• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
London
Why would the senate be more willing to pass massive reforms under Bernie than under Biden?

At least Bernie would push for that reform, instead of massively watering down the public option like Biden. Sadly, Dem voters didn't want a man who could push for genuine change, and we'll be here again asking for an actual decent healthcare system 4 years later. Being an outsider living in a country with universal healthcare, even though our government is shit too, I realize I am speaking from a position of immense privilege, but there are people in the US I care about and I want them to have better living standards.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
It's Laughable that some people here actually think that Bernie still has a chance. I like Bernie but it's over.
I2OTQPD.gif

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are underestimating how effective "you're full of shit" is as a campaign message against Trump, lol.

Oct 31, 2017
It says that Bernies 30% weren't budging. His ceiling is pitiful and I think Warren could have pushed past it. Once he decided to hop in I knew neither one had a chance. And it sucks. Progressives backed the worse progressive candidate.

Warren underperformed everywhere. For whatever reason, many Democrats really didn't dig her.

Which I still don't get, but Warren had little floor and very little ceiling despite everything she tried to do.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Biden is not entitled automatically to the rest of the state's voter's votes. You know that better than anyone else when you argued for the same thing with no one being entitled to Warren's voters.

Biden has yet to make a case for himself in a one-on-one setting. He is not entitled to anything, even if the current trends and results do strongly favor him. There is a general election after this which will be a much harsher environment to him.
I never said he was entitled to those votes. It's absolutely Bernie's right to continue on if he so chooses.

But that doesn't really change the reality of the situation. And now with the Coronavirus I actually do think there are compelling public health reasons to not drag this on further when the end result isn't really in doubt.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Again, if debating Bernie and campaigning against him "sows" division -- an accusation that's never leveled at others -- then he's not really a good candidate. Obama was able to get past the division and the racist Hillary voters and win handily.

He's not a great candidate.

And apparently, Bernie is even worse. So... Do you want to weaken the candidate that isn't particularly strong of coalesce the party to defeat the largest existential threat I've ever seen in my lifetime?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least Bernie would push for that reform, instead of massively watering down the public option like Biden. Sadly, Dem voters didn't want a man who could push for genuine change, and we'll be here again asking for an actual decent healthcare system 4 years later. Being an outsider living in a country with universal healthcare, even though our government is shit too, I realize I am speaking from a position of immense privilege, but there are people in the US I care about and I want them to have better living standards.

You didn't really answer the question. What gets accomplished? How are people without healthcare benefited by a guy who fights for better and compromises versus another guy who fights for better and compromises to the exact same place?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the idea that Joe surged due to his "amazing" debate performance is hilarious

he is literally referencing the 2% discrepancy in the exit polls in the Bolivian election in October. It's not provocative enough to make your point, so you're lying.
And I am referencing Boots buying into the conspiracy theory that US sanctions on Venezuela are what caused the current state of their country, and not mass cronyism in a corrupt government that hollowed out a petrostate's primary economic apparatus.

His point about exit polls is absolutely nonsensical in the context of the current primary.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Bernie should not drop before the debate and I'm glad he didn't. Joe does not automatically earn Bernie's votes and he needs to answer some of Bernie's completely legitimate questions and concerns if he wants our vote. I hope he does during the debate and I look forward to it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are underestimating how effective "you're full of shit" is as a campaign message against Trump, lol.
I was talking about this on Discord yesterday. This would never catch on like the deplorable thing because no one sane would wear a "I am full of shit" t-shirt because it is sucha universal meaning. Deplorable worked because a ) hillary was a woman and b) cause it sounded like some fancy west coast book learning

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie really needs to hit Biden hard in the debate about his past support for raising the Social Security age or cutting Medicare. Because he needs to be ready for these line of attacks from Trump in a one-on-one debate. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't do that Sunday.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Again, if debating Bernie and campaigning against him "sows" division -- an accusation that's never leveled at others -- then he's not really a good candidate. Obama was able to get past the division and the racist Hillary voters and win handily.
For like the third time in the last few pages, whenever one candidate has guaranteed victory in the primary, there are always calls for everyone else to drop out to begin the process of uniting the party.

Bernie is not getting anything put on him that every other losing candidate hasn't had before.
Any "division" from this is division that is not going away regardless of what happens.
This seems oddly fatalistic.

Oct 25, 2017
I think with the quieter, smaller scale of this debate, the candidates could use it to both contrast Bernie's difference from Biden's and where Bernie and Biden agree on progress over Trump. It could be a real come together moment if their egos allow it to happen.

Regardless of who's on the ticket at the end, I hope Bernie ethers Biden and highlights how lacking his policies are. We already know we have to beat Trump. I'm not interested in rounding up and sugar-coating Biden's mediocrity just cause of that fact. He still needs to be called out.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If Bernie's so bad that Biden will walk all over him as he did in Michigan, he has little to worry about.

From a Bernie insurgency to win the nomination? He has nothing to worry about at all.

At this point, the only question is: how hard will Bernie go at Biden now? Is there anything to gain from Bernie going all in... Or, should he hold back some punches and debate him on the merits of his policy ideas?

Are we going to see attack ads? Is Bernie still going to be raising money?

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
And I am referencing Boots buying into the conspiracy theory that US sanctions on Venezuela are what caused the current state of their country, and not mass cronyism in a corrupt government that hollowed out a petrostate's primary economic apparatus.

