• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Again I'm wondering why you think the electorate can't be lied too? They are not the arbiters of truth and justice. Donald Trump is the president, is that acceptable to you?
I...never said they couldn't be lied to. They aren't necessarily the arbiters of truth and justice, but they are the arbiters of who gets to lead them in a Republic.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Umm, placing polling standards on debate participation this late in the game isn't nearly the same thing as disallowing a specific individual from running for the nomination.

And, yeah, you figured it out, I'm actually in the tank for Bloomberg. Thinking the electorate has the right to decide who is our parties' nominee is such a ridiculous position it's impossible I could have arrived at it genuinely.
Yes it is. That was not a democratic process. That was, according to you, an authoritarian rule, implemented by the DNC and not the people. They have bared a candidate from being on stage that was not decided by the people.

Did the electorate decide not to allow booker on stage Matt? No they didn't. But youre ok with that. So then why are you also ok with bloomberg on the stage and changing the rules for him when this also wasn't democratically decided, but was done so by the DNC.

I'm sorry you don't like that I'm pointing out youre not being consistent with your positions here and that they favor Bloomberg, but you are being contradictory about when you want the DNC to use democracy as a cudgel to allow racist republicans on the ticket while also maintaining if they intefere with "democracy" they're exhibiting authoritarianism, but youre ok with that so long as an undemocratic polling threshold (set by the DNC aka authoritarianism according to you) bars the only black man from also getting a shot up on the stage.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Some more numbers from that Morning Consult National Poll

Black
Biden 34%
Sanders 30%
Bloomberg 19%
Warren 8%
Buttigieg 4%
Steyer 3%
Klobuchar 1%

Hispanic
Sanders 48%
Bloomberg 17%
Biden 13%
Buttigieg 8%
Warren 7%
Klobuchar 3%

White
Sanders 28%
Bloomberg 19%
Biden 15%
Buttigieg 14%
Warren 11%
Klobuchar 7%

Seriously, some people are going to be in for a rude awakening when they find out Bernie's coalition is very different from 2016.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At no point have I said the Democratic party doesn't have a right to place spending restrictions on campaigns. They do, and they should.

But that should be their reaction to Bloomberg's entry, not disallowing him specifically.

Ok, then they should restrict his ad spending and make sure he can't find a loophole. Glad we agree

I just feel like we should let minority voters decide how important Bloomberg's issues are to them

Ok, I'm Asian and on the LGBT+ label. Bloomberg is a absolute monster who is using mass ad spending combined with the light touch the media gives him to sweep his horrid policies under the rug.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I wish we had an anti-Bloomberg clause for the primary. There aren't any rules against him joining, unfortunately, and changing who can enter after the fact doesn't work. At this point the best that can be done is put him on a debate stage and murder him on live television.

I don't think he has a reasonable chance of getting the nom, personally.

there needs to be a limit to how much of your own money you can spend, I think. surprised this isn't a thing

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I would recommend studying what it means to be democratic. Part of that criteria is offering voters an actual choice. Allowing Bloomberg to be the nominee isn't just undemocratic because he bought it, it's undemocratic on the part of the party because there will then be no choice in the general election, which is the real metric we should be worried about. How a nominee is selected is much less relevant than the consequences of that choice when the vote is for who holds public office.
I really don't understand your point here. Are you saying party primaries are inherently undemocratic? Because no matter who wins the nomination, the Democratic party will be offering the public the exact same number of choices.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just feel like we should let minority voters decide how important Bloomberg's issues are to them
This is a disgusting comment to make in a country that routinely puts roadblocks to stop minorities from voting, has routinely made it as difficult as possible for them to be able to pay attention to politics rather than focus on their and their families survival. This is just a disgusting comment to make, what about the minorities who don't vote for Bloomberg, if he gets elected does that mean it's okay for Bloomberg to terrorize them again because some minorities voted for him?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
good ol democracy!

IBcyPJZ.png
Presidential campaigns should have a salary cap like in sports.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
there needs to be a limit to how much of your own money you can spend, I think. surprised this isn't a thing
I agree. I'd wager a guess that Bloomberg threatening to go third party in the presidential space so many times has prevented that from being a rule so far.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Bloomberg was a Republican for six years, which ended 13 years ago.

You don't want him in the race because you don't like him. Which, great, you shouldn't, I don't. But I don't believe you or me or anyone else should make that decision for the party. The voters should. That's how the system is supposed to work, and I find these arguments against the democratic process to be disheartening.
Some people here are essentially arguing "the people are too stupid to decide!" It boggles the mind they don't see the parallels they themselves are drawing.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yes it is. That was not a democratic process. That was, according to you, an authoritarian rule, implemented by the DNC and not the people. They have bared a candidate from being on stage that was not decided by the people.

