• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
let's hope biden does the sensible thing and offers sanders a deal on policy concessions good enough to make sanders drop out and endorse

at the current trajectory of biden's policies, he's going to appear to be to the right of the trump administration on things like economic relief due to covid-19. that would be disastrous in the general election

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
let's hope biden does the sensible thing and offers sanders a deal on policy concessions good enough to make sanders drop out and endorse

at the current trajectory of biden's policies, he's going to appear to be to the right of the trump administration on things like economic relief due to covid-19. that would be disastrous in the general election
You realize Trump's proposal is a 500 billion payroll tax cut, hundreds of billions in bailout money, and a 250 billion means tested check give out of some sort that won't roll out until the end of April, right?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just not true at all. Biden is to the left on Trump on every single policy. Biden is for giving out financial support and free healthcare during this crisis right now. Trump is not.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I think people expecting a concession from Biden should look at how far left he's actually moved already. There isn't going to be a big shift further left. There might be an item or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You realize Trump's proposal is a 500 billion payroll tax cut, hundreds of billions in bailout money, and a 250 billion means tested check give out of some sort that won't roll out until the end of April, right?
This is just not true at all. Biden is to the left on Trump on every single policy. Biden is for giving out financial support and free healthcare during this crisis right now. Trump is not.

democrats' habitual reflexive preemptive compromising with republicans will make it very easy for trump to outplay them and appear to the left of them. biden is part of this paradigm among leaders of the democratic party

the democratic party candidate needs to be a lot to the left of what republicans are proposing or they'll be outplayed by trump. writing checks is actually in the GOP policy interest because it allows landlords to keep collecting rent and overall trickles up through the economy. hopefully biden is smart enough to get inspired by sanders here or the election will be a disaster

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

democrats' habitual reflexive preemptive compromising with republicans will make it very easy for trump to outplay them and appear to the left of them. biden is part of this paradigm among leaders of the democratic party

the democrat candidate needs to be a lot to the left of what republicans are proposing or they'll be outplayed by trump. writing checks is actually in the GOP policy interest because it allows landlords to keep collecting rent and overall trickles up through the economy. hopefully biden is smart enough to get inspired by sanders here or the election will be a disaster

The point is the proposal made after Mnuchin made that statement is to the right of the dems proposal for paid sick leave and 10 weeks of medical leave. Pelosi shooting that down was a stupid mistake, yeah, and dems are fucking terrible at messaging, yeah, but buying that the initial volley being a $250 billion means-tested, out-by-end-of-April one time check is in anyway left of anything... lol.

And that's BEFORE republicans in the Senate have gotten their hands on it. And that's BEFORE Republicans in the Senate have even passed the neutered paid sick leave bill.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My bet is that Bernie will talk today about "transitioning" his campaign, but not "suspending" it. They'll stop asking for money, stop spending money on ads and anything not directly related to the campaign's skeleton staff, cancel all in-person events, and transition to a lean, digital footprint. He won't be dropping out but he won't be actively campaigning either. The campaign's tone will shift to focus on solutions and ideas and away from any jabs at Biden or the establishment and whatnot.

I don't trust Bernie to drop out all the way but I think he has enough sense to realize that it makes no sense to campaign, as he has been and as he did in 2016, at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The point is the proposal after Mnuchin made that statement is to the right of the dems proposal for paid sick leave and 10 weeks of medical leave. Pelosi shooting that down was a stupid mistake, yeah, and dems are fucking terrible at messaging, yeah, but buying that the initial volley being a $250 billion means-tested, out-by-end-of-April one time check is in anyway left of anything... lol.

And that's BEFORE republicans in the Senate have gotten their hands on it. And that's BEFORE Republicans in the Senate have even passed the neutered paid sick leave bill.
my post said that the TRUMP ADMINISTRATION would APPEAR to be to the left of democrats

i didn't say republicans at large and i didn't say actually to the left

it's a very real risk unless biden and other democratic party leaders wisen up quick and listen to what bernie is saying

Oct 27, 2017
My bet is that Bernie will talk today about "transitioning" his campaign, but not "suspending" it. They'll stop asking for money, stop spending money on ads and anything not directly related to the campaign's skeleton staff, cancel all in-person events, and transition to a lean, digital footprint. He won't be dropping out but he won't be actively campaigning either. The campaign's tone will shift to focus on solutions and ideas and away from any jabs at Biden or the establishment and whatnot.

