• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
No.

EDIT: I'm not going to allow myself to be gaslit here for daring to address racism.

Again, all you have to do is point out the racism.

Brie gets hate cuz she's vocal and pushes crap. Sirota would too, if he were more vocal personally. I wouldn't be surpised if he didn't cook up some of this garbage himself but that's just a theory.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (July 22): Repeatedly violating the Primary OT staff post (hostility)
I think this is great, and I also just learned about it this morning.

It's exactly the kind of leadership that is needed at this time.

American Imperialism and the hundreds of thousands of dead people it has caused really mean nothing huh?

Yeah but they're brown and foreign and weren't gonna vote for Hillary so they do not matter at all.

Unless Trump was the one who ordered the bombings in which case then we can pretend to care about their deaths.

The constantly shifting goalposts when it comes to US imperialism on this forum shows a staggering lack of empathy for other human beings.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
As a lurker and non-American, the course this thread has taken is really fascinating to me.
Just a couple months ago (or less) it was a total Bernie love-in, and Biden was treated as the doddering, racist, little girl groping, wall-street loving, war criminal that he is.
Now that Biden has sealed up the nom, the Bernie fans have largely abandoned the thread, and the regular posters in here appear to be a clique of neoliberal 'politics as a hobby' Democratic Party loyalists patting each other on the back as they gloat about Bernie's failure, and unironically invoke horseshoe theory to prove how all his supporters are secretly Republicans (with particular bile aimed at the black women on Bernie's campaign).
Do Americans only publicly support their preferred candidate when they're winning? I mean the primary is over so I guess it makes sense not too many Bernie bros are in here anymore, but I didn't see all y'all Biden bros around when Bernie was the front runner.

I'm a cancer survivor and I strongly believe that if I was born in the USA I'd be dead now. I think every American deserves the universal healthcare I received, and that's why I spent many evenings over the past couple of months text banking for Bernie. But it's good to know that according to the 'liberals' in this thread I'm actually a fascist and a Trump supporter, because I would find it a moral stain to vote for someone like Biden who has the blood of millions of Iraqis on his hands (here he is passionately advocating for an hour about the necessity of those deaths: https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4785956/user-clip-bidens-floor-speech-iraq-war). I couldn't look an Iraqi mother in her eyes and tell her that I intended to vote for the man who advocated for her child's death (by an Obama ordered drone strike possibly!), that seems monstrous to me. But apparently I'm the monster for drawing that line in the sand?

I think the two-party system has really poisoned Americans' minds and morals, to the point where you have to vote for a war criminal just because he has a (D) next to his name, and if you don't, you're a fascist. It seems to me the 2 party system is the source of so much of America's political problems, and yet, according to posters in this thread, advocating for a potential third party (like the Green party) is actually the most morally reprehensible thing one can do! (and provides further ammo for the dehumanising of those 'misfit black women')
By most of the world's standards, the Democratic Party is a centre-right party, and actually, the main right-wing party in my country, who I hate with a fiery passion, are historically to the left of the dems on many issues (healthcare, foreign policy, LGBT issues, social welfare in general). So you can really throw the 'centre' out of that description.

So I guess what makes this thread fascinating to me, apart from the way it's dramatically changed in the manner of weeks, is that the supporters of a right-wing party have been allowed to plant their feet firmly on the moral high ground, and the people offering ideological and materialist critiques of that party from the left are branded as fascists. But I guess that's the USA for ya.
While I see your point. You don't get to deal with as near a consequence of an R winning the election. If Hilary Clinton won in 2016, would our coronavirus response be this subpar? I doubt it. We live in a two party system, you either win the battle of ideas within the party or you lose and try again. We're not suddenly going revamp our constitutional structure so we deal with what's we have. American voters are more conservative and older voters are even more so and they by far the most reliable voting bloc so this is what we get as a result. The party is far more to the left than it was in 2008 and that is largely thanks to Sanders and his progressive revolution injecting new ideas. Warren too to an extent.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And where are you from?

The country responsible for pretty much initiating the trans-atlantic slave trade and a strong ex colonial power. Its crimes were many and not nearly enough of the perpretators got what they deserved. Pretty much all of them are dead now though. Not much point in getting angry at dead people.

You can try your gotcha now. Don't forget to also keep ignoring that many current Dems are indeed war criminals, just like many current Republicans. Were they African instead of American the ICC would be all over that shit. But alas.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's exactly the kind of leadership that is needed at this time.

