• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Biden isn't the status quo. This took less than a minute of searching:

joebiden.com

Joe Biden for President: Official Campaign Website

We are in a battle for the soul of this nation. Join our campaign to elect Joe Biden for President of the United States.
My issue with Biden is I just don't trust him at all. I'm sure if you looked at the platform Obama had proposed and compare it to what he actually accomplished, what he actually accomplished would be a very small percentage of what he proposed.

And for me probably the biggest issue is climate change. Joe's plan set's a goal of 100% clean energy by 2050. Not only is the far too fucking late, but how the fuck is he going to ensure that a 30 year plan isn't somehow undermined when he will be President for 8 years at most?

Truth is, Biden is a corporate ghoul just like most other democrats and he's going to drag his feet to do the bare fucking minimum to solve the problems facing our country.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This entire election changed in the course of a week from polling that showed Biden dramatically had zero path to the nomination and we still haven't even gotten through half the contests yet, let Democracy actually happen because the only thing that shows "This is not mathematically possible" are the same volatile polls that could be rocked.

I don't think Bernie has a chance left at this point and he knows it, but this Primary has been insane for how much has kept shifting around, so it doesn't hurt to let this play out another week.
Look at my last two posts. The math here has nothing to do with polling, it has to do with the actual results we have so far.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with Biden is I just don't trust him at all. I'm sure if you looked at the platform Obama had proposed and compare it to what he actually accomplished, what he actually accomplished would be a very small percentage of what he proposed.

And for me probably the biggest issue is climate change. Joe's plan set's a goal of 100% clean energy by 2050. Not only is the far too fucking late, but how the fuck is he going to ensure that a 30 year plan isn't somehow undermined when he will be President for 8 years at most?

Truth is, Biden is a corporate ghoul just like most other democrats and he's going to drag his feet to do the bare fucking minimum to solve the problems facing our country.

Did you expect Sanders would solve climate change in 4-8 years?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look I know we're currently in a surreal Trump presidency, but even amending that to "business as usual" level of establishment politics is not really a proper chnage.

You literally argued his policies were that nothing would change. That's what status quo means. Stop saying it. If you want to criticize his plans for not going far enough left, fine. But don't lie about it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, I'm not interested in debating what is well-documented and clearly traceable in terms of when and how the party faltered, adopted neoliberal ideologies, swung towards corporate interests all the while supporting and implementing criminal foreign policy.

The very fact that you're trying to browbeat me with party propaganda despite my vocal support for Biden come the General speaks volumes as to your own bullish tribal fealty and ill-informed position on issues that are fundamental and crucial to the progressive platform.(Hint: Progressives tend to be driven by humanitarian concerns over party politics and cheap pragmatism masking cynicism and apathy)

I've been dealing with faux-liberals for a very long time and I find them altogether insubstantial. Wealth for the upper tier of our stratified society has grown rapidly under our Democratic presidents and the income gap under Obama reached Great Depression levels of Gilded Age, Dickensian lunacy.

In the last election cycle Hillary - a relentless corporate shill who deigned to declare herself a champion of the middle class despite once sitting on the board of Wal-Mart - called M4A pie-in-the-sky. Fast-forward to our current time when Democrats have cherry-picked Sander's proposals and even adopted many of those positions fully, which is a tacit endorsement of his ideology even while attempting to villify him as you're unfortunately trying to do now.

The thing is, this isn't even about Sanders. I would have been equally happy had Warren surged and taken the nomination.

What this is really about is tribalism and how a monolithic group of supposedly liberal people don't like being reminded how very much full of shit their party actually is.

FYI, you don't get to occupy the high ground when you sell out the working class to the HMO's, allow fossil fuel companies to continue raping the environment, and blow Muslim civilians to smithereens. In this very thread (and others) on this supposedly progressive forum, I've seen people defend Bloomberg - a sexual harasser and overt racist - for the sake of political expediency.

So here's the final score: feel free to make Bernie and people like me who have serious problems with the Democratic Party (of which I am a registered member) the villains. We're used to it and frankly, no amount of scapegoating or deflection is going to make us quit striving towards a better society. This isn't about personalities or tribal politics but rather about what's right and the sooner establishment Dems get that through their heads, the sooner we can at least negotiate and work together in good faith.

