• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
User Banned (Until July 22): Inflammatory Point of Comparison and Second Violation of the Primary OT Staff Post with Regards to Metacommentary
The same people repeating the "mean things in Twitter" line probably would have been fine with GamerGate. Just because you haven't experienced unimaginable vitriol and harassment doesn't mean it hasn't been out there, and it's discerning how much people are willing to dismiss online harassment because in the name of furthering their own ideals.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe you weren't here when people like me felt bad when Warren was losing and people here were calling her names, telling her to drop out, and posting snake emojis. Maybe you weren't here when people were calling Pete a rat. Maybe you weren't here as several posters wer caught literally not figuratively, literally posting right wing twitter accounts and youtube videos to advance their bad faith talking points against Biden. Maybe you haven't been here as people advanced a conspiracy theory that weaponized mental health issues in order to attack Biden with edited together footage and disproven "proof".

I'm all for civility, but calling for it now is about two months too late.

...Someone had to to say this.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
So... Joe has problems with young people and Latino voters. Seems like maybe a good pick for Veep would be... AOC?  🤔😅

Too bad she's not old enough smh.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never stepped foot on twitter. My experience is 100% exclusively on this site.

As a Warren supporter.... the behavior blew my mind. The vitriol was mind blowing.

Yeah, the vitriol sucked and you are absolutely fair to feel angry about it, but to paint every supporter, including those who didn't involve themselves in these threads as "deserving" of toxicity because "they didn't do enough" isn't it.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
I don't get this. Bernie has called out the toxic elements of his supporters.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...out-bernie-sanders-supporters-behavior-115424
Doesn't matter, Bernie has to go above and beyond this. Wait a minute, Kamala's Khive was worse? Christy Smith actively courted them and didn't condemn them? This can't be happening. We're clearly not using this as a way to beat on our political opponents for political reasons.

*crickets

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The same people repeating the "mean things in Twitter" line probably would have been fine with GamerGate. Just because you haven't experienced unimaginable vitriol and harassment doesn't mean it hasn't been out there, and it's discerning how much people are willing to dismiss online harassment because in the name of furthering their own ideals.

Who is this post directed at?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As someone who was personally affected by GG to the point where it mentally scarred me, don't do this comparison.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Been watching the results come in. Really fucked up to see media talking heads try to tie Bernie staying in with people being at risk of catching corona and dying. As if these primaries can't be delayed. The people that are responsible for putting people's health at risk are those demanding these primaries take place now.
They're trying to blame Bernie even though there is more than 1 race happening and that wouldn't change with Bernie dropping out. Better to blame Bernie than the leadership. And this is someone who would welcome Bernie to drop out as he lost already.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this. Bernie has called out the toxic elements of his supporters.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...out-bernie-sanders-supporters-behavior-115424
It will never be enough, and it was never really about that. All they've wanted is for him to drop out
name some names if you're going to throw out this inflammatory nonsense

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I realize we're all theorycrafting here, but the one thing that's objectively true about Joe Biden is that he wants a VP he likes and trusts, because that was literally his jam.

It's honestly going to be the woman he gets along with best. Maybe that's Abrams; maybe that's Gretchen Whitmer. I don't think it'll be Amy or Harris, because I can't imagine either of them putting up with Biden's personality, and they certainly wouldn't be able to hide it.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I don't personally paint the left as being hyper exclusionary. It was under Bernie; but I link that to him and both of his campaigns. I don't think the left is naturally that combative or exclusionary at all. People took their candidates lead... Both elections and they lost because that approach sucks. I hope we never see it again and maybe the chances of winning will skyrocket. But I'm not surprised it lost twice.

You attach a different person with different and perhaps better characteristics to the exact same policy and it probably does MUCH better. Theres been a million articles written on it by this point. But Ill bet the next person to try comes in with a unifying message and one of building a better future and much much much much MUCH less "Fuck the progressive party of the U.S., its achieved exactly nothing and should burn in fire alongside everyone associated with it".

That may not have been the intent, but that's how it came off, and it lost him entire ass voting demographics. Even if you are going to transform the party for the better, do so without taking THAT tone and I can just about guarantee more support than vitriol.

This, I hope one day Bernie fans will understand. It isn't the policies or ideas that people rejected, it's the messenger.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
As someone who was personally affected by GG to the point where it mentally scarred me, don't do this comparison.
I sympathize greatly. Nobody should be targeted and victimized on social media, which is the point I'm making. Downplaying the way people were negatively treated on social media is completely unacceptable. You shouldn't be dismissing the people saying they were victimized and should instead be aggressively demonizing the people doing the harassment.

name some names if you're going to throw out this inflammatory nonsense
That is a violation of the forum rules and contributes nothing to the conversation, so no I won't.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. Hoping for Castro, Duckworth or Grisham at this point. Abrams too but that is probably too complicated.
After Castro contributed to the right wing biden dementia narrative at that debate? I should think not.
That is a violation of the forum rules and contributes nothing to the conversation, so no I won't.
Perhaps you should have considered that line of reasoning before comparing people to gamer gaters for supporting bernie? What did that contribute?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I've floated Warren as VP for a while, but I'm realizing that not only would she be our best shot at progressive policies coming from the White House, but she would also be incredibly capable at helping Biden navigate the pandemic and a looming economic meltdown. Biden is going to need all the help he can get.

So it seems a VP's power and influence has varied dramatically historically speaking and Biden felt that Cheney was way out of line in the amount of influence he held.

I wonder if Warren wouldn't have more influence and power as a cabinet member to actually manage any crisis?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Definitely. Hoping for Castro, Duckworth or Grisham at this point. Abrams too but that is probably too complicated.
I think Duckworth is a stronger dark horse than people give her credit for.

I imagine Biden's going to pick an older (but not too old) woman just because it increases the likelihood they could talk about things. I think Duckworth has a story of triumph after personal loss, as well one of consistent public (especially military) service, that would resonate with Joe because of his own life and because of his son, who also served in the Army like she did.

I earnestly believe that these things are going to matter more to Biden than "Stacey Abrams may put Georgia in play." It very well could be Abrams! But that would mean she and Joe got along--I can't see him picking someone purely for political reasons or for something as fuzzy as "balancing the ticket."

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

gamergate was lead by alt right 4chan types, how the hell would leftists be fine with that. please, explain

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's going to be her or Abrams honestly.

I don't see Warren or Harris at all.

I don't think there's a clear front runner.

Klob doesn't appeal to anyone at all outside of her home state, and MN is going D regardless of who is on the ballot.
Warren's senate seat is unsafe if she steps away. She needs to hold it for Dems to have a chance at control.
Harris's seat is safe and she's a good pick in most ways, but CA is going D anyway, and she's also a strong pick for Attorney General instead.

Abrams has a weak national profile and the deep south is locked Trump country, but otherwise she checks most of the boxes.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be Klobuchar.

Younger woman, Midwest (helps with MI and MN).

Since Biden should win PA, that really narrows the map. Really only need one more state and Biden is president.

Status
Not open for further replies.