• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember when Bernie Bros were like MAGA voters?

Shyamalan twist

Turns out the accusers were more like them all along. Who could have foreseen such a thing? They have the gall to pretend they care about social issues, the gall to pretend they care about minorities. All they really do is use them as a shield, and the moment real progressive change comes along they defend voting for the status quo who comes in the shape of Michael Bloomberg. Anyone but Trump? What does that actually mean when you're voting for that same system? lmao
Very true.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really productive to be shaming people over hypothetical scenarios that no one in this thread actually want?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing the corporate worthless media freaking out over Bernie Sanders.

Their fear and torment gives me life.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Bloomberg wins the election, it means he bought his way to the nomination and the presidency. If he actually disagrees with what the Dems are passing through Congress, why WOULDN'T he block it?

Who is going to stop him?
Why wouldn't he block it? Because he's vain and he cares more about image than any particular policy. Being seen as blocking the larger party when the reason he won would likely be because people who voted him in by and large had no idea about the details of his record and thought he was just a generic democrat with a generic platform. So, if the dems can deliver something to him, he'd pass it. Otherwise he'd have nothing to pass. And if he has nothing to pass, it'd hurt his image.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a weird data point. FWIW, democrats came out to vote last night 2:1 in comparison to Republicans:

2020 NH Republican Turnout = ‭~145,000
2020 NH Democratic Turnout = ~295,000

Turnout last night was bigger than 2008 as well.

I don't have data points but I'd imagine turnout for uncontested primaries will always be lower for that party. What should be concerning for democrats is how much higher the turnout was for Trump's uncontested primary compared to past ones. Will be interesting to see how it is in the upcoming primaries to see if it's a random outlier or not

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
you cannot 'minus' brexit from the results of the uk election, it was far more a second referendum on brexit than it had anything to do with policy or platform (most of which, labour was quite popular in)

Yeah taking out Brexit is a take that makes no sense. It was by far the biggest issue in the election for older people especially.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
The only way Bloomberg would be better than Trump is that he wouldn't openly say a lot of the vile shit Trump is saying, and literally only because he decided to run D rather than primary Trump. If you think he'd put forth acceptably progressive judge nominees in the Judicial branch to counteract the judges Trump's administration has put forth, or that he'd stop the border crisis of caging children, or that he'd do anything worthwhile in combating climate change, you're foolishly, dangerously naive. Though I haven't seen it yet, I fully expect it to happen, so let me say: If you think shaming PoC or LGBTQ+ voters into voting for him in any election, especially a primary, it goes to show you refuse to acknowledge your own privilege.

Trump once said he would run Republican if he ever ran for president because they're easy to trick. If you at any point in the future vote Bloomberg, you're proving, hey, Democrats are just as easily tricked too! The man was donating to Republicans up until two years ago. TWO YEARS.

P.S.: If you were a Warren supporter, and now you're jumping to Bloomberg, please stop pretending you were ever progressive or cared about marginalized people. At least have some dignity and keep up the act by jumping to other pretenders like Pete or something.

That's 100% what I expect. I have no reason to trust this man whatsoever.

The thing to remember is that Corbyn was also incredibly unpopular. On the flipside, Bernie is in actual fact one of the most popular US politicians. I honestly feel like we're not going to see a repeat of the UK elections here if Bernie is the nominee because of that. Like it or not, a lot of voters do just see elections as popularity contests, not voting solely on policy. Then, of course, there was Brexit too, and Corbyn was a fence-sitter on that issue because of how divided UK leftists were on the issue. Enough voters who weren't particularly aligned to any party who would otherwise vote for Labour wanted Brexit (though perhaps not a Tory-led Brexit) to override everything else Corbyn offered. The American equivalent to voting on Brexit would be Trump, and well, inherently voting for anyone but Trump is a vote against Trump, so that's a non-issue for Bernie as well.
It's very possible bernie's popularity drops enough to lose him the election once the spotlight is on him. He won't lose in a landslide but trump might win some more states in the Mid-West. If he choses a decent VP he might nullify all of what I said and crush trump.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
It's very possible bernie's popularity drops enough to lose him the election once the spotlight is on him. He won't lose in a landslide but trump might win some more states in the Mid-West.
This is the case for any candidate. It's not something unique to Bernie but you're presenting it as if it is.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Progress isn't made standing on a corner by yourself and shouting into the void. Your protest only helps put trump and republicans back in control. So while you may feel morally superior you're only hurting your own cause.
If bloomberg gets the nom having a Trump with a D next to his name isn't going to be any better (and others have pointed out he likely could be even worse given he has more money, knows what hes doing in politics, and hasn't lost his mind). You want to talk about feeling morally superior while putting up defenses for scenarios where we would put up a racist, transphobic, pro corporate republican on the Dem ticket is doing exactly what I would call trying to feel morally superior.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn was also seen as to far left and anti-british.
he's been called that by the murdoch-owned press for more than a decade, corbyn's policies and the popularity thereof were still enough for labour to prevent the conservatives from a majority government in 2017