And if it makes you feel any better, take comfort in the fact that our political duopoly – which constricts those of us who question the moral integrity of both parties – forces most progressives to vote D all the way down the ballot and I'm certainly no exception in that regard.

And that's really all I have to say about the end of Bernie's progressive run.

Let the Biden celebration continue.

this is a great post

anyone who thinks "it's because racism!" suffices as an explanation for the Democratic Party's failings over the past ~40 years should give A Brief History of Neoliberalism a read

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wonder if Bernie is going to try & stay in as long as possible, maybe more than 1 more debate with Biden.
It's probably not healthy to be honest & is going to make unity more difficult, not sure what progressives are doing in this primary, with Warren being a spoiler for Sanders & Sanders continuing the infighting.

Oct 31, 2017
Look at my last response to you.

The delegate difference at this point hides the actual problem here. For Bernie to win, the people in the remaining states would have to vote completely differently than their demographic peers in the previous states. And that's just not going to happen. The states aren't that different.

It would be different if the state results we actually close, if Biden and Bernie were going tit for tat, one takes a state here the other there. In that case smaller shifts could have larger effects. But that's not happening. Biden is winning the vast majority of contests, and by very comfortable margins. Proportional delegate allocation keeps the total number closer than the actual realities of the results.

What I'm saying is Biden will only look stronger and unequivocally a winner by sweeping most, if not all, of the remaining contests this month. There's not much argument supporters could make at that point, and he'll look stronger by actually winning 1 on 1 against Sanders.

Aug 12, 2019
Also, I love that people are like, "Trump won't go in on Biden because it reveals his weaknesses..." Have we learned absolutely nothing about Trump these past few years? It doesn't matter that he sounds like a hypocrite or reveals his own flaws. His base will stick to him, he will throw people under the bus as often as possible to make himself look better and deflect criticism, and he lives to strike at people for their own weaknesses because what's left of his brain happens to be specifically as good as that. This is going to be the war of attrition to which side can survive the longest while minimizing the other side's voter turnout. Trump loves to make things ugly and indigestible for the American people so that they tune out. And while certainly a large cohort has been activated against that very tendency, it's still one of his main skills as the mouthpiece to the GOP's current incarnation.

And we're going to hear the next 8 months of Biden's record on repeat. That's something we need to prepare for now and Trump is absolutely going to 100% run to the left of Biden on things like Social Security and Medicare because he has to. Trump isn't some amazing 4D chess master and he's shit at debates, but he's good at two things: 1. Poking the bear until the bear gets riled up and makes its own mistakes; and 2. Running disinformation campaigns in a blitz of lies that turns people off from the election and the whole process.

We'll see how Biden fares against all of that, but, again, let's not forget how the GOP plays.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listen, I'm not interested in debating what is well-documented and clearly traceable in terms of when and how the party faltered, adopted neoliberal ideologies, swung towards corporate interests all the while supporting and implementing criminal foreign policy.

The very fact that you're trying to browbeat me with party propaganda despite my vocal support for Biden come the General speaks volumes as to your own bullish tribal fealty and ill-informed position on issues that are fundamental and crucial to the progressive platform.(Hint: Progressives tend to be driven by humanitarian concerns over party politics and cheap pragmatism masking cynicism and apathy)

I've been dealing with faux-liberals for a very long time and I find them altogether insubstantial. Wealth for the upper tier of our stratified society has grown rapidly under our Democratic presidents and the income gap under Obama reached Great Depression levels of Gilded Age, Dickensian lunacy.

In the last election cycle Hillary - a relentless corporate shill who deigned to declare herself a champion of the middle class despite once sitting on the board of Wal-Mart - called M4A pie-in-the-sky. Fast-forward to our current time when Democrats have cherry-picked Sander's proposals and even adopted many of those positions fully, which is a tacit endorsement of his ideology even while attempting to villify him as you're unfortunately trying to do now.

