• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What reason would some of Bernie supporters go after AOC?

Because she's expressing solidarity with Warren, I guess? And Warren didn't endorse Bernie so she's the enemy? Or something?

Yeah I feel like I'm in an alternate universe because I'm defending Biden a lot recently when I don't like him very much at all lol. Between the unsubstantiated claims of dementia and how Bernie's loss was everyone's fault but his it's been a weird week.

I keep having people shit on me for "supporting" Biden just because I don't believe in Bernie. It's insanity.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel like I'm in an alternate universe because I'm defending Biden a lot recently when I don't like him very much at all lol. Between the unsubstantiated claims of dementia and how Bernie's loss was everyone's fault but his it's been a weird week.

Same. I just want to vote for a progressive in the Primary and then get on with the GE.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What reason would some of Bernie supporters go after AOC?
Because she dared liked a video that had Elizabeth Warren in it. These people want to win and they don't understand why it might be a bad idea to attack someone who has Bernie's back 24/7, shares his politics etc. just because she liked a fucking SNL video with another progressive in it.

Wild.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
it's giving me "Hillary is LITERALLY dying she can't serve" vibes from 2016. It's just desperation by Bernie supporters. Which is sad, since I'm for Bernie. But damn it's annoying as all hell. I've accepted that Biden will probably be the nominee. Diehards need to get out of their bubble and smell the coffee. I've always hated armchair devs, doctors, etc. though.

I need the DNC to actively not shit the bed this time. on everything I love.

The VP is a minority woman, leftist (or just further left of Biden) , 37-50yo. Mend the party with ticket. Bring the coalition in.

The VP is absolutely crucial this time, this is the person who will succeed in 2024. Biden is a one term president. We need someone who will build recognition to go into that election season with results from the Admin. God knows what Repub ghoul emerges in 2024..

The DNC HAS to fucking diversify, its incredibly painful how slow they have been in this regard when it comes to National figures. The way Dems look on the State level is the same way they need to look when they field candidates for their races.
I'd honesty pin Hillary's VP pick as a reason she lost in 2016 -- Tim Kaine was the most boring person to back her up. Created no excitement for a candidate that was already pretty boring.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure what Sciz meant when they posted that, obviously (I'm not them), but I took

To be that Biden can just lean-in to the fact that he has a stutter, and explain that changing words mid-sentence, or pausing for longer-than-usual is his way of coping, just like it's the way many people cope with a stutter.
Oh okay, I took that way too literally and became terrified haha. It's probably best he's owning it, I agree.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Because she's expressing solidarity with Warren, I guess? And Warren didn't endorse Bernie so she's the enemy? Or something?

I keep having people shit on me for "supporting" Biden just because I don't believe in Bernie. It's insanity.
Because she dared liked a video that had Elizabeth Warren in it. These people want to win and they don't understand why it might be a bad idea to attack someone who has Bernie's back 24/7, shares his politics etc. just because she liked a fucking SNL video with another progressive in it.

Wild.
Because she enjoyed a video of Warren doing a funny skit. Yes. Literally that is why.

What in the fucking world.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Wild.
This was very depressing to watch. She literally displays the emotional intelligence the movement needs to grow and gets purity tested by random bros on Twitter. Hopefully she can whip them in shape. I have a lot of hope for her but I wonder if sexism will do her in.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This was very depressing to watch. She literally displays the emotional intelligence the movement needs to grow and gets purity tested by random bros on Twitter. Hopefully she can whip them in shape. I have a lot of hope for her but I wonder if sexism will do her in.

While I don't align with her politically, I 100% respect the passion and doggedness she has shown. I hope she continues to stay on the scene and hope she don't let people tear her down.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I would hope she'll stick around. We need more progressive voices in the country in general but we especially need progressives who know how to work with others.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
User Warned: Inflammatory generalization
What in the fucking world.

There are 2 days until very important votes and Warren hasn't endorsed the only candidate who is even close to her stated values. She stuck in the race when it was clear she couldn't win. Bernie supports are not happy with her for that and other reasons, so to see a video of her going on SNL yesterday and making jokes about not endorsing anyone it is infuriating. That is why people are upset with AOC for tweeting that clip and approving of it.

