• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Weird how people want Bernie to drop out so badly when neither he nor Biden are near the needed delegate threshold. Sounds like many don't want a primary election for whatever reason. Really upsetting.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden has a few good debates. He's not a bumbling fool. His SC debate performance started this whole consolidation!

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean Biden literally doesn't have the delegates yet, so yes there is hope. Do I think Bernie can win? no, not really. But if Sanders is able to "hurt" Biden in such a way that it hurts us in the general, then that just means Biden is weak and that Trump would have been able to do the same amount of damage to Biden anyways. I don't get the logic of treating Biden with kids gloves. The whole point of a primary is to vet candidates and determine which one would be best in the general.
Yes, and that process has happened. Biden won. There is no reasonable chance for Bernie to get a plurality, let alone a majority, of delegates.

It's Bernie's right to continue on, but that doesn't mean we can't think it's a bad and fruitless idea with no real upside.

If he wants to use the debate to further push his policies, fine. But going hard under a mistaken belief he might win as a result benefits no one.

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I think Bernie can be proud of what he's done though, despite not winning. There's been a definite shift in the conversation and I think he got a lot of people engaged. Not enough to win across the United States but enough to start something. I think his influence will be felt for a long time through the people following in his footsteps.
Why should he be proud? Isn't he doing substantially worse than 4 years ago?

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think that was a positive example?
If Bernie or Trump did the same thing, MSNBC would not shut up (rightfully!) about it for WEEKS.
Telling a female staffer to shush twice, swearing at a constituent? "I am not working for you?".

He was right on the issue, but the way he gets irritated at even the slightest hint of people holding him accountable for his views, asking for clarificiation is unacceptable.

And if Bernie had done it, you people would be cheering him on instead of pretending to care about a gun nut's feelings, and you would be right to do so. "Swearing at a constituent," oh the horror. The guy was a Republican gun nut, not a part of Joe's constituency. I agree that the shushing was shitty.

You have at least 2 or 3 other outbursts that show that Joe is an easily pissed-off asshole who can't take honest criticism for shit, but putting an authentic call-out of a conservative liar on the same level as those other incidents just to score some points on him is pathetic and only serves to cheapen a very valid argument about how Joe sucks. Fuck Republicans, the world would be a better place if more people were willing to call out their lies so strongly. Hell, Joe would be a much better president than I ever thought possible if he starts treating Republican politicians the same way instead of deluding himself into thinking they're his friends.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm a hardcore progressive and even I see now that it's over. No need to ruin the chance of defeating Trump by exposing the dude who was chosen to face him.

I just hope that if Biden loses people finally realize running the same game, only with a man isn't a winning strategy. We basically saying! Here is Hillary Clinton only this time it's a old dude! So your woman hating ways should no longer apply!

If Biden loses it'll be because he sucks, not because someone pointed out that he sucks. We can't just hide him, pretend it's all good, and pray no one notices.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
The double-gaslight-nuke sandwich.

Yeah...good to see I'm not going crazy over here.

I think Bernie can be proud of what he's done though, despite not winning. There's been a definite shift in the conversation and I think he got a lot of people engaged. Not enough to win across the United States but enough to start something. I think his influence will be felt for a long time through the people following in his footsteps.

I think more people are going to be turned off due to all this but we'll see.

I want to be wrong.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Can't believe it's 2020 and the leading Democratic candidate doesn't support weed legalization. Absolutely bonkers.

If Biden wants to get young people to turn out for him, that'd be a good start.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, though. Biden hasn't performed well in the debates. He was far from frontrunner for most of the primary once voting actually started. Has he ACTUALLY campaigned better than Bernie? Bernie isn't perfect, but it seems as though Biden's campaign wasn't hot shit until AFTER the moderates dropped out and tossed their hats in with him just in time for Super Tuesday. That, coupled with the base's fear of another 4 years of Trump and seemingly thinking Biden is the "safe" candidate.