The thing is, this isn't even about Sanders. I would have been equally happy had Warren surged and taken the nomination.

What this is really about is tribalism and how a monolithic group of supposedly liberal people don't like being reminded how very much full of shit their party actually is.

FYI, you don't get to occupy the high ground when you sell out the working class to the HMO's, allow fossil fuel companies to continue raping the environment, and blow Muslim civilians to smithereens. In this very thread (and others) on this supposedly progressive forum, I've seen people defend Bloomberg - a sexual harasser and overt racist - for the sake of political expediency.

So here's the final score: feel free to make Bernie and people like me who have serious problems with the Democratic Party (of which I am a registered member) the villains. We're used to it and frankly, no amount of scapegoating or deflection is going to make us quit striving towards a better society. This isn't about personalities or tribal politics but rather about what's right and the sooner establishment Dems get that through their heads, the sooner we can at least negotiate and work together in good faith.

And if it makes you feel any better, take comfort in the fact that our political duopoly – which constricts those of us who question the moral integrity of both parties – forces most progressives to vote D all the way down the ballot and I'm certainly no exception in that regard.

And that's really all I have to say about the end of Bernie's progressive run.

Let the Biden celebration continue.

Damn bro you can't just murder people on the forum like that

But this is a good post

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
I mean, our timeline is we need to be at zero carbon emissions by 2030. If we can't drastically transform our economy in the next 10 years we are fucked, and Sanders plan was to invest a massive amount of money to do just that. Whether or not he could have done that, I don't know. But at least his plan was in line with what scientists are saying. Any goal that sets a date beyond 2030 is quite frankly unacceptable and insufficient. We're basically destroying the planet because of fucking profits. My wife and I have decided to forego having kids because of this shit man, it's depressing.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Bernie is going to try & stay in as long as possible, maybe more than 1 more debate with Biden.
It's probably not healthy to be honest & is going to make unity more difficult, not sure what progressives are doing in this primary, with Warren being a spoiler for Sanders & Sanders continuing the infighting.

Warren has not been a spoiler for Sanders. Surveys proved how much of her support actually went to Biden. Like so many things in this primary, that narrative is an illusion.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ok fine. Let's go with Establishment-with big corporate interest-Politics (but eeeever so slightly) nudged more left for window dressing.

This is nothing to feel good about or accept as is.

I'm genuinely surprised we didn't have a screenshot of "status quo" from Dictionary.com posted on this page, tbh. Can't wait for more "Well, actually" posts that don't actually address anything.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
What I'm saying is Biden will only look stronger and unequivocally a winner by sweeping most, if not all, of the remaining contests this month. There's not much argument supporters could make at that point, and he'll look stronger by actually winning 1 on 1 against Sanders.
I mean, if you argument is entirely about the optics of the primary, ok maybe.

But the data is pretty definitive from a mathematical and demographic standpoint.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok fine. Let's go with Establishment-with big corporate interest-Politics (but eeeever so slightly) nudged more left for window dressing.

His policy platform is not slightly left. The dem platform is further left than it's ever been and he personally is to the left of even that. If your position requires disingenuous or uninformed attempts to diminish opposition it's not a good position.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Considering that many of his policies are also left of the party platform, that's not very accurate either, but at least it's not demonstrably the wrong term to use.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Warren has not been a spoiler for Sanders. Surveys proved how much of her support actually went to Biden. Like so many things in this primary, that narrative is an illusion.
If she endorsed Sanders instead of going on SNL, i think Sanders would be a slightly less bad position, not saying he would be the front runner though.

Oct 25, 2017
Best buckle up, we are going to have to listen to 9 months of people propping up Uncle Joe and finger wagging those against him/what he represents.

I'm seriously shocked at how happily some are rounding up his glaring deficiencies. Like I'm not even saying vote-Trump/3rd party or sit out GE.

Can we at least be critical and hold the dude accountable if we're gonna be stuck with the tool for 4 years?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm seriously shocked at how happily some are rounding up his glaring deficiencies. Like I'm not even saying vote-Trump/3rd party or sit out GE.

