• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good ol democracy!

IBcyPJZ.png

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we had an anti-Bloomberg clause for the primary. There aren't any rules against him joining, unfortunately, and changing who can enter after the fact doesn't work. At this point the best that can be done is put him on a debate stage and murder him on live television.

I don't think he has a reasonable chance of getting the nom, personally.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's disheartening to see people unironically support party rule by elites and fiat, rather than democratic support.

The Democratic nominee for President should be the person the party electorate chooses it to be. Not you nor I nor anyone else has the right to steal that decision from the party, even if a potential result would be incredibly distasteful.

Ok, Bloomberg should not be able to spend hundred of millions of dollars as that is a tremendous advantage he has over the other candidates, especially since he's using it in a way that undermines the already convoluted process. To pretend that his outrageous spending is not a circumvention of the system is just as idiotic as pretending that his problems are just "people don't like him".

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California

The thing about Bloomberg is he's basically just as racist as Trump, but he doesn't say it the same boisterous way Trump does, which means the media won't really hold his feet to the fire too much. They'll hold round table discussions on it, but no one will come out and just say Bloomberg is a racist fuck.

Bloomberg is literally a more competent, smarter Trump. He's the lawful evil to Trump's chaotic evil.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is some galaxy brain shit right here, the fact is a fascist should not be allowed in the Democratic party. I don't know what else to tell you, if you're disheartened by that then I suggest some introspection about what values you want from candidates running for office on the democratic ticket.

Buying your way into an election and lying about your history is not democratic support.

Even if the Democratic Party wanted him off the ballot, in the majority of states, whose on the primary ballot for both parties is determined by the legislature, not the party.

If the state primary rules in Kentucky say, "you need x" and Bloomberg does that, the DNC can say all they want, and it doesn't matter.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is probably going to pass Biden in endorsements before Nevada.

Even if he doesn't win the nomination, the fact so much of the party was ready to kneel down and crown him king because he's a rich billionaire should scare fucking everyone.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not have a moderator on this site that is supposed to protect minorities try to shame people into not wanting a fascist, racist, transphobic, islamophobic, MBS/Epstein/Weinstein buddying, climate change profiting, poor-hating, sexual harassing piece of shit billionaire who is lying about his record and using his billions of dollars to trick the electorate on the democratic ticket, and think maybe it'd be best to stop this guy from causing irreversible damage to our most vulnerable people?

"I'm disheartened people don't want to support the democratic process" uh yeah I don't want another billionaire fascist in office dude.

No, people are arguing that the Democratic Party shouldn't be the ones who pick and choose who can run, that the voters should be trusted to pick the best candidate.

Otherwise you're giving the party power to decide whoever they want to run or not run. Power taken away from voters to decide for themselves if the candidate is worthy or not

This is ignoring the realities of the situation where a billionaire has infinitely more power to corrupt the institutions that voters rely on to make accurate assessments of what kind of person they're voting for. Bloomberg literally bought his way into a third term by buying off and threatening council members in NYC, we already see a number of democrats falling in line. The media is already portraying attacks on his record as "smears" from other campaigns. Bloomberg has the power to corrupt and he is doing so.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is some galaxy brain shit right here, the fact is a fascist should not be allowed in the Democratic party. I don't know what else to tell you, if you're disheartened by that then I suggest some introspection about what values you want from candidates running for office on the democratic ticket.

Buying your way into an election and lying about your history is not democratic support.
I wish he wouldn't run. But he is. And the qualifications are and will likely always be basic. There is no litmus test for running on any ticket as long as you're otherwise qualified to run as president and have made any deadlines.

Sucks he can just buy infinite ads and blast them nonstop, taking advantage of people that don't pay attention that much or don't care about his racism and shitty policies. That's a symptom of a long-term erosion of involvement and education as it relates to civics in this county. But the fact is that he's doing it. And as a result, he's rising in the polls to become a legitimate threat and a contender for the nomination unchecked without having to run a traditional primary.

Which means he needs to be on the debate stage. Otherwise, he will continue to go unchallenged for months and will greatly increase his chances of forcing a brokered convention where all hell would break loose and anything could happen.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's disheartening to see people unironically support party rule by elites and fiat, rather than democratic support.

The Democratic nominee for President should be the person the party electorate chooses it to be. Not you nor I nor anyone else has the right to steal that decision from the party, even if a potential result would be incredibly distasteful.
The irony in your position is that youre being hypocrticial in what you think is and isn't ok to be decided by the party. Earlier you said you were ok with them changing the rules to allow bloomberg on. You also said you were ok with them making rules that dont allow Corey booker on because he was in 10th place. But then when we argue against a republican fascist being allowed on youre not ok with them doing anything about it in the name of democracy. In some cases you seem to think its acceptable for them to decide who gets to go on their platform even if it belies a democratic process, but then in the case of a racist fascist youre chalking up changes theyre making as apart of the democratic process despite the fact that its actually only being decided on, as you put it, authoritarian rules.

