• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, should I point out the obvious here when it comes to Klob and Warren voters?

Are you saying just because both are women? I think you gotta give the electorate more credit than that, and even if that is so, the bottom line is he is still not getting those votes that should be lay-ups considering the vast overlap between Sanders and Warren on just about everything.

To win the nomination, Warren and Biden both need to drop out. The fact that Bernie's perceived biggest competitors are getting 0 delegates is hard not to be excited about.

Sure, but you gotta be a politician about it. If they lose, you gotta position yourself to be the second choice. Otherwise, it will be other campaigns reaping the benefits. Don't spike the football, extend a hand.

Hi I'm a bernie supporter and have been one since 2016. I take no glee in your preferred candidate faltering. I know by your preference that you too have similar ideas regarding the progress of our nation and I am eager to lock hands with you in our fight to restore our democracy. We're not adversaries or rivals, we're Americans. LETS DO ITTTTTTTT neighbor!!

Hah, I voted Bernie in 2016 and was thrilled to do so. I'd fight like hell once again for him in 2020.

not trying to single you out, but are yall talking about on ERA?

I have been in and out of this thread so maybe I missed something.

This is fair. There's been a few calling her not a "real Progressive" and saying she's phony, but it's mostly fine here. It's more just the large-scale on Twitter/Facebook or anywhere else that "matters" that I see Sanders supporters being way more "combative" than others. Trust me, I'm not saying they don't have a point, but you gotta be appealing to peoples Grandma's and others that don't follow this nearly as closely and the name-calling and glee seems out wack when we are only 2 states in and you're going to be relying on those supporters to support your candidate.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a disappointing performance for Sanders. Not bad per se, but not the clear victory you would have expected given his historical strength in the state.
Van Jones on CNN saying in NH there are new laws that you need to have your car registered to be allowed to vote? And young voters were struggling with that?

has there been articles about that?
They passed a new voter id law since 2016 which requires part time residents like students to do more to be able to register to vote. It's been a confusing mess because no one really understands what exactly you need to do. In theory the new law means nothing (it only changed four words from the old law) but in practice it may have totally blocked people from voting; it probably discouraged people from voting even if they weren't necessarily barred from voting.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but you gotta be a politician about it. If they lose, you gotta position yourself to be the second choice. Otherwise, it will be other campaigns reaping the benefits. Don't spike the football, extend a hand.
I am in fact not a politician lol

Unless Bernie released a gloating statement that you're referring to and I missed

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I get a bit depressed when I realize just how conservative and moderate most of this country is.
Conservative and moderate are not the same thing.

I'll say this again: if you actually go to something like On the Issues Dot Org, even the much-maligned Pete has incredibly progressive proposals and shares more in common with Bernie Sanders than he does with... I'm not even going to say Trump; I'll say Bill Weld, for the sake of argument.

I know it's trite to say stuff like "Amy is a Republican," but she's actually not.

I also fully understand stuff like Overton window and shifting political discourse, etc., but if you set aside the existential threat to democracy that Donald Trump represents (I know it's hard), the fact that a candidate like Pete is doing well is actually kind of great. I'm actually happy that self-identified moderate Democrats are comfortable with an openly gay man pushing for the expansion of health care and a voluntary weapons buyback, to name two random things.

No, he's not what you want, and I get that. Obviously, don't vote for him in the primary. But I still think it's a silver lining, and there's good reason not to be depressed.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The prospect of a 78 year old man who recently had a heart attack being the Democratic party's best hope for defeating Donald Trump is just...thrilling.

Y'all know having had a heart attack isn't automatically terminal, right? And that Bernie is not only personally wealthy, but if he does become the President he'll have access to the best healthcare in the country.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really want Bernie to win by more than this. A brokered convention would be awful for the Democrats.
Also Warren is done and needs drop out.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Really want Bernie to win by more than this. A brokered convention would be awful for the Democrats.
No worries. Bernie has a yuge lead in Nevada with Klobs not even on the list Butti was far below, plus we'll be getting into mixed voters instead of just white states

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

With Yang dropping out and likely more to drop in the coming days I think things will be more stark.

That being said, I fully expect the Biden vote to surge into Pete's numbers. Warren and Yang's people, as well as new voters I think will be needed to help buoy Bernie as we get through more primaries. The wild card will be Klob depending on how long she stays in the race.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
My concern now is less that Bernie doesn't win NH, but that polling seems to have pretty uniformly overestimated his margins.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I'll say this again: if you actually go to something like On the Issues Dot Org, even the much-maligned Pete has incredibly progressive proposals and shares more in common with Bernie Sanders than he does with... I'm not even going to say Trump; I'll say Bill Weld, for the sake of argument.

I know it's trite to say stuff like "Amy is a Republican," but she's actually not.

I also fully understand stuff like Overton window and shifting political discourse, etc., but if you set aside the existential threat to democracy that Donald Trump represents (I know it's hard), the fact that a candidate like Pete is doing well is actually kind of great. I'm actually happy that self-identified moderate Democrats are comfortable with an openly gay man pushing for the expansion of health care and a voluntary weapons buyback, to name two random things.

No, he's not what you want, and I get that. Obviously, don't vote for him in the primary. But I still think it's a silver lining, and there's good reason not to be depressed.

Any candidate, except maybe Bloomberg, and possibly even him, would be the 3rd most economically liberal President in American history (and by far, the most socially liberal).

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

thats an healthy perspective to have i think. Fortunately the progressive agenda is popular and as such, things will get better even if not ideal with a democrat in the white house. Unless its bloomberg, of course

Status
Not open for further replies.