• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
0729acf2-c91d-4f59-8c0jzs.jpeg

Worthwhile endorsement for Joe. Especially in Cali.😁

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
In the future it might pay forecasters to be extra skeptical of campaigns who rely so much on nonvoters to do the thing they don't do.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders's support is collapsing among people who would, in theory, benefit the most from his proposals.

I'm not an expert or anything, but that seems to suggest to me that those people simply do not trust him with win the election and/or to actually implement any of those policies. Pretty striking, really.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I hope these polls hold true. The sooner this primary is over, the better.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While his result in MI will be disappointing, that's where his Dem base is (rust belt states). It'd be pointless for him to go to the South.
It's likely going to be pointless for him to campaign anywhere soon if the polling holds up.

Bernie having 4 years to try and course-correct in the South and managing to change absolutely nothing about his approach, resulting in the same thing happen again is why he's failing there a second time. He was warned in 2016 after SC by his internal AA outreach team that his margins with black voters needed to be improved or he couldn't win, and he responded by running away. When the going gets tough, Bernie seems to get going.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders's support is collapsing among people who would, in theory, benefit the most from his proposals.

I'm not an expert or anything, but that seems to suggest to me that those people simply do not trust him with win the election and/or to actually implement any of those policies. Pretty striking, really.

As the field has shrunk, it mostly seems like Biden's just gobbled up all of the non-Bernie support.

Bernie's inability to expand his base as it's become a two-person race is definitely striking... I think it's less an issue of trust, though, than one centered on the perceived exclusionary message of the Bernie campaign. Running against the DNC doesn't inherently appeal to Democrats. The "Bernie bro" meme could be alienating to women who aren't on board already, perhaps?

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to feel like the amoral gay guy bit is getting out of hand. He is weasely, though. His approach to politics puts a lot of people off.
Yeah, it's a bit much. I'm not a Pete guy but seeing people push the homophobic "gay men are amoral sociopaths" trope is really not great.
I just realized I don't know if Pete took on a combat role in Afghanistan or not

He says it was "not intended to be a combat or maneuver role" but that some of his work involved guarding vehicle movements which is just so delightfully ambiguous.
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here. Is it to imply that you agree with the serial killer comparison? Something else?

Oct 31, 2017

Yup. I was talking with my parents the other day who are strong Biden supporters and they brought up the same thing. They like Bernie and his ideas but they don't think he'll actually be able to defeat Trump or get anything done with Congress if he's elected. It's a serious perception issue that I don't think the Sanders campaign has been able to address at all. Not everyone who is voting Biden is voting because they are crazy for Biden or think Bernie has bad ideas, a lot of people just want someone that they feel can win. Right now Bernie doesn't look like he can win at all.

Last edited:

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Whatever happens tomorrow there should still be a debate, as we need to see how Biden fares in a one on one debate.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying bigotry
If that's the logic then that just makes me question why Bernie feels Joe Rogan is more compatible with his platform than Jim Clyburn
Clyburn literally took shit loads of money from the Pharmaceutical industry. Joe Rogan is just a stand in for the everyman. I don't see how its hard to understand or see the difference.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I was talking with my parents the other day who are strong Biden supporters and they brought up the same thing. They like Bernie and his ideas but they don't think he'll actually be able to defeat Trump or getting anything done with Congress if he's elected. It's a serious perception issue that I don't think the Sanders campaign has been able to address at all. Not everyone who is voting Biden is voting because they are crazy for Biden or think Bernie has bad ideas, a lot of people just want someone that they feel can win. Right now Bernie doesn't look like he can win at all.
Yeah. What is even more indicative of this is that people who support M4A are still voting for Biden because they think he has a better chance of actually implementing tangible healthcare reform!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
While his result in MI will be disappointing, that's where his Dem base is (rust belt states). It'd be pointless for him to go to the South.
Maybe he should have tried to his expand his base to include the South so he wouldn't have lost twice in a row for the exact same reasons.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I was talking with my parents the other day who are strong Biden supporters and they brought up the same thing. They like Bernie and his ideas but they don't think he'll actually be able to defeat Trump or getting anything done with Congress if he's elected. It's a serious perception issue that I don't think the Sanders campaign has been able to address at all. Not everyone who is voting Biden is voting because they are crazy for Biden or think Bernie has bad ideas, a lot of people just want someone that they feel can win. Right now Bernie doesn't look like he can win at all.

