• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it's true Biden doesn't poll very well with video game message board posters, he does do extremely well with the demographics that actually f'n vote in elections. Those people are coming out in record numbers for him and downplaying it only shows ignorance.

Let me preface this by saying I voted Bernie in Michigan. Warren was my first choice until she dropped out. Sanders was an easy #2 for me. Saying that, Bernie vote was mostly symbolic as the writing is on the wall and Biden will likely win MI pretty handily and FL next week will almost assuredly end it.

Anyways, posting drive-by 20-second clips of Biden literally doing "Biden" things means almost zero to the people that have known him for decades+. Biden is not some unknown commodity. And also, most people find "Biden-isms" endearing rather than disqualifying and his charisma is a big plus. Posting out context or edited clips is also a very Trumpian thing to do. I don't agree with Biden on much, but I fully feel he is a "decent" person and his heart is in the right place. Unlike the risk of Clinton, people "like" Biden the person exponentially more than most politicians.

Yesterday, Sanders went after something Biden said in 1974 regarding abortion. That ain't the way forward either. Like I said, people KNOW who Joe Biden is and what he stands for. He was the extremely popular Vice President of perhaps the most popular person living on this planet today. Passing some purity tests from decades ago just doesn't play well to the general public. Where he stands on things isn't some great mystery. Sure, it's changed over the decades, but it's just highlighting your own ignorance by acting like he's something that he is very much not.

Railing against his "cognitive" abilities or worse is also a terrible look. It shows no awareness when the alternatives are Bernie Sanders and half-man/half-Big Mac Donald Trump. it's also gross.

I know what I'm saying next is anecdotal, but good god, I have seen so much ugliness on Facebook from Sanders people that actively turns people away. For instance, my mom, a retired teacher and Warren supporter who never said a bad word about any other candidate, posted Warren's post on Medium about dropping out. My mom was devastated that day. On that thread, a few of her former students posted snake emojis, said she was screwing Sanders and other ugliness. It sucked. I've also seen GOOD people who supporter Pete, Amy or Biden be bombarded with "rat," "dementia" or other crass comments en masse almost always from Sanders supporters. What I'm saying is that Sanders people (and other candidates) need to treat Amy, Pete, Warren or other candidates that people support as FUTURE allies rather than combatants that risk alienating their support. Everyone of those people have their own unique life experiences and reasons for supporting them. Their flavor of candidate isn't all that much different than Sanders, and you should be hellbent on building bridges rather than putting up walls. Telling them they support you "dying" or whatever is an easy way to not have a productive conversation and convince them to come over. Moderates rallying around one candidate as the election goes on isn't some great "conspiracy" or ploy by the "establishment." It mostly just shows how poor Sanders/Progressives have been in expanding their coalition. When another candidate drops out and doesn't endorse Sanders or endorses another candidate, the attitude shouldn't be "fuck that person," but rather, what could we have done to "win" their support.

Also, for all of Biden's "gaffes," it's looking likely to me that the biggest gaffe of all was Sanders going on the Democratic stage and saying nice things about Castro. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, the presumptive favorite at the time who DESPERATELY needed to appeal to a broader audience literally said nice things about the boogeyman that scares so many moderates.

I guess what I hope Progressives learn from this disappointing cycle is to have a more welcoming and understanding message going forward. Fight like hell FOR your candidate rather than AGAINST other potential allies.

Heyo, thanks for this. As a Warren voter, thanks for this in-depth post!

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders didn't go to the Bloody Sunday commemoration, which is the most basic of courtesies he could have possibly performed. God damn Bloomberg went.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's so frustrating to see Bernie blaming all his problems on the "establishment".

Just no introspection. No coalition building

think of what could've happened if he tried to run his campaign differently this time...
To be completely fair to Bernie, he managed to boost his Latino support considerably. That's a nugget that I hope other Democratic candidates can build upon for the future.

Otherwise, yeah: Bernie's consistent all right.

Oct 25, 2017
While it's true Biden doesn't poll very well with video game message board posters, he does do extremely well with the demographics that actually f'n vote in elections. Those people are coming out in record numbers for him and downplaying it only shows ignorance.