That being said who the fuck knows where her supporters are going to go at this point. I imagine the ones who actually cared about the politics will go to Bernie and the rest of the white women will go to Biden.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 days until very important votes and Warren hasn't endorsed the only candidate who is even close to her stated values. She stuck in the race when it was clear she couldn't win. Bernie supports are not happy with her for that and other reasons, so to see a video of her going on SNL yesterday and making jokes about not endorsing anyone it is infuriating. That is why people are upset with AOC for tweeting that clip and approving of it.

That being said who the fuck knows where her supporters are going to go at this point. I imagine the ones who actually cared about the politics will go to Bernie and the rest of the white women will go to Biden.

Even if she endorsed him, her supporters won't all go in that direction, so your final point would remain regardless of her endorsement status.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be careful about justifying gross, mean-spirited and dickish behaviour, because pretty soon there will be no way Bernie can possibly win the nomination. At that point, there will be loud and repeated calls for him to drop out and endorse quickly to prevent disunity. If you're fine with people treating Bernie in much the same way as people are treating Warren (and by extension AOC), awesome.

Even if she endorsed him, her supporters won't all go in that direction, so your final point would remain regardless of her endorsement status.

Yeah, generally-accepted wisdom is that about half of her supporters go to Biden, regardless of endorsement. Also, there's a chance (a pretty good one, I think) Warren would endorse Biden in exchange for her wealth tax being part of his agenda.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
The debates don't matter. 2016 has taught us this. It literally doesn't matter if Biden forgets where he is midway through or Trump spends his time calling Ted Cruz's wife ugly. The line is drawn and anybody who says they're undecided probably just doesn't want to admit they're voting for the bigger racist.

Oct 31, 2017
I think we just assume the black vote would lean Bernie's way cause of his history of consistently fighting for civil rights (black, gay, latinx, women, et al).

I'm sorry that we come across the way you suggest. I can see what u mean and can only offer a sincere apology from myself on behalf of myself for that shit... :/

Did anybody see the Reverand Jesse Jackson endorsement of Bernie?

Curious what our black members' thoughts and reactions are to that.

Hes obviously a killer sermon giver cause I was kinda crying by the end (but I'm real soft).
Thanks for the apology, I really appreciate it. I know most Bernie fans are good people so don't think I feel this way about most Bernie supporters. I know it's mostly the rowdy ones on the internet that say things like that. Pretty much all the Bernie supporters I've run into in real life are thoughtful and caring people, and that's because Bernie himself is a likable and nice guy. It's just a few of his surrogates and a few rotten eggs on the internet that are making him and his movement look hostile and condescending at times.

Oct 31, 2017
We can't control the shit the GOP spews

We can however, not have "allies" and "leftists" willingly spread them and attempt to legitimize conspiracy shit from the right.

This isn't really about protecting Biden, at all. It's about our own site and the fact that we have people rushing in to tell us about how Biden is losing his mind and linking the same alt-right twitter account with the same doctored video.

We control our own house, that's what's at play right now. It's a small piece of a larger pie.

And for me, this is about trying to get people who talk about being progressive not fucking act like school yard bullies in regards to things like stutters or speech issues in relation to legitimizing and acting like people who suffer from those things have degrading minds or some shit.
Bravo! Well said.

tenor.gif

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
The debates don't matter. 2016 has taught us this. It literally doesn't matter if Biden forgets where he is midway through or Trump spends his time calling Ted Cruz's wife ugly. The line is drawn and anybody who says they're undecided probably just doesn't want to admit they're voting for the bigger racist.

We need the numbers and historically we don't have them for a variety of reasons.

I'd be careful about justifying gross, mean-spirited and dickish behaviour, because pretty soon there will be no way Bernie can possibly win the nomination. At that point, there will be loud and repeated calls for him to drop out and endorse quickly to prevent disunity. If you're fine with people treating Bernie in much the same way as people are treating Warren (and by extension AOC), awesome.

Yeah, generally-accepted wisdom is that about half of her supporters go to Biden, regardless of endorsement. Also, there's a chance (a pretty good one, I think) Warren would endorse Biden in exchange for her wealth tax being part of his agenda.