Can we at least be critical and hold the dude accountable if we're gonna be stuck with the tool for 4 years?
This is probably the thing I like about these threads the last.

Look, all of us are voting blue in November. But come on, there's plenty wrong with Joe. Two weeks ago he was a punching bag in every page. Just because we justifiably hate on him doesn't mean Trump gets a vote.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
this is a great post

anyone who thinks "it's because racism!" suffices as an explanation for the Democratic Party's failings over the past ~40 years should give A Brief History of Neoliberalism a read

It's an extremely thorough and complex explanation that dovetails with all the data and explains the current compositions of both parties extremely well.

Class politics that doesn't incorporate the very fundamental racial component is simply insufficient.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not he could have done that, I don't know.

How is that not a critical facet of this? Why do you dismiss the idea that Bernie's plan, likely being impossible to pass, ends up looking exactly like whatever plan is possible under Biden? People are weighing that against ability to get elected and win the senate. Biden wins on those metrics and painting people who think this as not caring about climate change is ridiculous.

Aug 12, 2019
Look at my last two posts. The math here has nothing to do with polling, it has to do with the actual results we have so far.

There are currently 1736 delegates declared with Biden at 860 and Bernie at 710. It's basically impossible for Bernie to overcome that deficit, but we haven't even assigned half the total delegates in the US yet, so the "true, purely factual data" in regards to delegates is that it's not over. It's the polls that indicate that Bernie has no chance and that's totally valid to say he has no path left... but the actual purely empirical data of delegates does not communicate that reality because it simply isn't there yet.

To be exceedingly clear, I'm not saying Bernie has a chance because he almost certainly does not unless Biden hard collapses (Which I don't expect to happen either), but you can't really point responsibly to the current delegate math as indicative of that fact yet.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Unity is a 2-way street. If Joe and his supporters basically just want to tell the left "fuck you we won, now fall in line" then that's the opposite of unity. If ya'll want unity, you need to do that thing called compromise that is so important when it comes to Republicans. Prove to leftists that you're willing to move further to the left and maybe they won't stay home during the General.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
There are currently 1736 delegates declared with Biden at 860 and Bernie at 710. It's basically impossible for Bernie to overcome that deficit, but we haven't even assigned half the total delegates in the US yet, so the "true, purely factual data" in regards to delegates is that it's not over. It's the polls that indicate that Bernie has no chance and that's totally valid to say he has no path left... but the actual purely empirical data of delegates does not communicate that reality because it simply isn't there yet.

To be exceedingly clear, I'm not saying Bernie has a chance because he almost certainly does not unless Biden hard collapses (Which I don't expect to happen either), but you can't really point responsibly to the current delegate math as indicative of that fact yet.

The top post of the Sanders subreddit is that Bernie is in striking distance of Biden... That sub is something else.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is a great post

I posted Osita N's piece again earlier.

It's about racism. The Dems moved right in response to losing massive swathes of WWC voters to the GOP. Not before.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unity is a 2-way street. If Joe and his supporters basically just want to tell the left "fuck you we won, now fall in line" then that's the opposite of unity. If ya'll want unity, you need to do that thing called compromise that is so important when it comes to Republicans. Prove to leftists that you're willing to move further to the left and maybe they won't stay home during the General.

Just yesterday Biden equated Sanders supporters to Trump supporters, so I wouldn't hold your breath on expecting his campaign to suddenly start focusing on working class issues. I hope he does, though.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I mean, our timeline is we need to be at zero carbon emissions by 2030. If we can't drastically transform our economy in the next 10 years we are fucked, and Sanders plan was to invest a massive amount of money to do just that. Whether or not he could have done that, I don't know. But at least his plan was in line with what scientists are saying. Any goal that sets a date beyond 2030 is quite frankly unacceptable and insufficient. We're basically destroying the planet because of fucking profits. My wife and I have decided to forego having kids because of this shit man, it's depressing.