Yeah but they're brown and foreign and weren't gonna vote for Hillary so they do not matter at all.

Unless Trump was the one who ordered the bombings in which case then we can pretend to care about their deaths.

The constantly shifting goalposts when it comes to US imperialism on this forum shows a staggering lack of empathy for other human beings.

It's all about the right team doing it.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The country responsible for pretty much initiating the trans-atlantic slave trade and a strong ex colonial power. Its crimes were many and not nearly enough of the perpretators got what they deserved. Pretty much all of them are dead now though. Not much point in getting angry at dead people.

You can try your gotcha now. Don't forget to also keep ignoring that many current Dems are indeed war criminals, just like many current Republicans. Were they African instead of American the ICC would be all over that shit. But alas.
So the UK wasn't in Iraq?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
They wouldn't even make the list of the worst people in AMERICAN history, let alone history in general.
Depends how long the list is. like great they aren't as bad as Kissinger, they just uphold him him as an American statesman. Whether or not the make the shortlist doesnt change the fact that there if there is a hell, a place is reserved for Hillary after her self-aggrandizing imperialist ventures

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Dude. I'm not british. I'm from Portugal. And to save you the google trouble, there was a small contigent of portuguese troops in the Iraq war. Which is not quite the same thing as destroying dozens of countries and its peoples over the last 80 years on an ongoing, aggressive and criminal expansion of American corporate interests.
No but the acting like your shit don't stink post in a thread about an American election ain't needed. All you foreign posters normalizing Trump in comparison to Biden are irresponsible as fuck. I know you don't actually care the damage Trump has done to our country or what he will continue to do if re-elected, but I do.

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to shield Briahna under blanket terms like "women of colour voicing her opinions" is some of the most transparent horseshit I've seen.

Yep. This.

Concerned about people like Briahna rightfully being called out for their bullshit yet oddly quiet when it comes to the erasure of black voters from Sanders' supporters and his campaign or the inference that we're low information invalids who don't know what's good for us.

Shielding themselves behind the people of color who agree with them while simultaneously throwing every other minority who isn't with them under the bus. It's fucking gross.
LOL

As if the low information voter shit didn't happen from Bernie supporters. Some of you are so full of your own shit.

Eh, there's always some excuse to handwave away this not-so-thinly-veliled racism from so-called progressives.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but the acting like your shit don't stink post in a thread about an American election ain't needed. All you foreign posters normalizing Trump in comparison to Biden are irresponsible as fuck. I know you don't actually care the damage Trump has done to our country or what he will continue to do if re-elected, but I do.

The American empire has caused a shit ton of damage to the entire world and in the context of current events where we are all concerned y'all need to course correct fucking fast. I'm sorry but I don't really give a shit about the American polity if caring about them is supposed to require I ignore the suffering of everyone else.

Frankly, American exceptionalism is a mental illness convincing you all that these half measures are all that can or could ever be done. It's just a species of fatalism or indirect nihilism, and for people on the left, our only hope is maybe snapping the complacent rubes out of their statist trance before it's too late. But most of us don't really anticipate that happening either and are at this point just bracing ourselves for the inevitable since apparently no one else can (or is willing to) perceive obvious historical foreshadowing.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
French Health minister just gave the information the high estimate of the number of french cases is 80 000 ( between 30 000 and 40 000 based on tests and declared symptoms kept at home , multiplied by 2 for the diseased without symptoms based on observed ratios worldwide).

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. This.

Concerned about people like Briahna rightfully being called out for their bullshit yet oddly quiet when it comes to the erasure of black voters from Sanders' supporters and his campaign or the inference that we're low information invalids who don't know what's good for us.

Shielding themselves behind the people of color who agree with them while simultaneously throwing every other minority who isn't with them under the bus. It's fucking gross.

Eh, there's always some excuse to handwave away this not-so-thinly-veliled racism from so-called progressives.
You can't be talking to me. I've criticized Bernie's campaign on this forum in 2016 and now for not doing what it took to win the southern black vote.

edit: I'm a black person raising issue with racism and you have the fucking nerve to tell me "well you don't care about racism there" foh

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The American empire has caused a shit ton of damage to the entire world and in the context of current events where we are all concerned y'all need to course correct fucking fast. I'm sorry but I don't really give a shit about the American polity if caring about them is supposed to require I ignore the suffering of everyone else.