I care about good policies and correct moral thinking that rises to the challenge of our times. Warren, Biden and Trump in various ways have shown none of that so fuck them. I am a dick to people who deserve it. Pretty normal considering the stakes. Which doesn't really matter anyways cause when Bernie can't win he will endorse Biden. Even if all his supporters didn't want him to. Hell he keeps talking about endorsing him in the primary which is a stupid move.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I care about good policies and correct moral thinking that rises to the challenge of our times. Warren, Biden and Trump in various ways have shown none of that so fuck them. I am a dick to people who deserve it.

Purity testing, the dictionary definition.

Nevermind that the chances of a Dem trifecta - and thus progressive legislation and SCOTUS nominees - increases substantially with Biden as the nominee; if it's not Bernie at the top of the ticket, then nothing matters.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
just sayin' if youre one of the people who push the 'biden has dementia' thing really hard -- remember the right is also pushing it too alongside you. think twice before trying to make up for your losing candidate by pushing no context/edited videos. when biden becomes the nominee people are going to super aware that he might have dementia, and trump's gonna exploit the fuck outta it. just be careful what you do.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Sets the news agenda for the next 24 hours

It's also attack ad fodder

Just don't do the debates

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are the chances that Biden has to compromise on a progressive VP (maybe even a Bernie vetted one) to appease the respective wing?

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that Biden has to compromise on a progressive VP (maybe even a Bernie vetted one) to appease the respective wing?

I don't know, but who would you have in mind? Apart from Warren - which he probably won't choose anyway since he said she's needed in the Senate in a tweet the other day.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, but who would you have in mind? Apart from Warren - which he probably won't choose anyway since he said she's needed in the Senate in a tweet the other day.

I don't know either, mate haha.

Maybe Barbara Lee? She has a really good reputation, wasn't too involved with Sander's campaign (as in more acceptable for centrists), and is a woman of colour.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Tell me that you are now a parody of yourself. Tell me this is not real :D

Please, tell me, that Michael Brooks fucking posting an emoji and a "No" does not constitute an attack on AOC.
We have truly entered the Twilight Zone.

Like whoops they don't worship AOC, guess it's an attack now!

Establishment dems are cult-like

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know either, mate haha.

Maybe Barbara Lee? She has a really good reputation, wasn't too involved with Sander's campaign (as in more acceptable for centrists), and is a woman of colour.

I know her name has been floated around when it comes to who Sanders could pick as VP, but honestly, I don't really see who Biden would pick if he went for a progressive.

And I still think there's a somewhat significant chance he'll pick Buttigieg, or give him Defense or some other key position.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What is the problem with AOC's tweet? The fact she isn't joining in on pressuring warren to push her supporters to Bernie? Maybe as a woman she finds it gross the way she was treated? You don't see Biden fans peer pressuring Bloomberg and Harris to support him.

The fact that AOC plays the game of thrones much better than Bernie? Or maybe after a week of being harassed by Bernie fans AOC thinks it great that Warren isn't letting it get to her. What about the rest of the AOC clique, are they demanding Warren turn over her followers?

At this point I feel like you don't even respect yourself if you give into the bullies online.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm actually curious if the logic that it's better for the party to resolve primaries quickly and cleanly tracks, anymore.

The circus of the 2016 GOP primary gave Trump permanent residence in the public headspace. He got the kind of nightly news presence Bloomberg's money couldn't even buy, and he wouldn't have had half of it if the field hadn't been so muddled and there hadn't been drama about delegates potentially flipping a close-run nomination up to the very end.

Maybe it's actually better to drag it out. Maybe all that really matters is having the American voting public hear your name as many times as possible, regardless of the context.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
What is the problem with AOC's tweet? The fact she isn't joining in on pressuring warren to push her supporters to Bernie? Maybe as a woman she finds it gross the way she was treated? You don't see Biden fans peer pressuring Bloomberg and Harris to support him.

The fact that AOC plays the game of thrones much better than Bernie? Or maybe after a week of being harassed by Bernie fans AOC thinks it great that Warren isn't letting it get to her. What about the rest of the AOC clique, are they demanding Warren turn over her followers?

At this point I feel like you don't even respect yourself if you give into the bullies online.
person A: *Does something*
"Bernie Bro": Hey, I don't like this
right wing democrats: YOU SEE THE HATE AND BIGOTRY OF THE BERNARD BRETHREN THEY ATTACK ANYONE WHO DOESN'T AGREE WITH THEM. POOR PEOPLE SHOULD DIE

Status
Not open for further replies.