• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
But you'll argue for capitulating and taking money from an authoritarian racist and allowing him into the field while trying to suggest a candidate who has been part of the party for decades and is on the same spectrum as the party should would be equally disqualified (despite the fact i already gave my reasoning for the distinction).

I think if you want to run on the party's ticket you at the very least, shouldnt be oppositional to their positions IE being a republican. I wouldnt call such a stipulation authoritarian either lol
Hu? Bernie has always been an independent. He changed parties to run for the Democratic nomination in 2015, changed back to an independent in between, and then switched back to a Democrat last year to run again for the nomination.

Bloomberg has significantly more years as a Democrat under his belt than Bernie does.

sebco

Oct 27, 2017

So pretty much confirmed it's going to be Bernie vs everyone else, including Warren at the debate. Considering how critical debates have been in the lead-up to Iowa & NH, I'm really curious to see how Bernie handles the incoming. No doubt Chuck Todd will set-up endless gotcha's for him as well.

Wow, Tom went full fake friend. Can't believe it, this shit hurts...

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to stop replying to you. I cannot in good faith continue to argue with you about this when you are being purposefully disingenuous. Without sarcasm, it is genuinely depressing.

Actually, he shouldn't be running in the Democratic primary in the first place, but the DNC (and others, apparently) would rather vote for a known racist, transphobic, misogynist Republican than anyone who would actually want to support the working class.
I'm sorry, you're not making any sense. Yes, I wish he wasn't running and instead blowing his money on supporting Dem candidates. But stating that he has the ability to run, like anyone else otherwise qualified for the office, does not mean that the DNC "and others" want to vote for him. It's just a statement of fact that he has the right to run if the very low qualifications are met.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So pretty much confirmed it's going to be Bernie vs everyone else, including Warren at the debate. Considering how critical debates have been in the lead-up to Iowa & NH, I'm really curious to see how Bernie handles the incoming. No doubt Chuck Todd will set-up endless gotcha's for him as well.

YOU WERE MY BROTHER TOM

YOU WERE THE CHOSEN BILLIONAIRE

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Unless were saying there are no distinctions between the republicans and democrats I'm not sure I agree with this
The distinctions aren't always clear cut

How many Republican ideals do you have to hold? Which Republicans? Trump? Charlie Baker? Which Democrats? AOC? Manchin?

Like, should Tulsi Gabbard be allowed to run as a Democrat? She's more or less mostly as conservative as Bloomberg, but nobody ever brings her up and progressives seem to actually like her.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if....Bloomberg does very well at the first debate he attends? Everyone in here seemingly thinks he'll either shit himself or wilt like a flower when the others attack him.
If he does well at the first debate (which I'd be surprised to see, honestly) then the rest of the people on stage have failed. There's SO much to go after him on-- his racism, transphobia, his conservatism, his associations, his ill-gotten third term as mayor, his support of Bush, etc-- that if he does well on that stage then we have a weaker field than we thought. Warren and Sanders alone should be able to utterly dismantle him.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
But they didn't change the rules for that reason.
why did they change it? (don't say "duh because he donated to the DNC". you don't actually have any evidence the donation was what motivated the change vs them recognizing how ridiculous it is to exclude a person who is increasingly shooting up the polls higher than half the candidates on the stage)

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie gets the nomination MSNBC is gonna need to hire Krystal Ball or something because we're gonna need atleast one Sean Hannity tier homer to balance out all of the the "Bernie's gonna execute me" hacks that are on there every night

or just fire Chris Matthews and hire real journalists I guess

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
so bloomberg shows up to a debate and people think he's just going to be asked about his racist past, his connections to epstein, what it's like being a literal monster, etc

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
What if....Bloomberg does very well at the first debate he attends? Everyone in here seemingly thinks he'll either shit himself or wilt like a flower when the others attack him.
Then you'll see a lot more people start to excuse his racism and sexism. "No, you see, the OTHER racist billionaire is bad. THIS one is fine."

