• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lol the older millenials amongst us are definitely obama supporters. and he's still popular. incredibly so.

biden probably would've won in 2016. fuck.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BS. People just care about beating Trump and didn't think Sanders could do it. If you can't even understand the electorate you're competing for, how can you even hope to win? Progressives constantly show they have no fucking idea what America actually is. They fall in love with candidates not ideas. You think Republicans care about the wall or its more about Trump? You think Democrats cared about the ACÁ as much as they loved Obama? Bernie Sanders was a terrible standard bearer for some very popular ideas. Progressivism needs a better standard bearer. You think I don't want M4A or the green new deal? I do, but what does it matter if Trump just destroys Bernie in November. Bernie's coalition theory argument has completely failed. He won a single primary in New Hampshire. Why would I bet my families future on a someone who can't win?
That's the problem, only concerned with beating Trump. Who cares about climate change, the 500,000 homeless, tens of millions uninsured, 80,000 years dying each year from lack of coverage $1.5 trillion and counting of crushing student debt, tuition rates increasingly becoming completely affordable to working class people, and broken/racist justice system in our country. I'm sure Joe Biden will get right on all that. It's not like his senate record is full of votes making every single one of those problems worse or anything.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy your facile and empty win as your system crumbles around you, i'm sure Joe winning because of an economic collapse and then immediately just going and doing what Obama did but again, and worse, certainly won't end badly for the decaying liberal project.

Unless a liberal or progressive president has the Senate as well as the House on his side, there's little you can expect in terms of radical change. No matter who is governing.

Effectively, Obama only had full control of the Senate for a short time.

The truth....then....is this: Democrats had "total control" of the House of Representatives from 2009-2011, 2 full years. Democrats, and therefore, Obama, had "total control" of the Senate from September 24, 2009 until February 4, 2010. A grand total of 4 months.

Did President Obama have "total control" of Congress? Yes, for 4 entire months. And it was during that very small time window that Obamacare was passed in the Senate with 60 all-Democratic votes.

www.beaconjournal.com

When Obama Had "Total Control of Congress"

The Reverend Lies are easy to get away with if they are repeated often enough and given voice by many different people. Repeat a lie often enough and that lie often becomes conventional wisdom. Repe…

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
While he wasn't my first (or second or third...) choice, I will do what I can to support Biden this fall. To the Bernie supporters out there, I'm sending you my love. It hurts when your candidate, especially one you believed in so much, doesn't win. While I didn't vote for Bernie, I understand that it's a disillusioning experience that makes you question the system and your place in everything. But I hope that we all unite in the coming months to tackle the true existential threat that exists with 4 more years of Trump, where he has free reign to sow chaos and discord without any consequences. That and the possibility of a generationally lopsided Supreme Court in favor of conservatives. There's too much at stake this fall.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
This is just factually incorrect. He also won California, Utah, and Colorado.
Forgot about Cali, so I accept I was off there. Yeah he got some wins I forgot about, doesn't take away from my point that Americans vote for candidates not ideas, and this is proven election after election. If Americans voted for ideas, Warren would be running away with the nomination.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously though, I don't understand the personality cult for Obama. People wonder how Republicans can just ignore/justify everything Trump does but then somehow have a blind spot where they try to downplay the foreign policy of the Obama administration, like Obama is not your friend, he has no idea who you are, it's not like he needs to be defended from war crime accusations, he's not going to go to jail.

I ain't here to be your cathartic punching bag. Bad faith trolling gets called out. Deal with it

Go ahead and make the Evil Empire: American Militarism in the Age of Digital Death thread. I'll be there to hash it all out.

May 30, 2018
Maybe they can drone some brown kids for some old times sake.

:(

People will pretend that Sanders would have the same body counts as those before him but I sincerely believe he would have been different. He was the only good man I've ever seen run in American politics.

Trump, Obama, Clinton, Bush, Biden, to me are all the same shit

Good luck to the American Bernie Supporters here, must be hell

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless a liberal or progressive president has the Senate as well as the House on his side, there's little you can expect in terms of radical change. No matter who is governing.
I mean we didn't talk about that BECAUSE THAT WASN'T WHAT WAS ON THE LINE at the moment. SOON, that will be AND THEN we will also focus on that.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Sanders doesn't need to talk tonight, he can opine on how billionaires and the establishment cost him this primary because his loss has nothing to do with him just as well tomorrow.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish more people cared about the people of Yemen and the rest of the region which Obama's admin contributed untold suffering to.
Sure, but good luck getting people to vote by saying that.

I'm not saying you should think Obama was a great President. I'm saying only someone with an incredible lack of connection to the public wouldn't realize he's popular.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Biden's speech emphasized the thing I like most about him: his potential to unite the country (and, ultimately, humanity). There'll be more to do after that, but that has to be step #1.

Good stuff.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we didn't talk about that BECAUSE THAT WASN'T WHAT WAS ON THE LINE at the moment. SOON, that will be AND THEN we will also focus on that.

That's admittedly fair. Just bringing it up because sometimes that aspect tends to be forgotten when referencing what Obama did or didn't do.

If neither Biden nor Sanders manage to get 60 (D) votes in the Senate, they'll both be essentially governing with one hand tied behind their back.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Not so much sad as dumbfounding. Where do these people live? Twitter I guess.

It was so bizarre that at the beginning of this primary almost all the candidates except Biden were all trying to shit on Obama. Dude has like 90+ percent approval by democrats... and you think dunking on him will win you the democratic nomination? Lawl.

Pretty much. Many of them got into politics in 2016 so what they know is what they're favorite leftist youtubers have repeated (neoliberal, war criminal, Wall Street stooge, etc.).

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is just insane.

qkp0yo2woyl41.png

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good luck America. Don't think Biden can mentally handle a long election, the media and the constant attack ads Trump will throw at him, and I also believe all the attack ads will uncover his skeletons that will make a lot of people apathetic about voting in general.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
While Biden isn't my first pick (5th? At best) I'll gladly fill in the bubble by his name without hesitation come November, along with every other D candidate on the ballot.

Progress really comes in leaps and bounds, and sometimes you have to stop moving backwards before you can go forwards again.

I only hope he picks a good VP who can push a stronger climate agenda than he's pitched.

The bit that does annoy me - I feel like he could have won in 2016 given how it came down to so few votes in a few states. Would have taken him or any D then over Clinton if they could have won.

While he has his flakey moments I think he'll debate fine. He pummelled Palin (yeah, a while ago...), Trump basically just rambled on in 2016 and is even worse now, and frankly I'll be shocked if Trump shows up at all rather than having another rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.