• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The NYT that Bernie fans thinks is a nest of neoliberal shills out to besmirch his good name?

Sanders wasn't kneecapped by 'teh DNC' his voters got every change they asked for in the primaries after 2016, while running the same quixotic campaign after ST that they're slagging Warren for now.

Grow up and stop making common cause with fascists because it confirm your own biases.

apparently you're perfectly capable of reconciling Bernie fans disliking the NYT but agreeing with it on obvious points

however, you cannot resist throwing out silly rhetoric over a Bernie fan using the "worst person you know just made a great point" meme in response to a Trump tweet

almost like you're letting your biases contort you into goofy-ass positions that make no sense

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
You should be excited to return to an era where we have an executive that can speak coherently, doesn't run concentration camps, doesn't whip 40% of the country into violence, doesn't dismantle the news, doesn't pack the courts (Supreme or otherwise) with lifetime reactionaries, can build diplomacy with other countries, can and cares to respond to natural disasters (hurricanes, pandemics), and otherwise isn't the steaming pile of shit we currently have.

I'm as progressive as anyone on this forum but 2020 is a moment and that moment is removing Trump and rejecting fascism. If Biden is our best chance to do that then he's our guy. We have 4 years to sort out the rest of our agenda (which is primarily a legislative one and not an executive one anyway).

You know what I think the difference is between a progressive and a moderate?

Progressives don't let problematic people slide. It's a part of fixing this corrupt world. Hold people accountable or be a moderate.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
I'm in Texas and went to my polling station in the middle of the afternoon to try to avoid the long work lines. Instead I stood in line over an hour then was told I needed to vote 2 counties over because despite my having sent in my voter registration TWICE prior to the deadline they still had me at my old address. Got there around 5 and lines were hours long. Real effect from the closing of all those voter locations. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Biden took down Sanders here.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If wide swathes of his base can be neutralized by legacy media they don't consume, what sort of hope does anyone else have in the coalition that they'll stand and fight for...anything?

What are you talking about? The mass media is on social media. People that are seen on CNN, ABC, Foxnews, etc get tweeted left and right constantly and picked up by other online only personalities every single second.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned Chomsky earlier, but after Occupy being broken up, many of the youth lost hope in the system.

Imagine, you're going to make less money than your parents, you have a more volatile labor market, you can't even afford rent in most of the job-rich cities, you have shitty insurance, you have tons of student loans.

I don't blame the youth. We have eaten our young and they're responding accordingly.
I want Bernie to win, but at some point you've gotta call a spade a spade: the youth vote is still unreliable and didn't show up when they absolutely needed to. Whether it was apathy, less opportunity to vote, whatever, that doesn't change the fact that you can't ignore the system and then expect influence within it. Bernie was their best shot at change and they still couldn't be assed to get out and vote.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Trump can't even form a coherent sentence when reading off a teleprompter; is a master at debating and ran circles around Hillary in 2016, apparently

"Progressives" are really hyping up Trump...

Look, I remember during the debates people finding both candidates to be a joke despite Hillary being actually logical compared to Trump, but the Brexit-supporting loonies around me all thought Trump was 'saying it like it is'. To the apathetic, both sides were the same (a loathsome half-inaccurate and reductive phrase that caused a lot of woes for us), but for the loonies, of which there were many, Trump resoundingly won. The best case scenario IMO is that Biden pulls out the same debate 'victories' then loses in the actual election again when said debate analysts turn out once again to be vastly out of lockstep with actual votes.

Oh, and by all means, insinuate I'm a Trump supporter, please. Very much a Joe Biden tactic to insult your allies, isn't it? Some big-tent candidate he is.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the "He got a 100 million dollars worth of free advertising from the media and Pete/Amy dropping, that's why he won" doesn't jive with Bloomberg spending almost a billion dollars and just walking away with America Samoa.

No Joke, the only ads I've seen on TV have been for Bloomberg, and you can't escape them (granted, I live in Delaware where we might as well not even have a primary this year, but still). I literally only found out what Mayor Pete and Amy looked like 2 weeks ago because I don't read coverage and I sure as hell am not watching the debates
It also ignores the MSM dumping on biden and practically burying him for weeks before SC. So should we chastise the media for all that burying or should we chastise them for reporting on biden's SC victory or should we accept reality. Lots of options.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
The media did that for him.