Youre not being consistent with your arguments and that they seem to strongly favor Bloomberg is a bit suspect.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ok, Bloomberg should not be able to spend hundred of millions of dollars as that is a tremendous advantage he has over the other candidates, especially since he's using it in a way that undermines the already convoluted process. To pretend that his outrageous spending is not a circumvention of the system is just as idiotic as pretending that his problems are just "people don't like him".
At no point have I said the Democratic party doesn't have a right to place spending restrictions on campaigns. They do, and they should.

But that should be their reaction to Bloomberg's entry, not disallowing him specifically.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we had an anti-Bloomberg clause for the primary. There aren't any rules against him joining, unfortunately, and changing who can enter after the fact doesn't work. At this point the best that can be done is put him on a debate stage and murder him on live television.

I mean they were rules that would hamper him, like the minimum number of donations. But they're gone now.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish he wouldn't run. But he is. And the qualifications are and will likely always be basic. There is no litmus test for running on any ticket as long as you're otherwise qualified to run as president and have made any deadlines.

Sucks he can just buy infinite ads and blast them nonstop, taking advantage of people that don't pay attention that much or don't care about his racism and shitty policies. That's a symptom of a long-term erosion of involvement and education as it relates to civics in this county. But the fact is that he's doing it. And as a result, he's rising in the polls to become a legitimate threat and a contender for the nomination unchecked without having to run a traditional primary.
I understand the realities of it but acting like this is a normal thing and we should be shamed into going along with it and accepting it as the "democratic process", I'm not buying it.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Which means he needs to be on the debate stage. Otherwise, he will continue to go unchallenged for months and will greatly increase his chances of forcing a brokered convention where all hell would break loose and anything could happen.

There's this weird idea the DNC can just say, "Mike Bloomberg is a bad person, and he's officially not a Democrat," and that's that.

That won't stop him from being able to get on the ballot, because primary ballot rules are decided by state legislatures, not state parties.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not distorting anything. You don't like him, you shouldn't, he's gross and awful and unfit for the office, that's all true. But our feelings on him should not be the arbiter of who gets to be the Democratic parties nominee. The voters should decide that, that's their right. Otherwise what's the point of all this?
I listed out criteria that youre glossing over to get to a "you just dont like him" categorization of my argument, which isn't really different than when people on the internet get caught in dog whistles saying "you just dont like that its my opinion!". I don't like bloomberg. But thats not why i think he shouldn't be allowed on the platform and I listed my reasons to you several times over that I wish you would actually continue arguing over instead of trying to wrongly assert that I'm trying to kick him off because I don't like him.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At no point have I said the Democratic party doesn't have a right to place spending restrictions on campaigns. They do, and they should.

But that should be their reaction to Bloomberg's entry, not disallowing him specifically.
If they can change the rules to allow Bloomberg on the debate stage, then they should be able to change the rules to do whatever they want to protect black people from another racist fascist being the nominee of the two major parties.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not distorting anything. You don't like him, you shouldn't, he's gross and awful and unfit for the office, that's all true. But our feelings on him should not be the arbiter of who gets to be the Democratic parties nominee. The voters should decide that, that's their right. Otherwise what's the point of all this?
You're ignoring the power he holds and how he himself is corrupting the democratic process. It's not feelings, it's about protecting minorities in this country. It's about SURVIVAL.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to preface this by saying this is the last post I'm going to make on this subject, because I know exactly what is going on here.

I guess my point is I don't know what you're asking me to provide for evidence--and I suspect that really is the point. Is the only non-anecdotal evidence you're willing to accept me literally linking posts on here? Because I'm not going to do that. I provided quite a few links to various sources establishing--mostly just this election cycle--that Sanders has a subset of his base that is incredibly active online, and incredibly toxic.

The reality is this; if one person calls you an asshole, it might be on them, if many different people say you're an asshole, you might actually be an asshole. If everyone kind of acknowledges that this issue exists, it's more than likely an actual issue. You can either try to excise those people from the movement you guys care about, or deny it's a problem.

Copied the wrong link for that article, fixed it now.

And those people should be criticized for that. I have never said they should not. But this kind of runs counter to your entire post especially the part later one where you criticize me for making generalizations. None the less, I firmly believe those people should be held accountable.

I have never once said things Sanders did are the reason why I think his supporters are toxic. You're conflating two entirely different concepts here. The bigger problem is, like I've said, is his supporters which disproportionately seem to be toxic. I do on many levels support Sanders. I helped send him to the Senate twice, donated to him in 2015 (and again in 2016), and voted for him in the Democratic Primary in 2016. My issue is with the people and their actions. I don't think all Sanders supporters are toxic nightmares, but he disproportionately has them compared to other candidates--and I believe I said as much.