All lends not to Biden actually putting in the quality work to campaign and debate and make the argument, for himself, that he is the best candidate for the job.

Look, if Biden is the nom (which it looks like he will be) I'll be voting for him 100%. I'm not a Bernie or Buster, never have been, and I think that is a terrible stance to take as a voter if you are. But I defintiely do not think Biden actually campaigned or debated better than Bernie to get here. So let Bernie stay in and debate him.

If Bernie wrecks him in the debate, maybe Biden ISN'T the strongest candidate to take on Trump in 2020 afterall.
I'm sorry you wrote all that out when I don't believe that Biden is the strongest candidate to take on Trump in 2020 nor do I believe he ran a good campaign, nor do I think he's been a good debater, nor am I saying that Bernie staying in for the next debate is necessarily an evil thing. I'm saying if Biden completely melts down on stage (won't happen) it won't help Bernie win the primary. I think Bernie knows that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's going on? Legit question, I'm reading so much stuff

This is Boots' incredibly shitty tankie-adjacent foreign policy views on Maduro/Venezuela actually being the US's fault coming home to roost domestically, unfortunately. The idea that anything but a gigantic nationwide rout of Bernie in the election is happening is conspiracy theory nonsense.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Weird how people want Bernie to drop out so badly when neither he nor Biden are near the needed delegate threshold. Sounds like many don't want a primary election for whatever reason. Really upsetting.
As a Bernie fan since the start of these threads, the math and momentum don't look good for Bernie. It's over. I am not sure what he can gain by saying in terms of influencing Biden but aside from the 1v1 debate soon, IDK why he'd stay.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry you wrote all that out when I don't believe that Biden is the strongest candidate to take on Trump in 2020 nor do I believe he ran a good campaign, nor do I think he's been a good debater, nor am I saying that Bernie staying in for the next debate is necessarily an evil thing. I'm saying if Biden completely melts down on stage (won't happen) it won't help Bernie win the primary. I think Bernie knows that.

Oh I didn't think you did, I just used your post as a jumping off point and agreeing with you that Biden has not done a great job of campaigning or debating thus far. Apologies for the miscommunication.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think with the quieter, smaller scale of this debate, the candidates could use it to both contrast Bernie's difference from Biden's and where Bernie and Biden agree on progress over Trump. It could be a real come together moment if their egos allow it to happen.

Oct 31, 2017
...but Bernie has no hope at this point. He's not going to win.

So trying to hurt Biden in such a way now only serves to harm us for the general.

To borrow a line from some here:

If he can't handle Bernie, how's he going to handle the Republican machine this fall? Because Bernie will use kid gloves in comparison to what Trump is going to do.

Oct 27, 2017
It's because a lot of us actually agree with Bernie, but recognize he is a bad politician that can't move the needle past his shrinking base. And it's frustrating to see folks not admit that he fucked up. His strategy was bad. He never should have run. Warren should have been THE progressive in this race.
This is it fam.

I got raked through the coals for supporting Warren and questioning Bernie long before voting in the primaries ever begun.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
This is Boots' incredibly shitty tankie-adjacent foreign policy views on Maduro/Venezuela actually being the US's fault coming home to roost domestically, unfortunately. The idea that anything but a gigantic nationwide rout of Bernie in the election is happening is conspiracy theory nonsense.
It was about Bolivia but you know that Kirb :)

Where are all the people defending a brokered convention when Bernie was the perceived frontrunner? Does Joe now believe that the person who gets the most votes should be the nominee? I'm glad if he had this noble change of heart.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
And if Bernie had done it, you people would be cheering him on instead of pretending to care about a gun nut's feelings, and you would be right to do so. "Swearing at a constituent," oh the horror. The guy was a Republican gun nut, not a part of Joe's constituency. I agree that the shushing was shitty.

