• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
You cannot be real with this shit. The one where people were asking about people in cages in the border? Are they trumpers too? To which Biden said: "VOTE FOR TRUMP".
You know exactly which interaction I was talking about. The one where he said he was full of shit. He was a fucking trumper misrepresenting Biden's stance on the 2nd amendment. Why you have to be so disingenuous?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no issue with Bernie staying in until the next debate. If he can expose Biden's weaknesses in the debate then he might have a shot at changing the tide. If the debate doesn't change anything then he should drop out.
Biden could literally do a chicken dance during the entirety of the next debate and still win the primary at this point. Hopefully Bernie doesn't believe that tearing down Biden in the next debate has a chance to change the result. If he wants to ask Biden questions about his platform and try to pull him toward his, fine, but this idea that there's any chance in hell Bernie can win this primary left is fantasy.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It most definitely ain't sudden. Most of the heavy lifting posters in here are/were big fans of Hilary and still blame him for her loss. Also, Sanders didn't make a lot of the gatekeepers happy so you're seeing the fallout from that too.

Lol, I don't know of any Hillary supporters here that blame sanders for her loss. What are you talking about?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Vocabulary? Are you serious right now? The entire GOP is at his behalf. Do you think attack ads and twitter messages will be handwritten by Trump?

You cannot be real with this shit. The one where people were asking about people in cages in the border? Are they trumpers too? To which Biden said: "VOTE FOR TRUMP".

The guy he said was full of shit was trying a stupid "you're gonna take all my guns away" right-wing talking point, wasn't he?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It feels like I listened to a different speech then most of you. This didn't feel like a usual Bernie speech at all and felt like a concession speech but with his goal to debate Biden, question Biden to make sure Biden understands the needs of his base, try and shift Biden a bit leftward before he then drops out next week and endorses Biden. This feels like the complete opposite situation of 2016.

I agree. He didn't mention any other states, didn't talk about a path to victory, didn't mention taking it to the convention, nothing. A little stump speech, then he admitted he is losing, and then talked about wanting to talk to Joe at the debate.

I think he's going to bow out after the debate.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Recently people have generally been all for him.

He loses Super Tuesday and all the people that hate him just crawl out of the woodwork, seemingly incensed that he won't drop out, bringing up 2016 and whatever else they can to try and dump on him.

It's just sad, this thread is so damn toxic.

I don't think its "crawling out of the woodwork", its just the folks who weren't comfortable with him before are more comfortable speaking up when hes not the frontrunner.

And I don't think its completely unjustified people are worried hes going to drag this all the way through June... because thats exactly what he did last time.

Oct 29, 2017
It feels like I listened to a different speech then most of you. This didn't feel like a usual Bernie speech at all and felt like a concession speech but with his goal to debate Biden, question Biden to make sure Biden understands the needs of his base, try and shift Biden a bit leftward before he then drops out next week and endorses Biden. This feels like the complete opposite situation of 2016.

People are wanting to be quick to shit on Bernie for staying in, being reactionary and all that.

Let Bernie go 1v1 with Biden, there's literally no good reason not to let him.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
It's because most of these posters were staying out of the thread before SC.
It's because a lot of us actually agree with Bernie, but recognize he is a bad politician that can't move the needle past his shrinking base. And it's frustrating to see folks not admit that he fucked up. His strategy was bad. He never should have run. Warren should have been THE progressive in this race.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Biden could literally do a chicken dance during the entirety of the next debate and still win at this point. Hopefully Bernie doesn't believe that tearing down Biden in the next debate has a chance to change the result. If he wants to ask Biden questions about his platform and try to pull him toward his, fine, but this idea that there's any chance in hell Bernie can win this primary left is fantasy.
I don't know what you mean by "tearing Biden down", but at this point making Biden look like a weak candidate in the debate is really his only option. He has to show people that he's got weaknesses that will make him a bad choice in the general. Exit polls show that people are voting based on who they think has the best chance of beating Trump. Making the debate about policy is literally the worst strategy Sanders could take. He needs to wreck Biden in the debate and make him look weak. It's his only hope.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, I thought Sanders was dropping today, but there's not much harm if he stays in another week. Provided he doesn't go negative and try and tear down the ultimate winner.

This next week will be consumed by coronavirus. If Biden gets the opportunity to showcase stable leadership, then nothing matters.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
The guy he said was full of shit was trying a stupid "you're gonna take all my guns away" right-wing talking point, wasn't he?