You won't catch me defending Bloomberg or Mayor Pete as some great candidate, but tearing down people who are considering voting for those people is not exactly a good way to convince them they are making a poor choice. I won't say they are as bad as Donald Trump, granted Bloomberg has said some really terrible things on race that should never be forgiven, but I can understand why people would back him--he's running the right kind of campaign to be effective, seizing on an opportunity that he saw. Both have said and done reprehensible things while Mayor of their cities, and caused a ton of damage to communities of color, that much is undeniable. I still think both of them are better for this country than Donald Trump, and understand why some people support them. I disagree with them, and I will vehemently express that while trying to convince them otherwise respectfully, but I understand it.

Hmm, right.

Did you just write up a wall of text beginning with 'I'm just gonna get my last word in and leave before a rebuttal can come,' accuse me of some vague sinister motives knowing full well you were bowing out before a response could come, all while talking about how much you can't stand online toxicity?

Cool.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The irony in your position is that youre being hypocrticial in what you think is and isn't ok to be decided by the party. Earlier you said you were ok with them changing the rules to allow bloomberg on. You also said you were ok with them making rules that dont allow Corey booker on because he was in 10th place. But then when we argue against a republican fascist being allowed on youre not ok with them doing anything about it in the name of democracy. In some cases you seem to think its acceptable for them to decide who gets to go on their platform even if it belies a democratic process, but then in the case of a racist fascist youre chalking up changes theyre making as apart of the democratic process despite the fact that its actually only being decided on, as you put it, authoritarian rules.

Youre not being consistent with your arguments and that they seem to strongly favor Bloomberg is a bit suspect.
Umm, placing polling standards on debate participation this late in the game isn't nearly the same thing as disallowing a specific individual from running for the nomination.

And, yeah, you figured it out, I'm actually in the tank for Bloomberg. Thinking the electorate has the right to decide who is our parties' nominee is such a ridiculous position it's impossible I could have arrived at it genuinely.

Jas

Oct 28, 2017
Some more numbers from that Morning Consult National Poll

Black
Biden 34%
Sanders 30%
Bloomberg 19%
Warren 8%
Buttigieg 4%
Steyer 3%
Klobuchar 1%

Hispanic
Sanders 48%
Bloomberg 17%
Biden 13%
Buttigieg 8%
Warren 7%
Klobuchar 3%

White
Sanders 28%
Bloomberg 19%
Biden 15%
Buttigieg 14%
Warren 11%
Klobuchar 7%

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thank god he doesn't. Even if it goes to a brokered convention, I see two things stopping him.

1) I think the institutional superdelegates will want an actual Dem, which will block Bloomberg (but also Bernie), and

2) Bernie will largely have a plurality, and even if he can't get it himself, he could probably ally with whichever moderate gives him the most in order to stop Bloomberg. This means I think Biden would win as long as he remains viable, as Buttigieg could live to fight another day, and Biden would likely be a one-termer who might have to let go of power to the VP any day.

At worst, the 2024 field will be much stronger.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018

Black
Biden 34%
Sanders 30%
Bloomberg 19%
Warren 8%
Buttigieg 4%
Steyer 3%
Klobuchar 1%

Hispanic
Sanders 48%
Bloomberg 17%
Biden 13%
Buttigieg 8%
Warren 7%
Klobuchar 3%

White
Sanders 28%
Bloomberg 19%
Biden 15%
Buttigieg 14%
Warren 11%
Klobuchar 7%

This is seriously starting to look like a winning coalition for Sanders. Amazing diversity.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umm, placing polling standards on debate participation this late in the game isn't nearly the same thing as disallowing a specific individual from running for the nomination.

And, yeah, you figured it out, I'm actually in the tank for Bloomberg. Thinking the electorate has the right to decide who is our parties' nominee is such a ridiculous position it's impossible I could have arrived at it genuinely.
Again I'm wondering why you think the electorate can't be lied too? They are not the arbiters of truth and justice. Donald Trump is the president, is that acceptable to you?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I mean they were rules that would hamper him, like the minimum number of donations. But they're gone now.
Based on his polling, he would have shattered that anyway. The rules didn't envision someone actually being able and willing to actually self-fund a full-blown presidential campaign and actively reject donations. It's unheard of until now. And so it makes sense to update them to reflect that new reality.

