• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
It's tied to Bernie because people with power and influence hate his policies. Anyone with Bernie's policies running for president would be framed in exactly the same way by the media. People with 3 followers posting snake emojis do not matter.

Bernie and his surrogates have decided to signal boost CTH. Pretty sure they have more than 3 followers.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Bernie Sanders is still competing. We would be in better shape with Bernie Sanders than Joe Biden.

He has a path to win now. It's ridiculous to say otherwise. It's tough based on the polling, but it can still happen.

Even if he doesn't get the nomination, as stated before the progressive movement has grown with his candidacy and will outlast him. Furthermore, greater support for him might be translated into greater leverage over the centrist wing to push more progressive agenda into Democratic politics to get shit finally done

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
His strategy was to put all his chips on SC and win by such a large margin that it carried him through Super Tuesday.

I wouldn't say that's a bad campaign since it like... Worked.

Hindsight is always 20/20. It was risky as fuck and had it failed everyone would rightly be making articles on what a stupid strategy it was. So no, I don't think Biden ran a good primary campaign, but it was still miles better than Sanders, who literally just did a repeat of his 2016 run, right down to ignoring southern states, and still expected to somehow win. I can't wait until we get a BTS expose on Bernie's campaign just like we did for Warren's because I bet it will be an amazing tale of arrogance and incompetence from the top down.

Jun 20, 2019
From what I see no one in here gives a shit about Biden. There are no actual Biden supporters here. There are only people who distract themselves from analyzing the candidate they're promoting, first by demonizing his primary opponent, and then by demonizing his general opponent. The support is 100% negative in nature.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie won the popular vote with 26.5% in Iowa. He won 49.59% in 2016.

Bernie won the popular vote with 25.6% in NH. He won 60% in 2016.

Bernie won the popular vote with 40.5% in NV. He won 47.29% in 2016.

Sanders was underperforming his 2016 by far more than you'd expect for someone with 100% name recognition, with the effect being blunted in Nevada due to the state being demographically friendly to him, as latino voters were his best voter group by a mile this time out after being his best voter group (by a little bit) in 2016 with him winning around 55% of them. When this was pointed out, it kept being dismissed by people as concern trolling. But, as it turned out, contrary to our expectations of normal campaign behavior (I hadn't seen that 2019 article on Sanders ever until a Daily Kos op-ed this week) they knew exactly what they were doing. The ceiling might have appeared anyway, but the campaign never actually bothered to try and break through it. They were content to just let everyone play in their comfort zone and never attempted to try and reach anyone outside of it. Bernie's flaws weren't "not attacking Biden enough" they were "not bothering to do even the most basic attempts at voter outreach and coalition building an intern at a political consulting firm would know to tell you to do."

Like, Sanders hasn't endorsed Markey yet! That's absolutely nuts! And there's no actual good explanation for it other than "Sanders is pissed that Markey endorsed Warren (despite, like Pressley, it kind of being the obvious choice due to local politics), and wouldn't actually endorse despite that." There was absolutely no reason to hold out hope for Markey's endorsement or take it as a personal slight, yet that's apparently what the campaign did.

It is a little surprising that Sanders isn't doing anything to help a co-author of the Green New Deal. Not doing so proves to me it isn't about policy for him. It's about him.

From what I see no one in here gives a shit about Biden. There are no actual Biden supporters here. There are only people who distract themselves from analyzing the candidate they're promoting, first by demonizing his primary opponent, and then by demonizing his general opponent. The support is 100% negative in nature.
But how many would admit to it? Biden is my choice after Warren. I'm not vocal about supporting him because this board can be pretty hostile but thankfully i learned pretty early on that ERA isn't America.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I'm probably the only Biden supporter that I know of on here.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Elizabeth Warren supported Bernie's policies as a front-runner for a few minutes and the media and punditry shook her down until she relented.

That's what compromising does to you. The corporate media and the network of pundits and operatives is an obstacle someone like Joe Biden does not have to contend with as a front-runner in the primary.

No one is asking him how much it's going to cost for his healthcare plan because he already told the right people that nothing will change in his Presidency.

Oct 27, 2017
Such as? Most progressives are just ignored. He has their attention and he should use it to further progressive cause not give way to someone they will just dismiss and ignore. Its why I'm hoping he stays in as long as humanly possible.
Anybody that doesn't burn bridges and understands the importance of coalition building. Sanders' method isn't conducive.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why it's so disappointing. Even Yang ran a more exciting campaign than Biden and now he has to limp across the finish line against Trump.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Elizabeth Warren supported Bernie's policies as a front-runner for a few minutes and the media and punditry shook her down until she relented.

That's what compromising does to you. The corporate media and the network of pundits and operatives is an obstacle someone like Joe Biden does not have to contend with as a front-runner in the primary.

No one is asking him how much it's going to cost for his healthcare plan because he already told the right people that nothing will change in his Presidency.

Not compromising is also why Sanders is losing the primary two times in a row.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020

Bolder plans requiring more explanation and details is completely reasonable.

"I'll cross the street" requires less vetting and questioning than "I'll catapult myself to the other side".

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably the only Biden supporter that I know of on here.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But it's also why every other candidate has had a platform that has made concessions leftward. A loss for a no compromise Bernie is still a win in some regard.

Yeah, but it also confirms what I've been saying since 2016: The problem isn't Bernie's policies. The problem is Bernie. People just don't like him as a candidate and his confrontational, "no-compromise" stance probably has a lot to do with it.. We can argue till we're blue in the face whether or not that's fair, but the proof is in the election results.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
For the majority of leftists, identity matters insofar as what policies are proposed for helping marginalized people. The candidate with the best policies in said case gets the most support. The identity of the deliverer of those policies doesn't matter so much. Personal issues are also largely put aside for this reason because structural issues are not solved nor caused by the personal atomized actions of individuals, but by well, structural policies and systems of oppression.