Frankly, American exceptionalism is a mental illness convincing you all that these half measures are all that can or could ever be done. It's just a species of fatalism or indirect nihilism, and for people on the left, our only hope is maybe snapping the complacent rubes out of their statist trance before it's too late. But most of us don't really anticipate that happening either and are at this point just bracing ourselves for the inevitable since apparently no one else can (or is willing to) perceive obvious historical foreshadowing.
So how does coming into a thread about an American election and saying ya know Trump ain't that bad accomplish any of what you want.

If you think he is better off for the rest of the world you shouldn't be calling people rubes because you would be throwing bricks in a glass house.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't be talking to me. I've criticized Bernie's campaign on this forum in 2016 and now for not doing what it took to win the southern black vote.

edit: I'm a black person raising issue with racism and you have the fucking nerve to tell me "well you don't care about racism there" foh
Not specifically. If you've been following this thread for the past month there's been a ton of it and it's had to be called out ad nausea.

I was responding to the sentiment both of the posters I quoted espoused. It was not directed at you.

I'm a black dude who supported Warren but apparently I'm a neo-liberal (and also) racist (and also) centrist who wants to see the world burn according to some in this thread.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not specifically. If you've been following this thread for the past month there's been a ton of it and it's had to be called out ad nausea.

I was responding to the sentiment both of the posters I quoted espoused. It was not directed at you.

I'm a black dude who supported Warren but apparently I'm a neo-liberal (and also) racist (and also) centrist who wants to see the world burn according to some in this thread.
aight we got no beef.

I PERSONALLY haven't noticed the "low information" posts but I have participated in debates surrounding Sanders lost in the south. My take was that southern black democrats do tend to be more conservative and they have more intimate relationships with democrats and associated institutions than someone like me who lives in the northeast and has been "sold out" by democrats here. Bernie's campaign failed to thread the needle of cozying up to the institutions he's critical of while staying true to his values.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how does coming into a thread about an American election and saying ya know Trump ain't that bad accomplish any of what you want.

If Trump with his weird more isolationist and mercantilist idiosyncrasies and the general disturbance in America's self-justification regarding its moral standing (in electing a disaster like Trump) might actually be preferable to them as an international citizen over business as usual, say bombing brown people but with a veneer of authority, it seems then that we have a different problem entirely. If anything this being our apparent decision should be an indictment of how bad things are across the board, and more people should be speaking up.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Trump with his weird more isolationist and mercantilist idiosyncrasies and the general disturbance America's self-justification (in electing a disaster like Trump) might actually be preferable to them as an international citizen over business as usual, say bombing brown people but with a veneer of authority. If anything this being our apparent decision should be an indictment of how bad things are across the board and more people should be speaking up.
plus like at the end of the day democrat or republican american's will still try and screw your country on the details.

imagine asking the obama admin to allow for someone other then domestic courts to adjudicate disputes with Canada? It's easier to just bully more efficient industries in other countries into non-competition.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aight we got no beef.

I PERSONALLY haven't noticed the "low information" posts but I have participated in debates surrounding Sanders lost in the south. My take was that southern black democrats do tend to be more conservative and they have more intimate relationships with democrats and associated institutions than someone like me who lives in the northeast and has been "sold out" by democrats here. Bernie's campaign failed to thread the needle of cozying up to the institutions he's critical of while staying true to his values.
This is a nice way of putting it. I didn't realize the very different relationship Southern and Northern Blacks have with The Democratic Party. I'll throw a dart in the dark and assume that Black folks have more say down South than they do up North when it comes to Party matters.

We really do feel like frenemies in NYC.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
plus like at the end of the day democrat or republican american's will still try and screw your country on the details.

imagine asking the obama admin to allow for someone other then domestic courts to adjudicate disputes with Canada? It's easier to just bully more efficient industries in other countries into non-competition.

Thank you, this is a good point and one that I missed.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a nice way of putting it. I didn't realize the very different relationship Southern and Northern Blacks have with The Democratic Party. I'll throw a dart in the dark and assume that Black folks have more say down South than they do up North when it comes to Party matters.

that's the black ass truth, unfortunately. Dems up here still sell us out to Real Estate and police the shit out of us making revenue off our pain in the process.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao Thank you!! It's too easy for these criminals to throw off their scent.