The intent of the rule was to indicate you had some level of competent support. Bloomberg making a self-imposed rule to not accept donations, yet rise in the polls like he has been doing, clearly shows viable support is there. Even if he did it by buying himself millions of dollars of advertising, buying high end equipment for his now massive staff, and paying them a starting salary of $70,000 a year.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Bloomberg gaining support from minorities in recent polls?
The only reason they're supporting him is because he's pushing himself to be a supporter of minorities, us minorities who know are continuing to spread his past and what I've learned is that some genuinely didn't know.

Ads are that powerful.

The minority support isn't going to be permanent.

Explain. I've clearly articulated my thoughts I think. Hopefully you're not conflating the fact that this is the reality with support of Bloomberg or what he's doing.
Nah your post isn't what I have trouble with, sorry if I wasn't being specific.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't "support party rule by the elites" but very cool of you to put words in my mouth.

I support campaign finance reform that wouldn't allow a billionaire to use their own wealth to fund a political campaign. I guess this means I don't really want democracy.

You continue to ignore how Bloomberg is even relevant to this primary in the first place (hint: it's not due to a grassroots efforts in support of his policies) which is what the issue is.

Like how do you look at this and not see an issue?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely doubt that it would impact him negatively.
It's also about the point where they broke rules to let Bloomberg, the DNC did have some Anti-Bloomberg rules.
They didn't have rules to bar him from entering. And ignoring the fact that he's now in third place at this point would be insane, and booting him out of the entire primary would hurt his supporters (likely also get him to spend his billions on a third party bid like he always threatens). I also really doubt he comes out of the debate better than he entered.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think maybe media companies would be nicer to Bloomberg when he's directly giving them so much money?
Bloomberg spending so much money also affects the ability for other campaigns to get messaging.

Ad inventory is not unlimited. There's only so many minutes per hour of television, and so many pre-roll videos on youtube. When he purchases them it raises the price for other campaigns.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Black
Biden 34%
Sanders 30%
Bloomberg 19%
Warren 8%
Buttigieg 4%
Steyer 3%
Klobuchar 1%

Hispanic
Sanders 48%
Bloomberg 17%
Biden 13%
Buttigieg 8%
Warren 7%
Klobuchar 3%

White
Sanders 28%
Bloomberg 19%
Biden 15%
Buttigieg 14%
Warren 11%
Klobuchar 7%

Now that's what I call unity.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Based on his polling, he would have shattered that anyway. The rules didn't envision someone actually being able and willing to actually self-fund a full-blown presidential campaign and actively reject donations. It's unheard of until now. And so it makes sense to update them to reflect that new reality.

The intent of the rule was to indicate you had some level of competent support. Bloomberg making a self-imposed rule to not accept donations, yet rise in the polls like he has been doing, clearly shows viable support is there. Even if he did it by buying himself millions of dollars of advertising, buying high end equipment for his now massive staff, and paying them a starting salary of $70,000 a year.
Polling isn't donations.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
this is kind of a wild assertion, though! like, it bears more than a passing resemblance to the "you have no evidence that I literally said you give me X and I give you Y, therefore, no quid pro quo" argument that trump has made!
I mean, no it doesn't. Trump clearly said something that amounted to a quid pro quo (not the mention the reams of other evidence that overwhelmingly established it) but argued that because he didn't literally say the words "quid pro quo" it didn't happen. Bloomberg did in fact donate money to the DNC months ago (a fairly normal thing for democrats, the DNC gets tens of millions of dollars in donations; donations are not inherently corrupt), but you don't have a shred of evidence tying that to the DNC's choice to do away with the donor requirements once people started voting and there are several good arguments that the donor threshold is not useful and, in fact, is actively harmful when you have a self-funding candidate passing up half the field and allies of other candidates are complaining it's unfair and shielding him from scrutiny.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I listed out criteria that youre glossing over to get to a "you just dont like him" categorization of my argument, which isn't really different than when people on the internet get caught in dog whistles saying "you just dont like that its my opinion!". I don't like bloomberg. But thats not why i think he shouldn't be allowed on the platform and I listed my reasons to you several times over that I wish you would actually continue arguing over instead of trying to wrongly assert that I'm trying to kick him off because I don't like him.
I've responded to your points on why he should be disallowed and I don't find them to be compelling practical reasons to not allow his participation in the race. They seem to boil down to "his positions don't represent the policies the Democratic party should embody," which I certainly agree with, but that is a decision that belongs to the Democratic primary voters, not anyone else.

If i'm missing something in your argument, please tell me.

Oct 25, 2017

I would recommend studying what it means to be democratic. Part of that criteria is offering voters an actual choice. Allowing Bloomberg to be the nominee isn't just undemocratic because he bought it, it's undemocratic on the part of the party because there will then be no choice in the general election, which is the real metric we should be worried about. How a nominee is selected is much less relevant than the consequences of that choice when the vote is for who holds public office.

Status
Not open for further replies.