His point about exit polls is absolutely nonsensical in the context of the current primary.
his point was about US interference in foreign countries and the different standards we apply to our own elections, but you'd rather change the subject. I get it

Jun 20, 2019
From a Bernie insurgency to win the nomination? He has nothing to worry about at all.

At this point, the only question is: how hard will Bernie go at Biden now? Is there anything to gain from Bernie going all in... Or, should he hold back some punches and debate him on the merits of his policy ideas?

Bernie only talked about policy positions in the news conference. I doubt he'll bring up anything else. This is the guy who said "we're all sick and tired of hearing about Hillary's emails" in a 2016 debate.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
his point was about US interference in foreign countries and the different standards we apply to our own elections, but you'd rather change the subject. I get it

Its not like there were no options to choose from when it comes to US meddling with South American elections and goverments. For much less, like having a less neoliberal agenda.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about this on Discord yesterday. This would never catch on like the deplorable thing because no one sane would wear a "I am full of shit" t-shirt because it is sucha universal meaning. Deplorable worked because a ) hillary was a woman and b) cause it sounded like some fancy west coast book learning

It's also not widely dismissive. It'll never catch on as a negative. In fact, our politics has made it pretty normal discourse.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Meh, I thought Sanders was dropping today, but there's not much harm if he stays in another week. Provided he doesn't go negative and try and tear down the ultimate winner.

This next week will be consumed by coronavirus. If Biden gets the opportunity to showcase stable leadership, then nothing matters.
it was a very polite speech. He flat-out referred to Biden as his friend, I don't think it's going to get ugly when and if he loses.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Bernie is handling losing far better than he did in 2016. Even most of the Hillary people I follow on Twitter are fine with Sanders speech and the approach he laid out. (With a few exceptions but they're just crazy).

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Although your first line is chastising, you are right about my attention to politics, dear friend.
It wasn't meant that way. Just a statement of observation. Most folks don't follow politics closely. Even fewer folks have been engaged as long as I have relative to their age (the first election I followed closely was Clinton/Dole in '96 when I was 7 because my mom wanted me to be informed).

I get the negative sound bytes, but what about the positive ones? Or, is it just that the negative ones will always outweigh the positive? Which, I do think is probably true.
To put it differently, are you more likely to put more stock in someone's friend saying they're a great dude, or saying they're a piece of shit? And what if they said they were a piece of shit then later said they were a great dude when the guy is standing there?

Sanders and Biden are on the same side relative to Trump. Negative statements are far more believable coming from your ally than positive ones. Likewise, your enemy speaking well of you carries more weight than them speaking ill of you.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I have no fear of Bernie really getting negative. My only fear is of his staff. Briahna already retweeted something referencing mental decline. As long as he seals that shit up, awesome.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Recently people have generally been all for him.

He loses Super Tuesday and all the people that hate him just crawl out of the woodwork, seemingly incensed that he won't drop out, bringing up 2016 and whatever else they can to try and dump on him.

It's just sad, this thread is so damn toxic.

Why is it toxic to dump on Bernie when this thread has been nothing but dumping on candidates for months?

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
If nothing else, I hope Bernie uses some pull to continue bring the party to the left. That being said, I hope he swallows his pride and marshals his supporters squarely behind Biden because we really cannot afford any fucking around this time

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I have no fear of Bernie really getting negative. My only fear is of his staff. Briahna already retweeted something referencing mental decline. As long as he seals that shit up, awesome.

This is getting close to to "muzzling your angry Nina Turner" territory that a Buttigeg-staffer had to apologize for a few months ago...
Its a retweet over a valid concern, ffs.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie really needs to hit Biden hard in the debate about his past support for raising the Social Security age or cutting Medicare. Because he needs to be ready for these line of attacks from Trump in a one-on-one debate. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't do that Sunday.
That is a valid vector to come at Biden from that isn't just lashing out.

Oct 31, 2017
For like the third time in the last few pages, whenever one candidate has guaranteed victory in the primary, there are always calls for everyone else to drop out to begin the process of uniting the party.

Bernie is not getting anything put on him that every other losing candidate hasn't had before.

Just because the point is made doesn't mean people have to agree with it. Biden isn't guaranteed victory until he actually wins, which is why both Hillary and Sanders stayed until the end in 2008 and 2016, respectively.

When Bernie was leading and other Democrats were propping up an uninspired Biden campaign and Biden was nearly declared dead, the thought process wasn't that others needed to drop so we could get on with the general.

We're literally putting a guy up against Trump who can effectively be beaten down about cutting entitlements, and we're okay with him not being tested on it like Sanders was with M4A. Biden literally has zilch to worry about if he sleepwalks into next Tuesday with an overwhelming win again and just notches win after win.

Biden has quite a bit of baggage and bad votes that he hasn't talked about. Trump has said he would consider cutting social security/Medicare. Only one of the main two candidates in the Dem race hasn't said that, and it would be a powerful distinction. Biden had no problem going hard after Bernie's M4A plan; I think Biden needs to be prepared when his statements about Social Security and Medicare come up in a general election debate.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
He undermined his own point by showing how he doesn't know how exit polls work. They are literally just asking random people who voted who they voted for. That premise stands on 1) people wanting to talk to you, and 2) people willing to tell you the truth. Just a little of bit of critical thinking would tell you why they might not max up one to one with actual votes

Status
Not open for further replies.