You guys keep denying the impact the DNC and media had on Biden's victory but all it takes for me is to turn on the television and see the truth for myself.

Blame youth vote all you want but the media sure did it's job suppressing the vote.
Should the media have not reported on Butteklob dropping out and endorsing Biden?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Texas and went to my polling station in the middle of the afternoon to try to avoid the long work lines. Instead I stood in line over an hour then was told I needed to vote 2 counties over because despite my having sent in my voter registration TWICE prior to the deadline they still had me at my old address. Got there around 5 and lines were hours long. Real effect from the closing of all those voter locations. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Biden took down Sanders here.

Yeah this shit is fucked up

VOTING SHOULD BE EASY AND MINDLESS

This definitely is a contributor to depressed turn out and I consider any example of it unacceptable

Oct 27, 2017
apparently you're perfectly capable of reconciling Bernie fans disliking the NYT but agreeing with it on obvious points

however, you cannot resist throwing out silly rhetoric over a Bernie fan using the "worst person you know just made a great point" meme in response to a Trump tweet

almost like you're letting your biases contort you into goofy-ass positions that make no sense

I see you ignored the reality of the primary process being reworked for Sanders, but still flogging the, "Dem machine made all our voters stay home" BS.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Voters who voted for Biden were tricked by the establishment, they have no actual agency
Listening to 538 and they basically agree. "The pundification of the electorate" - people are voting for who they are told will win and very clearly not who they like most or they themselves believe in. Going purely off who they are told they should vote for.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Obama isn't going to say anything until the primary is over

He's always been careful about looking like he's influencing the process
I thought the same thing but man that Bernie ad is even more insidious than the Bloomberg one. I think if Biden has a good week next week it wouldn't surprise me if he jumped in right before Florida to end it.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alot of people are talking about being suprised youth voter turnout being low... Im not, a majority of my friends do not vote because they believe no matter what, the system will fuck them and not do a damn thing. Whats the point in voting if thats the case and tbh it really does feel that way. A sad state of affairs our nation is in.
Self Fulfilling Prophecy: An American Tale.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to 538 and they basically agree. "The pundification of the electorate" - people are voting for who they are told will win and very clearly not who they like most or they themselves believe in. Going purely off who they are told they should vote for.
Voting strategically is perfectly legitimate.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Folks trying to square away Sander's coalition shrinking from 2016 is pretty amusing to see.

Funnier yet is that the data seems to show some of Sander's support in 2016 was from "Fuck Hillary" folks more than anything else.
This is hilarious? I would say young voters showing up in lesser numbers than 2016 is bad actually, for whoever the dem candidate is.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post with regards to trolling/baiting

Right thats what it was. Not that more people want Biden. I guess denial is the first stage of grief though.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

You just agreed with someone being deeply sarcastic but congrats

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Alot of people are talking about being suprised youth voter turnout being low... Im not, a majority of my friends do not vote because they believe no matter what, the system will fuck them and not do a damn thing. Whats the point in voting if thats the case and tbh it really does feel that way. A sad state of affairs our nation is in.
better than just rolling over and letting it happen.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Poor one out for Chris Matthews this morning. If he just held off on his meltdowns until after ST he would've been sitting pretty and still had a job.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This has been Biden's angle since he entered the race. It's so boring. At least his rivals have articulated clear plans--please don't link me to the damn website lol. He's not campaigning on those plans.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Folks trying to square away Sander's coalition shrinking from 2016 is pretty amusing to see.

Funnier yet is that the data seems to show some of Sander's support in 2016 was from "Fuck Hillary" folks more than anything else.
We saw some of that data in 2016, as well

WV has a ton of old Democrats who are Democrats only because they've never bothered to update their registration to Republican. So they vote in the primary.

Bernie won WV pretty handedly in 2016 among voters who were voting Republican in the general election. They just hated Hillary that much that they came out to specifically vote against her in a primary for a candidate they had 0 intention of ever voting for in the general.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It also ignores the MSM dumping on biden and practically burying him for weeks before SC. So should we chastise the media for all that burying or should we chastise them for reporting on biden's SC victory or should we accept reality. Lots of options.
Yeah this is why I don't get the media fucked Sanders theory. The media was all to happy to run Biden conspiracy shit and I saw some coverage of his speeches calling him out as rambling, etc, shit they would never say about Trump. They dumped on him for his campaign almost being dead too. The media dumps on all liberals because they want to be seen as fair and unbiased.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I mean you guys had a fucking chance with Bernie.... he had a fucking chance.

