• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. If non-voters are the reason Trump is elected, then A) those non-voters should be spoken to so they actually vote, and/or B) nominate a better candidate. Simple as that.

We have nothing to fear though! Joe Biden is incredibly inspiring and electable, so there shouldn't be any trouble at all come November. :)

This is the attitude that led to decreased turnout and Trump, exactly.

I blame non-voters for where we are now, and anyone not voting, in my eyes, is saying that they think Trump and Biden are the same.

Let me help with this-- you are NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING THE PERSON YOU VOTED FOR HAS DONE OR WILL DO. You are picking from a set of (admitedly limited) outcomes and you pick the best of those. Not choosing does not absolve you of blame for the outcome. Not voting is a choice as well.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad to see you Bernie supporters defending non-voters. I know they're Sanders most important backers and it shows!

926ba383ee474f4cdae2712c648be1d5.gif

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'll be voting in down-ballot races like I've done since I turned 18. Ofc, only for candidates I agree with. There are far more battles than just the Executive, and unlike the GE, I actually believe that local election results actually matter.

This is my thinking as well. Malcolm X said:

A ballot is like a bullet. You don't throw your ballots until you see a target, and if that target is not within your reach, keep your ballot in your pocket.

In 2020 the target is not within our reach. But as you say state and local elections matter, and if you're lucky you have some good options there to cast a vote for. I'm going to be a lot more selective myself moving forward, with voting at all levels of government.

Im officially in eat the rich mode.

Welcome!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, look at the endorsements from Harris and Booker - both of them criticized Biden on stage for his racist, backwards policies and still came out for him. Eventually it always comes down to party over people.

It's kind of wild to see so many people and cases made that Biden represents everything wrong about politics of the last few decades, and the people who have suffered from that are actually lining up for him.

The return to "normal" y'all. Hope you all like a four year time freeze.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
People who choose not to vote in the general election are not notching 'one extra vote for Trump'.
For all the chiding and berating posters are doing in here for being negative against Joe Biden and propagating dangerous rhetoric this is equally bad. It takes on the assumption that Joe Biden is fighting an UPHILL BATTLE against Trump.

We don't know who a non-voter would of voted for in the general. Right now 70% of non-voters could be Republicans that kind of like Trump and their participation could mean a landslide win. They could also be kind of for Biden and swing it the other way.

They are simply a non entity, and if voter turnout is so low that 100k votes in a few swing states alters the entire general election than the country as a whole has a lot more issues to address than a couple thousand AT BEST in a few states choosing to sit their ass home on voting day.

Preach this all you want on conservative sites. Encouraging progressives and liberals to stay home is fucking stupid.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that thread about that video being taken down and if there's anything I find hilarious about this election cycle it's the perception that our staff, made up of incredibly diverse, multinational selection of people, is biased against leftists on the forum. What a knee slapper. I'm not going to get into the political leanings of individual members because that's personal info, but fucking LOL at them acting in bad faith against leftists.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ever think about why those people are non-voters in the first place?

By not voting they're telling everyone their opinion doesn't matter so...no? I mean, even someone just writing down "Mickey Mouse" for the presidential choice as a protest vote is something I can partially respect. Not voting at all? Nah, you clearly don't value your own opinion, so why should I?

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
We're responding to someone who won't vote for Biden but would have voted for someone else. That selective refusal is +1 for Trump. Objectively.

For that particular user sure, but non-voters in general? It's a toss up for all parties involved.
At least that user in question is an active voter in some capacity. They admitted to the fact that the will divert their energy to local elections which are often where more immediate and positive changes occur in the event that a good person gets a seat.

There are many more voters however who flat out do nothing and they aren't for Bernie, Ron Paul, Pete, etc.

This also comes back around to another observation-- PAGES back posters were saying that candidates aren't OWED votes they didn't earn in the eyes of a potential voter. The user in question doesn't believe Joe Biden gets his votes because of things Biden actually did.

If your only comeback to this is to say 'But Trump!', than what happens when you are confronted with a similar user in a general election that doesn't involve Donald Trump? What will be the talking point then?

A guy as blatantly dogshit as Trump is a once in a lifetime event.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who choose not to vote in the general election are not notching 'one extra vote for Trump'.
For all the chiding and berating posters are doing in here for being negative against Joe Biden and propagating dangerous rhetoric this is equally bad. It takes on the assumption that Joe Biden is fighting an UPHILL BATTLE against Trump.

We don't know who a non-voter would of voted for in the general. Right now 70% of non-voters could be Republicans that kind of like Trump and their participation could mean a landslide win. They could also be kind of for Biden and swing it the other way.

