• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Do the math for the potential outcomes and arguments like these look ridiculous.

Bernie has more delegates than at this point than Obama did in 08.
Obama at the end of February 08: 1,323.5
Clinton at the end of Feburary 08: 1,222.5

Biden right now: 881
Bernie: 725

giphy.gif

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really frustrating take to see. Just because a candidate doesn't win doesn't mean that you shouldn't take them and their supporters seriously. Saying that a large minority of the party are a bunch of sore losers who the winners shouldn't compromise with is the opposite of unity.

That's the arrogance that is going to lose the democrats this election, it's almost a carbon repeat of 2016.
They think because an establishment candidate is winning, everyone else will fall in line. They and the many who support them will make zero effort to reach out and try to connect with those voters, something they will not fail to remind you is why Bernie lost. Hypocrisy does not begin to describe it.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said the biggest gangsta move Bernie could have done would be turn the debate into a 90 minute talk on what happens next with the country and how him Biden was going to work together. He could have come out looking like a king maker

God that'd be great. It would be an incredible unity message for the country when the GOP have to constantly restate and walkback every damn thing. People want a leader and, outside of his deplorable base, nobody views Trump as that.

A clear message would go a long way.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary

VtDigger said:
A total breakdown of the 5,769 people incarcerated in 2017 in Vermont shows:

• White, 4,909, or 85.1 percent
• Black, 488, or 8.5 percent
• Hispanic, 9, or 0.2 percent
• Native American/Native Alaskan, 3, or 0.6 percent
• Middle Eastern, 1 percent
• Unknown, 291, or 5 percent

The report does not look at why the racial disparity exists.

vtdigger.org

Racial disparity in Vermont prisons little changed, report says - VTDigger

The report, ordered by the Legislature last session, has more detailed data than previous reports.

Vs:

Wikipedia said:
Population of Vermont: 623,989

94.3% of the population identified as white not of Hispanic or Latino origin in a 2013 U.S. Census estimate.[111] As of the 2010 census, Vermont was the second-whitest state in the Union after Maine.[112]

Judging by birthrate percentages, the black population is around 1% (1-1.5%), which would mean anything between 6000-9000 people.
Still a devastating percentage, but that claim is factually false, by an order of magnitude.

And Sanders campaigned on pardoning all weed-related offenses while restoring voting rights as well, fwiw.

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting tiresome seeing people questioning what other people realize and don't realize about a candidate's political history. A vote for a candidate is not caping for them or their entire political history, nor does it mean someone is acting on "low information".

Sometimes a vote simply means "I'm voting this way absent of better/other options, and to prevent worse options from winning." We've established the "why" on this in multiple threads and posts over the past few months.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's the arrogance that is going to lose the democrats this election, it's almost a carbon repeat of 2016.
They think because an establishment candidate is winning, everyone else will fall in line. They and the many who support them will make zero effort to reach out and try to connect with those voters, something they will not fail to remind you is why Bernie lost. Hypocrisy does not begin to describe it.
Glad to see you didn't even bother to read my post or maybe you would've seen where I stated Sanders was my #1, but don't let that stop ya..

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I agree dude, let's look at what Biden and Bernie were doing during the civil rights movement.
My dude lets get over that "he marched with MLK" bludgeon. And after that he took his ass up to Vermont one of the whitest states in the union.
www.mic.com

Here's How Black People Actually Fare in Bernie Sanders' Home State

In 2014, Gallup ranked the great state of Vermont the "second-most liberal" in the country. On its surface, the label seemed to fit: 30% of people polled identified as "liberal." Progressive darling Bernie Sanders has represented Vermonters in the…

Black Vermonters make up just 1.2% of the state's general population, but 10.7% of its incarcerated population. This means that, proportionally, there are nearly 10 times more black people locked up in Vermont's jails and prisons on a given day than there are walking its streets.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
www.mic.com

In 2014, Gallup ranked the great state of Vermont the "second-most liberal" in the country. On its surface, the label seemed to fit: 30% of people polled identified as "liberal." Progressive darling Bernie Sanders has represented Vermonters in the…
Higher percentage doesn't mean "There are more black people in Vermont prisons than are walking Vermont streets." That's quite misleading.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have to mention his supporters, he is representative of the people who support him.

I don't even disagree that staying in until the very end of the primary is a good move politically or for the purpose of beating Trump.

