• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is always the strangest take to me. How is Bernie, as a controversial politician, going to calm republicans down and turn them into reasonable people? 8 years of Obama made them into this. I can't imagine 4 years of Bernie.
This is an even stranger take. You say 8 years of Obama made Republicans like they are today...so Obama's VP will calm them down?

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I can only imagine the reaction if Bernie, AOC or Omar were caught saying that shit to white male factory workers. The sky would be falling at CNN/MSNBC and Pelosi would be coming up from behind with piano wire for the Ilhan. The double standards are amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just about policy. Biden has done poorly in debates so far. His age is showing and he's not as sharp as he was. He's often forgetful and unclear (no I'm not talking about a stutter) and it gets much worse when he is being criticized.

Those things will become much more obvious when he can't simply let others take up more time.

And no, I'm not saying he's got dementia or any kind of mental condition, before anybody jumps on me. But it's very clear that he's not where he was even a handful of years ago.
I don't think anyone claims the opposite. The excellent twitter thread posted earlier in this thread about avoidance when it comes to stuttering provided some good insight into why Biden sometimes sounds forgetful and/or unclear though.

Either way, I think it would be good to see both him and Sanders in a 1v1 town hall format as well. The traditional stand-up debates are too antagonistic and theatrical for my taste.

Aug 12, 2019
They've seen enough.

Honestly if I was Biden I wouldn't go to anymore primary debates. It could only hurt him.

If he can't survive debates with Bernie in the first one on one actual debate of the entire primary season, he won't survive the General. And at the very least he should show up as however minor a branch of good will to the numerous people who voted and continue to vote for Bernie Sanders. If Bernie couldn't survive without the establishment, Biden can't survive without the Bernie people voting for him as well. I couldn't think of a worse way to piss off people already frustrated by Biden's rise than just blatantly refusing to debate him.

In no world should any of us be advocating for Biden to skip the debates. Realistically it's not going to suddenly give Bernie the momentum to come back in this primary, but its important to let this actually play out for a little while longer.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is the one who was "bad on guns" but Biden proudly declaring he supports the Second Amendment is good actually

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This is an even stranger take. You say 8 years of Obama made Republicans like they are today...so Obama's VP will calm them down?
The reality is that no one who Democrats elected this year - Biden, Bernie, Bloomberg, Warren, any of them - would "calm Republicans down."

This is actually a major instance wherein I'm concerned about Biden's ability to govern and lead, because he thinks his personal friendships with R senators will triumph over their strategy of constant obstructionism, but all the same.

The way to beat Trumpism, Republicans and the Right is by continuously beating them at the polls. That's it. Problem is if Bernie's the best person to do that his coalition needs to step it up, and thus far they haven't been doing that. Voter turnout in the primaries has surged but we're seeing Biden as the main beneficiary of that.

Bernie is the one who was "bad on guns" but Biden proudly declaring he supports the Second Amendment is good actually
lol saying you "support the Second Amendment" is one of the emptiest platitudes any politician makes towards gun rights. Bernie would say he supports the Second Amendment too, no one rips on him for that.

None of the popular gun control policies Democrats have been pushing violate the Second Amendment, the difference is (to my knowledge) Biden has supported all of them throughout his career whereas Bernie has only recently come around on some of them. (and this is where I point out that Bernie moving to the left on this issue is actually a Good Thing, but also flies in the face of the whole "hasn't changed his positions in 40 years" schtick)

Oct 27, 2017
The Florida Atlantic University poll that has Biden up 61 - 25 over Sanders is depressing as it relates to Trump.

Didn't realize he has almost a 50% favorable rating in that state. Fucking ew.

Beats Biden 51-49 in the general election. 53-47 over Sanders.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I can only imagine the reaction if Bernie, AOC or Omar were caught saying that shit to white male factory workers. The sky would be falling at CNN/MSNBC and Pelosi would be coming up from behind with piano wire for the Ilhan. The double standards are amazing.
I don't agree. He was approached in a very confrontational manner and he defended his positions. The fact that Biden is white has nothing to do with it.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Florida Atlantic University poll that has Biden up 61 - 25 over Sanders is depressing as it relates to Trump.

Didn't realize he has almost a 50% favorable rating in that state. Fucking ew.

Beats Biden 51-49 in the general election. 53-47 over Sanders.

Old people who don't need new social programs. Gonna be a heavy Trump tilt there. As long as Trump stops saying he'll cut entitlements, lol.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The reality is that no one who Democrats elected this year - Biden, Bernie, Bloomberg, Warren, any of them - would "calm Republicans down."

This is actually a major instance wherein I'm concerned about Biden's ability to govern and lead, because he thinks his personal friendships with R senators will triumph over their strategy of constant obstructionism, but all the same.

The way to beat Trumpism, Republicans and the Right is by continuously beating them at the polls. That's it. Problem is if Bernie's the best person to do that his coalition needs to step it up, and thus far they haven't been doing that. Voter turnout in the primaries has surged but we're seeing Biden as the main beneficiary of that.
I'm not really disagreeing with any of that and don't agree with the assertion that Obama turned Republicans into what they are today - I'm just pointing out the nonsense that somehow Biden is a clear answer when you're claiming such a thing makes absolutely no sense.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't think anyone claims the opposite. The excellent twitter thread posted earlier in this thread about avoidance when it comes to stuttering provided some good insight into why Biden sometimes sounds forgetful and/or unclear though.

