• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Appointing a Supreme Court Justice is not a half measure.

From the past actions of the Republican Party, I imagine if an opening for SCJ does open and Biden is president they will come up with some bullshit rule about how Biden is going to only be a one term president And should not be able to appoint anyone and hold that position until the next Republican President is in office and then appoint a new Justice. A similar tactic worked before, they are surely going to try it again.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
If I were Warren, I wouldn't endorse Bernie. There's no point. I'm not sure it would have any impact. Waste of political capital.

I think this is what's likely to happen but also this is also the reason she was the progressives runner up. She might've had a real shot if someone like Bernie, who will say what he believes is just regardless of political convenience, wasn't there to be compared to. Her being much more willing to engage in politics in service of a progressive agenda makes her look less committed to an audience that is more ideological than pragmatic.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
From the past actions of the Republican Party, I imagine if an opening for SCJ does open and Biden is president they will come up with some bullshit rule about how Biden is going to only be a one term president And should not be able to appoint anyone and hold that position until the next Republican President is in office and then appoint a new Justice. A similar tactic worked before, they are surely going to try it again.
That doesn't work if they don't have the Senate...

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's good. He needs to push ahead in Michigan to have any hope of stopping Biden's momentum.
Most pundits on Super tuesday evening said Bernie had an advantage in Michigan due to its anti-establishment primary voter base, but some demured and suggested the African American vote may break for Biden. But consensus was Bernie will win Michigan and they were looking past Michigan in their prognosticaitons.

Probably best not to get hopes up if Bernie does win Michigan as it seems like it's already been priced in by some people.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been watching TV today but for those who care, they did just talk about the Nazi dude at the Sanders rally just now on MSNBC.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
yup, Bernie has to show strength in Michigan and Washington. Then the debate...
Ideally he'd win a state that he didn't before as well. California, Nevada and Iowa were all good pickups but it won't be enough if he can't even win all the states he won in 2016

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Does this not also apply to Bernie?

Also, your post is basically endorsing Biden for President: The chances of a Senate majority rise with Biden at the top of the ticket.

Also also! Maybe Bernie should flip his whole "The youth should vote" message to "The youth need to vote every chance they get, because it's not just in the Presidency where revolution comes, it's in the House and Senate where progressive legislation can come alive".

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Sure, but currently they do have the senate, and if it is flipped, how long can Democrats hold it? Simply getting a Democrat President is not a slam dunk for appointing progressive Justices.
Well for starters any democratic president would mean we wouldn't get any conservative supreme court justices if anyone retired or died so that's already an immense thing even without the Senate.

And even if the Senate flips back in 2022 or we don't get it in 2020 but do get it in 2022 it doesn't matter because the liberal justices can all immediately retire and we can replace them with new, younger people. In addition it's still possible that a conservative justice dies in a 2 year period.

Of course ideally they would recognize that SCOTUS not only went to extra partisan shit with Garland + Gorsuch + Kavanaugh but it also isn't worth upholding outdated traditions if people are suffering and just stack it. Warren 2020 :(

Oct 25, 2017
Does this not also apply to Bernie?

Also, your post is basically endorsing Biden for President: The chances of a Senate majority rise with Biden at the top of the ticket.

Also also! Maybe Bernie flipping his whole "The youth should vote" message to "The youth need to vote every chance they get, because it's not just in the Presidency where revolution comes, it's in the House and Senate where progressive legislation can come alive".

Way too "establishment".

Bernie is up to like his 5th event here in Michigan in the next 3 days. Going all in.

Winning Michigan by about a point in 2016 in a total black box of a primary (had no real ones in recent history) is such a giant feather in his cap. He needs to claw out a super narrow win, even if the day ends with Biden increasing his delegate lead significantly on the back of Missouri and Mississippi

Honestly, if he loses Michigan, he should just drop out. Any other campaign in recent history other than his would realize that it is done and funding would dry up.

less

Oct 25, 2017
He should probably stay in til the debate regardless to see if he can highlight how Biden's brain isn't really functioning at the moment.

Biden is functioning well enough. He definitely isn't at his peak but the dude is still capable. It's going to be interesting debate that I think Biden might surprise in how well he does. I think that in all cases Bernie is going to come across as desperate.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing with this line of attack against Biden is that you're lowering expectations so that even if he just does an okay job in a debate for example he's going to get a lot of credit.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but currently they do have the senate, and if it is flipped, how long can Democrats hold it? Simply getting a Democrat President is not a slam dunk for appointing progressive Justices.
To be fair both Biden and Bernie are for statehood for Puerto Rico and DC(I think for Biden) which means if we flip the senate once we could get 4 safe senate seats

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Biden is functioning well enough. He definitely isn't at his peak but the dude is still capable. It's going to be interesting debate that I think Biden might surprise in how well he does. I think that in all cases Bernie is going to come across as desperate.
This. I expect Biden to do well since he doesn't have to prep for 5 or 6 other candidates and their views/policies or what they've previously said.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All Biden has to do is avoid an insane "dementia" moment and he's golden. He's got the wind at his sails, a 14 point national lead and if he wins Michigan handily, woo boy. As long as he comes out of the debate without making a crazy mistake, it won't make a difference. I promise you the "ideas" debate between him and Bernie isn't going to change anything, he's just gotta seem "with it" and voters who support him now will breath a sign of relief and continue to
Vote for him.