You have at least 2 or 3 other outbursts that show that Joe is an easily pissed-off asshole who can't take honest criticism for shit, but putting an authentic call-out of a conservative liar on the same level as those other incidents just to score some points on him is pathetic and only serves to cheapen a very valid argument about how Joe sucks. Fuck Republicans, the world would be a better place if more people were willing to call out their lies so strongly. Hell, Joe would be a much better president than I ever thought possible if he starts treating Republican politicians the same way instead of deluding himself into thinking they're his friends.

Here is the difference: no, me and the rest of the Extended Bernie-Bro-Verse would not be cheering for him for doing something that is completely opposed to everything that he stands for.

And no, it does not matter how we group these outbursts together, because they reveal a pattern. It is indeed that Joe cant take criticism for shit. Fair or percieved unfair, because this question can be dismantled by one minute of normal speak.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Where are all the people defending a brokered convention when Bernie was the perceived frontrunner? Does Joe now believe that the person who gets the most votes should be the nominee? I'm glad if he had this noble change of heart.
No, this was about Maduro. This is from years back.

edit: your brokered convention argument makes absolutely no sense. Winning the convention is about winning a majority of delegates. Biden's on track to do that through winning elections alone.

Oct 31, 2017
It's because a lot of us actually agree with Bernie, but recognize he is a bad politician that can't move the needle past his shrinking base. And it's frustrating to see folks not admit that he fucked up. His strategy was bad. He never should have run. Warren should have been THE progressive in this race.

Warren was my number 2, but if Bernie's strategy was bad, he fucked up, he shouldn't have ran, he can't move the needle, then that says even less for Warren.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Can't believe it's 2020 and the leading Democratic candidate doesn't support weed legalization. Absolutely bonkers.

If Biden wants to get young people to turn out for him, that'd be a good start.
Lol Biden isn't changing. He was asked point blank on a news show if a M4A bill made it to his desk would he sign it. Instead of blowing it off or saying he won't answer hypotheticals he looked annoyed and said by some miracle if it made it to my desk I'd look at it but I'm not signing anything that destroys my budget. Dude gives zero fuecks about any progressive idea. Hell he had a million times to speak on weed and keeps saying we need "a thorough scientific investigation first". What kind of a shit answer is that? Sounds like shit a conservative may say, not the democratic nominee for president.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the laugh. Biden has barely campaigned and as soon as he has clinched the Dem nomination the media will turn on him. Don't say we didn't warn you

Okay?

Bernie didn't win. He lost, legitimately, and by quite a large margin.

You would have a point if Bernie were in the lead, but well... He's not. And it was his primary to win.

It's not a matter of "handling" Bernie, it's about using this time to come together as a party, rather than sow further division.

I have no issue if Bernie wants to stay in for a few more weeks, and to debate Biden on where the future of the party should go. That's healthy for the party.

However, if he starts releasing attack ads or going after Biden hard in their debate... Well. That really shows his true colors.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When did Joe say otherwise?

And that was when there was a chance someone might not get a majority. That chance is gone now so contested convention isn't even a thing anymore.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Then you, dear friend, haven't been watching this game for too long.

Every attack in the primary is a potential vector of attack for your opponent in the general.

Those quotes and soundbites are forever and will be weaponized.

Like I said, sticking around to push policy is one thing, a positive one. Sticking around to lash out is an entirely different thing.
Although your first line is chastising, you are right about my attention to politics, dear friend. Living in a deep as hell red state and having few friends and no family members actively engaged in politics will do that to ya. Really the first time I've actively engaged in politics.

I get the negative sound bytes, but what about the positive ones? Or, is it just that the negative ones will always outweigh the positive? Which, I do think is probably true.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
It worked for Bernie!
Hey, more young people would turn out for a Bernie v Trump election than a Biden v Trump election. The numbers wouldn't be great either way cuz we suck, but considering how close 2016 was, every vote matters.