I don't trust Bernie to drop out all the way but I think he has enough sense to realize that it makes no sense to campaign, as he has been and as he did in 2016, at this point.

I am not worried about Bernie, he will recognize the lay of the land. It's his rogue staff that have already burned all the bridges available who may feel that their last hurrah in major Democratic politics is coming to an end and theyll--rightfully--be blacklisted as soon as Sanders campaign wraps up officially

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So, post-mortem. I have said Biden did nothing, and that's absolutely true on the campaign end, however the groundwork you're seeing pay off for Biden in this election has been sowed for a long period of time. Now, keep in mind that I believe that democracy is basically a nationwide high school popularity contest, and I honestly have yet to be proven wrong, but things in a high school popularity contest happen for a reason.

Biden's first key to success is the following: he made friends. Bernie himself in his NYT interviews said he would rarely call politicians and reporters up and wish them a happy birthday (or otherwise butter them up) and he said himself that he knew that it had a big effect on people when he did. We know now that Warren had reached out to Bernie about joining camps and messaging before Iowa even voted, and Bernie's camp snubbed her, leaving bad blood and friction. On the other hand, Biden's the type of guy who made friends freaking everywhere, even in deplorable places and made enemies with very few people. He was the type of guy who would make those birthday calls and massage people into liking him. There's real work involved in that.
My favorite thing about Biden being friends with everyone. Is that Bernie didn't want to attack him like his advisors tried to encourage him to do... because Biden was one of the few people who was nice to him in Congress, lol.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
my post said that the TRUMP ADMINISTRATION would APPEAR to be to the left of democrats

i didn't say republicans at large and i didn't say actually to the left

it's a very real risk unless biden and other democratic party leaders wisen up quick and listen to what bernie is saying
I don't think so, at least if '08 is any indication. Of course, normal politics have been out the window for a while, so who knows.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Biden is beating Bernie by larger margins than Hilary did, so I really don't see a reason why Bernie should keep running. He needs to have a meeting with Joe first of course

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
No its not unless you think it's all a coincidence that Omar, AOC, Marie Newman, Cisneros, Jackie Fielder, Justice Dems, etc... are all running on primarily grassroots funding. There's a reason why Warren made a pledge to not run on superpacs, or corporate money for the primary. There's a reason why Bernie did the same.

This is literally circular logic. "Why is X a progressive requirement? Because these people all do X. Why are they the arbitersof progressivism? Because they are progressive. Why are they progressive? Because they all do X." You've basically just made it inherently true that they define progressivism.

Here's a statement: if you're anti-women's reproductive rights, you're not progressive. What's your stance on that? You've already waffled on it ("gotta look at the context"). I want you to state it.

In your opinion, taking money in that way excludes one from being a progressive, but supporting anti-abortionists (in 2017, no less) or talking about "guns in VT are different from guns in Chicago" does not exclude one from being a progressive.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie has stopped trying to raise money since this weekend. He knows it is over he is just soft transitioning his hard core supporters over to acceptance. Really soon it will be Biden V Trump. I just hope Biden's campaign does the right things.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just put my absentee ballot in the mail. Wonder if Sanders will still be in the race by the time it gets there.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
So, post-mortem. I have said Biden did nothing, and that's absolutely true on the campaign end, however the groundwork you're seeing pay off for Biden in this election has been sowed for a long period of time. Now, keep in mind that I believe that democracy is basically a nationwide high school popularity contest, and I honestly have yet to be proven wrong, but things in a high school popularity contest happen for a reason.