I don't think this place is appreciating how much the non Bernie wing of the party have lined up behind Biden. Since Nevada, Biden has jumped 34 points in the national poll to Bernie's 6. He's now tied in Washington with Bernie, who won that state in 2016 by 40 points.

Now listen, Biden could get corona virus or have a stroke or something and change everything, but you need that type of event to stop his momentum. Otherwise this race is over by the end of the month. With proportional delegates he's just going to widen his lead more and more with less and less chance for Bernie to make up the difference.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair both Biden and Bernie are for statehood for Puerto Rico and DC(I think for Biden) which means if we flip the senate once we could get 4 safe senate seats
Yeah. Well, they're more passive on Puerto Rico with a stance of "if they want to be a state, they can have a vote and become a state" rather than "I will push for them to have a referendum so that they're not treated as a trash bin by the government and have representation" or even "I will pre-approve them becoming a state if they have a referendum where they say they want to become a state". Neither of them have that front and center. It should be. Maybe not talk about DC as that's not as popular, but Puerto Rico statehood is a pretty universally popular goal.

Oct 25, 2017
Some more toxic behavior by Biden supporters. I'm sure Biden will be grilled about his fans behavior any day now.

Just looking at the profiles of some of those people, they aren't Biden supporters.

Login on Twitter

Welcome back to Twitter. Sign in now to check your notifications, join the conversation and catch up on Tweets from the people you follow.

If anyone, is a Bloomberg supporter, but like 99% chance it is a troll account.

And, Egg Avatar with 10 digits in their name? Those aren't real accounts.

Another one, no sign or indication of being a Biden supporter. Clearly a troll account just playing both sides of every issue to stir shit.
https://twitter.com/ErnestFlores14/with_replies

https://twitter.com/ErnestFlores14/status/1122139425411149831

" Congratulations Mr.Trump small business in America are doing better today under your administration.Thank you "
a few months from...
" The American PRESIDENT has caused must HATE AND DIVISON IN THE WORLD "

Literally 0.0000000% chance that is a real person sharing a real opinion.

Last edited:

Ars Arcanum

alt account
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring Staff Post Regarding Conspiracy Theories
What does that say about Bernie's electability when Biden dominated on Super Tuesday despite all of his gaffes and fuckups?
That the establishment went along and did a repeat of 2016 and SHOWED THEY DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU. they know there's no way Biden will defeat trump, but you think they want Bernie as president? You think they wanna get taxed and get taken on?

Between the Iowa caucas fuck up, klob, Pete dropping out, manipulation of polls downplaying Bernie, Warren staying in to fuck bernie out of 2-3 states on super Tuesday, it's ALL pointing to legitimate, intentional disruption from the Democratic establishment to fuck bernie in favor of a moderate YET AGAIN.

The party is a corpse of it's former self. It stands for nothing. It does not care about you. Only it's elite special interests and donors.

They want 4 more years of trump. Because that would mean they stay rich.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That the establishment went along and did a repeat of 2016 and SHOWED THEY DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOU. they know there's no way Biden will defeat trump, but you think they want Bernie as president? You think they wanna get taxed and get taken on?

Between the Iowa caucas fuck up, klob, Pete dropping out, manipulation of polls downplaying Bernie, Warren staying in to fuck bernie out of 2-3 states on super Tuesday, it's ALL pointing to legitimate, intentional disruption from the Democratic establishment to fuck bernie in favor of a moderate YET AGAIN.

The party is a corpse of it's former self. It stands for nothing. It does not care about you. Only it's elite special interests and donors.

How is Bernie expected to beat the Republican machine if he can't beat the Democratic machine? All this hand wringing about the DEMOCRATIC ESTABLISHMENT destroying Bernie but no mention what the RNC with Billions of dollars and dark money super PACS would do to Bernie. You gotta best Biden before you can make the argument that you're more likely to best Trump.

If Bernie had expanded his coalition, got more black support, got higher youth turnout, got more working class without college degree voters (Biden is hurting him here more than Clinton did) than he'd probably be in the drivers seat for the nomination.

Oct 25, 2017

Sweet jesus, you're really on the Warren anti-sanders conspiracy theory train?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

How are Klob and Pete intentional disruption again? They ran on platforms that were to the right of what you and I prefer and endorsed someone closer to them idealogically so it's all a conspiracy?

Warren is in kahoots with the DNC to intentionally fuck over Bernie despite half of her supporters preferring Biden as well? Furthermore when all is said and done even if Bernie got ALL of her delegates Super Tuesday still would have hurt him badly. Also this is ignoring Bloomberg entirely who did better than Warren in a lot of states and has already endorsed Biden.