Let me preface this by saying I voted Bernie in Michigan. Warren was my first choice until she dropped out. Sanders was an easy #2 for me. Saying that, Bernie vote was mostly symbolic as the writing is on the wall and Biden will likely win MI pretty handily and FL next week will almost assuredly end it.

Anyways, posting drive-by 20-second clips of Biden literally doing "Biden" things means almost zero to the people that have known him for decades+. Biden is not some unknown commodity. And also, most people find "Biden-isms" endearing rather than disqualifying and his charisma is a big plus. Posting out context or edited clips is also a very Trumpian thing to do. I don't agree with Biden on much, but I fully feel he is a "decent" person and his heart is in the right place. Unlike the risk of Clinton, people "like" Biden the person exponentially more than most politicians.

Yesterday, Sanders went after something Biden said in 1974 regarding abortion. That ain't the way forward either. Like I said, people KNOW who Joe Biden is and what he stands for. He was the extremely popular Vice President of perhaps the most popular person living on this planet today. Passing some purity tests from decades ago just doesn't play well to the general public. Where he stands on things isn't some great mystery. Sure, it's changed over the decades, but it's just highlighting your own ignorance by acting like he's something that he is very much not.

Railing against his "cognitive" abilities or worse is also a terrible look. It shows no awareness when the alternatives are Bernie Sanders and half-man/half-Big Mac Donald Trump. it's also gross.

I know what I'm saying next is anecdotal, but good god, I have seen so much ugliness on Facebook from Sanders people that actively turns people away. For instance, my mom, a retired teacher and Warren supporter who never said a bad word about any other candidate, posted Warren's post on Medium about dropping out. My mom was devastated that day. On that thread, a few of her former students posted snake emojis, said she was screwing Sanders and other ugliness. It sucked. I've also seen GOOD people who supporter Pete, Amy or Biden be bombarded with "rat," "dementia" or other crass comments en masse almost always from Sanders supporters. What I'm saying is that Sanders people (and other candidates) need to treat Amy, Pete, Warren or other candidates that people support as FUTURE allies rather than combatants that risk alienating their support. Everyone of those people have their own unique life experiences and reasons for supporting them. Their flavor of candidate isn't all that much different than Sanders, and you should be hellbent on building bridges rather than putting up walls. Telling them they support you "dying" or whatever is an easy way to not have a productive conversation and convince them to come over. Moderates rallying around one candidate as the election goes on isn't some great "conspiracy" or ploy by the "establishment." It mostly just shows how poor Sanders/Progressives have been in expanding their coalition. When another candidate drops out and doesn't endorse Sanders or endorses another candidate, the attitude shouldn't be "fuck that person," but rather, what could we have done to "win" their support.

Also, for all of Biden's "gaffes," it's looking likely to me that the biggest gaffe of all was Sanders going on the Democratic stage and saying nice things about Castro. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, the presumptive favorite at the time who DESPERATELY needed to appeal to a broader audience literally said nice things about the boogeyman that scares so many moderates.

I guess what I hope Progressives learn from this disappointing cycle is to have a more welcoming and understanding message going forward. Fight like hell FOR your candidate rather than AGAINST other potential allies.
Save what you love, not fight what you hate

Oct 27, 2017
It's understandable that Joe has the black support he does. He did take part in the civil rights movement and get arrested in apartheid South Africa, after all.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
To be completely fair to Bernie, he managed to boost his Latino support considerably. That's a nugget that I hope other Democratic candidates can build upon for the future.

Otherwise, yeah: Bernie's consistent all right.

That's true. Unfortunately he couldn't build other crucial coalitions - suburban women and older voters. It's truly impossible to win without them.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's understandable that Joe has the black support he does. He did take part in the civil rights movement and get arrested in apartheid South Africa, after all.