They are simply a non entity, and if voter turnout is so low that 100k votes in a few swing states alters the entire general election than the country as a whole has a lot more issues to address than a couple thousand AT BEST in a few states choosing to sit their ass home on voting day.
Trump's 2016 campaign aimed to get Dem voters to stay home while activating racist nonvoters who normally didn't vote. Strategies to do this via targeting algorithms were a big part of what Cambridge Analytica/Russia did with the hijacked Facebook data.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: ignoring staff post with regards to metacommentary
So this thread is now just a safe haven to break the rules and shit on bernie voters with former mods bringing in off topic discussions with meta commentary in here now huh? Very cool

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
By not voting they're telling everyone their opinion doesn't matter so...no? I mean, even someone just writing down "Mickey Mouse" for the presidential choice as a protest vote is something I can partially respect. Not voting at all? Nah, you clearly don't value your own opinion, so why should I?

Maybe their opinion is that they don't want to vote, and you should respect that. It isn't a requirement by anyone to participate in a process they don't feel welcome in.

Also, please cut back on the vitriolic responses, please. They are completely unnecessary.

Dec 12, 2017
It's kind of wild to see so many people and cases made that Biden represents everything wrong about politics of the last few decades, and the people who have suffered from that are actually lining up for him.

The return to "normal" y'all. Hope you all like a four year time freeze.
As opposed to what??? Four more years of Trump??The man that's downplaying an global pandemic? Give me that time freeze.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
So this thread is now just a safe haven to break the rules and shit on bernie voters with former mods bringing in off topic discussions with meta commentary in here now huh? Very cool

what? this thread has consistently been anti Biden and anti Biden supporters since it was started.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe their opinion is that they don't want to vote, and you should respect that. It isn't a requirement by anyone to participate in a process they don't feel welcome in.

Also, please cut back on the vitriolic responses, please. They are completely unnecessary.

Then I better not hear them whine and complain if Trump wins a second term and stacks the SC, because then I'll just laugh in their face.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Preach this all you want on conservative sites. Encouraging progressives and liberals to stay home is fucking stupid.

Who the fuck is encouraging progressives to say home. It doesn't apply to me and it CERTAINLY doesn't apply to the poster who started this conversation who outright stated that they are focusing their PROGRESSIVE efforts on local fucking elections.
I don't know which conservative site would be down to hear any of those options.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Violating the staff post in regards to metacommentary
what? this thread has consistently been anti Biden and anti Biden supporters since it was started.

There can be 10 anti Biden posts and 1 anti Bernie post and that's the one some people will see because that's the one they have a problem with.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No but seriously, you all need to show up in November or we're all going to die.
A Biden presidency leads to all of us living horrible lives just as surely as one where Trump won. His climate change plan, if he even implements it, is the lowest rated by a large margin compared to other people who ran in this primary. He also has no plans for the impending and catastrophic student debt crisis.

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that thread about that video being taken down and if there's anything I find hilarious about this election cycle it's the perception that our staff, made up of incredibly diverse, multinational selection of people, is biased against leftists on the forum. What a knee slapper. I'm not going ot get into the political leanings of individual members because that's personal info, but fucking LOL at them acting in bad faith against leftists.

Right, now look at how many leftists have been permanently banned and you have posters in this very thread who have justified warcrimes (Kirblar), or said outright racist bullshit (adam), or VectorPrime (anti-semitism) and so on and so forth. They get a few weeks off. Apparently calling out moderation is enough to get nuked, but racism isn't? Give me a break mate.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For that particular user sure, but non-voters in general? It's a toss up for all parties involved.
At least that user in question is an active voter in some capacity. They admitted to the fact that the will divert their energy to local elections which are often where more immediate and positive changes occur in the event that a good person gets a seat.

There are many more voters however who flat out do nothing and they aren't for Bernie, Ron Paul, Pete, etc.

This also comes back around to another observation-- PAGES back posters were saying that candidates aren't OWED votes they didn't earn in the eyes of a potential voter. The user in question doesn't believe Joe Biden gets his votes because of things Biden actually did.

If your only comeback to this is to say 'But Trump!', than what happens when you are confronted with a similar user in a general election that doesn't involve Donald Trump? What will be the talking point then?

A guy as blatantly dogshit as Trump is a once in a lifetime event.

The claim of a non vote being a vote for Trump isn't made in the case of people who never vote or never intended to vote regardless of candidate. They don't matter. The claim is specifically for people who would vote for the right democratic candidate, but not this one. That's +1 Trump.

Dec 12, 2017
A Biden presidency leads to all of us living horrible lives just as surely as one where Trump won. His climate change plan, if he even implements it, is the lowest rated by a large margin compared to other people who ran in this primary. He also has no plans for the impending and catastrophic student debt crisis.
Please post evidence. While not as good as the progressives that ran, his plan is light-years better than what Trump plans to do. I will never take anyone who says Biden is just as bad as Trump seriously.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
As opposed to what??? Four more years of Trump??The man that's downplaying an global pandemic? Give me that time freeze.