If Wall Street were full of African bankers, heads would have rolled a decade ago as they should have.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Urban whites, those who didn't completely flee to the suburbs, stayed with the party in the North and so carried their old-school racism with them. So there's still a lot of that good old boy attitude in northern white Democrats, especially with white working class bases (as opposed to the high educated cosmopolitan white bases, which still hold some problematic views like NIMBYism but aren't in on that Broken Windows stuff).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Good article in the NYT today about a rift in the Sanders campaign in the run up to South Carolina, where one of Sanders pollsters recommended he go hard on Biden on the crime bill andbsocial security, to erode Bidens' support among African Americans but Sanders and his wife were hesitant to do so. Lot of other interesting details too:

www.nytimes.com

How It All Came Apart for Bernie Sanders (Published 2020)

The Sanders campaign appeared on the brink of a commanding lead in the Democratic race. But a series of fateful decisions and internal divisions have left him all but vanquished.

Moreover it's interesting how many other anecdotes they have from campaign staffers which might suggest a coming shift in the campaign, so staffers are more open to talk to reporters candidly. It reads almost like a post mortem.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
If Trump with his weird more isolationist and mercantilist idiosyncrasies and the general disturbance in America's self-justification regarding its moral standing (in electing a disaster like Trump) might actually be preferable to them as an international citizen over business as usual, say bombing brown people but with a veneer of authority, it seems then that we have a different problem entirely. If anything this being our apparent decision should be an indictment of how bad things are across the board, and more people should be speaking up.

Has America actually stopped bombing brown people under Trump?

And how the last couple of months or so has played out for America in regards to coronavirus is a demonstration of how shit tier international relation can hurt your country and probably others too.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good article in the NYT today about a rift in the Sanders campaign in the run up to South Carolina, where one of Sanders pollsters recommended he go hard on Biden on the crime bill andbsocial security, to erode Bidens' support among African Americans but Sanders and his wife were hesitant to do so. Lot of other interesting details too:

www.nytimes.com

How It All Came Apart for Bernie Sanders (Published 2020)

The Sanders campaign appeared on the brink of a commanding lead in the Democratic race. But a series of fateful decisions and internal divisions have left him all but vanquished.

Moreover it's interesting how many other anecdotes they have from campaign staffers which might suggest a coming shift in the campaign, so staffers are more open to talk to reporters candidly. It reads almost like a post mortem.
Honestly shit just makes me think he's terrible of doing the building bridges part of politicking.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Depends how long the list is. like great they aren't as bad as Kissinger, they just uphold him him as an American statesman. Whether or not the make the shortlist doesnt change the fact that there if there is a hell, a place is reserved for Hillary after her self-aggrandizing imperialist ventures

even had obama pin a goddamn medal to that monster's chest. And it's also uncomfortable how friendly and camaraderie they are with these same monsters, when victims of their exploits are literally still dying and suffering as we speak.

This absolutely works both ways. Especially when it comes to conservative black folks being the "true" backbone of the Dem party as the complete erasure of black progressives and the issues and concerns they have rolls on. But you see that has been going on for decades now. Malcom X was raging against that 55 years ago. Barely anything has changed, except for the level of contempt against the left even as the planet dies around us and things get worse for our people even in administrations we favor.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is he best candidate running and representing ideas the front-runner is not willing to meet in any critical way.

Sanders should continue to run. It is imperative to continue to fight even if the odds are longer. The clock is running out and there are few options left.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting excerpts from the NYT article:
There was also a running argument within the campaign about how to handle Senator Elizabeth Warren, with some advisers viewing her as a serious threat that needed to be quashed and others, including Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Mr. Sanders's most important endorser, urging the campaign to seek conciliation.
But he has always been disdainful of the art of politics and had to be nudged into wooing even friendly Democratic leaders. As Ms. Warren relentlessly courted Ms. Ocasio-Cortez last fall, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez's advisers had to prod Mr. Sanders's aides into having him call her — a conversation that eventually led to her endorsing him.
Arriving in Charleston, S.C., ahead of the Feb. 29 state primary, Mr. Weaver said the campaign had not yet sought a working relationship with figures like the House Speaker Nancy Pelosi because they wanted first to demonstrate the full sweep of their coalition on Super Tuesday three days later. He reached for a Civil War analogy to explain the muscle-flexing strategy. Abraham Lincoln did not issue the Emancipation Proclamation, Mr. Weaver said, until after Union troops had routed the Confederacy at the bloody battle of Antietam.
Mr. Sanders had suddenly become a spectator in the campaign, powerless to stop a tectonic shift against him by the party's moderate wing. Ms. Klobuchar called Mr. Sanders before announcing her endorsement of Mr. Biden, while Mr. Sanders and Mr. Buttigieg did not speak.
I'm curious if there would have been much of a difference had Bernie's campaign been in constant contact with Pete, Klobuchar, and Warren's campaigns as they were winding down and offered concessions. Not gettting into contact with party officials like Pelosi and the CBC were also glaring mistakes. They needed to have shifted their messaging coming off of Nevada.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Bernie is he best candidate running and representing ideas the front-runner is not willing to meet in any critical way.