what changed since then was brexit

Oct 29, 2017

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Bloomberg is so dangerous that it honestly makes more sense to sit it out and hope Trump wins. Trump is much more unstable and hated, therefore leading to a much more fired up 2024 and 2022 than we would see under Bloomberg. And I only say this because I have zero confidence in Bloomberg actually adopting D positions once he's in office.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's very possible bernie's popularity drops enough to lose him the election once the spotlight is on him. He won't lose in a landslide but trump might win some more states in the Mid-West.
It's possible to the point I won't discount it, but I don't think it's very likely. Back in 2016, I distinctly remember seeing certain conservatives say they hated Trump and hated Hillary, but while they disagreed with Bernie's politics they thought he was a decent guy. Anecdote, but it's something.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
If bloomberg gets the nom having a Trump with a D next to his name isn't going to be any better (and others have pointed out he likely could be even worse given he has more money, knows what hes doing in politics, and hasn't lost his mind). You want to talk about feeling morally superior while putting up defenses for scenarios where we would put up a racist, transphobic, pro corporate republican on the Dem ticket is doing exactly what I would call trying to feel morally superior.

How is a liberal SCJ worse? How is someone who acknowledges climate change worse? This is insane. He's terrible I agree, but he's better than the guy who believes that climate change is a chinese hoax.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The literal only reason Bloomberg would make it out of the primary is if black people vote for him.
Why are you making this excuse? Did you know that one of the reasons, among many, Trump got elected is because black people didn't turn out in the numbers to vote for Hillary like they did for Obama? Does that somehow justify Trump being elected because they didn't want to vote for someone who called black people super predators and had slaves? No it doesn't, not at all. Yes, SOME black people would have had to vote for Bloomberg if he got the nomination. That doesn't mean it would be okay to elect a racist who destroyed black communities using what he described as his own private army. You're acting like just because he gets 30% of the black vote then Bloomberg gets a pass, you know some black people voted for Trump also, it doesn't give him a pass.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
How is a liberal SCJ worse? How is someone who acknowledges climate change worse? This is insane. He's terrible I agree, but he's better than the guy who believes that climate change is a chinese hoax.

sometimes it's not worth comprising your morals to vote for a racist republican shitbag just to hope said billionaire shitbag actually follows through with his word

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn literally had -40+ favorable ratings. Hillary and Trump at their worst have never come close to how hated Corbyn was by the 2019 election.

Bernie, meanwhile, consistently polls just as liked or more liked than people like Biden.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
It's possible to the point I won't discount it, but I don't think it's very likely. Back in 2016, I distinctly remember seeing certain conservatives say they hated Trump and hated Hillary, but while they disagreed with Bernie's politics they thought he was a decent guy. Anecdote, but it's something.
It's very possible trump's huge flaws overlap bernie's flaws in the end and bernie beats him by like 5 or more percent. It all depends on his VP choice at this point. A unity ticket will easily beat trump.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
YUP, it's incredible to watch unfold.

AND THERE IT IS, FOLKS. The media doesn't want to talk about Bernie. It's all about their centrist darlings, Mayor Pete and Klobuchar. It's funny but it's also really fucking annoying lol
Reuters literally has double digit tweets declaring bernie the winner. They actually dissected all the candidates and seemingly tweeted about them. I wouldnt look for that here, posting that tweet alone is a bit out of context.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now let's start victim blaming, sure, it's okay to vote for the guy who openly hates black people, and who's policies were a lot more damaging than Trump's for black people in NYC, just because some black people might vote for him!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If you guys are so scared of losing our votes if Bloomberg is the nom, you should make it your mission from God to make sure he isn't the nom. There's no point in trying to corner people into voting D in a scenario that hasn't even played out yet.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
sometimes it's not worth comprising your morals to vote for a racist republican shitbag just to hope said billionaire shitbag actually follows through with his word

I heard a TON of this about hillary as well. Hillary was close friends with kissinger, she herself had issues with race (modern day slave labor with the prisoners working for her for free, super predator comments) was anti gay marriage up until not too long ago, was "in wall streets pocket" close friends with donald trump. People said the same things about hillary. Look I"m not saying bloomberg is nearly as good as hillary, but I'm saying he still would have a D next to his name, he still would appoint a democrat to the supreme court which has MASSIVE long term ramifications. He would help the down ticket, and if the economy continues to do well at least it won't be perceived as republican policy that's pushing that along.