The time freeze probably means acts of austerity to punish those at the bottom rungs of society who need our help. Don't forget that, please.

Never did I say Biden is worse or equal to the neonationalist in the White House. But he's not good either. This current climate speaks to more of what Sanders, Warren, and Yang have suggested as policies, not Biden's. His climate policy is the sort of time freeze that promises disaster, too.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Are you paying any attention to Trump right now and how he is handling the coronovirus? A 150 year old Biden would be an improvement. This false equivocation between Donald Trump and lifelong democrat is absurd.

Oct 27, 2017
Right, now look at how many leftists have been permanently banned and you have posters in this very thread who have justified warcrimes (Kirblar), or said outright racist bullshit (adam), or VectorPrime (anti-semitism) and so on and so forth. They get a few weeks off. Apparently calling out moderation is enough to get nuked, but racism isn't? Give me a break mate.
There's been numerous posters in this thread spreading thinly veiled racism while insinuating people who voted for Biden are low information voters and have happily propagated right wing propaganda ad nauseam because it slanders Biden but I didn't see you outraged about that.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Trying to both sides Biden and Trump when one of them is literally trying to paint the Coronavirus as a Liberal Conspiracy always makes me laugh.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The claim of a non vote being a vote for Trump isn't made in the case of people who never vote or never intended to vote regardless of candidate. They don't matter. The claim is specifically for people who would vote for the right democratic candidate, but not this one. That's +1 Trump.

In other words, there is no such thing as Bernie or Bust. It's Bernie or Trump for them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that thread about that video being taken down and if there's anything I find hilarious about this election cycle it's the perception that our staff, made up of incredibly diverse, multinational selection of people, is biased against leftists on the forum. What a knee slapper. I'm not going to get into the political leanings of individual members because that's personal info, but fucking LOL at them acting in bad faith against leftists.

"Liberal" and "leftist" are not synonyms.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to both sides Biden and Trump when one of them is literally trying to paint the Corona virus as a Liberal Conspiracy always makes me laugh.
Are you paying any attention to Trump right now and how he is handling the coronovirus? A 150 year old Biden would be an improvement. This false equivocation between Donald Trump and lifelong democrat is absurd.
I don't know how Biden would handle it any better. Without solving the fundamental issue that people wouldn't be able to afford self-isolation due to outrageous health care costs and lack of worker protection, the virus would still rapidly spread. I guess he wouldn't call it a hoax though.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Violating the staff post in regards to metacommentary

This forum nearly ground to a halt like two or three months ago because of the mod team's questionable treatment of trans folks and related issues. And needed a meeting with the black community like a month ago. It's still fucking stickied lol.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This isn't even remotely true rofl

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I would imagine a Biden presidency would have more competent and less evil people working in it.

Spearheaded by a stale gaffe machine that occasionally look confused.

Still a better option than Trump.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
The vast majority of this forum are libs so by sheer statistical probability, most of the mod/admin team are going to be libs too. And libs are historically not kind to leftists and the way the majority of this site, including the mods, conduct themselves does nothing to suggest this isn't the case on here too

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's worth the energy to challenge busters. Either they're come around or they won't. They're not going to suddenly decide to vote once people point out the obvious. They probably already know the obvious. You're just incvreasing your own frustration, but if you don't mind that, then have at it Iguess.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine a Biden presidency would have more competent and less evil people working in it.

Spearheaded by a stale gaffe machine that occasionally look confused.

Still a better option than Trump.
Biden's team floated potential cabinet picks today and almost all of them are former bankers. So yeah they'll be more competent I guess?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Beto on guns and now possibly Dimon for treasury seems to paint a pretty clear picture that Biden will float all the worst people possible. Maybe we really will get Biden/Kaine or Biden/Romney.
Democrats love grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory, so it wouldn't be all that surprising.
I'm so glad to see you Bernie supporters defending non-voters. I know they're Sanders most important backers and it shows!
And arrogance like this will surely get nonvoters - who are often marginalised - to engage in civil society.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The vast majority of this forum are libs so by sheer statistical probability, most of the mod/admin team are going to be libs too. And libs are historically not kind to leftists and the way the majority of this site, including the mods, conduct themselves does nothing to suggest this isn't the case on here too
I'd also point out if were going off of how this forum votes, liberals aren't even the majority of posters here. Theyre a much smaller group of people. Who just get special treatment (IE like getting a leftist video critiquing biden locked) while ex mods come in and shit talk anyone who has an issue with it in a primary threa that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Jun 20, 2019
80 to 90 percent of the forum have indicated they would prefer Sanders based on polls in these threads. That's the best data we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.