• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Unarguably the world would be a better place if less over 60s voted (or trended to vote smarter but FYGM) and there's less of a chance that they will be infected. Fuck the over 60s that vote with their last gasps to drag us to hell with their selfish asses. Biden said he has no sympathy for the young? Then I have no sympathy for the olds who turn up on droves to kill people through their selfishness and ignorance.

"B-but D E C O R U M" finger wagged the Liberal, as they tumbled into the abyss.
So the Republican playbook. Rather be a Liberal than whatever this is.

Actually, why should anyone feel bad about being a liberal? Liberals get stuff done; progressives would rather wax poetic on the Internet than actually go out and vote.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Unarguably the world would be a better place if less over 60s voted (or trended to vote smarter but FYGM) and there's less of a chance that they will be infected. Fuck the over 60s that vote with their last gasps to drag us to hell with their selfish asses. Biden said he has no sympathy for the young? Then I have no sympathy for the olds who turn up on droves to kill people through their selfishness and ignorance.

"B-but D E C O R U M" finger wagged the Liberal, as they tumbled into the abyss.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Nietzsche

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
1. Sexism is still a force in this country
2. Russians can interfere in our elections
3. The FBI director announcing an investigation can hurt a candidate
4. You have to pay attention to the rust belt and not assume a blue wall is guaranteed to hold
5. Turnout of an extra 100K voters in those rust belt states would have turned the tide
6. Donald Trump style populism is a real threat and must be taken seriously
7. The Electoral College sucks(we already knew this but it's always time for a refresher)
8. There is a greater than zero number of people who dislike Hillary Clinton
9. Joe Biden should have run in 2016
10. Everyone in this country should vote

11. Maybe referring to half the country as deplorable isn't a good campaign strategy.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And people told me campaigns don't change their platforms for the General.....

Text:
NEW:
@JoeBiden
's campaign confirms that he has reviewed
@ewarren
's bankruptcy plan closely, and is endorsing her proposal, as he said in his IL town hall. That's a significant shift, as the proposal would largely undo the 2005 bankruptcy bill the two clashed over in Congress.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Text:
NEW:
@JoeBiden
@ewarren
's bankruptcy plan closely, and is endorsing her proposal, as he said in his IL town hall. That's a significant shift, as the proposal would largely undo the 2005 bankruptcy bill the two clashed over in Congress.

Warren endorsement would be another blow.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Nietzsche

I would argue that the Geneology of Morals made the case that Nietzchie was refering not to a binary dichotomy of morals, but a watchfulness as to language itself. A warning not to be as those whom yield use it to manipulate thought and framing. The Abyss itself isn't meant to have an 'alignment'.

Also I'm not advocating for Boomers to die, I'm saying that Boomers voting in smaller relative numbers and getting less exposure to a life threatening communicable virus would be a net good (mutually exclusive and interdependently).

But you do you.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
saying that young people are probably more aware of the challenges of the 21st century then people 65+ is just a fact

they obviously should have every right and in fact accomodations avalible to help them to vote, but to act like they are bribing the same concerns as under 40s is to deny basic facts of demography

in a election cycle where it seems like the priorities of the young are to help everyone and the priorities of the old are to hedge their bets i understand why people might be frustrated

I'd agree if young people were voting, but they're not.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warren endorsement would be another blow.

it doesn't make a difference. For her own brand, she shouldn't endorse anyone. Same deal as the Obamas who would obviously endorse Biden. Why alienate more people during an intraparty race? It won't help Biden and will just piss off Sanders supporters more, both against the nominee and against Warren. She can endorse when it is 100% decided

Look at the backlash against Yang for saying he endorsed Biden because the race is over and he pledged to support the nominee

less

Oct 25, 2017

Text:
NEW:
@JoeBiden
@ewarren

No doubt that Warren's camp has been in talks with Biden.

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that the Geneology of Morals made the case that Nietzchie was refering not to a binary dichotomy of morals, but a watchfulness as to language itself. A warning not to be as those whom yield use it to manipulate thought and framing. The Abyss itself isn't meant to have an 'alignment'.

Also I'm not advocating for Boomers to die, I'm saying that Boomers voting in smaller relative numbers and getting less exposure to a life threatening communicable virus would be a net good (mutually exclusive and interdependently).

But you do you.

You and Newt, allies at last.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
one doesn't preclude the other

your approach to the issue reads more as a post hoc rationalization then argumentative charity. It is after all a very intuitive point I'm trying to make.

in my mind the occams razor explanation is that young people understand their plight in relative terms better then people who dont share in it and don't vote for other reasons like economic precarity, despair, alienation and structural barriers to entry.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
one doesn't preclude the other

your approach to the issue reads more as a post hoc rationalization then argumentative charity. It is after all a very intuitive point I'm trying to make.

in my mind the occams razor explanation is that young people understand their plight in relative terms better then people who dont share in it and don't vote for other reasons like economic precarity, despair, alienation and structural barriers to entry.
All of which affect older black voters to the same if not greater extent.
And yet they're still voting.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The answer to improving life in a democratic and fair way is for more people to vote, not to hope the other side doesn't vote.

If people don't agree with your worldview or politics, your job is to work to change their mind.

If people do agree with your politics, your job is to get them to vote, lol.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, why should anyone feel bad about being a liberal? Liberals get stuff done; progressives would rather wax poetic on the Internet than actually go out and vote.

Progressive is a meaningless word, you're looking for (I assume) leftists.

