• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Violating the staff post in regards to metacommentary
Some people in this thread are infuriating. How well is your future dream President going to get things done when the Supreme Court is 7-2 for decades?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The narratives in this thread are really something...

Biden can't beat Trump - even though the polls show otherwise.
Bernie would do better against Trump - even though he's likely to get destroyed within his own party during these primaries.
Biden will get destroyed by Trump in debates - even though Trump is a terrible debater.

Seriously, WTF is going on in this thread?

I agree the first two don't make sense, but I don't think the third one is necessarily widely off the mark. It's not that Trump is a good debater, it's that he's an entertainer and Biden is not. Trump can turn those debates into a circus and he's king at this game. Biden can counter that with good comedic timing and effective sound bites, but it's not easy.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck is encouraging progressives to say home. It doesn't apply to me and it CERTAINLY doesn't apply to the poster who started this conversation who outright stated that they are focusing their PROGRESSIVE efforts on local fucking elections.
I don't know which conservative site would be down to hear any of those options.

You and he are making excuses for non-voting for Biden. "Stay home" is clearly meant as shorthand for not voting for Biden in the general, should he be the nominee against Trump.

I said I think that's fucking stupid and I stand by it. Even if it weren't somebody as bad as Trump, who has directly caused more misery than *any* Democrat would, not voting the best of the available options in a wing state is always fucking stupid. You are justifying non-voting by progressives if the nominee isn't progressive enough. If enough people stay home like they did last time, that will mean

1) continued barbaric treatment of migrants and asylum seekers
2) more SC placements, ensuring long-term erosion of other progressive efforts. The Voting Rights Act has been gutted by the SC, making is that much harder for Blue-trending states to flip. Gerrymandering on a partisan basis has been upheld, keeping margins in legislaures more conservative and giving moderates undue influence as they are beholden to their district maps.
3) SC decisions continue to go against labor/unions.
4) What healthcare protections we did get from the ACA are likely to be further undermined if not completely thrown out. It doesn't go far enough by a long ways, but it saves lives and there's every sign of it being overturned by the court. New legislation is an imperative.

If Biden is the nominee and you are progressive in a swing state, not voting for him is fucking stupid from a strategic standpoint. It sets the whole movement back years.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that thread about that video being taken down and if there's anything I find hilarious about this election cycle it's the perception that our staff, made up of incredibly diverse, multinational selection of people, is biased against leftists on the forum. What a knee slapper. I'm not going to get into the political leanings of individual members because that's personal info, but fucking LOL at them acting in bad faith against leftists.
And how many of them moderate discussions about US politics?

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
In other words, there is no such thing as Bernie or Bust. It's Bernie or Trump for them.

BernieBust was always a fucking nothingburger Russian hashtag.
For all the whinging about Bernie fanatics supposedly having no fucking sense long term thinking the vast majority of us have always gone out and voted for whatever lukewarm clown show is the front runner for the Democratic presidential election. I've been voting since I was of age to vote. Not gonna stop now (unless the Bloomberg ends up being true.)

Why I give a shit about the guy so much is because all my life I had to vote for candidates that consistently has decades of history passing, doctoring, or founding bills that have taken a massive shit on people like me for no reason other than racism and because they can get away with it.

Bernie? For the first time here's a dude who has stood up for what's right even when he looked terrible for it because it was a moral right and not a fucking game of political favor-ability. If that pisses people off here than so be it. I don't give a fuck. He finally put this conversation into the public dialogue and I'll carry that torch supporting local politicians with the same drive as him for as long as I live.

I'll hold my vomit and 'vote blue no matter who' because I don't need even more kick in the ribs than usual if I can help it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
And how many of them moderate discussions about US politics?

I'm not a part of the staff anymore so I can't say for certain, but modding is always an all hands on deck type of thing. There will always be people more comfortable with some subjects than others, but that's true of anything.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies, based my comment on what I've seen and I haven't seen these polls, I'm curious are they recent?