Biden's first key to success is the following: he made friends. Bernie himself in his NYT interviews said he would rarely call politicians and reporters up and wish them a happy birthday (or otherwise butter them up) and he said himself that he knew that it had a big effect on people when he did. We know now that Warren had reached out to Bernie about joining camps and messaging before Iowa even voted, and Bernie's camp snubbed her, leaving bad blood and friction. On the other hand, Biden's the type of guy who made friends freaking everywhere, even in deplorable places and made enemies with very few people. He was the type of guy who would make those birthday calls and massage people into liking him. There's real work involved in that.

So that earned him the Clyburn endorsement. That earned him tons of party endorsements. That earned him those endorsers using their mailing lists to prod supporters. That also earned him people clearing the way after his decisive win in SC.

His next key to success is... his career. Yes, yes he's got a ton of really rancid, should be disqualifying, shit through it, but that was all waved away as either fake news, over-exaggerated, or in the distant past by voters. I'd wager the majority of Bernie voters don't even hate him. He's been a dem his whole life and not all the things he's done in that time were terrible, he actually does have legislation that is actually good attached to his name. He was also VP to the most popular President in our lifetimes. The memes that that spawned also helped the public get an impression of his character that they ran with. And that image he's built is one of working with people to benefit people, doing the groundwork, being a team player.

The overall point is that Biden appeared to be the solidarity candidate. He's seen as the guy that's been in the trenches and actually brought people together and welcomes them in. Whether he deserves to be seen that way is another story (he really doesn't), but when you're seen as actually putting in the work to make progress, that earns you people's votes.

On the other hand, Bernie did not come across as the solidarity candidate to the majority of dem primary voters. His railing against the establishment made him look like he wasn't a team player, and his career of never passing a bill made him look like he was not a team player. Tone of rhetoric matters, and Bernie never comes across as the guy who could work with the party, and so that's why one of the more popular reasons women cited for overwhelmingly voting against him is his attacks on the establishment. That's why he couldn't earn the black vote.

Now, you might say that's a very shallow way to vote, and I wouldn't disagree, but.... in order to change reality you have to acknowledge it.

An addendum about the general: this is also why people saying Biden = Hillary are wrong. While Biden isn't invincible, Hillary was hated. Hillary also said herself she was bad at the politicking game. While she had a lot of connections in the party, she was not "have a beer with" Biden. It's not about lane, it's about the facade and the appearance of at least being friendly to a clique.

One of the big things that helped Biden and Bernie both (but Biden more so) in this primary was fear. Even before the pandemic, this was a high stakes election for Democrats. That meant a lot of voters retreated to options that felt safe and familiar, which boosted the two old men with 100% name ID above the rest of the pack. Once they were the two viable options, Biden was the safer and more familiar of the two and he took the lead.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for Bernie yesterday even though I knew it would be pointless. I can't believe I'm going to have to vote for Joe Biden in November, but I would vote for a piece of dog shit before I voted for Trump.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
There is no proof that within a month or two, things would be better than today. Actually things would probably be worse. You can't keep pushing things back as this stuff needs to be finished so we can prepare for November. Even by then nobody knows how it will be, remember that we still have a year and half before a vaccine even comes out.

I don't think that there should be a delay... I honestly think that they should have a better plan in place for those voting.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Looks like Bernie Sanders campaign has deactivated its ads on Facebook. No active ads currently showing in the transparency report and doesn't look like a glitch since others are showing active ads

Could be a fluke, but...

Just shared this in the PoliEra thread but felt it was worth putting here:

Rothenberg: Presidential race now leans toward the Democrats

The money quote:

If my 2019 assessment essentially put a pinkie on the scale to give the Democrats an edge in the 2020 race, that evaluation no longer holds. The Democratic nominee –— Joe Biden — now deserves to be a clear favorite in November's presidential contest.

Best to take anything like this with a grain of salt given what's at stake, but still heartening.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie has stopped trying to raise money since this weekend. He knows it is over he is just soft transitioning his hard core supporters over to acceptance. Really soon it will be Biden V Trump. I just hope Biden's campaign does the right things.

