• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It can be both. If older generations looked at the progressive agenda and said, "Oh lord, they're going to destroy our country" and came out to vote against Sanders, then that absolutely contributes to the current situation. I'm not saying I even know of any one that did that exactly, but like, we've seen how boomers act on average when it comes to looking for a better future and I wouldn't be surprised if that really was the case with at least some of the voting population. I get a sense from some that I've talked to that they see it as their duty to ensure that we're saved from ourselves essentially.
Or they are just making what they think to be the best decision?

Which is their right, just like it is the younger generation's right to feel differently. The difference is the older gens bothered to actually vote.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I am very smart and voting for the guy that will win. They're the one to beat Trump because I am being pragmatic. I have been playing RTS games for years and some times you have to sacrifice some progressive zergling ideals to get a foothold on the terrain. Then you can build hydralisk dams as to power your army off the oil creep.

I have smart thoughts. The world is a video game and we have to min/max. I am also fortunate enough to be in a position where waiting for these progressive ideas won't negatively impact my life. But I'm an ally, I started the Democratic Terran campaign. I am very smart.
As we all know, no one who voted for Biden, particularly the vast majority of black voters, the Democratic base, are in any unfortunate position and are smoking cigars while tut tutting from afar. The only underprivileged people are the white liberals of rose twitter who retweet Bernie but never actually vote.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back at this tweet it feels like the moment where Sanders lost the nomination (actually probably when his campaign decided on the 30% strategy). Yeah yeah I know Rep Clyburn's endorsement came after but fuck me, why send that tweet right after winning Nevada.

Only served to antagonize and exclude those who may have voted for you.

It's such dumb shit. All he had to do after Nevada was act like he belonged there.

As dumb as anything Hillary did in 2016.

Aug 12, 2019
Or they are just making what they think to be the best decision?

Which is their right, just like it is the younger generation's right to feel differently. The difference is the older gens bothered to actually vote.

I mean, yeah, it's their right, but I'm saying they own part of the results if they came out specifically to "stop us from ourselves." A LOT of Trump voters voted that way for example that they saw a degradation of their values and thus had to right the ship from those "Radical Leftists." Sure, it's on the people who didn't vote for the loss, but that doesn't absolve the people who voted of their decision making and influence either. Especially when we're often talking about a block of voters aged 65 and older that have considerably more time and access to the polls than younger cohorts.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
My reaction when I see the voter turnout percent for the 18 to 25 year old demographic

kY3bOlr.jpg

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am very smart and voting for the guy that will win. They're the one to beat Trump because I am being pragmatic. I have been playing RTS games for years and some times you have to sacrifice some progressive zergling ideals to get a foothold on the terrain. Then you can build hydralisk dams as to power your army off the oil creep.

I have smart thoughts. The world is a video game and we have to min/max. I am also fortunate enough to be in a position where waiting for these progressive ideas won't negatively impact my life. But I'm an ally, I started the Democratic Terran campaign. I am very smart.

Lol, you should look at Biden's best demographics more closely.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, yeah, it's their right, but I'm saying they own part of the results if they came out specifically to "stop us from ourselves." A LOT of Trump voters voted that way for example that they saw a degradation of their values and thus had to right the ship from those "Radical Leftists." Sure, it's on the people who didn't vote for the loss, but that doesn't absolve the people who voted of their decision making and influence either. Especially when we're often talking about a block of voters aged 65 and older that have considerably more time and access to the polls than younger cohorts.
Voting was open in Michigan for two months.

They had plenty of time to vote. They just didn't.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not certain why you think identifying the overwhelming corruption in our political system is antithetical to cooperation and alliances for the greater good of removing Trump. Bernie's entire movement has been predicated on reform within the Democratic Party. When he's pushing people like AOC into positions of power, they are not being elected as Independents but rather Democrats.

Bernie's rhetoric is not any harsher than it was in 2016 and given that centrist Democrats are at least pretending to care about progressive issues this time around, it's safe to assume the majority of his base will come out to defeat Trump en masse just as they did in 2016.
Bernie is running to be leader and representative of the Democratic Party. Saying the Democratic Party is overwhelmingly corrupt is not exactly a great way to win over people who identify as part of the party. Bernie's platform was not "reform", it was a hostile takeover. People like AOC joined the party and worked within it, something Sanders has refused to do.

Bernie's rhetoric is the same as 2016 and failed even harder than 2016 because this time he wasn't running against Hillary Clinton. He ran a campaign that was literally trying to win with 30% of the vote, completely uninterested in trying to expand his base. The way in which the campaign ended up functioning ended up resembling more of a Bernie Sanders patreon rather than a Bernie Sanders campaign, as he ended up just aiming all the messages at people who already supported him rather than trying to do any sort of outreach to people who didn't vote for him last time.