I think the first poll in the February Primary thread showed that Sanders had the staggering majority of members for him. If you search the threadmarks in that thread I'm pretty sure Poodlestrike saved the results.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The narratives in this thread are really something...

Biden can't beat Trump - even though the polls show otherwise.
Bernie would do better against Trump - even though he's likely to get destroyed within his own party during these primaries.
Biden will get destroyed by Trump in debates - even though Trump is a terrible debater.

Seriously, WTF is going on in this thread?

The self defeatist and weakness is something I only see on this forum. Turnout has been way higher for every election including primaries after 2016. Why? Not sure. Maybe some diehard progressives dont want to believe someone like Biden could get high turnout, despite Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, 2018, the 2020 primaries, etc.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The self defeatist and weakness is something I only see on this forum. Turnout has been way higher for every election including primaries after 2016. Why? Not sure. Maybe some diehard progressives dont want to believe someone like Biden could get high turnout, despite Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, 2018, the 2020 primaries, etc.

This is true. The amount of energy I've seen people in places that aren't Era for Biden of all people ever since ST has been something to see.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people underestimate what will happen when the media immediately turns on Joe Biden as soon as the primary is over.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Violating the staff post in regards to metacommentary
This forum nearly ground to a halt like two or three months ago because of the mod team's questionable treatment of trans folks and related issues. And needed a meeting with the black community like a month ago. It's still fucking stickied lol.

Let's not forget how they allowed the mockery and abuse of Etika's mental health to go on in threads that documented his obvious unwell state, too. If we were to be rude yet honest, a great deal of this forum is "feel good leftism," so long as it doesn't shake the boat of comfortability. A real "leftist" take is understanding if you're not shook you're not seeing the depth of suffering and injustice that practically breathes around oneself.

How many people, on this very forum, are foolish enough to think the dystopia in America is just rooted in Donald Trump? I fear a too large body of people. That's part of the feel good behavior: thinking if we just get rid of him it ends. Depending on who and how we get rid of him, we may just as likely sow the seeds to see a successor of his come in. In fact, I believe a Biden presidency would do just that, because by aiming to be a time freeze, you don't actually solve or change the conditions and states of affairs that allowed a neonationalist to be normalized; you treat him like a meteor that crash landed onto the planet. This is the whole "return to normal" nonsense in action, because people actually believe this shit. It's not a slogan for the white moderate, to trick them. People think May 2015, a month before Trump went down the golden escalator, is the target to aim for. This was a period of profound misery.

And for the record, as I've said in the past, there's also a problem when the oldest person running is the one the youth have faith in. It speaks to an entire body politic of disease, not just an Orange Man being bad. Leftist criticism of it has often been the harshest yet most honest method of critical pedagogy we have on the matter.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly: I'm not American, so I know that Biden is not 'left' by any real measure. By European standards, is basically close to the old classical 'right'.

Your country is basically a dystopian neoliberal nightmare and you couldn't make me vote for someone like Biden in your life or anyone that wouldn't try to change that into (at least) 'just' a social democracy. Of course, I live in a country with free universal healthcare, proper public schools and actual working rights like paid sick leave (I just learned today you don't have obligatory paid sick leave, like WTF). And that's just now, used ton be much better. So I can't even fathom living in a country without all that and not rioting the streets and literally going full 'eat the rich' mode.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
If that's considered esoteric activist speak, then I have no hope for this country in any capacity.

That's typical of today's American left. They give up way too easily. And for some reason that is beyond me people seriously think that Bernie Sanders is the best person to build the movement around. The sooner Bernie gets dumped and leftists rally behind a leader that is actually charismatic enough to attract broad support the better.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: ignoring staff post with regards to metacommentary and hostility

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people underestimate what will happen when the media immediately turns on Joe Biden as soon as the primary is over.

Weren't a bunch of folks here already complaining about the media being biased against Bernie? What the hell happens if he became the nominee? How does this differentiate Biden or make him less likely to win relative to Bernie?

I have no idea how this point is argued by some with a straight face.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if anything they're going to prop Biden up as a return to sanity while the world falls apart.
2016 was also a referendum on sanity and decency.