I know it's not representative of Bernie voters (I would have been a Bernie voter, I know a bunch, and I support him after Warren), but I don't know how much he can transition these people...the ones on social media. They are basically saying Biden is worse than Trump and the DNC is the devil as if they have been the enemies all along. Not sure why they can't see the forest for the trees that things are about to get a lot worse for people if we don't stop Trump and the RNC.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
giphy.gif

When it comes to fighting for what you believe in. For now this primary is over, but our fight for progressive ideas must rage on.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's not representative of Bernie voters (I would have been a Bernie voter, I know a bunch, and I support him after Warren), but I don't know how much he can transition these people...the ones on social media. They are basically saying Biden is worse than Trump and the DNC is the devil as if they have been the enemies all along. Not sure why they can't see the forest for the trees that things are about to get a lot worse for people if we don't stop Trump and the RNC.

I've been calling redhats cult members since 2016. I voted for Bernie a few weeks ago, but a vocal chunk of his supporters absolutely display the same cult like behavior redhats do.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017

I've moved on to the more pressing issue at hand, like everyone should, including people liking the situation to keep bashing on Bernie with glee. Country is in recession and we might be at a depression. Bernie can be an advocate right now in the senate for the country and Biden can give us his future plans.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sooner we end the primary officially the sooner the divide can heal and we can all unite and work to elect Joe Biden together.

We *all* have to work like our life depends on it to elect Joe Biden. Together. Because for many Americans their lives do depend on Biden beating Trump. The sooner we can unite in this, the better.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be rough because the best thing they can do is hold a rally together as soon as possible after Sanders drops out. But with coronavirus it'd have to be virtual and I don't think it would have th e same impact.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
If Biden can't convince those voters to support him then that's on him. Thankfully twitter isn't representative of the real world so they are likely a vocal minority, but we will just have to wait until November to see if the one's who stay home have any impact Biden's chances.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
This is literally circular logic. "Why is X a progressive requirement? Because these people all do X. Why are they the arbitersof progressivism? Because they are progressive. Why are they progressive? Because they all do X." You've basically just made it inherently true that they define progressivism.

Here's a statement: if you're anti-women's reproductive rights, you're not progressive. What's your stance on that? You've already waffled on it ("gotta look at the context"). I want you to state it.

In your opinion, taking money in that way excludes one from being a progressive, but supporting anti-abortionists (in 2017, no less) or talking about "guns in VT are different from guns in Chicago" does not exclude one from being a progressive.
What are you talking about? I clearly said you take into account all policy positions and record into account. Why did you ignore this? In the Biden vs Bernie case, what areas are you saying Biden is more progressive in and what areas do you think Bernie is more progressive in?

Make the list and compare the two. If you then decide Biden, then I'm sorry you're not a progressive. My stance has never been that a single issue defines progressiveness, and I've never stated that context is important for that single stance, more that context of the candidate as a whole matters. It's the same reason why we'll criticize progressive politicians for stances on issues, yet at the same time rally behind them. No candidate is perfect.

Go ahead, I'll be waiting. Make a list of the issues and award a "progressive winner" to decide who is overall more progressive. I think I'll wait forever because there will be no arguing out of this.

Policy positions
Record
Campaign financing

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be rough because the best thing they can do is hold a rally together as soon as possible after Sanders drops out. But with coronavirus it'd have to be virtual and I don't think it would have th e same impact.
I think a televised intimate discussion at a table would work.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
The sooner we end the primary officially the sooner the divide can heal and we can all unite and work to elect Joe Biden together.

We *all* have to work like our life depends on it to elect Joe Biden. Together. Because for many Americans their lives do depend on Biden beating Trump. The sooner we can unite in this, the better.
The divide isn't going to heal unless Biden takes on M4A policies. Because for many people, they are voting for their lives, and when the choice between Biden or Trump results in the same situation for them, they'll just stay home.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The divide isn't going to heal unless Biden takes on M4A policies. Because for many people, they are voting for their lives, and when the choice between Biden or Trump results in the same situation for them, they'll just stay home.
Biden will follow the trend of all recent Democratic presidents and pick strong judges who protect womens rights and minorities.