It's more than perception, really! His non-voters haven't turned out (except arguably in Nevada).

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
It's striking his biggest groups are literally the ones least likely to vote

Yup, mentioned this before ST results that his core supporters are people who don't vote. May have been Kyra (or may not have been), that thought building around those that don't normally vote is something that could/ should be done to win or something like that (didn't double check). The answer continues to be no, as you can't win with non-voters. You can have 100 percent resounding support and favorability with non voters and still get smoked like it seems Bernie is about to.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Clyburn literally took shit loads of money from the Pharmaceutical industry. Joe Rogan is just a stand in for the everyman. I don't see how its hard to understand or see the difference.
I dunno I kind of take umbrage to the notion that the "everyman" is racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic or in any other way bigoted by default.

Clyburn is the most powerful (elected) black Democrat in the country, full stop. The most pathetic thing is Bernie didn't even try to win his endorsement. If he tried and failed, that'd be one thing.

Also you can't go from "Rogan is the most popular podcaster in the country" to "well actually Rogan is just an average schmuck," like come on, man.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden sucks but he's going to win the primary. You can either continue to sulk and try to bring Biden down, or you can work to influence Biden and the DNC to avoid the mistakes of the past and to push things toward the left. Guess which option will help end Trump!
Well said. I've never been a fan but after seeing his ST performance, my hope is that we're looking at another '18-style wave. Here's hoping people put their energy into defeating Trump and supporting Biden as they push him leftward.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A rich white celebrity with shitty beliefs on race, gender, etc. is a stand in for the "everyman" opposed to a black politician.

Gee, that's familiar.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's a bit much. I'm not a Pete guy but seeing people push the homophobic "gay men are amoral sociopaths" trope is really not great.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here. Is it to imply that you agree with the serial killer comparison? Something else?
What "gay men are amoral sociopaths" trope? What are you trying to do here?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yup, mentioned this before ST results that his core supporters are people who don't vote. May have been Kyra (or may not have been), that thought building around those that don't normally vote is something that could/ should be done to win or something like that (didn't double check). The answer continues to be no, as you can't win with non-voters. You can have 100 percent resounding support and favorability with non voters and still get smoked like it seems Bernie is about to.

Youth are never going to vote until politicians make it something you can make look sexy on your Instagram.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Did canceling the single event he had planned in Mississippi so he could have two more (for a total of four) in MI really help his numbers in Michigan all that much.

Oct 31, 2017
It's more than perception, really! His non-voters haven't turned out (except arguably in Nevada).
True. He built his campaign around the youth, and the youth don't vote unfortunately. At least a lot of lessons will be learned from his defeat. Many books will be written about Biden's surge and the mistakes the Sander's campaign made during this election.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Bernie should run 3rd party.

Be honest, it's going to be a shouting game on whose worse.

Theodore Roosevelt didn't give up after loosing the GOP nomination. He ran on anti corruption that was later popularised by democrats.

We would learning nothing again for repeating 2016

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
A rich white celebrity with shitty beliefs on race, gender, etc. is a stand in for the "everyman" opposed to a black politician.

Gee, that's familiar.
you can disagree with the corporate involvement thing and ignore the context of how rogan's audience sees him but there was a clear logic to the comparison and it was descriptive and not prescriptive.
given this post though it seems like you're more interested in implying people with different priorities than you are harboring secret racial resentment

I think you should just come out and say it because even though its a bad look either way at least it's more honest

Status
Not open for further replies.