As opposed to White-Flight Bernie for 30 years.

funny how folks are quick to pat his lying ass on the back

imagine if it were Bernie instead, lord have mercy

No, Bernie and his supporters use marching alongside Mitch Mcconnell as his Civil Rights Activism.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Helps when you actually show up in our communities to talk to us instead of the last major interactions with black folks being "I marched with Doctor King" and "I supported Jesse Jackson in '88" (and the latter I actually give him real credit for, but that was 32 years ago).

"I knew the crime bill that Biden helped author would be used for bad things... but voted for it anyways" isn't exactly a good look.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

There's an easy way to find out why someone, like a black voter in South Carolina (or Michigan, looking prospectively), supports Biden instead of Bernie.

Ask them, instead of insinuating that they were duped somehow. They're also not monoliths, so they probably all have different reasons.

(To turn that on its head, Biden's camp should attempt to analyze why Latino voters support Bernie instead of Joe.)

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Racist Commentary; Prior Severe Ban for Sexism

No, they clearly do not "know" Joe Biden at all. If people actually knew his record of racism, cutting government programs, and sexual harassment allegations and not JUST that he was the guy attached to Obama, they'd be regretting each and every one of their primary votes. Instead, the Democratic party has proven they more under-informed than ever, and the party will probably die after Biden fails to secure the rust belt states in November and go on to fail the presidential election. Oh yeah... we seem to forget about the few states that actually determine the presidential election. Good luck telling them they should vote for the guy who supported NAFTA. That worked out great in 2016.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Sanders didn't go to the Bloody Sunday commemoration, which is the most basic of courtesies he could have possibly performed. God damn Bloomberg went.
And his response was....... something

This past Sunday, every major Democratic candidate for president joined civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis and other leaders for a march across the bridge to commemorate the 55th anniversary of the protest, at which police attacked Lewis and other peaceful demonstrators. But Sanders elected to attend a rally in Los Angeles instead.

At a press conference in Utah Monday, a reporter asked Sanders about that choice, saying "Senator in your first test with African-American voters in South Carolina, you frankly did not do well. What do you do to improve that, and does it help that you didn't show up in a place like Selma, where most of you are rivals were yesterday?"

"No, we showed up in L.A., where we had 15,000 people out last night," Sanders said, referring to a rally that was headlined by "Public Enemy Radio," a version of superstar rap group Public Enemy, fronted by Chuck D.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
No, they clearly do not "know" Joe Biden at all. If people actually knew his record of racism, cutting government programs, and sexual harassment allegations and not JUST that he was the guy attached to Obama, they'd be regretting each and every one of their primary votes. Instead, the Democratic party has proven they more under-informed than ever, and the party will probably die after Biden fails to secure the rust belt states in November and go on to fail the presidential election. Oh yeah... we seem to forget about the few states that actually determine the presidential election. Good luck telling them they should vote for the guy who supported NAFTA. That worked out great in 2016.

Are you saying African Americans that voted in the primary are underinformed? I'm pretty sure primary voters are very aware of all the things you've said and more.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Read this thread. Hint: it's not because they are uninformed.

twitter.com

michaelharriot on Twitter

“I've talked to TOO MANY black Southern voters this week (and during my life) I wanna stop and explain the concept of "the establishment" to some people and why a lot of black Southern voters will NEVER vote for Bernie.”

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying African Americans that voted in the primary are underinformed? I'm pretty sure primary voters are very aware of all the things you've said and more.

There were primary voters that literally didnt know who they were going to vote for while in line to vote.

twitter.com

“I've talked to TOO MANY black Southern voters this week (and during my life) I wanna stop and explain the concept of "the establishment" to some people and why a lot of black Southern voters will NEVER vote for Bernie.”

This is a good thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Here is an example: 1 woman told me that Bernie is too "obsessed" with M4A. She believes he'll sell anything out to get it done. Then she shocked the f*ck out of me by explaining something I had never heard of.

She explained that she had read Bernie's M4A plan and didn't like it because it would essentially eliminate private insurance. And, she said, negotiating prescription drugs removed financial incentives for innovating. Turns out, she was retired from a medical company.

She doesn't think pharmeceutical companies and insurance lobbyists would ever let it happen. "I want to eat anything I want withoutt gaining weight. But it won't happen. The way he [Bernie] has it, it will never happen. Ever. I like the public option more."