What I don't appreciate is people in my own party saying I don't deserve concessions because the person I support is stubborn enough to stay in a losing race.

The person you responded to didn't say anything about deserve. They said that if he stays in and gets further curbstomped, he's go less political capital.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My dude lets get over that "he marched with MLK" bludgeon. And after that he took his ass up to Vermont one of the whitest states in the union.

www.mic.com

The ? wasn't questioning your fact, just Sou Da's reduction of your critique of Bernie to "words that hurt (your) sensibilities"

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

The Democrats were already fired up to vote Trump out of office.

Now Trump winning again during a historic recession and pandemic would be absolute insanity and completely buck every data point that we have on presidents seeking reelection during a recession. Truman won in 1948 but the recession hit in November. Trump won't have that luxury.

So if people wanted him gone before and the economy is almost always the number one issue for voters, then it's going to be an absolute bloodbath this November.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so simple Bernie ran on attacking the democratic base more than he did on trying to win them over. He did it in 2016 and he not only did it again he made it worst. Showboating the Rogan Endorsement, Talking about not voting for black person because they are black isn't racist, skipping the south, skipping the south again to do Fox news, and when he was down he took out a doctored Obama ad. His campaign was Ronald McDonald clown shoes.

Attacking? No no no no no you're mistaken brother. Bernie ran on his to change this party to make it better than it has been. While the other side has been saying remember the good old days of 2012 . I mean Think about it how many people in this thread is rally behind Joe Biden a man who was behind one of the most racist piece of legislation who has fucked over the black community the poor community the Latino community for decades now. As well as numerous other shit he's been a part of. It's fascinating to me how much this party , this core, wants to talk the talk when they have to walk the walk they fail they faltered they make the same mistakes. As. Kendrick Lamar once said shit don't chance until you wash your ass.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Look, I'm not a "Biden stan" or whatever, but what do you call the significant shift left already in Biden's position from that of the party in 2016, let alone 2012 or 2008?

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Policies that Sanders voted for.

Worse yet, Biden claims he didn't see how the crime bill would be used when he wrote it. And given the CBC and many religious leaders in the black community supported it at the time, that's believable.

Meanwhile Sanders claimed he knew it was a bad bill, but voted for it because he supported the Violence Against Women Act. Which Biden also wrote.

So if we take both candidates at their word, Biden has poor foresight and Sanders has amazing prescience, but is perfectly willing to toss black folks under the bus.

They are both politicians in an empire that thrives on supressing the powerless, yes, Bernie is far from being flawless or ideal. (Which on shows like TMBS, it is regularly pointed out, especially for his nonexistent stance on foreign policy, further than the two state solution for Israel/Palestine which is good obviously.) I still maintain that there is a fundamental difference in Bernie being called out for him saying Castro had literacy programs and Biden being proud to opposing Bussing in modern day. But yeah.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Attacking? No no no no no you're mistaken brother. Bernie ran on his to change this party to make it better than it has been. While the other side has been saying remember the good old days of 2012 . I mean Think about it how many people in this thread is rally behind Joe Biden a man who was behind one of the most racist piece of legislation who has fucked over the black community the poor community the Latino community for decades now. As well as numerous other shit he's been a part of. It's fascinating to me how much this party , this core, wants to talk the talk when they have to walk the walk they fail they faltered they make the same mistakes. As. Kendrick Lamar once said shit don't chance until you wash your ass.
That is why the message has been failing, the core of the Democratic party is black women and progressives are going to tell black women they don't want better for themselves is always going to be a nonstarter

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
The person you responded to didn't say anything about deserve. They said that if he stays in and gets further curbstomped, he's go less political capital.
Maybe deserve was too strong of a word to use. Semantics aside, let's be honest. Regardless of what Sanders does Biden and the establishment have zero interest or desire to compromise with Sanders and it's a fantasy to think that Sanders has ANY leverage at all whether he drops out now or stays in the race to the very end.

I get sick of people calling for unity when everyone outside of the Sanders camp has done nothing but show they are absolutely unwilling to compromise with Sanders and the people who support him. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the anti-sanders folks will continue to find excuses not to compromise with him and his base and then try to make everything our fault.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.mic.com

It takes like 5 seconds to realize why this is factually not true.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a single person here say Biden shouldn't compromise with Bernie. It's a smart play that will (hopefully) unify more of the party. Arguing that Bernie should compromise NOW and drop out, because he's going to hold less leverage the more he gets blown out, is not the same as advocating for no compromise. It's acknowledging the very real situation that Bernie see's himself in, and that he needs to put aside his vanity and pride for the good of his ideals. He and his supporters will have less of a say the more he gets blown out.