Did the electorate decide not to allow booker on stage Matt? No they didn't. But youre ok with that. So then why are you also ok with bloomberg on the stage and changing the rules for him when this also wasn't democratically decided, but was done so by the DNC.

I'm sorry you don't like that I'm pointing out youre not being consistent with your positions here and that they favor Bloomberg, but you are being contradictory about when you want the DNC to use democracy as a cudgel to allow racist republicans on the ticket while also maintaining if they intefere with "democracy" they're exhibiting authoritarianism, but youre ok with that so long as an undemocratic polling threshold (set by the DNC aka authoritarianism according to you) bars the only black man from also getting a shot up on the stage.
OK, I'm not responding to this.

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be, kind of. Prior to 2000, it was standard practice to accept public funding for your campaign. The rules were you couldn't spend more than you received. Georgie Dubs realized he could make and spend more campaigning if he rejected public funding. That's now the standard.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I...never said they couldn't be lied to. They aren't necessarily the arbiters of truth and justice, but they are the arbiters of who gets to lead them in a Republic.
I don't get why you want to protect a fascist, racist billionaire who is buying the election so much but by all means, Donald Trump is leading our Republic right now, we should definitely keep letting people like him run.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This country can't even get a handle on how much corporations and PACs can contribute to campaigns. I couldn't imagine any court upholding restricting an individual using their own money for their own campaign.

Oct 27, 2017
It gets a lot harder to argue against 'both-sides'ing stuff when the Democratic party establishment (going off 538) seems to be even more willing to bend the knee to the racist oligarch trying to upend its primary process than the Republicans were when trump ran in 2016. At least the GOP tried to boot Trump out...

I'm not really worried because Bernie is going to beat Bloomberg easily, but it's upsetting to see Dems lineup to lick the boot.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't get why you want to protect a fascist, racist billionaire who is buying the election so much but by all means, Donald Trump is leading our Republic right now, we should definitely keep letting people like him run.
I'm not protecting anyone, I'm arguing for the democratic integrity of the process.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand your point here. Are you saying party primaries are inherently undemocratic? Because no matter who wins the nomination, the Democratic party will be offering the public the exact same number of choices.
I'm saying party primaries don't need to be democratic, because selecting a nominee is different from selecting a winner. The party's job should be to offer a candidate that is significantly and essentially different from their opponent. When that process fails, the party has failed. If the process as is leads to a non-choice general election (bloomberg v trump) then the process must be changed. Party primaries aren't measured by whether they are democratic - see caucuses.

This is all assuming the goal of the party is to create a democratic general election. Which may of course be an incorrect assumption. But that is what people's issue here is. I think that's the instinct that's upsetting them. They're just articulating it through frustration.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This is a disgusting comment to make in a country that routinely puts roadblocks to stop minorities from voting, has routinely made it as difficult as possible for them to be able to pay attention to politics rather than focus on their and their families survival. This is just a disgusting comment to make, what about the minorities who don't vote for Bloomberg, if he gets elected does that mean it's okay for Bloomberg to terrorize them again because some minorities voted for him?
The Democratic primary is one of the biggest way minorities can make their voices heard for who they want as president because they make up a huge percentage of primary voters.

If they decide they're okay with Bloomberg, who are we to tell them "no, you voted wrong, he's bad for you"

Like if Bloomberg starts getting a plurality of minority support, what then? What would that mean to you?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
well he basically is 3rd party running as a Dem, doing way more damage than he would as a 3rd party candidate.
But as a third party candidate he'd sink the chances of a democratic nominee. This way, he gets to lose where it doesn't matter.

That aside, him eating Biden's voter's at this point has been Bernie's best chance of both avoiding a contested convention and winning the nom.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What they're arguing is someone that has a lot more resources than any other candidate using those resources blanket the internet and airwaves in ads is unfair and inherently undemocratic.

When the most support goes to whoever has the most wealth to get it, we're officially an oligarchy.
I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand about this

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean,

1. Yes our entire electoral process is vastly undemocratic and needs sweeping reforms. This includes party primaries.

2. Even if we limit ourselves to the party primaries we cannot pretend that just because the ballot has all the candidates that this is a fair process nor should we pretend that said ballot is divorced from everything surrounding it. Bloomberg has exploited the faults of our system to gain a vast lead, he should be seen as why this entire system is shit.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not protecting anyone, I'm arguing for the democratic integrity of the process.
There is no democratic integrity where a billionaire is buying his way into the election, spending more money than almost the rest of the working class world has combined, and is lying about his record without any real pushback from the media due to them being afraid of his power, nor with anyone who has the power to stand up to him.