Trump will replace RBG with an alt-right pro-life wacko.

Nothing else needs to be said. If they stay home knowing this fact then they never truly cared about the causes Bernie fought for in the first place.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? I clearly said you take into account all policy positions and record into account. Why did you ignore this? In the Biden vs Bernie case, what areas are you saying Biden is more progressive in and what areas do you think Bernie is more progressive in?

Make the list and compare the two. If you then decide Biden, then I'm sorry you're not a progressive. My stance has never been that a single issue defines progressiveness, and I've never stated that context is important for that single stance, more that context of the candidate as a whole matters. It's the same reason why we'll criticize progressive politicians for stances on issues, yet at the same time rally behind them. No candidate is perfect.

Go ahead, I'll be waiting. Make a list of the issues and award a "progressive winner" to decide who is overall more progressive. I think I'll wait forever because there will be no arguing out of this.

Policy positions
Record
Campaign financing

This seems silly. You can vote for the less progressive person and still be progressive. It's not an all or nothing thing. If Biden were elected, his platform would be the most progressive of any president (with the usual caveat of FDR when he didn't give a fuck). Supporting him would still be supporting progressive policies, just not the MOST progressive ones.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

Those people were never going to vote for anyone but Bernie Sanders. If it were Elizabeth Warren in the lead, they'd find a way to cast her as worse than Trump. If it were Beto O'Rourke in the lead, they'd find a way to cast him as worse than Trump. They weren't politically active before 2015, and they won't be after 2020. Fuck 'em.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden will follow the trend of all recent Democratic presidents and pick strong judges who protect womens rights and minorities.

Nothing else needs to be said.
The public isn't hip to nor cares about the Supreme Court. "Nothing changed for me" will always beat SC picks unfortunately. We are terribly educated lol. It's a no-brainer for us yet Trump is somehow still viable.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
This seems silly. You can vote for the less progressive person and still be progressive. It's not an all or nothing thing. If Biden were elected, his platform would be the most progressive of any president (with the usual caveat of FDR when he didn't give a fuck). Supporting him would still be supporting progressive policies, just not the MOST progressive ones.
It is not silly. In the general election I would grant you this. In the primary when the race was still on, you had a choice. You chose the more progressive candidate or you did not.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Until July 22): Second Violation of the Primary OT Staff Post Regarding Hostility

Nothing else needs to be said. If they stay home knowing this fact then they never truly cared about the causes Bernie fought for in the first place.
No, more needs to be said since it seems you lack empathy here. These are people who unless radical change comes to the healthcare system will likely die in the next few years. Including a bunch of LGBT individuals.

What you're saying is that you don't care that they're going to die. Your job is to convince them to vote. Why would they vote if both candidates are going to kill them?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It is not silly. In the general election I would grant you this. In the primary when the race was still on, you had a choice. You chose the more progressive candidate or you did not.

If your aim is to vote for the most progressive candidate sure. It's up to what you want out of your vote. You can vote for the less progressive or more progressive candidate. Neither choice makes you less progressive.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both GOP and Dem members wants something like UBI.

But Joe Manchin seems to be opposed to it.
Volimar is correct. If you think Manchin's going to be opposed to fiscal stimulus, you're getting your news from some very, very bad sources.
No, more needs to be said since it seems you lack empathy here. These are people who unless radical change comes to the healthcare system will likely die in the next few years. Including a bunch of LGBT individuals.

What you're saying is that you don't care that they're going to die. Your job is to convince them to vote. Why would they vote if both candidates are going to kill them?
The reason people obsess over specifically M4A as opposed to other comprehensive UHC solutions modeled after multipayer models found elsewhere in Europe is not because "people are going to die", it's because they view "capitalism" as the enemy, a PoV not shared by the vast majority of US voters. We absolutely need to get a universal coverage system in place. It absolutely does not need to be single payer in order to achieve universal coverage and get cost savings in the process.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Of course right after I put my ballot in the mail. I swear this is all a big conspiracy to prevent me from voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.