• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah. We'll see what happens in November but a lot of the left, those of us who genuinely care about making things better and not trying to return to the politics of a decade ago, are going to sit this one out. This primary has been too nakedly a pushback against progressive change.

Moderate Dems about to fuck around and find out, nominating Biden. Better hope moderate Republicans in the Rust Belt are buying what they are selling.

No one with this attitude ACTUALLY gives a shit.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
the fuck are you on about. Just about all of Bernie's policies are already a thing where I live, in Canada. Fuck your country's complacency.
I've come to the conclusion that Biden supporters and moderate Democrats are comfortable the way it is now. All they want is to not have to hear Trump speak and make sure their stock markets are stable the keep them wealthy. Only then will they throw the scraps to the disenfranchised and we'll only slowly suffer instead of suffer quickly.

The only way this country will care about the disenfranchised is if they get pulled down to our level. Then they'll suddenly care.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. We'll see what happens in November but a lot of the left, those of us who genuinely care about making things better and not trying to return to the politics of a decade ago, are going to sit this one out.

Really, you genuinely care? What does sitting out do for the progressive cause and removing the politics of a decade ago?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Yes. lets fucking jump on the jew who got arrested during the civil rights movement. The jew who's been ideologically consistent his whole damn life. There is not a single politician with a better track record than Bernie.

The US doesn't deserve Bernie Sanders. Honestly. That would bring you to parity with the rest of the developed world. But oh no, can't have that. You need Joe Biden, the anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage clown who repeatedly has shown contempt for millennials.

The US deserves Trump at this point. You don't need republicans to sabotage M4A when democrats will do it for you. There are too many ideological idiots that needed a Trump administration to wake up to social issues and inequality. Guess what? The US didn't work for most people BEFORE Trump. Has Joe Biden even said anything about student loan forgiveness?

So many of you become complacent as soon as there's a democrat in the office. Be angry that you don't have M4A. Stay angry until you get it. Instead, what will happen if Joe becomes president is that many will refuse to criticize him because that would be "ammo" for republicans. Fuck that. Fight for a better world or fuck off.
This certainly escalated unnecessarily. Nobody is "jumping on the Jew." If you think that saying "Bernie Sanders also shared similar views as Joe Biden regarding busing and integration in the 70's" is an attack on Bernie (when funnily enough, you were the one to initiate that line of discussion), then I don't know what to tell you.

There's a difference between standing up, voicing your thoughts and hoping to bring about change compared to angrily attacking everyone, even those who largely agrees with your priorities but may disagree on its execution. One is helpful. I hope you can take a breath and realize which one it is.

EDIT: Wait, you're this angry about an election that you can't vote in and telling us who actually will be making the decision how blindly ignorant we are and how you already enjoy everything Bernie proposes in Canada. Wow, lol.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. We'll see what happens in November but a lot of the left, those of us who genuinely care about making things better and not trying to return to the politics of a decade ago, are going to sit this one out. This primary has been too nakedly a pushback against progressive change.

Moderate Dems about to fuck around and find out, nominating Biden. Better hope moderate Republicans in the Rust Belt are buying what they are selling.
You live in Maryland. Your vote is effectively irrelevant given the hard blue margins in the state, allowing you a zero-consequences vote.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Thousands of people are dying because of incompetent leadership and people have the gall to count themselves as genuine because they don't think it's worth voting for competent leadership. I've never been happier to be disingenuous. You know, the way we talk about coalition building has totally inverted this cycle.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden is "bad" because his platform isn't as progressive as what we could get away with if we retake the Senate. We could definitely push for a little more than what he's got planned.

Even that's debatable. Bernie doesn't support removing the filibuster and the previous week's have shown he doesn't do a good job courting Democrats. What turned out to be the biggest issue for the ACA were the 'Blue Dog Democrats.' Bernie would have the same issue getting them aboard. This is the case where Biden's relationships could result in a better outcome.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
Love the doublespeak.

We are the ones that really care, and we are going to sit this one out! That will show them to ignore us! We'll go away, that will do it!