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
I realize there is no way to stop it from happening, but "letting voters decide" comes across as a really strange point when those voters are being showered in hundreds of millions of dollars of ads from a billionaire's pocket. And when that billionaire is bribing Democrat politicians and owns a massive news corporation and has former staff at many other major outlets.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So you made a broad generalization, and that backed that up with anecdotes, some being from people who have a vested interest in attacking Sanders? For example, the second link is Pete Buttigieg comparing Sanders supporters to Trump's. Also, since you are linking that as proof, should I take it that you agree with Pete that Sander's supporters are like Trump supporters?

The link you gave for the Culinary Union being "attacked" is, in fact, about the union attacking Sanders (and lying about his positions to boot). Did you mean to link something else?

I was hoping for something more substantial when you make such a broad claim attacking so many people.

I don't think this is a game you should really be playing either. It's not like supporters of other candidates have never tried to erase the identities of minority Sanders supporters, mock and shame a loyal democrat voter of 20 years who is poor and disabled for saying he feels taken advantage of by democrats, called a poc supporting Sanders an "invader," and so on.

Which doesn't even speak to some of the policies and behaviors supporters of people like Pete or Bloomberg endorse with their support. Personally, I'm of a mind that people who support a bigoted billionaire who thinks the police are his army, all minorities are criminals, who spiked homelessness in his city 80%, etc, are pretty toxic, but there's really no point in me going "Wow, Pete/Bloomberg/Klobuchar/Warren/Biden/whoever else supporters are so toxic!" because it's petty, stupid, non-productive, and not even a falsifiable claim.

So let me reiterate: Maybe you should stop making broad incendiary generalizations. If you don't like toxicity, don't contribute to it.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to stop replying to you. I cannot in good faith continue to argue with you about this when you are being purposefully disingenuous. Without sarcasm, it is genuinely depressing.

Actually, he shouldn't be running in the Democratic primary in the first place, but the DNC (and others, apparently) would rather vote for a known racist, transphobic, misogynist Republican than anyone who would actually want to support the working class.
There is absolutely nothing disingenuous about what I'm saying.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Reminder some in the media were framing the Bloomberg tape as an attack from a Bernie Bro, rather than calling it out for what it is.

if you think moderators in debates will ask him the right questions you're naive

we gain nothing from bending the rules to allow him onstage. He's our trump.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you think the reason was?

www.vice.com

Mike Bloomberg Gave the DNC $300K Two Days Before He Entered the 2020 Race

And now the DNC is changing its rules in a way very favorable to ... Mike Bloomberg.

Was this debunked?

Edit because I just saw this

why did they change it? (don't say "duh because he donated to the DNC". you don't actually have any evidence the donation was what motivated the change vs them recognizing how ridiculous it is to exclude a person who is increasingly shooting up the polls higher than half the candidates on the stage)

Why wouldn't I say this? He gave them 300,000 dollars, then they changed the rules in his favor.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hu? Bernie has always been an independent. He changed parties to run for the Democratic nomination in 2015, changed back to an independent in between, and then switched back to a Democrat last year to run again for the nomination.

Bloomberg has significantly more years as a Democrat under his belt than Bernie does.
Bloomberg literally is a republican running as a democrat. Bernie is a socdem (self defined) running as a democrat. I'm not arguing for time spent registered as a democrat or not. Bloomberg is a republican and as such should not be allowed to run on their ticket. People making it out like the process for discerning who and who couldnt run (or calling it authoritarianism lol) are not doing so in good faith (arguing openly that bloomberg is more of a democrat than bernie is also bad faith). Were not saying independents or non dems can't run. We are saying republicans pretending to be democrats for their own advantage to push their republican goals shouldnt be allowed to run. And that shouldnt be controversial to say.

Also the democrats shouldnt change rules to allow them to further their campaign. I don't care whether or not anyone thinks it will help or hurt them. They shouldn't be doing it.
The distinctions aren't always clear cut

How many Republican ideals do you have to hold? Which Republicans? Trump? Charlie Baker? Which Democrats? AOC? Manchin?