Could also win over some dudebro libertarian types.
Technically Biden's for decriminalization. Which is a step.
I guess, but 2/3rds of Americans support weed legalization. You almost never get that kind of consensus in this country. It literally makes no sense for Biden not to support it unless he has a personal vendetta against weed or he's trying to protect pharmaceutical interests or something.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

There isn't going to be one because Biden is going to get an actual majority of the votes.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Here is the difference: no, me and the rest of the Extended Bernie-Bro-Verse would not be cheering for him for doing something that is completely opposed to everything that he stands for.

And no, it does not matter how we group these outbursts together, because they reveal a pattern. It is indeed that Joe cant take criticism for shit. Fair or percieved unfair, because this question can be dismantled by one minute of normal speak.

You're right, Bernie is too pro-gun to ever get into that sort of altercation.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess, but 2/3rds of Americans support weed legalization. You almost never get that kind of consensus in this country. It literally makes no sense for Biden not to support it unless he has a personal vendetta against weed or he's trying to protect pharmaceutical interests or something.
He's kinda idiotic in that he believes that weed is a gateway drug and fully legalizing it is immoral.
Oh I didn't think you did, I just used your post as a jumping off point and agreeing with you that Biden has not done a great job of campaigning or debating thus far. Apologies for the miscommunication.
Gotcha.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Okay?

Bernie didn't win. He lost, legitimately, and by quite a large margin.

You would have a point if Bernie were in the lead, but well... He's not. And it was his primary to win.
the idea that Joe surged due to his "amazing" debate performance is hilarious

No, this was about Maduro. This is from years back.
he is literally referencing the 2% discrepancy in the exit polls in the Bolivian election in October. It's not provocative enough to make your point, so you're lying.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Yes, and that process has happened. Biden won. There is no reasonable chance for Bernie to get a plurality, let alone a majority, of delegates.

It's Bernie's right to continue on, but that doesn't mean we can't think it's a bad and fruitless idea with no real upside.

If he wants to use the debate to further push his policies, fine. But going hard under a mistakes belief he might win as a result benefits no one.

Biden is not entitled automatically to the rest of the state's voter's votes. You know that better than anyone else when you argued for the same thing with no one being entitled to Warren's voters.

Biden has yet to make a case for himself in a one-on-one setting. He is not entitled to anything, even if the current trends and results do strongly favor him. There is a general election after this which will be a much harsher environment to him.

You're right, Bernie is too pro-gun to ever get into that sort of altercation.

What the hell are you talking about. Bernie has the exact same gun plans as Biden: ban on semiautomatic weapons. Did anything change from this campaign's policies?

Oct 31, 2017
It's not a matter of "handling" Bernie, it's about using this time to come together as a party, rather than sow further division.

Again, if debating Bernie and campaigning against him "sows" division -- an accusation that's never leveled at others -- then he's not really a good candidate. Obama was able to get past the division and the racist Hillary voters and win handily.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Warren was my number 2, but if Bernie's strategy was bad, he fucked up, he shouldn't have ran, he can't move the needle, then that says even less for Warren.
It says that Bernies 30% weren't budging. His ceiling is pitiful and I think Warren could have pushed past it. Once he decided to hop in I knew neither one had a chance. And it sucks. Progressives backed the worse progressive candidate.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

i'll say this, being a Bernie stan retroactively makes me want to appreciate the noble losers of electoral politics

the people who shot for the moon, got close or didn't, and made things better

as demoralizing and consequential as Bernie's loss is, there's something spiritual about it, too

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the idea that Joe surged due to his "amazing" debate performance is hilarious.

You know what's equally as hilarious? To assume that anyone gives a shit about debates anymore.

Do we not recall that Clinton completely wiped the floor with Trump in all three debates? That didn't really seem to matter at all.

And again, this does nothing to change the underlying point- Bernie couldn't secure the nomination with a weak field, a lot of momentum at his back, and a 2016 primary that put his name on the map.

Bernie lost this and no one else. That's the takeaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.