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I'll still vote for Bernie in my state's primary, but come the general election my finger is coming down on the button next to the Dem nominee's name like a thunderbolt.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will support Biden. But clearly we have different priorities. I don't think we can rely on Joe Biden to have the same stance wrt Israel-Palestine as Bernie does. I don't think we can rely on him to not be as interventionist in South America or the Middle East. If Joe Biden's foreign policy is half as bad as Obama's - that's still several hundred people that will be killed in drone strikes or intentionally immiserated by sanctions. I don't like pretending like they're equal, because on the issues I really care about - they're really not at all. And John Kerry's recents comments as a surrogate for Biden, criticizing Bernie's support for "authoritarian dictators" in Latin American countries like "Morales", or lying about Joe Biden's support for the Iraq War is not convincing me that we care about the same things.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See I'm somewhat confused, I was told that Bernie voters are small and irrelevant and they didn't turn out anyway so fuck them. But also the entire election and the fate of humanity depends on these specific voters showing up in November and voting for Biden. But also we can't budge to the left at all or give any kind of concessions to Bernie voters because they lost and are irrelevant and too small of a voting bloc to care about anyway. But also we desperately need them to vote for Biden. He is entitled to their vote. But also nobody is entitled to your vote.

Uggggh does anybody have ibuprofen?

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Even that's debatable. Bernie doesn't support removing the filibuster and the previous week's have shown he doesn't do a good job courting Democrats. What turned out to be the biggest issue for the ACA were the 'Blue Dog Democrats.' Bernie would have the same issue getting them aboard. This is the case where Biden's relationships could result in a better outcome.

Hypothetically speaking I think Warren could work just as well getting Democrats on board, but would work better against the Republicans because she totally understands that they are insincere amoral garbage monsters.

I think that it may be possible to *push* Biden further than his platform plans if he can be shown that the support is there and it works. Because he said himself that if he got a M4A billed that worked, he'd sign it.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to the conclusion that Biden supporters and moderate Democrats are comfortable the way it is now. All they want is to not have to hear Trump speak and make sure their stock markets are stable the keep them wealthy. Only then will they throw the scraps to the disenfranchised and we'll only slowly suffer instead of suffer quickly.

The only way this country will care about the disenfranchised is if they get pulled down to our level. Then they'll suddenly care.

Do the many disenfranchised voters who seem to prefer Biden not count?

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

A lot of people are going to die unnecessarily because you have a narcissistic president who is currently badly fucking up the response to a global pandemic because he is utterly incapable of caring about anybody but himself or making decisions through any other lens apart from what is good for him, and only him, in the short term. Biden, for all his flaws, would be handling it much, much better.

I hope you and your understandably disappointed brethren take things like that into consideration when it comes to voting time in November, since you care so much about making things better.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See I'm somewhat confused, I was told that Bernie voters are small and irrelevant and they didn't turn out anyway so fuck them. But also the entire election and the fate of humanity depends on these specific voters showing up in November and voting for Biden. But also we can't budge to the left at all or give any kind of concessions to Bernie voters because they lost and are irrelevant and too small of a voting bloc to care about anyway. But also we desperately need them to vote for Biden. He is entitled to their vote. But also nobody is entitled to your vote.

Because clearly, electing Dems here in VA has done absolutely nothing good for you or me here in the state and it's just the same for us as when the GOP held a trifecta.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020

You don't need Ibuprofen to knock down the strawman you set up, go for it.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018

yeah, watching all this is frustrating. the enemy is irrelevant but need to be whipped into line type shit.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
This certainly escalated unnecessarily. Nobody is "jumping on the Jew." If you think that saying "Bernie Sanders also shared similar views as Joe Biden regarding busing and integration in the 70's" is an attack on Bernie (when funnily enough, you were the one to initiate that line of discussion), then I don't know what to tell you.

There's a difference between standing up, voicing your thoughts and hoping to bring about change compared to angrily attacking everyone, even those who largely agrees with your priorities but may disagree on its execution. One is helpful. I hope you can take a breath and realize which one it is.

EDIT: Wait, you're this angry about an election that you can't vote in and telling us who actually will be making the decision how blindly ignorant we are and how you already enjoy everything Bernie proposes in Canada. Wow, lol.

I'm ok with saying that the US population is ignorant and has made horrible decisions that have negatively impacted the world and killed it's own citizens.