Like, should Tulsi Gabbard be allowed to run as a Democrat? She's more or less mostly as conservative as Bloomberg, but nobody ever brings her up and progressives seem to actually like her.
I mean its really not hard to draw a line with bloomberg and the other people you listed. If the difference isn't clear I can direct you to his long history as a Republican mayor and positions hes espoused since that time.

I don't ever see any progressives that actually like Tulsi other than some people here just continuously trying to assert that thats the actual case.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017

Those are two different arguments, though. The fact is, he *is* running in the Democratic primary, so how do you handle that? I think forcing him to explain his views on stage is better than having him pump endless ads into the ether.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
www.vice.com

Mike Bloomberg Gave the DNC $300K Two Days Before He Entered the 2020 Race

And now the DNC is changing its rules in a way very favorable to ... Mike Bloomberg.

Was this debunked?
yeah, this article just asserts that thing A happened and thing B happened later with nothing actually tying together the two actions. It's a classic post hoc fallacy to say that since B happened after A, B was influenced by A. The fact is you have no idea whether the money was what motivated them to change the rules and asserting that it obviously was is complicated by the fact that bloomberg is, unfortunately, doing quite well in polling and we had reports of *progressives* lobbying the DNC to change the rules because they felt excluding bloomberg from debates was letting him avoid scrutiny.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so bloomberg shows up to a debate and people think he's just going to be asked about his racist past, his connections to epstein, what it's like being a literal monster, etc
Even if the moderators don't ask him, any competent candidate will. I think the moderators at minimum ask about stop and frisk. I don't think Epstein gets brought up by anyone.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

Pete actually fucked ruled twelve months ago

That doesn't really contradict what I said. Even back then, he was saying that Medicare for All Who Want It was a glidepath to Medicare for All, which is what he still says now though because he's started messaging towards moderates more and more the messaging has shifted from "Medicare for All is the goal and we'll get there eventually" to "People don't want to be kicked off their private insurance." But if you look closely at we he's said on healthcare, it hasn't really changed much. His whole "If Democrats are right that a government-run plan is better, then eventually everyone will switch to it under a public option system" has been there from day one.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
If he does well at the first debate (which I'd be surprised to see, honestly) then the rest of the people on stage have failed. There's SO much to go after him on-- his racism, transphobia, his conservatism, his associations, his ill-gotten third term as mayor, his support of Bush, etc-- that if he does well on that stage then we have a weaker field than we thought. Warren and Sanders alone should be able to utterly dismantle him.
Sure, all of this is will 100% happen, but I'm asking more about what happens if he artfully swats those criticisms aside or shows genuine contrition (or at least what viewers decide is genuine)?

He's now getting endorsements from prominent AA figures. If that continues I would think that a lot of people will feel "well if they can forgive him so can we."

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not sure the debate will have the effect many are hoping. Not saying he'll go out there and smack everyone, but if he simply looks competent and steady and able to impressively defend himself he will surely become the clear Bernie alternative.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What you think will happen: "Mr. Bloomberg, can you defend your statements on stop-and-frisk, transgender Americans, and allegations of sexual harrassment from your employees?"

What will actually happen: "Senator Sanders, you draw very large crowds. President Trump draws large crowds. Can Dem voters trust someone with so many glaring similarities to Donald Trump?"

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
any of the career politicians who he is trying to muscle out of their own game
Maybe. I wouldn't expect any of those mentions to be particularly scathing. Maybe from Warren since she has the personality and presence to pull it off and could benefit the most. But I don't expect any of these people to do anything to the degree many posters seem to want or expect.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What you think will happen: "Mr. Bloomberg, can you defend your statements on stop-and-frisk, transgender Americans, and allegations of sexual harrassment from your employees?"