You and Newt, allies at last.

And to the surprise of no one, before us we see a poster having invoked —but never read— Nitchzie also not reading my post.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

Text:
NEW:
@JoeBiden
@ewarren

This gives hope that Bernie camp can convince Biden to take on M4A, at least in some part if not in whole. Perhaps Warren can help with that as well, as her plan was similar to Bernie's, but also dealt with Biden's largest grievance - that being raising middle class taxes.

Ms. Bridge Snek to the rescue?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Text:
NEW:
@JoeBiden
@ewarren

A cue that Biden would be receptive to changing his platform. This is a positive development.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure youth voting (in raw numbers) is up. Young people face massive structural challenges to voting that are not present for the older more we'll of voters. For instance how many people here are even aware the targeted efforts to suppress youth voting following the midterms?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
All of which affect older black voters to the same if not greater extent.
And yet they're still voting.
that's just not the case for everything i mentioned, but it fits the narrative so i am most certainly not going to dispute that you seem to think it is the case

at the risk of expressing "hostility" most of the political analysis that goes on in this thread consists of throwing around single dynamic "maxims" that would not fly as analysis in an undergrad soc-sci essay

which at the end of the day is fine, people are just posting it's not anyone's job and there are no exams. However I am under no obligation to take that level of analysis seriously

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
that's just not the case for everything i mentioned, but it fits the narrative so i am most certainly not going to dispute that you seem to think it is the case

at the risk of expressing "hostility" most of the political analysis that goes on in this thread consists of throwing around single dynamic "maxims" that would not fly as analysis in an undergrad soc-sci essay

which at the end of the day is fine, people are just posting it's not anyone's job and there are no exams. However I am under no obligation to take that level of analysis seriously
Are black voters more or less disenfranchised than young voters?

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure youth voting (in raw numbers) is up. Young people face massive structural challenges to voting that are not present for the older more we'll of voters. For instance how many people here are even aware the targeted efforts to suppress youth voting following the midterms?

*citation required*

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Biden adopting Warren's Bankruptcy Plan. Good to see the platform move further left.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people and why should I give any credence to their analysis?

they should be giving credence cause they're muddying the waters with the fact that the largest demo that broke for Biden was Blackvoters in the south. What matters is we not think about the real reasons Bernie Sanders lost and instead invent narratives where it wasn't foolish to try to win the nomination with 30% of democratic voters.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Are black voters more or less disenfranchised than young voters?
ok first off strucutural barriers was one of four reasons i gave and you are ignorning most of them to drill down to one example that can delegitimize the broader point. just so we're clear

there is not a blanket statement answer so you'll have to ask different questions, this is because

1. there are different barriers in place for different groups
2. those barriers are not evenly distributed
3. there in an intersectional aspect of demography. there are young black voters and old white voters
4. intersectionality means treating race as an important vector but not to the exlcusion of age and class

but either way it's immaterial to the point i was making because it was never hinged on some hypothetical relative ranking of net structural disenfranchisement

Oct 25, 2017
Progressive is a meaningless word, you're looking for (I assume) leftists.

And to the surprise of no one, before us we see a poster having invoked —but never read— Nitchzie also not reading my post.

This is not a claim about binaries (Personally, I try to stay away from those in general because they severely limit thinking.) and it certainly isn't a claim that the Abyss is some sort of alignment.

It's basically just me asking you to take a step back and reassess the situation, because I think you are misreading it and are saying some gross shit as a consequence.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This gives hope that Bernie camp can convince Biden to take on M4A, at least in some part if not in whole. Perhaps Warren can help with that as well, as her plan was similar to Bernie's, but also dealt with Biden's largest grievance - that being raising middle class taxes.

Ms. Bridge Snek to the rescue?
Medicare for America (an already existing piece of legislation in the House, and the one Beto pretty much just adopted wholesale for his presidential run) seems like a solid halfway point between M4All and simply offering a public option.

This is a pretty good run down of M4America versus All:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/explaining-medicare-medicare-america/story?id=62341639

Essentially guarantees public coverage for everyone, but allows you to buy private insurance if you'd really rather prefer that. The major difference between this and Biden's public option to me is intent, the priorities are flipped. The ACA was structured around reforming private insurance, and the public option proposal back then (which it should be pointed out was much weaker than what Biden is currently running on) was more just about having a fail-safe option in case private insurance wasn't cutting it.

Some have argued this would create kind of a backdoor in which case the public option would become Americans' de facto healthcare plan and slowly kill private insurance, which I think could still happen, but with M4America that seems like the more deliberate goal. It's not built on getting people on private insurance, with a public option just in case - instead that whole dynamic is flip-flopped.

I dunno, I'm sure it wouldn't please everybody but it seems like a fair compromise between the two approaches. Everyone gets covered, but private insurance isn't banned.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
saying that young people are probably more aware of the challenges of the 21st century then people 65+ is just a fact

they obviously should have every right and in fact accomodations avalible to help them to vote, but to act like they are bribing the same concerns as under 40s is to deny basic facts of demography

in a election cycle where it seems like the priorities of the young are to help everyone and the priorities of the old are to hedge their bets i understand why people might be frustrated

"in a election cycle where it seems like the priorities of the young are to help everyone and the priorities of the old are to hedge their bets"

I don't disagree with most of what you say here, but I do fundamentally disagree with this line. Both groups want to help everyone, they just tend to have very different theories of how that help comes about,

Status
Not open for further replies.