• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you weren't here when people like me felt bad when Warren was losing and people here were calling her names, telling her to drop out, and posting snake emojis. Maybe you weren't here when people were calling Pete a rat. Maybe you weren't here as several posters wer caught literally not figuratively, literally posting right wing twitter accounts and youtube videos to advance their bad faith talking points against Biden. Maybe you haven't been here as people advanced a conspiracy theory that weaponized mental health issues in order to attack Biden with edited together footage and disproven "proof".

I'm all for civility, but calling for it now is about two months too late.
Post of the thread.

Good shit

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I guess it's fine to air grievances as it is a form of mourning and cathartic release. But by this time next week, we all need a united front. Especially since Trump is intent on stealing the Dems thunder by proposing cutting one time checks to Americans. We need to hammer home that $2000 a month thing and Bernie can lead the way.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this.

Bernie supporters have earned every ounce of toxicity they are getting now after their behavior over the course of the campaign.

To be clear, I'm not in favor of toxicity at all. But the people calling for folks to be nice after the vitriol of the past few months are just something else...

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Bernie getting blown out in every state accomplishes nothing except making the progressive movement look very insignificant. I wish he would have dropped out after the debate!

Pretty much this.

Bernie supporters have earned every ounce of toxicity they are getting now after their behavior over the course of the campaign.

What a stupid post.

"I saw a small part of Bernie's base being mean on twitter so that gives me free reign to be a jackass as much as I want!"

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but then it looks like sore losers
Plus it kind of wreaks of privilege. Like what Trump does has no impact on you so it's no big deal.

I mean, voting is a persuasion game. It sucks, I wish it wasn't and voting was both mandatory and easy, but persuasion is usually how we get people to the polls. And browbeating, shaming, and mocking usually has the opposite effect unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie and Biden need to do some kind of joint speech where Biden comes out for $1,000 UBI and some other programs that he's probably already endorsed. The appearance of unity is needed rn.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
...Ok you do realize that Bernie supporters are not a monolith and to imply that every Bernie Sanders supporter "deserves this" is...depressing.
Generalizations like that should cop a warning and a ban for repeats. I'm so sick of being lumped in with the minority of Sanders supporters that have made questionable posts. I never posted snake emojis ffs!

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
User Banned (Until July 22): Second Violation of the Primary OT Staff Post with Regards to Metacommentary and Generalizations
What a stupid post.

"I saw a small part of Bernie's base being mean on twitter so that gives me free reign to be a jackass as much as I want!"
"small part"

Good joke.

Also, I never said free reign. However, the irony can't be ignored. They were awful to EVERY other candidate and their supporters for the entirety of the campaign on this site.

Even if a particular supporter did not participate, they certainly weren't out there calling for their compatriots to lay off.

Oct 25, 2017
edit I accidentally quoted the wrong post

this was Volimar

If you think politics is a game about personalities and online wars then sure. I promised to vote for the furthest left candidate when my state came around because that's the change I think we need. I do think Pete's approach was gross and dishonest and I was disappointed when Warren shifted right to differentiate herself from Bernie. I also don't like the way Bernie used Joe Rogan's support - I hate the guy. I think progressivism or leftism in my case is different things in different contexts. In elections, it's about policy and ideological alignment. In media, it's about pure representation. In society, it's about understanding. It sucks. All of it sucks. I wanted the outcome that had the best shot of convincing people that we could do more if we believed in it. And Bernie fucked up. I don't dispute that. But when you laugh at the failure of progressivism it feels like you're laughing at me and everyone I know who suffered under Obama and will suffer under Biden and the foreseeable future. I'm sorry about all of it.

I know someone irl who tweets crazy conspiracy bullshit constantly and one of his tweets was shared here. I know how annoying it can be. But also don't expect everyone to be nice about candidates that take pleasure in perpetuating the failings of government that make their lives miserable.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I've floated Warren as VP for a while, but I'm realizing that not only would she be our best shot at progressive policies coming from the White House, but she would also be incredibly capable at helping Biden navigate the pandemic and a looming economic meltdown. Biden is going to need all the help he can get.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Also, we actually have a very active US politics OT thread in Hangouts. Check us out. We don't bite. Well not much anyway. And everyone can get virtual hugs there too. We give out plenty.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
"small part"

Good joke.

Also, I never said free reign. However, the irony can't be ignored. They were awful to EVERY other candidate and their supporters for the entirety of the campaign on this site.

Even if a particular supporter did not participate, they certainly weren't out there calling for their compatriots to lay off.
You missed the chance to say "comrades."

That said, I don't think there's an affirmative duty on individual people to call out behavior of other, similarly situated individuals. They're only responsible for their own conduct. I hold leaders to a higher standard -- not regular people. I do not begrudge any Bernie supporter for not policing the conduct of other supporters. I'm sure that plenty of every candidate's supporters talked shit about other candidates.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I've floated Warren as VP for a while, but I'm realizing that not only would she be our best shot at progressive policies coming from the White House, but she would also be incredibly capable at helping Biden navigate the pandemic and a looming economic meltdown. Biden is going to need all the help he can get.
I'm not worried about Biden getting help. He has access to vast swathes of many Obama era personnel that are actually competent.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
"small part"

Good joke.

Ahh yes, the people who wanted to stay out of the mud flinging are the most guilty of all.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Wouldn't the Republican Gov of MA appoint her replacement?

I feel like that is a non-starter.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
"small part"

Good joke.

What percentage of the millions of people following him were posting the mean things on twitter. No really, I want you to math it out.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Wasn't there an article a few weeks ago that disproved this whole "Bernie supporters are the worst" talking point?

Bernie getting blown out in every state accomplishes nothing except making the progressive movement look very insignificant. I wish he would have dropped out after the debate!
I agree with this, sadly. I think it's time. I want him to continue to have a voice but getting creamed in the rest of the primaries is just going to be more discouraging to progressives.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"small part"

Good joke.

Ok this is just insulting. "You deserve this no matter what and you didn't do enough to stop it." Are you serious?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It's not just on twitter and i don't see anyone from bernies camp or base actually condemning these people.

it's always "it's just a few bad apples who cares"

Bernie has condemned harassment many many times. He condemns it pretty much everytime it's brought up.

Oh sorry, I forgot every supporter of any candidate is responsible for every other supporter of said candidate.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
lol that "special rule" is called a legislative supermajority.
Yup, gonna start taking a shot every time this has to be pointed out, but the legislature can change the rules and override the R governor's veto.

They already did this in 2004 to ensure Kerry wouldn't be replaced by a Romney appointee if he won.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching the results come in. Really fucked up to see media talking heads try to tie Bernie staying in with people being at risk of catching corona and dying. As if these primaries can't be delayed. The people that are responsible for putting people's health at risk are those demanding these primaries take place now.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is currently taking donations in the middle of a pandemic and approaching a massive recession for a race he has zero chance of winning. Dude can fuck right off.
This is currently my biggest issue. He's not winning. He's not coming close in a lot of these states and doing worse then last time. His path to winning shrinks everyday yet he's still asking for money. I didn't like that last time and I dislike it even more this time. That to me is
very shady and outright dishonest. That said if people want to keep burning money and can't see where things are headed then let them I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.