• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're clear

Even if that ends up being true

The Huge win for Bernie amounts to a split of the 23 delegates that Bloomberg and Warren would have won if I'm looking at the list correctly

So I'm not sure how that is HUGE
If you're Kulinski today you're probably pretty desperate to find some kind of, any kind of positive spin to put on ST.

I guess we're at the "Bernie has no minority support!" phase of the primary.
On the contrary, his campaign's Latinx outreach was legit impressive and it paid dividends. Kudos to them on that.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Major fumble on Bernie's part...

See, this is what I complained about when posting that Bernie needed to make inroads with the party. At some point you have to play the political game and get people on your side. The fact that Bernie himself talks often about how he isn't for the niceties highlights this. You have to make these personal connections in this field. Sucks, but it's the reality.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie had 4 years to figure out a way to appeal to moderates and older voters and he didn't fucking do it. I don't understand why he thought relying on young voters and progressives would somehow work this time

It's a really good question...

Even when Bernie was looking very strong post-South Carolina, he did nothing to signal to moderates that he could be someone that they could rally behind. He was terrible at getting any endorsements, from anyone (look at who he put up!).

This steadfastness is probably part of his inherent temperament (and is in line with how he's reportedly viewed in the Senate), but his campaign should have done everything they could to lessen this aspect of his personality, because it doesn't invite people in who aren't already ideologically on board.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing the delegate count says now is whether or not it is "close" but when you consider Bernie losing the white rural vote so far this year, then I don't see how it changes much going forward. He won't be able to string many victories going forward unless something changes.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I keep posting about Sanders' outreach to the Latine community netting huge benefits and no one seems to want to talk about it.

It really is one of the most important demographics of this election, especially considering the administration's vitriol towards their community, and there is no other candidate speaking to them like Sanders is.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

LOL the candidate most popular with hispanic voters is tonedeaf to the concerns of non-white voters

fuck this disingenuous jackass

Democrats just now began respecting black voters after what we did in 2018. It takes time for them not to take your group as a joke. Democrats should be asking why Bernie decimated thier chosen candidate in Nevada which happens to have the fastest growing minority population in it's state. But hey who cares, Joe gonna get the older black folk and those mythical rust belt Dems!

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep posting about Sanders' outreach to the Latine community netting huge benefits and no one seems to want to talk about it.
I mean, he did. What else is there to be said? Biden ran up the score with AA voters and didn't do horribly enough with latin@ to lose Texas while doing middling with whites. That's the bottomline.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If Biden wins, which is no guarantee, he would do so while most likely keeping or expanding the House majority and there's a real decent shot at retaking the Senate. A victorious Biden could have the full support of Congress, and a headwind of goodwill for being the one to defeat Trump. He has a better shot at getting a public option passed than Bernie does, honestly.

this has always been my thought as well. Biden's plan isn't as good, but it's more realistic to getting passed. Probably unlikely for either though unless some craziness happens

Jun 20, 2019
I mean, he did. What else is there to be said? Biden ran up the score with AA voters and didn't do horribly enough with latin@ to lose Texas while doing middling with whites. That's the bottomline.
I keep seeing hot takes in here about Bernie making no advances in his outreach since 2016 and it's plainly not true.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kyle Kulinski is a moron.
Honestly, online Bernie bros are just a puzzle to me. I checked out r/politics earlier and just judging by their front page you couldn't tell that Bernie suffered a huge defeat last night. None of Biden's wins were on the front page. I hope that it's bots manipulating the voting, because that sub is pretty suspect anyway, but then I see real people like Kulinski or Hasan, and I wonder if many people online are actually like this. Like, completely detached from reality while absording exclusively news from blatantly shit sources like Kyle.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit
Ok now the excitement makes more (?) sense

The Google table is off

IoTdiB8.png

It's not 24 that Google says, it's a split of 71

Unless I'm still missing something though I don't see how even if this happens that Bernie gets a huge influx

Last edited:

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

LOL the candidate most popular with hispanic voters is tonedeaf to the concerns of non-white voters

fuck this disingenuous jackass

Not my election so was just gonna lurk but something I want to add since that tweet also does this is that people keep trying to erase or sweep under the rug the fact that Bernie is Jewish and try to cast him as just a old white dude

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing hot takes in here about Bernie making no advances in his outreach since 2016 and it's plainly not true.
He won latin@'s in 2016 as well, though by less (Helps that Bloomberg took a bigger chunk than Warren). He lost AA's in 2016 as well, by similar margins. He lost states he won in 2016 today. I'm not sure he did nothing, but what he did sure didn't help him with AAs.

Not to mention that Biden won the working class vote, which Bernie feels like is his base, when it's not.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

he seems to not have made a particularly strong effort to reach out to black voters in the south, which imo would be a good place to reach to voters because the south tends to be very poor and full of disenfranchised folks who could maybe benefit from strong leftist policies

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I actually agree that counting on Sanders right now is a bad idea. But I also feel Sanders should be taking advantage of his currently strong position to get concessions and cabinet positions in the Biden administration. In a normal primary this would be the time when both candidates are making concessions so that whoever loses, they both win.

Yeah, Biden's comeback came out of nowhere. But it is also the best time for it. It was believed Biden would basically be wiped out last night with Sanders taking an insurmountable lead. Instead Biden got insanely damned close/has the lead now (I think the latter but need to verify).

And that is actually a huge problem for Sanders. Because maybe he'll make a huge comeback. But projections still remain that Sanders and Biden will stay fairly even in most upcoming states with a few that were expected to be heavy Biden but to not have mattered by that point.

Sanders is not out in the slightest. But he is in a REALLY bad position and doesn't have anywhere near the path that Biden did.
There's no doubt Sanders faces an uphill battle (especially after the exit of Bloomber). But people suggesting (in this thread and other places online) that he should drop is absurd.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
The difference in Biden vs. Sanders is a top-down approach to politics (endorsements, media coverage, partnering with moneyed interests) vs. a bottoms up approach to politics (door knocking, phonebanking, rallies, etc.). The Biden approach happens to work better right now, which is why he did so well in the past few days.

And while obviously there are a lot of white people that go over the top with their hot takes concerning black voters, I don't think we have to swing to the opposite direction and pretend like Joe Biden has this completely organic, long-time support of black folks. He ran for president twice before, and didn't get support from anyone, let alone black voters, and then he got picked by Obama to be on the ticket so that Obama wouldn't be seen as too much of a newbie/radical, and he's now benefiting from that, which allows him to avoid having to actually do any campaigning or discussion of his actual record on black issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.