On top of all of that, they both could be evil people, but if one of those people sees the massive crisis to our way of life in climate change, and the other is a conspiracy theorist rolling coal type, I'm choosing the person who at least can see what's in front of them everytime.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
YUP, it's incredible to watch unfold.

AND THERE IT IS, FOLKS. The media doesn't want to talk about Bernie. It's all about their centrist darlings, Mayor Pete and Klobuchar. It's funny but it's also really fucking annoying lol

I think people need to take a deep breath and calm down to be frank. Of course the media is talking about Pete and Amy. Both of them significantly exceeded expectations. Bernie underperformed significantly - NH should never have been this close by any means.

The media are talking about the actual news story that's interesting. Bernie winning NH has been on the cards since the day he won it in 2016. The only story concerning Bernie here is the fact he only just won it in votes and drew with Pete on delegates.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You do not know the types of judges he is going to pick. Bloomberg is a republican. At best youll get a moderate judge. AT BEST.

Not to mention his climate position is literally the worst ranked plan of any of the dems, doesn't align with plans that would save the world, and thus would make SCOTUS pointless given were all going to die thanks to him not doing enough to stop it anyway.

But not that this matters because even if he gets the nom, hes going to be absolutely destroyed by Trump in the GE because moderate dems (here hes a republican) have done nothing but lose every bid for the WH since Clinton, unless youre Obama who had to run on a populist message that belied how progressive he was actually going to be.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Where is the evidence to support the notion that Bloomberg will appoint liberal judges

Yeah this is total magical thinking with no basis in reality, there is absolutely no reason to believe Bloomberg would appoint meaningfully left-wing judges whatsoever. At best you get more Kennedys. Not to mention, "believing climate change is real" is not sufficient when the science tells us the only way to combat climate change in a way that actually stops most of the damage we will sustain, is through massive restructuring of our society and our economy, much of which necessitates taking on industry - something the fucking billionaire isn't going to do. It's not a meaningful difference to just say you believe it's real and we have to do something about it, but not do enough to change anything than if we did nothing anyway.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah this is total magical thinking with no basis in reality, there is absolutely no reason to believe Bloomberg would appoint meaningfully left-wing judges whatsoever. At best you get more Kennedys. Not to mention, "believing climate change is real" is not sufficient when the science tells us the only way to combat climate change in a way that actually stops most of the damage we will sustain, is through massive restructuring of our society and our economy, much of which necessitates taking on industry - something the fucking billionaire isn't going to do. It's not a meaningful difference to just say you believe it's real and we have to do something about it, but not do enough to change anything than if we did nothing anyway.

It is meaningful because trump shouting to the american people that it's a hoax, a liberal agenda conspiracy that we should continue to push coal to stomp out those liberal snowflakes, is far more damaging. Any improvement, however minor, is worth fighting for. I would be extremely disappointed if it goes bloomberg v trump (it won't), but I still would vote for the guy who at least knows what a hyphen is.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Never mind that Bloomberg is a scumbag, he'd also absolutely lose to Trump. You'd be laying up the GOP's plan to depress the vote by having two billionaire racist pieces of shit as your choices.

NH turnout, in the final count, beat 2008 numbers.

Barely, but still. This is encouraging.
It really is.

Should also be a lesson to people in here that jumping on the first tweet to doubt the level of turnout just to spin up your "Bernie won't get out the vote" narrative just makes you look silly.

But who's on first?!

LMAO, the apple news alert I got this morning also failed to mention Bernie. Said something about Klob surging and Yang dropping out. Shit is transparent af.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Then what are you doing since every post after the past few pages has been nothing but making excuses for Bloomberg's history?

He's donated a lot of money to Democratic campaigns. It helped flip the House in 2018, that's a fact. He has donated a lot of money over the last decade to Democratic candidates. That is also a fact.