And lol dude, no shit the establishment prefers Biden but you can't write off millions and millions of voters who went for Biden as being part of the establishment.

Edit: or the fact that the youth would turn out in record numbers for Bernie didn't happen or the fact that new voters didn't overwhelmingly go for Bernie either

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe step away from the internet for the rest of the day and take a deep breath.

less

Oct 25, 2017
All Biden has to do is avoid an insane "dementia" moment and he's golden. He's got the wind at his sails, a 14 point national lead and if he wins Michigan handily, woo boy. As long as he comes out of the debate without making a crazy mistake, it won't make a difference. I promise you the "ideas" debate between him and Bernie isn't going to change anything, he's just gotta seem "with it" and voters who support him now will breath a sign of relief and continue to
Vote for him.

If the next debate gives Biden plenty to time to express his answers I do feel that he'll come across better than he usually does. He won't have to rush and thus less of a chance of being derailed by a shutter.

I think the most interesting part is going to be how he'll handle a Bernie that is going to be hyper aggressive. My own thoughts are that he could fend off Bernie and make the case to the American people that he is "Presidential", "relatable", and a "good guy".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Disinformation game in full effect.
It's never Bernie's fault when he does poorly. Always someone else to blame. Progressives give the establishment shit for failing to learn from 2016 but it seems like they have no desire to reflect on why Bernie lost in 2016 and Super Tuesday either.

Obviously there are gonna be factors outside of the candidate's control, that doesn't mean a campaign can't improve.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017

The mental gymnastics that Bernie supporters will go to in order to avoid admitting that he has any fault is truly something. Creating this fiction of "the establishment" like it's some James Bond supervillian - at least you've got a good imagination!

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They want 4 more years of Trump?

lol

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the aftermath of Super Tuesday, as the field consolidates, there are two main points I want to make about the fight for progressive change going forward:

1. The fight for progressive change does not begin or end with the President, whatever the outcome

The executive has enormous power over many things in this country. Foreign policy lies entirely with the executive branch. Federal agencies have enormous latitude to write and enforce regulations about the environment, consumer industries, and crime. Who is at the top there matters.

But many of the key policies we discuss, things like health care, taxes, the justice system, minimum wage, and more, are formed by laws passed by Congress. No matter what the President wants, anything they wish to do has to get majorities in two houses to become a reality. This can be frustrating, because plenty of people in Congress suck. But it's also another axis for change where pressure can be applied both before and after elections.

Numerous progressive bills, bills that reform campaign finance, reduce the cost of medicine, and regulate firearms, among many other examples, have been passed by the House only to die on arrival in the Senate because it is controlled by Republicans. At the national level, flipping the Senate may be just as crucial to enacting progressive policy as flipping the White House. If we get someone sympathetic behind the desk of the Oval Office, and we get majorities in both houses, we can focus on making sure the bills that come out of that Congress are as good as they can be, so that the President has no choice but to sign them. Even if you don't want to vote for a major party nominee for President, please vote down-ticket.

Even outside the national space, an enormous amount of good can be done at the state and local levels of government. Despite this administration, some places have been able to make great strides on things like criminal justice reform thanks to the work of committed activists working to elect sympathetic politicians and get them on board for change. That work is far from done.

I'd like everyone to vote for the Democratic nominee, but whatever happens, there is room to keep fighting for the issues you believe in, both during and after the election. Don't give up.

2. Remember most of us want the same things, even if we disagree on how to get there

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortes made some great tweets on Wednesday that I found very inspiring in showing a path forward for progressive change.

With the exception of those who would gladly stew in their own shit if they thought it made liberals upset, people vote for those who they think are going to make the world better. While that can create problems when visions of what "better" means are contradictory, I think most on the left have the same goals.

We want to live in a world where everyone who needs medical care can get it without being pushed into poverty or worse.
We want to live in a world where everyone, no matter their race, gender, orientation, or creed, is treated with dignity and respect.
We want to live in a world where we can live sustainably, without mortgaging our futures and those of the generations to follow.
We want to live in a world where the rewards of our society go to everyone, not to those who already hold power and wealth.

We may not all agree on the best way to achieve those goals. But to get to them, we need to bring as many people along with us as possible, because in a democracy, numbers are power. That doesn't mean settling for nothing. But it does mean finding ways to build a movement where those who are not with us yet will feel like they belong, a movement where they want to join.

We are on the same team.
Let's get there together.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also I like how the party is a corpse of its former self when it's more progressive now than it ever was in the past, especially in the 90's where they specifically, purposefully turned rightward to get elected.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I'm all in on the idea that it was a coordinated victory but people still bought into this shit. I think it shows that moderates were more motivated to show up out of fear of Bernie but I don't think we can take much else from it since it seems like his surge came from people who show up to the GE but not the primaries.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Looool. This has got to be parody. No one is this delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.