If we assume that only Trumpers are worried for the second amendment and Biden should not hold his temper while he explains the details about what he will do (which is simply: a ban on semi-assault weapons, hopefully), then Biden will be in trouble in the generals.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Fun to see people getting so tilted at Bernie staying in like he was always going to until he gets one more shot to actually test Biden one on one. He's giving Biden all the time to prepare for that debate and essentially ensure that he can hand that movement off if Biden actually has answers to Bernie's questions and direct issues because he cares about those issues and knows that his base, particularly a younger generation that is desperate for change, needs to hear something from Biden. This is the best case scenario for everyone involved and lets the process play its final act. Biden gets this right and he's won, or he doesn't and then the race changes significantly. Bernie placed the ball in Biden's court to make his case.

Quit with your bullshit "This is a repeat of 2016" or "HE'S SUCH AN IDIOT" bellyaching. It's probably one more week at most. That one week spent "fighting the real fight instead of this one" isn't realistically going to make the difference between Biden or Trump, and with Coronavirus spreading, that gives more time for Trump to fuck up his response anyway. Calm down.

Yeah the idea that Bernie staying in a bit longer is some blow to Biden is so bizzare (unless you think he's that poor of a candidate). If Biden can't hold up against some scrutiny from his own side he'll get eaten alive by the GOP machine later.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know what you mean by "tearing Biden down", but at this point making Biden look like a weak candidate in the debate is really his only option. He has to show people that he's got weaknesses that will make him a bad choice in the general. Exit polls show that people are voting based on who they think has the best chance of beating Trump. Making the debate about policy is literally the worst strategy Sanders could take. He needs to wreck Biden in the debate and make him look weak. It's his only hope.
...but Bernie has no hope at this point. He's not going to win.

So trying to hurt Biden in such a way now only serves to harm us for the general.

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.usatoday.com

Joe Biden tells activist, 'You should vote for Trump,' over criticism of Obama deportations

At a town hall, 2020 candidate Joe Biden told an attendee that he would not put an end to all deportations, prompting protest.

Google is great. You have a really bad record of poorly deflecting arguments. Just letting you know.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden's never had a good debate this whole cycle. He's fumbled them at best. What's to make this one after he already won any different? There isn't a chance in hell Bernie wins this no matter what happens on Sunday, and I think, from his speech, that he knows that.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's because a lot of us actually agree with Bernie, but recognize he is a bad politician that can't move the needle past his shrinking base. And it's frustrating to see folks not admit that he fucked up. His strategy was bad. He never should have run. Warren should have been THE progressive in this race.

Why? She did worse than Bernie!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

So trying to hurt Biden in such a way now only serves to harm us for the general.

It's just an unnecessary risk for Biden. At best he "wins" the debate and mops the floor with Bernie when the voting happens.

At worst he "loses" the debate and still mops the floor with Bernie. And now we have clips of him losing the debate leading up to November.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not sure you're appreciating the dire position Bernie is in. There's no realistic chance anything Biden does it doesn't do changes the result at this point. Biden is leading by like 30 points going forward. Even if Bernie had the exact same trajectory as Biden since SC it wouldn't be enough.

I mean, that's not convincing.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

It's not possible.

Politico said:
But the nearly insurmountable odds now confronting Sanders became obvious the minute the first states were called. Following Biden's win in Mississippi, the primary crossed a threshold: Sanders would have to win more than 55 percent of delegates still on the board to secure a delegate majority.

That's just after Mississippi. It's worse now. He can't make up that hole.

www.politico.com

Bernie Sanders is all but done

It wasn’t just the results on Tuesday. It was the realization that, for the first time, he had no excuse and nothing better to look forward to.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020

I mean Biden literally doesn't have the delegates yet, so yes there is hope. Do I think Bernie can win? no, not really. But if Sanders is able to "hurt" Biden in such a way that it hurts us in the general, then that just means Biden is weak and that Trump would have been able to do the same amount of damage to Biden anyways. I don't get the logic of treating Biden with kids gloves. The whole point of a primary is to vet candidates and determine which one would be best in the general.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
This is, IMO, the best path towards party unity. Bernie basically acknowledged Joe is going to be the nominee and reiterated priority number one is beating Trump. He's not attempting to damage Joe. He's attempting to pull Joe a little left and ensure he earns the support of his progressive base.

If Bernie were to drop out today and stump as hard as possible for Biden over the next eight months, millions of his supporters still wouldn't vote for Biden. Bernie was right when he said the establishment cannot be satisfied with winning with old people and ignore the issues important to the future of the party.