If someone tries to argue that he wouldn't legislate like a Democrat because he's donated to Republicans, that's logically inconsistent. It doesn't make any sense if you look at the amount of money he's given to Democratic candidates. He has vowed to use the infrastructure he has built this cycle to help any Democratic nominee in this cycle as well... Now, that remains to be seen but he does have a history of aiding Democratic candidates so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

So, help me understand: Why would he try so hard to flip the House and aid Democrats in winning elections? Is it because he wanted to take the reins and run against Trump in 2020? Is it because he feels he could better influence policy with the Democratic donations he did previously make, and is currently making?

Clearly, he is trans-phobic and racist. Apparently, also a sexual predator. He should not be the Democratic nominee. I am not defending, nor making excuses for his past behavior. I will not be voting for him in the primary.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
If you guys are so scared of losing our votes if Bloomberg is the nom, you should make it your mission from God to make sure he isn't the nom. There's no point in trying to corner people into voting D in a scenario that hasn't even played out yet.

Yeah. The primary isn't over and Bloomberg has notably not been the frontrunner. I don't think there's value in catastrophizing the day that Bloomberg gets the nomination any more than there was with Biden, given that neither of them are going anywhere vote-wise. Most people realize that Bloomberg is garbage, I think, though I do think we can keep that momentum going by reminding people of stop and frisk and, really, just how the NYPD has been in general. And his wealth.

I'm more worried about Pete because apparently people see some sort of value in his candidacy despite being the most vapid empty-suit salesman of a politician I've seen in my life. Some weird Stepford candidate or one of those goofy "president" characters you see on more electorally-focused prestige dramas.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg was a Republican for most of his tenure as Mayor and was pulling Republicans across the finish line as recently as 2016. I'm not gonna comment on what to do if he's the nom, but we should really make an effort to make sure he doesn't get it.

I'm phone banking on Thursday. What's other peoples' volunteering plans?

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the camp that doesn't see any good options among the current top three. I think Bernie's socialism and naked calls for a revolution will sink him with the over 45 crowd, and I see a thin electoral college path for him. If he squeaks by I can see the 2022 midterms being a brutal bloodbath worse than 2010. Buttigieg comes across as way too much of a wooden egghead and a cerebral thinker, he lacks that cultural and guttural connection the working class saw in Biden. He's easily dismissed as a naive lightweight due to his thin resume and age. His being gay has a fair chance of being a significant liability, unfortunately. Bloomberg has amazing strength to people who admire successful businessmen for their perceived competence and non-ideological outlook, but his nanny state reputation, stance on guns, and New York pedigree will put a firm ceiling on his appeal to more cultural voters. He won't excite young voters and minorities.

Maybe Klobuchar or Biden have the fewest outright weaknesses and could stitch together the broadest coalition, but their paths to the nomination are very narrow at the moment.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Because he has a long history of it?

Going back as far as 2008, he donates much, much more to Democrats. You can look it up yourself.
Psst. Got something I wanna tell you:
Trump donated to Democrats as well up until his presidential bid. In his case, it was less rather than more starting in 2011, but it's still the truth. It's almost like none of these slimy rich assholes are trustworthy in the slightest. If you claim to be a progressive and anti-Trump, why are you defending someone who literally hung out with Trump once upon a time, and RECENTLY donated money to the Republican party under Trump's leadership?

Also:
10112c0d3b969596441fc7e0f6fe8514cdd30361.jpeg

Bloomberg was a Republican for most of his tenure as Mayor and was pulling Republicans across the finish line as recently as 2016. I'm not gonna comment on what to do if he's the nom, but we should really make an effort to make sure he doesn't get it.

I'm phone banking on Thursday. What's other peoples' volunteering plans?
I'm gonna text bank leading up to Super Tuesday as a Virginian and donate a bit more. My anxiety makes anything else kinda scary for me, lol.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm genuinely shocked and disappointed how much protest vote I'm seeing talked about on here. Again that's our right as american people, I understand why it's frustrating, I just really am shocked that resetera of all places would abstain from any election involving trump.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Corbyn literally had -40+ favorable ratings. Hillary and Trump at their worst have never come close to how hated Corbyn was by the 2019 election.

Bernie, meanwhile, consistently polls just as liked or more liked than people like Biden.
you can't compare Corbyn to Sanders

Corbyn was anti-EEC and anti-EU since the 1970s and was a bullshit artist during the Brexit Referendum

Corbyn was the WORST Labour leader for the UK to have during Buring, during Breixt negotations, during May election, during Johnson election

Status
Not open for further replies.