Spend more time being angry about how the majority of you are in debt or dying of healthcare. That's not normal and don't treat it as such.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Who is holding all these beliefs concurrently?

We should work as hard as possible to hold Biden accountable and push him left. The party supports the progressive policies and that's why people shouldn't take their ball and go home, but work even harder to make sure the party reflects the desires of its constituency.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You live in Maryland. Your vote is effectively irrelevant given the hard blue margins in the state, allowing you a zero-consequences vote.

This is true. If I lived across the border in VA or particularly PA, it would be a harder choice. I think I still would just vote downticket though? Joe Biden's policies don't represent my beliefs and he hasn't earned my vote. I think on the left we need to be more discriminating moving forward, I've been saying this the last couple of years- don't assume you are entitled to our votes. You are going to have to work to earn them. Biden isn't going to do that. In addition, his record on race is disqualifying right out of the gate. His record on foreign policy is disqualifying, right out of the gate.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We should work as hard as possible to hold Biden accountable and push him left. The party supports the progressive policies and that's why people shouldn't take their ball and go home, but work even harder to make sure the party reflects the desires of its constituency.
We are already seeing, as was the case w/ Clinton, that many liberals are not actually okay with criticizing their candidate for any reason. Point out a deficiency in Biden's policies and the response is "it's better than Obama's!"

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

feel the quantum bern
twitch_emoticon___wutface_by_centaurman_plz_d8krjib-fullview.png

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Pretty accurate summary, sad to say.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017

What individual here has all these viewpoints? I'm honestly curious.

Ms. Virion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Hoosier Wasteland
I'm a disabled, unemployed trans woman who can't afford medical care, and who has to make a phone call to a lawyer next week to try and convince the company they represent not to take my Chromebook in small claims court to cover debt I can no longer pay.

I'm not comfortable. I'm not safe. I'm sure as hell not well off.

All or nothing voting actively harms me. It's not a righteous position, it's not an ethical stand, it's simply moralistic masturbation. Something you do for yourself that makes you feel good and helps no one else.

Biden wasn't my candidate. He was at the bottom of my list of people I'm okay with and I didn't want him to run at all, but he's going to be the nominee. That's just a fact. I can't afford to sit this one out, 4 more years of Trump will probably kill me.

I don't usually post because I have anxiety issues and honestly confrontation sends me into a panic, just typing this is making me freak out because of how heated this conversation has become - but I keep feeling like people are talking over my experience reading this thread. I'm marginalized. I'm asking for help. Please vote out Trump.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Because clearly, electing Dems here in VA has done absolutely nothing good for you or me here in the state and it's just the same for us as when the GOP held a trifecta.

I feel like what's going on in Virginia needs to be stickied in this thread or something. It (REALLY) helps that State Senates don't have 60% threshold filibusters but man its like every day they are signing some new awesome law. If that could be replicated at the Federal level that would be a massive improvement for the country. Or hell, even the bills the current House has already passed that are rotting in the GOP Senate. If all that shit could become law it would be like revolutionary. Legislation wise that's the Biden Presidency (assuming we also get the Senate). It's not everything a progressive would want but damn is it a lot of things any progressive could want.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is a little confusing. If Biden loses we will 100% get the blame, even though Biden won't move left. Party unity goes in only one direction, I'm afraid.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true. If I lived across the border in VA or particularly PA, it would be a harder choice. I think I still would just vote downticket though? Joe Biden's policies don't represent my beliefs and he hasn't earned my vote. I think on the left we need to be more discriminating moving forward, I've been saying this the last couple of years- don't assume you are entitled to our votes. You are going to have to work to earn them. Biden isn't going to do that. In addition, his record on race is disqualifying right out of the gate. His record on foreign policy is disqualifying, right out of the gate.
A political candidate is not an identity. Treating one as though a utilitarian choice is actually an identity is the exact opposite of how to best approach elections.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But this is what I'm getting at...Democrats get into office and possibly do the bare minimum on some issues (while ignoring others) and then when we complain or ask that they do more, they threaten to turn us over to the GOP. "Who else you gonna vote for, bud?"

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
electiblity
LOL you're more subtle than I would have been.