But let's get one thing straight. If you're idea of compromise is "I'm going to hold this gun to your head and if you don't give me exactly what I want, you'll be sorry" is NOT compromise. It's not unity. It's the antithesis of both.

So if you're idea of "compromise" is Biden adopting Bernie's specific healthcare plan that eradicates private insurance, that is not compromise.

And not to drag anyone here, but if you aren't aware that compromises were made to the democratic platform in 2016 in response to Bernie and his supports, that makes me extremely skeptical that you're actually interested in "compromise" or "unity" to begin with.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a single person here say Biden shouldn't compromise with Bernie. It's a smart play that will (hopefully) unify more of the party. Arguing that Bernie should compromise NOW and drop out, because he's going to hold less leverage the more he gets blown out, is not the same as advocating for no compromise. It's acknowledging the very real situation that Bernie see's himself in, and that he needs to put aside his vanity and pride for the good of his ideals. He and his supporters will have less of a say the more he gets blown out.

But let's get one thing straight. If you're idea of compromise is "I'm going to hold this gun to your head and if you don't give me exactly what I want, you'll be sorry" is NOT compromise. It's not unity. It's the antithesis of both.

So if you're idea of "compromise" is Biden adopting Bernie's specific healthcare plan that eradicates private insurance, that is not compromise.

And not to drag anyone here, but if you aren't aware that compromises were made to the democratic platform in 2016 in response to Bernie and his supports, that makes me extremely skeptical that you're actually interested in "compromise" or "unity" to begin with.
All of this, they compromised with Bernie in 2016 and he sent Cornell West up there to sit on committees . Could not SMH hard enough

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for this. Way too much of the thread discourse is talking past each other.
Biden and Bernie going forward to draft party policy for the general is the ideal scenario.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe deserve was too strong of a word to use. Semantics aside, let's be honest. Regardless of what Sanders does Biden and the establishment have zero interest or desire to compromise with Sanders and it's a fantasy to think that Sanders has ANY leverage at all whether he drops out now or stays in the race to the very end.

I get sick of people calling for unity when everyone outside of the Sanders camp has done nothing but show they are absolutely unwilling to compromise with Sanders and the people who support him. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the anti-sanders folks will continue to find excuses not to compromise with him and his base and then try to make everything our fault.

I do not mean to be inflammatory, but this just reads like projection to me.

The base has moved left. Biden has moved left. Bernie has not moved anywhere, even after losing in 2016.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
The Democrats were already fired up to vote Trump out of office.

Now Trump winning again during a historic recession and pandemic would be absolute insanity and completely buck every data point that we have on presidents seeking reelection during a recession. Truman won in 1948 but the recession hit in November. Trump won't have that luxury.

So if people wanted him gone before and the economy is almost always the number one issue for voters, then it's going to be an absolute bloodbath this November.
So basically Biden just failing upward and getting lucky. Didn't campaign at all, ran almost entirely on being Obama's best bud. Snaps at people at his rallies and tells them to vote for Trump. Has a history of violating women's personal space. Won the primary entirely because of a single endorsement in SC. Referred to a would-be supporter as a "lying dog-faced pony soldier" when they said they had caucused before. Shits on younger generations constantly.

Amazing how doors just open for this guy. I have no hope for this country anymore.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I dont think progressives in general have been the ones calling for unity. Just like civil rights activists werent calling for unity with people oppressing them or finding a way to compromise. Theye calling for radical and fundamental change to the institutions killing them, because its morally and pragmatically the only way forward for all of us.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Vs:

Judging by birthrate percentages, the black population is around 1% (1-1.5%), which would mean anything between 6000-9000 people.
Still a devastating percentage, but that claim is factually false, by an order of magnitude.

