• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
He'll be back in 2024.
2235.jpg

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, how does he push the platform left by getting blown out week after week? His best position of leverage was a week ago, it's going to diminish as time goes on.
Not sure what leverage he has left at this point. Biden can effectively ignore him and it won't matter.

Sanders never had leverage in that sense. An endorsement can buy a cabinet post, but Sanders isn't fighting for a cushy post for himself — he wants Medicare for All, an end to supporting human rights abuses by the likes of Saudi Arabia and Israel, and a Green New Deal. The only way that happens is by continuing to campaign and debate on a leftist platform, raising awareness and spreading the message among the American people so that they demand social justice from President Biden and other elected officials. It's a movement, not a person.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
those exit polls for Illinois are similar to polling from before

biden is gonna have a strong showing

Oct 25, 2017
I put a lot of the very little money I had in equal amounts to Liz and Bernie when each of them was leading because I need the things they were fighting for. I've tried my best to be respectful and accepting but the way people on this site have reacted to the way this has all gone down has shaken some of my more positive beliefs about humanity and the nature of this community.

Most people here have got your back, don't be put off by a very vocal minority

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Sad, but expected. I hope Bernie has at least given some progressive youth some hope to get involved. Maybe we can figure out a good way to get the youth out to vote in the future.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah disagree on both points. Sanders hanging on when it's over and becoming less popular and relevant doesn't give him more leverage. And from a policy standpoint, they're both bottlenecked by the senate. I still think Biden drives more progressive policy, by having more ability to elect democratic senators, and then build coalitions to actually pass laws. Sanders supporters greatly overestimate what he could actually do.

Do you believe Jeb Bush and Donald Trump are interchangeable? How about Kasich? (Assume Pelosi still has control of the House in these scenarios.)

Would we still have the MAGA heads committing hate crimes in record numbers? Detention camps on the border? A Muslim ban? The move of the US embassy to Jerusalem and a sham peace plan that calls for annihilation of Palestinians? The abandonment of allies across the world? A trash fire response to Hurricane Maria and now to COVID-19? Absolute failures of government agencies from Commerce to Education to HUD?

Bernie's not going to be the Democratic nominee. That doesn't mean he should give up on progressive ideals while there's still a stage to broadcast them from.

Last edited:

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie, please fuck off into the sunset
This. The party's got some healing and war planning to do.

Biden might only do one term.

And even if he didn't, I wouldn't put it past Bernie.
Assuming his health hold's up, he'll be a fossil. He's made his point and it's mobilized a lot of young people. At some point it needs to be about the movement and not the person leading it.

I voted Bernie, but it would have been so much better to get out after last Tuesday's demolishing. Losing major states by 20+% again to Joe Biden is overall going to do real damage to the Progressive wing of the party. It's just showing that his wins were a mirage and it's alarming the demographics that do not vote for him. He's going to exit this race with a whimper. It sucks. Every day he's losing political capital to hopefully move the party more progressive.
It's not going to make the moderates all that comfortable with taking a hard left. I don't think he'll de-legitimize the entire movement, but having voters resoundly reject him ain't helping.

Last edited:

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
That is the point. It's not about Bernie's ego; it's about trying to get Democrats to support good policy. As soon as Sanders suspends his campaign and endorses Biden, Biden will swing even further to the middle.

The supposition that lives would be the same under President Sanders and under President Biden is as ridiculous as supposing we'd be just as bad off as we are now if Kasich (or Jeb) were in the Oval Office.

Once the primary is over, candidates always switch to being more moderate for the general. It's no surprise.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
People are being laid off, have no paid leave and loosing their employers insurance and kicked out of their home in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic.

This country truly is a joke, fear mongering basic necessities.

Empty promises election after election and the public eat it up.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring the Primary OT Staff Post Regarding Metacommentary
People telling Bernie Sanders to fuck off over the sex offending compulsive liar who can't even compose a full sentence are rich.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Bernie, but it would have been so much better to get out after last Tuesday's demolishing. Losing major states by 20+% again to Joe Biden is overall going to do real damage to the Progressive wing of the party. It's just showing that his wins were a mirage and it's alarming the demographics that do not vote for him. He's going to exit this race with a whimper. It sucks. Every day he's losing political capital to hopefully move the party more progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.