What will actually happen: "Senator Sanders, you draw very large crowds. President Trump draws large crowds. Can Dem voters trust someone with so many glaring similarities to Donald Trump?"
Lol, not exactly wrong

Remember when we all thought Pete was gonna be taken to task for lying about his SC black support and it wasn't even brought up once

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fascists who use the police force in their city as a private army to terrorize minorities should be banned from being on the democratic ticket.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Maybe. I wouldn't expect any of those mentions to be particularly scathing. Maybe from Warren since she has the personality and presence to pull it off and could benefit the most. But I don't expect any of these people to do anything to the degree many posters seem to want or expect.
maybe not but like the idea that stop and frisk won't be brought up seems unrealistic then we'll at least have an idea if he has a plan

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think there's any way that Bernie doesn't go after Bloomberg directly on the debate stage and as the "frontrunner" now him doing so will force the issue.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Bloomberg literally is a republican running as a democrat. Bernie is a socdem (self defined) running as a democrat. I'm not arguing for time spent registered as a democrat or not. Bloomberg is a republican and as such should not be allowed to run on their ticket. People making it out like the process for discerning who and who couldnt run (or calling it authoritarianism lol) are not doing so in good faith (arguing openly that bloomberg is more of a democrat than bernie is also bad faith). Were not saying independents or non dems can't run. We are saying republicans pretending to be democrats for their own advantage to push their republican goals shouldnt be allowed to run. And that shouldnt be controversial to say.

Also the democrats shouldnt change rules to allow them to further their campaign. I don't care whether or not anyone thinks it will help or hurt them. They shouldn't be doing it.

I mean its really not hard to draw a line with bloomberg and the other people you listed. If the difference isn't clear I can direct you to his long history as a Republican mayor and positions hes espoused since that time.

I don't ever see any progressives that actually like Tulsi other than some people here just continuously trying to assert that thats the actual case.
Bloomberg was a Republican for six years, which ended 13 years ago.

You don't want him in the race because you don't like him. Which, great, you shouldn't, I don't. But I don't believe you or me or anyone else should make that decision for the party. The voters should. That's how the system is supposed to work, and I find these arguments against the democratic process to be disheartening.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bloomberg is an asshat as a person and candidate, but he's got good people in his media team. His ads that I've seen are on point and this social attack is good. Hopefully whoever wins the primary actually lets his media team run a bit without interference using whatever is left of the billion rather than think they know better - the Dems media has been bad for years in my opinion

twitter.com

Mike Bloomberg on Twitter

“.@realDonaldTrump - we know many of the same people in NY. Behind your back they laugh at you & call you a carnival barking clown. They know you inherited a fortune & squandered it with stupid deals and incompetence. I have the record & the resources to defeat you. And I will...

Oct 27, 2017

Not even a joke, just pure reality

It's going to be incumbent on the candidates to attack Bloomberg without being prompted by the mods. Warren is already fading fast, maybe she'll go for the Hail Mary and harass Bloomberg at the end of every answer.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Agreed with all of you that it must be Anyone But Bloomberg. He can't be allowed to just steal this thing. I will still never forgive him for eliminating term limits for himself in NYC.

Oct 25, 2017
Fascists who use the police force in their city as a private army to terrorize minorities should be banned from being on the democratic ticket.
Facts, the fact that some dems are entertaining this shows a lot.
Well, I knew, but hopefully others wake up to it.

Bloomberg would 100% be a worse president than Trump, given that the fucker has been terrorising minorities in an official capacity years ago.

Now the fucker is buying people out.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Attacking Bloomberg does not deviate from Sander's core message that money corrupts politics and that the greed of the billionaire class has destroyed the planet.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

The thing about Bloomberg is he's basically just as racist as Trump, but he doesn't say it the same boisterous way Trump does, which means the media won't really hold his feet to the fire too much. They'll hold round table discussions on it, but no one will come out and just say Bloomberg is a racist fuck.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

The thing about Bloomberg is he's basically just as racist as Trump, but he doesn't say it the same boisterous way Trump does, which means the media won't really hold his feet to the fire too much. They'll hold round table discussions on it, but no one will come out and just say Bloomberg is a racist fuck.

"
Bloomberg stopped short of advocating a similar policy in the U.S., saying the tactics "don't fit our definition of democracy," but the mayor said that American lawmakers might have something to learn from about protecting citizens' well-being.

"I’m not suggesting we go kill ‘em. But when you talk to people overseas, they can’t understand why we allow people to deal in drugs [that] are killing people," he said."

I'm not suggesting we execute them BUUUUUUT

Status
Not open for further replies.