And Sanders campaigned on pardoning all weed-related offenses while restoring voting rights as well, fwiw.
And that has to do with
I care more about things that actually materially hurt people rather than words that hurt Slayven's sensibilities.
in what way exactly?
e:That reads to me like Sou da doesn't care about the prison population which I seem to remember is part of Sanders policy.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
So basically Biden just failing upward and getting lucky. Didn't campaign at all, ran almost entirely on being Obama's best bud. Snaps at people at his rallies and tells them to vote for Trump. Has a history of violating women's personal space. Won the primary entirely because of a single endorsement in SC. Referred to a would-be supporter as a "lying dog-faced pony soldier" when they said they had caucused before. Shits on younger generations constantly.

Amazing how doors just open for this guy. I have no hope for this country anymore.

It's amazing to me too, but when you come down to it he's a good candidate to beat Trump, and his policies are solid.

There will be areas that progress will me muted, but others that will be good. And all are better than Trump.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

I do have to admit that at this point, you could run somebody to the left of Sanders himself and still win which is a gigantic missed opportunity.

Trump might have his cult in November and that's it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is why the message has been failing, the core of the Democratic party is black women and progressives are going to tell black women they don't want better for themselves is always going to be a nonstarter
The core? That rich ass liberal white people cuz they got the money. cuz you can't be telling me how this party, actually cares about African American woman cuz I when I look around I don't see the receipts. we always talk about African-American woman being the core of this party yet policies never match , the laws never match that, the talking points never match that. Hell Is remember when Nina Turner got the angry black woman stereotypes even on here .

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
If someone can't beat Biden when he's barely campaigning, that means his case is too much stronger than anyone else's. That's all there is to it.

Step your case up!

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

making a good case for accelerationism, ngl.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Don't worry Sanders supporters, we'll have another chance to elect a progressive in 2036!
This is maddening.
They should expect to elect progressives this year, in 2 years and more after.
Seriously this is getting nowhere if downticket isn't getting more people who support your views.
If anything Congress is more important than the presidency by quite the margin.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
If someone can't beat Biden when he's barely campaigning, that means his case is too much stronger than anyone else's. That's all there is to it.

Step your case up!
It has nothing to do with making a case. Exit polls show that voters don't give a shit about the issues this election cycle, all they care about is beating Trump. Biden getting the Clyburn endorsement right before Super Tuesday was all he needed to propel him to victory.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with making a case. Exit polls show that voters don't give a shit about the issues this election cycle, all they care about is beating Trump. Biden getting the Clyburn endorsement right before Super Tuesday was all he needed to propel him to victory.

I'm not sure our statements disagree. A case isn't just issue-based.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
This is maddening.
They should expect to elect progressives this year, in 2 years and more after.
Seriously this is getting nowhere if downticket isn't getting more people who support your views.
If anything Congress is more important than the presidency by quite the margin.
You're right this isn't the end of anything. I just feel like true progress is never going to come in this country. And I have zero faith in Biden or any Republican to take much needed measures on critical issues like Climate change. The obstacles to progress seem insurmountable.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The core? That rich ass liberal white people cuz they got the money. cuz you can't be telling me how this party, actually cares about African American woman cuz I when I look around I don't see the receipts. we always talk about African-American woman being the core of this party yet policies never match , the laws never match that, the talking points never match that. Hell Is remember when Nina Turner got the angry black woman stereotypes even on here .
This is still america, 12% of the population voting 90% can only do so much

Perspicacity

Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Let's recap:
  • Someone posts a 538 article about how Sanders is losing a key voting bloc in the primary and that's part of why he's losing overall.
  • I concur and elaborate on this, noting that inherently at-risk voting blocs are more risk-averse to a burn-it-all-down approach because they have more to lose.
  • Someone responds and bemoans this as acquiescence to centrism, and that this was the best opportunity to install a Sanders-like candidate.
  • I reiterate it isn't about acquiescing to centrism, it's about valuing an inclusive and practical approach to governance, as opposed to wanting to alienate everyone who disagrees with any single thing. And that someone like AOC seems to understand that bridges need to be built.
  • You then respond that no, the Democratic Party actually needs to be destroyed. And there is some silent disaffected majority out there that are key to the election, because Primaries are just a subset of voters.
Yeah, good, okay.
  • I respond that the person who is bringing new people into the Primary and winning them, and winning voting blocs that have been key to Democratic presidential, and other electoral wins, is Joe Biden.
Show me a single piece of evidence which supports the bold, and I'll relent. Because if you actually look at the exit polls you'll see two things
  • They're higher for Sanders than the vote totals
  • Sanders wins independents and newly registered Democrats across ALL crosstabs
A possible explanation for the former (without entertaining any thought of rigging) is that Sanders is losing some votes cast by newly registered Dems who failed to meet that state's criteria for voting in the primary.
The only realistic explanation for the ladder is that Sanders, not Joe, is bringing people into the primary who would otherwise not be there.