If these cods aren't privileged as fuck, I would just flat out call them Russian.
or they're from other anglosphere nations and need Americans to get their shit together.

you can see people's join date and history so idk where these accusations are coming from

the whole russian psy-op narrative is actually so insulting to dissenters, I would really encourage you to take this comment back

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
any dissent is just going to be russian psy ops huh.

oh boy

Rather Russian spy than for people to ACTUALLY be this self gratifying blowing their own crotch out of some selfish desire to not give a shit about others.

"i aIn't cOmPrOmIsInG My vAlUeS!" says guy with access to internet on a video game forum. Which video games are made from less than good working conditions

electiblity

or they're from other anglosphere nations and need Americans to get their shit together.

you can see people's join date and history so idk where these accusations are coming from

the whole russian psy-op narrative is actually so insulting to dissenters, I would really encourage you to take this comment back

If not Russian then privileged as fuck. And let's not act like that Europe has it together right now.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
But this is what I'm getting at...Democrats get into office and possibly do the bare minimum
You say when talking about Virginia of all places.

The only way you can consider what has happened there being "the bare minimum" is if your definition of bare minimum is "exactly what I want how I want it."

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017

Let's be realistic, Biden doesn't have to do crap for the progressive left once he's in office. Most of his time he'll sit be sitting in the office reversing all of the executive orders Trump put out. any other laws that are approved by congress are going to be trickle-down moderate safe laws that will a please the moderate voters but piss off the progressive voters.

I have a feeling Biden is going to be in office for the next four years, but I don't trust this president to Implement any Progressive laws in his four-year running. I also expect the Republicans to reGAIN house/Senate positions in 2022 and 2024 if there isn't any progress from the progressive left in the next two years.

Democrats need to be very careful in the next 4 years.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
electiblity

The poster came into the thread guns blazing looking for a fight. They wanted this type of reaction by insulting everyone that isn't a die hard Bernie fan even through his likely defeat.

"It's so depressing to see this many ideological cowards in one place. So many people believe in nothing it seems. They don't give a shit about poor people."

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What I'm trying to say is that you have the right to not vote for Biden. But don't act like you just performed something sacrificing or a grand gesture.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Rather Russian spy than for people to ACTUALLY be this self gratifying blowing their own crotch out of some selfish desire to not give a shit about others.

"i aIn't cOmPrOmIsInG My vAlUeS!" says guy with access to internet on a video game forum. Which video games are made from less than good working conditions

we live in a society, whoo.

if were going to do this at least let us be from somewhere more cool...no one really expects senegalese spies.

electiblity

worse because it ignores the proproganda being spread right here in the good ol USA. no need to cross seas for troll farms or other narrative pushers.

no winning out here lol.

Aug 12, 2019
Only if you have an incredibly Xenophobic perspective where you only look at a handful of very progressive western and northern European nations and compare the US to them while excluding most other nations.

If you look at it from a real global view the democratic party is extremely left.

I know that goes against the narrative being pushed by self proclaimed "true progressives". The reality is that Biden isn't even close to center right except for in Bernie Bro's imaginations.

Compared to the comparable developed nations in Europe, Biden is Center-Right, as are most of the platforms of the Democratic party because they fundamentally ascribe more value to Capitalism and the free market than genuinely left leaning politics ever would. We're the richest nation in the world and we're closer to a Russian oligarchy than we are to a Swedish democracy right now. The US should be compared to similar Western democracies and Western powers because that's the frame of reference for us as such a rich country.

But yes call me xenophobic because I make the relevant comparison and say America should be considerably more progressive than what the Democratic party mostly offers given its own supposed cultural values and absolutely insane wealth in comparison to considerably more progressive countries that actually do something for the everyday citizens of their country with that wealth instead of building an utterly pointless military industrial complex to secure oil and bomb anyone who threatens them, and say that "If you take the average of left to right wing existence across the world, the US is actually very far left" while not realizing how much of an absolutely awful condemnation of how far the world has slipped into increasingly right wing lunacy and authoritarian tendencies. The left has largely not been allowed to exist globally for some time and we're only really seeing it come back into focus after people started to become disillusioned with the neo-liberal status quo.