Aug 12, 2019
Voting was open in Michigan for two months.

They had plenty of time to vote. They just didn't.

I don't think framing this in a way that entirely casts blame on younger voters for not coming out in greater numbers is productive is my point. Not to mention, younger voters may be more mobile and caught in issues of eligibility for voting because they've recently moved or are in college with an out of state license, etc. And having been on the rough end of that, those don't always get resolved particularly quickly even through effort (And we also don't teach Civics to most kids, so they often don't realize the laws they have to navigate because of years of Republican voter suppression in many areas).

Like, again, at the end of the day, they didn't come out to the polls, but there's a lot more to that discussion and like I said, people casting ballots should be held accountable too.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

I don't get this either, we spent the last 4 years trying to get trump out of office

mueller, impeachment

now when the time comes where we the people can actually toss him out on his ass , where we don't have to rely on trials and witnesses, we can just vote his ass out......we have to convince people to vote him out?

why? This should be a common sense / common goal decision.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think framing this in a way that entirely casts blame on younger voters for not coming out in greater numbers is productive is my point. Not to mention, younger voters may be more mobile and caught in issues of eligibility for voting because they've recently moved or are in college with an out of state license, etc. And having been on the rough end of that, those don't always get resolved particularly quickly even through effort (And we also don't teach Civics to most kids, so they often don't realize the laws they have to navigate because of years of Republican voter suppression in many areas).

Like, again, at the end of the day, they didn't come out to the polls, but there's a lot more to that discussion and like I said, people casting ballots should be held accountable too.
But held accountable to what? They voted for who they felt to be the best choice. As they should.

Saying "but they were wrong" is what's unhelpful. Bernie has now proven twice that his strategy is not a winning one. That's the lesson we need to take from this election, or else we are never going to get anywhere.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise, it "doesn't count".
And keep it 100 biden did have a hand in biggest fundamental change in American health care since, ever. You can validly argue it didn't go far enough and you be right. But the landscape has changed, you get a majority today and you won't have Libermans types fucking up.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see Biden going further left of where he already is.

That's kinda why I'm wondering why Biden would make concessions to Sanders on his platform when Sanders has mostly won safe blue states whereas Biden has shown that his platform is popular among Democrats in key states like Michigan and North Carolina.

Does he pivot right or stay right where he is to win over as many moderates as he can or does he pivot left to win over disaffected Bernie voters? Are disaffected Bernie voters so entrenched that Biden would have to completely shift left to win them over? But then do you risk losing moderates in that scenario?

Without anti-Hillary voters, I think Bernie Sanders is in an even weaker position this year than he was in 2016 to create change and shift the conversation leftward.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
The stupid part being Biden literally said healthcare is a human right in his victory speech tonight, while Bernie didn't say anything because he lost miserably.
Biden can get fucked. His shitty healthcare plan isn't going to make healthcare a right for anyone. Going to have to hold my nose so hard in November to vote for that ghoul.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I wrote a reply to the "Who should be VP" thread, but it closed before I could post it, so sorry, I'm just going to dump it here.

My first thoughts, looking at that list, are Abrams or Harris. I don't look forward to the racist and sexist attacks from the right, but I think they'd be good VP candidates, and significantly younger than the top of the ticket. Sometimes VP math is about targeting certain states. I don't know if Abrams would put GA in play or not. For Harris, CA isn't one of the states we're worried about (yes, fight for every state, every vote, campaign there, but realistically, it's not likely to be a close race there). Harris and Biden had beef during the debates, but it's been long enough, those fences could be mended for the greater good. Harris probably has the edge as far as experience. I haven't seen Abrams debate, but she seems good in interviews.

I never thought a Biden/Bernie ticket was remotely likely, but hell, I don't know. Would the more hardcore Bernie supporters sign up for that, as it gets their guy on the ticket (considering the chances of him running again in 4 or 8 years are increasingly less likely)? Would the anti-Bernie crowd/donors put up a fuss and keep his name out of consideration entirely? Would Biden actually go for it/allow some changes to the platform to bring in Bernie voters? (Not that I expect Joe to go all in on M4A after complete opposition to it, but If Bernie was going to be on the ticket, it can't just for ribbon cutting.) It's not a very diverse ticket by age/race, but potentially could bring together the youth vote and the olds. I still don't think it's likely, but I'm warming to the idea.

As much as I like Warren, I don't know. She seems to be outright hated by some of the Bernie crowd, maybe more so than Biden. My guess is that people who had Warren as their first or second choice are probably still motivated to vote even if she's not on the ticket; not sure who she'd be bringing in now. Would love to see her in a cabinet position, but also realize a Republican governor would put a Republican Senator in her seat. (Same problem for Bernie, but not for Harris.)