If all goes well, this advances policy that exit poll after exit poll shows the majority of people support, prevents millions of young voters from staying home in November, and doesn't lead to total disenfranchisement of young people with the party.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. He didn't mention any other states, didn't talk about a path to victory, didn't mention taking it to the convention, nothing. A little stump speech, then he admitted he is losing, and then talked about wanting to talk to Joe at the debate.

I think he's going to bow out after the debate.
This^
the fact that people cant see this and are outraged is unreal.

Biden needs to be pushed, forever

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah. I'm a hardcore progressive and even I see now that it's over. No need to ruin the chance of defeating Trump by exposing the dude who was chosen to face him.

I just hope that if Biden loses people finally realize running the same game, only with a man isn't a winning strategy. We basically saying! Here is Hillary Clinton only this time it's a old dude! So your woman hating ways should no longer apply!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie wasn't telling Biden what he has to do to win the primary! He was telling him what he has to do to win the general! Now it might just be his opinion, Biden might be able to win without any other input, but that's what Bernie's speech as about.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So you feel those "attacks" by someone who wasn't even viable in a state yesterday, whose policies don't gain traction outside of young people (who don't vote anyway) and cant attract the older demographic somehow suddenly has so much power to alter the GE? I get the idea, but can't buy that he has that much of an impact moving forward. Seems like an easy scapegoat for the front runners inability to stand on his own.
Then you, dear friend, haven't been watching this game for too long.

Every attack in the primary is a potential vector of attack for your opponent in the general.

Those quotes and soundbites are forever and will be weaponized.

Like I said, sticking around to push policy is one thing, a positive one. Sticking around to lash out is an entirely different thing.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people worried Biden can't even stand up to a debate with his own side. it's not exactly a good look.

"what if he says something really stupid and they use it against him"... yeah, what if.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
It's just an unnecessary risk for Biden. At best he "wins" the debate and mops the floor with Bernie when the voting happens.

At worst he "loses" the debate and still mops the floor with Bernie. And now we have clips of him losing the debate leading up to November.

You can't just keep your candidate locked in a tower until the general election....

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
That's not really possible. The November election is happening in November.

Also, the Democratic Party or state parties do not set the date of the primaries. The state governments do.
To when? Coronavirus is going on all year, this isn't gonna get better in the near-future. I do get that downballot primaries are important, though.
i don't think the risk is prohibitive and i agree with those points

I am just pointing out that people in this thread are using concern for corona as cudgel to get bernie to drop out are not thinking it through

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think Bernie can be proud of what he's done though, despite not winning. There's been a definite shift in the conversation and I think he got a lot of people engaged. Not enough to win across the United States but enough to start something. I think his influence will be felt for a long time through the people following in his footsteps.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Is there even an upside for Biden doing the debate? Bernie could crush him, and the votes will still go to Biden. All the debate could do is make Biden look weaker in the November election.

Oct 29, 2017
Biden's never had a good debate this whole cycle. He's fumbled them at best. What's to make this one after he already won any different? There isn't a chance in hell Bernie wins this no matter what happens on Sunday, and I think, from his speech, that he knows that.

Exactly, though. Biden hasn't performed well in the debates. He was far from frontrunner for most of the primary once voting actually started. Has he ACTUALLY campaigned better than Bernie? Bernie isn't perfect, but it seems as though Biden's campaign wasn't hot shit until AFTER the moderates dropped out and tossed their hats in with him just in time for Super Tuesday. That, coupled with the base's fear of another 4 years of Trump and seemingly thinking Biden is the "safe" candidate.

All lends not to Biden actually putting in the quality work to campaign and debate and make the argument, for himself, that he is the best candidate for the job.

Look, if Biden is the nom (which it looks like he will be) I'll be voting for him 100%. I'm not a Bernie or Buster, never have been, and I think that is a terrible stance to take as a voter if you are. But I defintiely do not think Biden actually campaigned or debated better than Bernie to get here. So let Bernie stay in and debate him.

If Bernie wrecks him in the debate, maybe Biden ISN'T the strongest candidate to take on Trump in 2020 afterall.

Oct 25, 2017
We've had consistent polling for over a year showing that voters didnt care much for banning private insurance. And for over a year Sanders and his surrogates repeated the same talking points each time that concern was brought up. Voters are not to blame.

There has to be a way to change this. Private insurance is a scourge, regardless of whether universal healthcare exists or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.