• You reiterate that actually, Joe Biden is not winning the full population because it's a Primary. No duh.
  • I respond that yes, Primaries are not the full electorate. No duh. And this applies to every candidate. Maybe, elaborate on what you want to say.
I've elaborated on this several times, but hopefully I can break it down simply for you.
Primary voters are richer, whiter, older, and better educated than both the general population (all people), the general electorate (eligible voters), and the actual electorate (those who vote).

The other very key difference is in party identification. Primaries are mainly those who already identify with the party, and who benefit from this association. Not to be too tautological, but as the institutional choice Biden is who the institution is choosing.

They are not a representative population of anyone, but they are a reliable base. Primary voters will vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is in good numbers. (I think the two counterfactuals to this are Mondale '84 who alienated the youth wing and Clinton '08 who had mobilised her racist WASP base so hard that they ended up as permanent Republicans, but in both cases the loss was ~20% of candidate supporters).
In the General your base, your primary voters, those who ID with the party are not really up for grabs.

If you don't recognize the difference between primary voters and the electorate then you will fail in your analysis of the general.

• You again talk about a disaffected population, that without any real basis are the key to winning the General Election, and that actually even though it's Joe Biden driving turnout, Bernie Sanders is the one that will drive these people to turnout in a General Election, even though he can't right now, and also he is losing.
  • I point this out. I.e. he's losing. And not really driving turnout to win. And losing key voting blocs that are important for a General Election.
  • You then say that this is why Joe Biden will lose, without basis.
My basis is that I understand the key voting blocs needed to win are the voters you don't already have.

If you think that the primary process is democratic (small 'D'), then you are misinterpreting it. Which is not to say that I think the general election process isn't gerrymandered and rigged as hell, but that there are fewer institutional barriers to participation.

So, so far as I can tell your three major points are:
  1. Democratic Party bad.
  2. Secret Sanders voters don't get to vote now or aren't motivated enough to vote now, but would be key to GE.
  3. Joe Biden will lose.
Yes.

Turn this logic on it's head. Are there "Secret Biden voters" who aren't participating or motivated to vote now? Because if primary voters are the ceiling then he's fucked.

I wouldn't say that. The tectonic plates underlying order are shifting so rapidly right now that anyone who claims with certainty anything about next week is full of shit, let alone what will happen in November.
I do believe that Sanders presents a better chance to bring in independents, is stronger in debates, and conversely has a better shot of taking out Trump. Moreover represents a real opportunity to restrict US Imperialism, which is my motivating interest in this shit. I'd prefer fewer of my friends to die, and I have no faith in a Joe Biden administration to curb interventionist bullshit throughout the world.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think progressives in general have been the ones calling for unity. Just like civil rights activists werent calling for unity with people oppressing them or finding a way to compromise. Theye calling for radical and fundamental change to the institutions killing them, because its morally and pragmatically the only way forward for all of us.

I agree, which is why they unified behind a candidate yelling "revolution" and "down with the establishment."

But we have now learned that is not a winning strategy to garner enough support, even among those groups who would benefit from radical change.

We have also learned that it is not the policies that are the issue, as they have great support from the voters. The problem is the message, and once a more savvy unifying candidate comes along that can participate in the Democratic party while also advocating for those policies, it will be a winning combination, provided those progressives who support Bernie can get behind a Dem candidate pushing all the policies they want without screaming revolution, which remains to be seen.

What these last two primaries have showed us is that if you want progressive change, you have to do it from the inside. You cannot rail against the "establishment Democrats" and expect voters to unify behind you in large enough numbers.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
They are both politicians in an empire that thrives on supressing the powerless, yes, Bernie is far from being flawless or ideal. (Which on shows like TMBS, it is regularly pointed out, especially for his nonexistent stance on foreign policy, further than the two state solution for Israel/Palestine which is good obviously.) I still maintain that there is a fundamental difference in Bernie being called out for him saying Castro had literacy programs and Biden being proud to opposing Bussing in modern day. But yeah.
Bruh. Bernie was against busing.

Status
Not open for further replies.