Either way, I think it would be good to see both him and Sanders in a 1v1 town hall format as well. The traditional stand-up debates are too antagonistic and theatrical for my taste.
It was in response to people claiming voters have nothing left to learn from a 1 on 1 debate.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
How do you think he could have tried harder? Clyburn was never going to endorse Sanders because of their political differences and I'd wager the other important factor was the work Biden was able to do directly with black communities in the South as VP which is a chance Bernie never has/will never get. Also stop treating the black vote like a monolith.

I guess Bernie could lie more about being arrested in South Africa and being thanked by Mandela or marching in the civil rights movement?

Let's see what's enacted. Medicare for All is pretty much a universally popular policy that was pushed by most of the candidates this year in some varient; they've suddenly all behind a man who was never for it.

The progressive policies Sander's pushed forward are all just window dressing until people start putting them in motion. Candidates used them to try and get votes then sold them out as soon as they realised it was always going to be a two horse race.
Exactly. They all jumped behind the most centrist dude they could the moment they saw a small opening, its almost like they didn't really believe the stuff they were spouting. I can understand in the general, if a centrist guy wins, endorse and supporting him/her. But when you have a chance to get the things you supposedly believe in at least taken seriously, and you go the opposite way? Gimme a break. People only like talking about M4A and ensuring everyone has access to health care, or talking about how it'd be nice to help Zoomers/milenials out from under their crushing school debts, or any other progressive policy, when when the shit hits the road and its time to put up or shut up, democrats always fall behind what they think is "safe". Which is usually some boring, do nothing middle of the road guy.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is always the strangest take to me. How is Bernie, as a controversial politician, going to calm republicans down and turn them into reasonable people? 8 years of Obama made them into this. I can't imagine 4 years of Bernie.

That's part of how fucked American politics has become by the political right. Don't get it twisted: I don't even think a Sanders presidency would be one where we see any of his ideas enacted. But I believe the political momentum and desire for what he advocates to be supported by larger and larger people to occur when his ideas get obstructed by the GOP, and how the failure of them being enacted will only enhance support. Gun reform is an example of this, where people want more done as more massacres happen. Nobody tells Obama he sucks ass because gun reform wasn't done when America normalized the murdering of literal children which happened while he occupied the White House. Many people sympathize with him wanting to do something but couldn't, at least on that issue; he's a war criminal for murdering literal children in the Middle East, but he was clear enough he wasn't okay with it happening in American schools. I imagine that would happen with Sanders far, far, far more than Biden. That's because Biden isn't even trying to aim for anything of substance. He's given the show away that better things aren't possible, and that's before the PR talk to obfuscate that.

Biden has nothing that people can look at and say "we gotta fight for this" aside from getting rid of Donald Trump. That's really, really it. That one goal is his the centerpiece of his four year plan in office. In some respects, his vision beyond this is already a compromise, and it's a compromise that probably won't even get anywhere! I don't see that distinction happening with Sanders, and that's partly due to his audience being a large activist crowd. A Sanders administration will likely get nothing major done but at least the ideas are serious enough that people will normalize them in the hopes that they eventually get done. That is foolish if one considers the fact if they're not done, they're not done, but he's already done a great deal of normalizing those sorts of policies within the party already. Biden's vision just...stops the second Donald Trump is removed, and we're effectively told to self-quarantine for four years. There is zero instances of hope for a better tomorrow under Biden, and not even the fake "at least I tried" kind, either.

You cannot calm a party worse than ISIS, and this will be a statement I will stand by until the day I die. It's about trying to keep people engaged on issues, and there's very little argument Biden is even trying to do this besides "BEAT TRUMP." That's the bar.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trumpism wasn't caused by President Obama. He was a foil used for the anger that was being just injected directly into "working class" white people. Media especially just fueled that anger and resentment.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
One of the arguments Republicans used was that the Supreme Court was in danger and as a result, abortion, guns were under threat of a liberal court and Republicans held up their noses.

We need to push back, cause abortion, guns, M4A, a conservative court would absolutely wreck those laws.

I know you wanted Bernie, but if you don't vote Democrat in the general, if Trump gets 4 more years, the court is lost for 20 years. Wouldn't matter if we got a congressional sweep 8 years down the line if they strike down the laws nationalizing healthcare. Abortion already is on life support in many conservative states, you don't think the Court isn't gonna cut off the last lifelines for that? And guns....oof.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Of all the things you could give Joe shit for, picking this one is bizarre. Literally none of the Democrats want to repeal the Second Amendment, they want gun control. He's pushing back against the Republican lie that any kind of gun control is an attack on the Second Amendment. This screams "bubble" more than complaining about Warren saying she's a capitalist.

Also, Bernie is worse on guns.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things you could give Joe shit for, picking this one is bizarre. Literally none of the Democrats want to repeal the Second Amendment, they want gun control. He's pushing back against the Republican lie that any kind of gun control is an attack on the Second Amendment. This screams "bubble" more than complaining about Warren saying she's a capitalist.

Also, Bernie is worse on guns.

I'm not giving him shit for it, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy that if Bernie defensively blurted "I support the Second Amendment" people would be manufacturing it into some kind of issue.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a good thing, guaranteed more folks will like it because "he's telling it like it is". Man being a white man in this country is something else, Obama could never straight up tell someone they were full of shit no matter how true it was and how he felt it.
They wanted to get Obama out over mustard, him doing something like that? They would have dragged him out of the white house

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.