Do you think it's part of the democratic integrity when Trump uses his billions to buy facebook ads and lie about democrats wanting to implement sharia law?

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
But as a third party candidate he'd sink the chances of a democratic nominee. This way, he gets to lose where it doesn't matter.

That aside, him eating Biden's voter's at this point has been Bernie's best chance of both avoiding a contested convention and winning the nom.

he's starting to eat so much of Biden's vote that it won't matter. Getting him a bigger profile on a debate stage will just accelerate this, as well as Biden continuing to do horribly in the upcoming primaries.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm saying party primaries don't need to be democratic, because selecting a nominee is different from selecting a winner. The party's job should be to offer a candidate that is significantly and essentially different from their opponent. When that process fails, the party has failed. If the process as is leads to a non-choice general election (bloomberg v trump) then the process must be changed. Party primaries aren't measured by whether they are democratic - see caucuses.
Yeah, I just don't agree at all. Party members should have the choice of who runs their party. Failure in this case would be removing that choice from their hands.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Party primaries are inherently undemocratic. I mean, the dem primary is structured better than the general, but it isn't structured well.

he's starting to eat so much of Biden's vote that it won't matter. Getting him a bigger profile on a debate stage will just accelerate this, as well as Biden continuing to do horribly in the upcoming primaries.
I don't understand this planet you're living on where the other candidates don't attack Bloomberg and that doesn't lead to Bloomberg getting more hurt than helped. Like, the alternative is letting him spend billions to buy states and continue to rise without any push back. There's a reason why multiple campaigns requested that he be put on the debate stage.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Democratic primary is one of the biggest way minorities can make their voices heard for who they want as president because they make up a huge percentage of primary voters.

If they decide they're okay with Bloomberg, who are we to tell them "no, you voted wrong, he's bad for you"

Like if Bloomberg starts getting a plurality of minority support, what then? What would that mean to you?

Ok, there are minority people in this thread going "We don't like him". Do we don't count now?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Democratic integrity for a billionaire to buy an election what?

Where's the ignore button when you really need it.
I mean,

1. Yes our entire electoral process is vastly undemocratic and needs sweeping reforms. This includes party primaries.

2. Even if we limit ourselves to the party primaries we cannot pretend that just because the ballot has all the candidates that this is a fair process nor should we pretend that said ballot is divorced from everything surrounding it. Bloomberg has exploited the faults of our system to gain a vast lead, he should be seen as why this entire system is shit.
There is no democratic integrity where a billionaire is buying his way into the election, spending more money than almost the rest of the working class world has combined, and is lying about his record without any real pushback from the media due to them being afraid of his power, nor with anyone who has the power to stand up to him.

Do you think it's part of the democratic integrity when Trump uses his billions to buy facebook ads and lie about democrats wanting to implement sharia law?
So, again, the solution here is placing spending restrictions. Not disallowing specific individuals from running for the nomination.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Considering Tulsi Gabbard, Michael Bennett, and other no hopers was hitting minimum donation requirements, there's zero reason Bloomberg couldn't have opened up to donations and passed the threshold easily.

Hell, he even could've turned it to an advantage for him, limiting donations to only $1 or something, to prove that he didn't even need the donations.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
The posters point is that he very easily could've opened his campaign up for donations and meet the threshold given his polling numbers.
I don't think that would've happened without him spending an obscene amount of his own money first, which is what I take issue with personally.

This country can't even get a handle on how much corporations and PACs can contribute to campaigns. I couldn't imagine any court upholding restricting an individual using their own money for their own campaign.
Not wrong, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't yell from the rooftops that that's exactly what we want. Overturn Citizens United. Support campaign finance reform. I hope someone at the debate takes the opportunity to talk about this given Bloomberg's presence.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
The funny thing is, if Bloomberg wins the nomination somehow the most moral vote choice between the two evils is Trump. Bloomberg is almost identical except he is less likely to die from amphetamine abuse while in office.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There were German Jews who voted for Hitler also, who could we be to tell them "no, you voted wrong, he's bad for you"

Do you think Bloomberg would be good for minorities in this country based off his track record? Again, there will be black people who don't vote for Bloomberg, does that mean it's okay if he gets 30% of black support, or 60%, how much black support does he needs before it's okay for him to implement stop and frisk on a national level?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that would've happened without him spending an obscene amount of his own money first, which is what I take issue with personally.
I mean, no it wouldn't have happened without him spending an obscene amount of his own money first, but he can spend by the point he had spent his own money, he had bought himself a base big enough to get himself into the debates without breaking a sweat if he actually wanted to be in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.