2030 is not possible. Sanders could not have done it. I'm not trying to browbeat you or convince you. This is just the reality of where we are. As i've said before, politics will not get us out of this mess.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. Hold him accountable. This is what you should be doing. But don't deny reality because he's not AS progressive as we want. There was a time when Sanders pushed for some of the same things that Biden is pushing now, including threatening to filibuster the ACA if it didn't have a public option. It's fine to say that the policies aren't left enough for you. They're not left enough for me either. I'd prefer he not increase defense spending. I'd prefer he do more on climate change. I'd prefer he drop the pretext and legalize marijuana. But even if he doesn't so those things, his platform is still not only a vast improvement from Trump's, it's a marked improvement from the Democratic Party's platform.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

I addressed this. For Bernie to win, he would have to perform completely different demographic wise in the remaining states than he has in the previous ones.

No one has been able to tell my why that would happen. The voters in the remaining states aren't meaningfully different than the voters in the previous states. And Biden has only done better and better as the primary has gone on, because he's the clear leader and that's what happens.

Why would Bernie start blowing Biden out in states that are essentially the same in terms of demographics as states where Biden has crushed Bernie? I just don't know what situation would lead to that, and that's what would need to start happening.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, if you argument is entirely about the optics of the primary, ok maybe.

But the data is pretty definitive from a mathematical and demographic standpoint.

It is so far, and we may very well see the existing data proven accurate in the next couple of weeks in what are supposed to be very good states for Biden. That's why I don't see the harm in Biden definitively carrying Florida, Illinois, Ohio, Arizona and Georgia and showing he can easily beat Sanders 1 on 1 by defending his own record that'll surely come into scrutiny this general election (along with made up investigations Republicans try to launch).

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
If she endorsed Sanders instead of going on SNL, i think Sanders would be a slightly less bad position, not saying he would be the front runner though.

I'm sure it's comforting to Warren and her progressive supporters to blow all of their political capital and leverage so Bernie could be getting the brakes beat off him slightly less.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I addressed this. For Bernie to win, he would have to perform completely differently demographic wise in the remaining states as he has in the previous ones.

No one has been able to tell my why what would happen. The voters in the remaining states aren't meaningfully different than the voters in the previous states. And Biden has only done better and better as the primary has gone on, because he's the clear leader and that's what happens.
And polling has been really accurate this year

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Man we're really going for top 5 referrals again huh
source.gif

What president was more progressive than him? By almost any metric he is left on crime, climate, guns, healthcare, etc. than any other president.
none, he hasn't spent ONE DAY in office yet. You think he will enact more sweeping change than FDR?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, unity is a 2-way street. We have people on this very page saying they don't trust Biden to try to fulfill his policy positions, which are already the most progressive we've seen.

So pray tell, what exactly can Biden do to ensure that compromising on his policy positions will actually be heard by those who want them, and not simply dismissed as "I don't believe him."

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whether or not Sanders could make these major changes due to the system's limitations and obstruction is not the same issue as "will Biden stay focused on and work towards these progressive ideals and policy." Say what you want about Sanders but he's fucking relentless and focused on his agenda. We've also heard plenty of insinuating from Biden that his goal is just to return DC to "normalcy," whatever do-nothing bullshit that means.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

Indeed it is a two way street. Their lane on the street is much bigger however. You misunderstand the power dynamics at play. Republicans get 45 percent of the vote (and 65+ of the white male) off general principle. They have to be compromised with because their constituents are roughly half the country, therefore Republicans usually have half the power at a minimum.

Progressives do not have that same leverage.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
How is that not a critical facet of this? Why do you dismiss the idea that Bernie's plan, likely being impossible to pass, ends up looking exactly like whatever plan is possible under Biden? People are weighing that against ability to get elected and win the senate. Biden wins on those metrics and painting people who think this as not caring about climate change is ridiculous.
This is the embodiment of what I don't like about Democrats. They give up and concede before they even try. Let me put it this way - Biden winning the election in 2020 isn't going to mean fuck all when we don't have a planet to live on in 80 years. It's no surprise that the people least concerned with climate change are those who support Biden the most. At least boomers will be able to die in peace without Trump in office.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
After last night, Bernie would need to win 57% of all remaining delegates to win. That's landslide victories in every remaining state in order to win a majority of delegates.

This is why he gave the speech he did today. It's just not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.