And again, after the media turns on Biden and plays clips of his more concerning moments 24/7 or refuses to push back against whatever AG Barr has in store for him, who knows how many moderate voters will see him as a return to sanity?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we were to be rude yet honest, a great deal of this forum is "feel good leftism," so long as it doesn't shake the boat of comfortability. A real "leftist" take is understanding if you're not shook you're not seeing the depth of suffering and injustice that practically breathes around oneself.
Quoting for fucking truth.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This election is quickly turning into 1992/2008 3.0. We're facing down a recession. Trump is historically unpopular with only the economy keeping him barely afloat. Biden is literally generic democrat voting-wise over the course of his career, for better or for worse.

Bernie's team never cracked the code for how to tailor their message to the mainstream left

I was surprised to see Fang critical of the Sanders' campaign "turn out new voters" strategy a few weeks back after IA/NH. I wonder if he's had these reservations a while but just didn't have the ability to say them without getting backlash for it by the audience his work is aimed at.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
FWIW I've seen a lot more sexism from leftists than liberals on this forum recently. Wondering when we'll have a discussion with mods about that...

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
2016 was also a referendum on sanity and decency.

And again, after the media turns on Biden and plays clips of his more concerning moments 24/7 or refuses to push back against whatever AG Barr has in store for him, who knows how many moderate voters will see him as a return to sanity?

I dunno man the stock market is crashing, there's a pandemic, hard to see anyone looking at Trump like yeah let's ride this out.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't a bunch of folks here already complaining about the media being biased against Bernie? What the hell happens if he became the nominee? How does this differentiate Biden or make him less likely to win relative to Bernie?

Attacks against Bernie are a lot easier to defend than those against Biden. It's why he was able to do so well despite fighting against the GOP, the Democratic establishment, and the media. Like he blew out Nevada despite Chris Matthews comparing him to Hitler, you know?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Attacks against Bernie are a lot easier to defend than those against Biden. It's why he was able to do so well despite fighting against the GOP, the Democratic establishment, and the media. Like he blew out Nevada despite Chris Matthews comparing him to Hitler, you know?

He's doing so well he's going to get even less delegates than he did in 2016.

What a winner!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
How many people, on this very forum, are foolish enough to think the dystopia in America is just rooted in Donald Trump? I fear a too large body of people. That's part of the feel good behavior: thinking if we just get rid of him it ends. Depending on who and how we get rid of him, we may just as likely sow the seeds to see a successor of his come in. In fact, I believe a Biden presidency would do just that, because by aiming to be a time freeze, you don't actually solve or change the conditions and states of affairs that allowed a neonationalist to be normalized; you treat him like a meteor that crash landed onto the planet. This is the whole "return to normal" nonsense in action, because people actually believe this shit. It's not a slogan for the white moderate, to trick them. People think May 2015, a month before Trump went down the golden escalator, is the target to aim for. This was a period of profound misery.

It's MAGA for people who find overt racism uncomfortable. It's just as much about romanticizing a globally abusive dynamic, just quietly instead of loudly. Nothing about Trump is really all that special, not even the depths of depravity he sinks himself too in the end, but he is more overt about his tactics than the rest of his ilk, which is part of how they've gotten on for as long as they had. The calmer but equally nefarious fascist that people presume will follow Trump will likely run as a Democrat. Hell, the run of Bloomberg shows how close we are to this happening already.

Anyone who thinks that the biggest scandal of the Obama administration is the tan suit and not the continuation of wars; the deportation policies; or the ill-considered emergency bailout bill for the banks that came with no stipulations of oversight, accountability, or public control, is wrong. Straight up.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

you do realise that these two narratives don't contradict each other right? basically if Bernie can win the primary after already facing heavy media bias against him, then he's clearly already prepared for the coverage he'll get after the primary. Biden hasn't faced anywhere near the level of negative press as Bernie so will face a massive increase once the right start actually giving a shit about him after the primary if he wins

Status
Not open for further replies.