Bernie edged out Warren here in a few key areas such as foreign policy (a big one), medicare, and the environment. And because solidarity is a massive value to the left, you see them coalesce in their entirety around the singular chosen candidate (in this case Bernie) as a result.

You don't have to agree with these decisions, I'm just explaining how I understand the left to work and why things be the way they be.
I am leftist/very liberal (whatever you want to call it), but in 2016 and 2020 I thought Bernie was unimpressive and not , to say the least. It's easy to say you he do all sorts of miraculous things and make sweeping changes, but he wouldn't have the power to actualize most of his talking points.

I am disappointed with the final nominees but will vote for either in the general election.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Biden's team basically did the same thing before Super Tuesday that Bernie Camp did with the endorsements after his heart attack lmao

in both cases it revived the campaign

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Yeah, but it also confirms what I've been saying since 2016: The problem isn't Bernie's policies. The problem is Bernie. People just don't like him as a candidate and his confrontational, "no-compromise" stance probably has a lot to do with it.. We can argue till we're blue in the face whether or not that's fair, but the proof is in the election results.
I disagree, but on different grounds. That whether he wins doesn't matter. Fuck Bernie, I don't care about the man that much. I care about his proposals, and if he's forcing more and more people to adopt/take his proposals seriously. That's what actually matters. The goal is to make electoral politics bend the knee to activism, even reluctantly, and slowly if necessary. Inspiring a new wave of left thinking people will have far more effect than 4 or 8 measly years in a broken office can ever have.

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine to say you don't know. But you're responding to people like you do by pointing at a result as the reason for...the result. So unless you experience time non-linearly, it's a bit odd.

I am pointing to the result in an attempt to get people to take a step back and reassess.

So going into detail on why policy doesn't always matter. A few reason's:

People who have been around a while have seen a million places come and go, they have even seen them come back around again on a cycle. Ideas have value, but they aren't everything and people have become pretty cynical about political promises in general.

For many voters, first, before they even consider a person's policies, they are going to judge the person's character. This is sort of ephemeral and it is a very emotional thing. (It can also be a very bad thing because it allows bigotry and bias to drive political support.)

So that's a pretty big problem for politicians; it's a tough thing to break through that cynicism.

One of the ways you do that is by being around, being present. By making people think that you are there to listen to them rather than being there to preach at them. Biden has cultivated the image of being someone who does that. (I want to stress "image" here, the perception is what matters).

Another thing that is helpful is to have a track record of accomplishing things. This shows that you have some level of clout, some ability to deliver. Biden has also spent a lot of time making this argument. Getting an endorsement like Clyburn's is a massive boon. It carries with it a huge amount of inherited trust.

It's about making people feel seen and secure. A campaign that is able to do that is doing some things right. And none of those things really need to involve getting deep into policy.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Bernie would have won if he had zero challenges? Weird argument, but ok.

Dude had 3 years head start on everyone but he fumbled.

Sanders benefited in 2016 from a consolidation of the notHilary vote. The conditions of the eve of ST were ideal for swaying undecideds towards Biden. Most voters are undecided until the last minute and this was the best way to tip the scales in the notSanders favor.

But I get the sense that you aren't interested in a look at the factors of each race to understand the disparities and outcomes if you're replying to a post with 'so you're saying that Sanders would won if he had zero challengers'.

Last edited:

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Electoral politics can only bend the knee to activism if enough activists vote.
Electoral politics does not get the credit for a history of leftists activism that forced it to bend the knee, this take is an ahistorical lie of liberalism recuperating its image. Things like the New Deal and the Civil Rights movement aren't victories for electoral reform and never were. Politicians were forced by movements. The "right guy" with the "right policies" was not voted into office to make these changes.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wonder if it would have changed the outcome at all if AOC and the squad had endorsed Warren instead of Sanders.

Warren probably wouldn't have done some of the political hedging that she tried later and got nowhere with. Would have helped her with her weaknesses among ethnic minorities too I bet. I don't think it would have changed too much with Bernie's diehard base, but she'd have seen more delegates for sure.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

My mindset is that there is no good candidate left. I don't like either of them, but of the two, Biden is more likely to actually win and actually accomplish things in office.

I'm not voting in the IL primary next week because there's no fucking point, but I'll vote for whoever actually gets the nomination in November. Not like my vote matters at all anyway.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wonder if it would have changed the outcome at all if AOC and the squad had endorsed Warren instead of Sanders.

It would have been interesting because AOC endorsing Bernie after the heart attack followed up the biggest rally of the cycle at that point was the equivalent of Bernie eating a Senzu bean.

Imagine if AOC and the rest had endorsed Warren after the heart attack instead.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalizations. Ignoring discussion guidelines.
Not a great candidate. A great candidate wouldn't do as poorly with large swaths of the electorate as Bernie has.

Done a lot for progressive causes. Now it's time for him to give way to progressive voices who actually know how to build coalitions and reach out to others instead of demonizing them.
Wat? Just because USA is full of POS people who are brain dead dosent make him a bad candidate.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not voting in the IL primary next week because there's no fucking point, but I'll vote for whoever actually gets the nomination in November. Not like my vote matters at all anyway.

There are many reasons to vote even if you leave the Presidential ballot blank. Your vote does matter.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wat? Just because USA is full of POS people who are brain dead dosent make him a bad candidate.

lovely.

I'll say this. If your strategy doesn't involve trying to bringing new people into the fold and instead relying on the hope that people don't drop out so you can win with a plurality, you're a bad candidate. Having good policies alone doesn't make you a good candidate. Being able to win with majorities makes you a good candidate. Bringing new people into the fold makes you a good candidate. Having good policy plans makes you a good candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.