Sanders should continue to run. It is imperative to continue to fight even if the odds are longer. The clock is running out and there are few options left.
The odds aren't longer.. They simply don't exist.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019

Bernie has the best ideas but he's not the best candidate. I'm sorry it's happening like this, but presidential runs aren't a multiple choice test, they're a popularity contest, and if you come off as angry and your friends are assholes, you won't win.

unless you appeal to racist fears like republicans do, but that's not what Dems do.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not normalizing Trump. Nor would i need to do it if i were so inclined. American corporate media did it already. When the choice came between ratings and stopping a fascist wannabe, they chose ratings.

If i didn't care, like you say, i would just shut up and ignore it. But i care, not only because having empathy is still a thing, but unfortunately everything the US does has repercussions worldwide. I can't afford not to care.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018

Eh. If Biden doesn't support the policies you want, then dont vote for him. It's really that simple. I myself have resolved to do just that. He's got until November to start sounding good to me or I'm going third party.

If we are going to vote for him anyway, why would Biden be anything but a Corporate candidate?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Eh. If Biden doesn't support the policies you want, then dont vote for him. It's really that simple. I myself have resolved to do just that. He's got until November to start sounding good to me or I'm going third party.

If we are going to vote for him anyway, why would Biden be anything but a Corporate candidate?
At least vote for Trump if you're going to be that bold.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Lmao, this kind of thinking is why progressive policies never get pushed.
The most progressive candidate failed to reach the entirety of the Democratic base twice in 5 years.
Biden's platform is already more progressive than we've seen before and there is a real opportunity to continue to push him further.

But you'd rather throw a temper tantrum and vote for some third party candidate rather than push progressive policy within the Democratic Party!. LMAO, this kind of thinking is why progressive policies never get pushed.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
The most progressive candidate failed to reach the entirety of the Democratic base twice in 5 years.
Biden's platform is already more progressive than we've seen before and there is a real opportunity to continue to push him further.

But you'd rather throw a temper tantrum and vote for some third party candidate rather than push progressive policy within the Democratic Party!. LMAO, this kind of thinking is why progressive policies never get pushed.
You act as though I've completely written him off. I haven't. He needs to earn my vote, I'm not "voting blue no matter who" and frankly I dont care what anyone else thinks. You do what you want with your vote and I'll do what I want with mine. Good day sir.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how the crimes of American Imperialism always get ignored.

ThinkingEmoji.gif

I think there's a good argument that uncritical support for American public figures who had a direct hand in American war crimes, like George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton, should be disallowed here. But American imperialism and war crimes are always whitewashed. It's very unfortunate.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, this kind of thinking is why progressive policies never get pushed.
No it isn't. You just think (or wish) you live in a different country than the one live in. If third parties were a real option Bernie would've created one and not try to grab the Democratic nomination. Our constitutional structure allows for a two party system, nothing else, until that changes a third party vote is wasted. Democrats suddenly won't start chasing third party voters the party will move right ward if anything. No one is talking about how do we get Jill Stein voters etc. It's all about how do we get Obama -> Trump voters, that should give you some idea. I'm sorry if my tone comes out overly harsh but I'm just being frank, political parties don't care about third party voters. If we institute ranked choice voting on a national level, then maybe that changes. Otherwise, that vote is thrown away, the party moves rightward (see Bill Clinton) and we never get what we want. You win the battle of ideas in the primary, if you fail you try again. If there was another viable option than that, Bernie Sanders would not be running as a Democrat.

Status
Not open for further replies.