The Democratic party has never been a legitimately leftist party at any point in history. It's left leaning relative to other parties, but has never been a leftist party except for in the moth scathing of Fox News propaganda pieces. Progressive at times? Absolutely. But genuinely left? Absolutely fucking not.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be realistic, Biden doesn't have to do crap for the progressive left once he's in office. Most of his time he'll sit be sitting in the office reversing all of the executive orders Trump put out. any other laws that are proved are going to be trickle-down moderate laws that will a please the moderate voters but piss off the progressive voters.

I have a feeling Biden is going to be in office for the next four years, but I don't trust this president to Implement any Progressive laws in his four-year running.
I disagree that Biden wouldn't be willing to sign off on progressive legislation. Congress crafts the policy, and I don't really buy that Biden will want to fight his own party on crafting policy that is popular with the voterbase. The polling shows that people are ready for change and not just 4 more years of no progress. It's on us to push our legislators to craft that policy. If Democrats take back the senate, progressives like Bernie and Warren will hold quite a bit of power in ensuring the policy is held to a higher standard. Was Biden in my top 3 of choices this primary? No, but we still have an opportunity to enact needed change by removing a Republican president and majority Senate from the equation.

Feel free to mock me in 2-4 years if Biden vetoes m4a, free college, etc.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
"You don't care about poor people with your incremental improvements! Not like me who will sit here and try to ensure poor people get nothing at all but worse off until I can be assured that I get everything on my list of demands."

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree that Biden wouldn't be willing to sign off on progressive legislation. Congress crafts the policy, and I don't really buy that Biden will want to fight his own party on crafting policy that is popular with the voterbase. The polling shows that people are ready for change and not just 4 more years of no progress. It's on us to push our legislators to craft that policy. If Democrats take back the senate, progressives like Bernie and Warren will hold quite a bit of power in ensuring the policy is held to a higher standard. Was Biden in my top 3 of choices this primary? No, but we still have an opportunity to enact needed change by removing a Republican president and majority Senate from the equation.
in fairness to that poster, Biden just the other day said he'd veto M4A if it passed both houses. That's a pretty strong signal that he's serious about being anti-progressive policies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should work as hard as possible to hold Biden accountable and push him left.

But how do we hold him accountable?

The only way to hold a politician accountable is to threaten to withhold your vote (well, unless you subscribe to...other ideologies).

To be clear: I'm going to vote for Biden. But it's solely a harm-reduction method, and it is being done under duress. The Democratic Party holds everyone in this country hostage by doing jack-shit to help working-class people in this country or elsewhere and then threatening to turn us over to fascists if we don't constantly do as they say.

You guys demand that we "vote blue no matter who." So we do. Then when the Blue Team gets into office, we criticize them and demand accountability. They do absolutely nothing. After years of doing nothing, they get blown out in a midterm or general and we get blamed for it, for some reason. We didn't fight hard enough, we criticized them too much, we demanded too much "purity" because we asked Obama not to drop a bomb on a school or lock a family in a cage for crossing the border.

We are smugly informed that if we want to affect real change, we should go nominate and vote for candidates who support those values. But then the national party apparatus and the corporate media, the most powerful propaganda apparatus in human history, fights back against us every single step of the way to ensure our candidates can't win. And then when they lose, we're smugly informed that it was because we just didn't fight hard enough, so get back in line and vote for whatever corporate stooge we've annointed.

After decades of this happening, eventually some people start to realize that there is one weapon they have that seems to get these people scared: threatening not to vote at all. Like a worker going on strike, we start to question whether causing some short-term damage might cause long-term benefit by reminding our overlords that they only succeed because we let them succeed.

A vote for Biden, from myself and others, is solely done to reduce harm here in the short-term. If Biden wins, we are going to be loud and angry and make sure that you people remember what it is that we asked for and you haven't given us. We'll see if he listens. And if he doesn't, we'll be right back here in 2024 having the same conversation, where some of us will be forced to once again make this same choice.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
in fairness to that poster, Biden just the other day said he'd veto M4A if it passed both houses. That's a pretty strong signal that he's serious about being anti-progressive policies.
Oh, I totally understand the concern, but I just believe when push comes to shove, he won't shred policy that's sent to his table by his party.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't think you'd have to worry about a M4A bill hitting the president's desk during his term, anyway. It likely wouldn't get the nod from enough Dems, much less GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.