I'm guessing Pete doesn't bring a lot to the ticket that Biden doesn't have already. Yang... probably doesn't have the experience to be there.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
But held accountable to what? They voted for who they felt to be the best choice. As they should.

Saying "but they were wrong" is what's unhelpful. Bernie has now proven twice that his strategy is not a winning one. That's the lesson we need to take from this election.

Accountable for getting Biden the nomination and pushing Bernie further away from it? Just that kind of basic accountability for your own votes. It's on both the people who came out and the people who didn't for the results, but there's always a lot of blaming who didn't I feel like.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
It's strange to blame older people for voting instead of blaming younger people for not voting.
Those young people will vote eventually when they grow up and mature. I remember being 18/24 and voting (wrongly) but not really paying enough attention. It takes time to really see what's going on around you and to get a grasp on who's causing the problems and who's being blamed for causing the problems. To form an opinion and vote on it. Some are quicker to learn than others. I'm not going to blame them for having to learn how the world works from hands on experience. I don't expect them to know everything right out of the gate. That's more of a boomer line of thinking. Making fun of the youth for not knowing something but never bothering to teach them.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the Nuremberg defense?
I implore you too actually look at CCM record before you lambast her for doing her constitutional duty. She is someone you want in office. Please don't let an out of context wiki excerpt determine your opinion on someone who has a long history of fighting for LGBT rights.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get this either, we spent the last 4 years trying to get trump out of office

mueller, impeachment

now when the time comes where we the people can actually toss him out on his ass , where we don't have to rely on trials and witnesses, we can just vote his ass out......we have to convince people to vote him out?

why? This should be a common sense / common goal decision.
There are some on the left who have convinced themselves that Biden is as bad or worse than Trump. Crazy, but it's definitely come up during the primary on this site from a few posters.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a reply to the "Who should be VP" thread, but it closed before I could post it, so sorry, I'm just going to dump it here.

My first thoughts, looking at that list, are Abrams or Harris. I don't look forward to the racist and sexist attacks from the right, but I think they'd be good VP candidates, and significantly younger than the top of the ticket. Sometimes VP math is about targeting certain states. I don't know if Abrams would put GA in play or not. For Harris, CA isn't one of the states we're worried about (yes, fight for every state, every vote, campaign there, but realistically, it's not likely to be a close race there). Harris and Biden had beef during the debates, but it's been long enough, those fences could be mended for the greater good. Harris probably has the edge as far as experience. I haven't seen Abrams debate, but she seems good in interviews.

I never thought a Biden/Bernie ticket was remotely likely, but hell, I don't know. Would the more hardcore Bernie supporters sign up for that, as it gets their guy on the ticket (considering the chances of him running again in 4 or 8 years is increasingly less likely)? Would the anti-Bernie crowd/donors put up a fuss and keep his name out of consideration entirely? It's not a very diverse ticket by age/race, but potentially could bring together the youth vote and the olds. I still don't think it's likely, but I'm warming to the idea.

As much as I like Warren, I don't know. She seems to be outright hated by some of the Bernie crowd, maybe more so than Biden. My guess is that people who had Warren as their first or second choice are probably still motivated to vote even if she's not on the ticket; not sure who she'd be bringing in now. Would love to see her in a cabinet position, but also realize a Republican governor would put a Republican Senator in her seat. (Same problem for Bernie, but not for Harris.)

I'm guessing Pete doesn't bring a lot to the ticket that Biden doesn't have already. Yang... probably doesn't have the experience to be there.
What gives pause on Abrams, is the lack of experience. She was minority leader of the Georgia House, yes, but given Biden's age his VP pick is going to have a much higher possibility of assuming the presidency than normal. Going from state rep to President of the USA is an enormous leap. Harris has the experience, as AG of California and Senator, which gives her an edge. Senators Duckworth, Baldwin, Cortez Masto would also be decent choices, or a Governor like Whitmer.

If Abrams had not been cheated out of the Governor's seat, sure, but then again if she was Governor she wouldn't be a candidate as she no doubt would be aiming to serve two full terms to help that state.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for not knowing every single one of his policies. Sometimes its hard to parse reality from sarcasm in here, I assumed it was posted in good faith. Thats on me, Ill accept that I was wrong.
The whole point Yglesias was making is that, yeah, Biden isn't as far left as Sanders, but his platform is still pursuing policies that you're after and maybe y'all should be aware of that before declaring how terrible he is.

It's not everything you're after to the extent you're after, but it's still a move leftward from the pre-Trump status quo. Just like Obama was a move leftward from the pre-Bush status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.