So how do you begin to break this cycle because what he's proposing works in literally every other developed country yet there's a belief is it's somehow out of reach.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

So how do you begin to break this cycle because what he's proposing works in literally every other developed country yet there's a belief is it's somehow out of reach.
I was thinking the same thing with that example. This person is definitely not uninformed, but definitely misinformed. The "stifles innovation " fallacy is so fuckin frustrating

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be controversial to say that voters don't know wtf they are doing.
Cause it seems to come up a lot when talking about black voters. Yet white voters living in the same area are said to have been abandoned or left behind. People see the low key racism and double standard

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

Depressing

Particularly that bullshit about innovation being stifled

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Cause it seems to come up a lot when talking about black voters. Yet white voters living in the same area are said to have been abandoned or left behind. People see the low key racism and double standard
I'd say what's sums it up is issues that are presented to the public get a majority of support and then those same people that support those issues don't vote for the candidates that champion it. I know there's more to an election than policy but maybe there shouldn't be.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Literally every other developed country doesn't have to contend with the same legislative setup as the US. The system is built on requiring extreme degrees of consensus to get things passed. A lot of Dem Senators are planning on removing at least one of those layers should we win the Senate, but that still leads roadblocks that Sanders (who has never passed a bill in all his time in Congress) is going to face more difficulty getting beyond than others.
I was thinking the same thing with that example. This person is definitely not uninformed, but definitely misinformed. The "stifles innovation " fallacy is so fuckin frustrating
US pharmaceutical companies factually produce more new drugs. Whether you think those drugs are necessary or not, and whether they're worth maintaining the current status quo (I'd say no to the latter at least), there is truth in our current system leading to more innovation.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
Literally every other developed country doesn't have to contend with the same legislative setup as the US. The system is built on requiring extreme degrees of consensus to get things passed. A lot of Dem Senators are planning on removing at least one of those layers should we win the Senate, but that still leads roadblocks that Sanders (who has never passed a bill in all his time in Congress) is going to face more difficulty getting beyond than others.

US pharmaceutical companies factually produce more new drugs. Whether you think those drugs are necessary or not, and whether they're worth maintaining the current status quo (I'd say no to the latter at least), there is truth in our current system leading to more innovation.
There is a difference in innovation and efficiency

Oct 31, 2017

Many Democrats and people on the left in general have said that about white working class folk who vote Republican all the time. It's one of the main points driven in What's The Matter With Kansas?

I actually think it's less of an issue with black voters; so many are pragmatic to a fault. I knew so many in Florida who liked Andrew Gillum a lot, would get wide-eyed with excitement when I said I was voting for him in the primary, only for them to tell me they're voting Levine or something because they thought he could win the general election over Gillum.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere

twitter.com

So continue to prop up a shitty system for what?

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

Those drugs are funded through grants from the government, so id say the innovation would continue without private healthcare

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's so frustrating to see Bernie blaming all his problems on the "establishment".

Just no introspection. No coalition building

think of what could've happened if he tried to run his campaign differently this time...
I mean, how did this work out for Warren? If anything, the democratic party should probably look at why so many people are attracted to bernie's message, realize that his demographics are the future, and start shifting towards a platform that more readily embraces his ideas.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference in innovation and efficiency
By what metric, then, would you measure "innovation" if not "creation of new drugs.
Those drugs are funded through grants from the government, so id say the innovation would continue without private healthcare
And that's a perfectly valid viewpoint to hold. But it is an unproven one. And the counterpoint that would inevitably be raised is that other nations are also funding drugs through government grants.

My point is that "does not agree with your world view" =/= "misinformed". Especially when they actually have direct knowledge of the field they're talking about.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That anyone could ever come to the conclusion that innovation is upheld in the American medical system in like 95% of cases is a terrible reality for people who have never and will likely never know better. But it isn't just black voters in the south that have been fooled by Uncle Sam's early capitalism propaganda. Basically everyone I know has been fooled by this. No one realizes that capitalism's innovation stops as soon as anti-trust law isn't enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.