Tidus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to be specific about the Chomsky references in the thread, the media class manufactured consent to the idea that Sanders literally had to be stopped. Did we all forget how every major news network was hoping Bloomberg being in the race was to stop Sanders? Then came the mountain of endorsements, including from people who put on fake accents and actually described Joe Biden as part of the problem of American politics.

It's probably a layered response.

- Media narrative that Sanders is an obstacle to be taken down (if you don't believe this is happening you haven't been following the brown shirt and literal Nazi battle victory comparisons being made to Sanders' victories)
- Poor campaigning on Sanders behalf with the south specifically
- The sea of endorsements that led to Biden winning states he literally didn't campaign in
- The unprecedented effort regarding the above at sudden drop outs helping make the push

It's a bit naive to say it's loljustvoters. What they consume and see plays a role. How many people jumped in for Joe "you know the thing" Biden after they saw reports of an Obama-ish approach to circle the wagons on Biden that probably wasn't even true? How do you think the youth should feel in this country, a society that has never worked in their behalf for one fucking day of their lives? We're lucky to see them come out at all with the frequent suffering and misery this country normalizes upon them. Enervation at a realistically hopeless future could lead to many people not caring when they're the ones that should the most.

Right now the country is clearly picking a candidate out of fear, not out of reason. Collectively, we welcome the misery of the early to middle 2010s where our concerns were about which of our children and friends would die due to rationing diabetes medicine or getting shot in schools instead of worrying about that and having a dictator in the White House. That's the honest push here, considering the candidate getting the momentum has promised literally nothing than a throwback clock to 2015 specifically, before Donald Trump won the nomination.
If this was the case what happened to Michael Bloomberg he had millions of TV ads and billions of dollars and ended up with just American Samoa. People are making excuses for Bernie Sanders shortcomings. He couldn't get African Americans or even the young people he so claimed he had. Facts are facts I'm not gonna argue when people are just refusing to look at the numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious? I would say young voters showing up in lesser numbers than 2016 is bad actually, for whoever the dem candidate is.

I never expected the youth vote to show up, so I'm not going to say it is a bad result at all because it went as expected.

The voters that helped Democrats win in 2018 showed up, and they did for Biden and that's far more important to winning 2020 than an increasing reliance on a youth vote that consistently fails to show up.

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? The mass media is on social media. People that are seen on CNN, ABC, Foxnews, etc get tweeted left and right constantly and picked up by other online only personalities every single second.

The vast majority of voters aren't paying attention to Twitter or MSNBC, they watch an hour of local news and vote for people they've heard of. Bernie had like 100% name recognition and couldn't close the deal

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I think people really need to rethink how important policies are for electability.

www.vox.com

Why support for Medicare-for-all didn’t translate into a bigger Super Tuesday for Bernie Sanders

Medicare-for-all keeps outperforming Bernie Sanders with Dem primary voters.

• For voters who said health care was their most important issue, Biden outperformed Sanders, 38 percent to 30 percent
  • Among voters who said they support replacing all private insurance with a single government plan for everyone, Sanders got 42 percent of the vote. But Biden still picked up 25 percent of these voters; Elizabeth Warren, another Medicare-for-all supporter who has said Democrats should start with a public option and then pass single-payer, was the choice for 15 percent of those voters
  • Among voters who said they opposed Medicare-for-all, Biden won by a huge margin: 49 percent to Sanders's 11 percent

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think people overemphasize the particulars of each president's proposed legislation in primary cycles, as if a given nominee's plans are guaranteed to receive up-or-down votes in Congress once they win the presidency. In reality, Congress will be leading the charge on crafting any bills, and I don't think the bill they would come up with would be radically different if it was Biden or Bernie that happened to be president.

(I'm saying this as someone that takes the threat of climate change seriously and would love to see very aggressive steps taken to address it).
Thank you. It's like some believe all of the policies Bernie is proposing will just happen as soon as he's sworn in. It would be nothing but infighting (that's even if Dems can take control of both houses) and then mid-terms would hit and Republicans would win one or both chambers. Bernie might accomplish one promise and that would likely mean him compromising on the bill -- which I think he wouldn't do until faced with the reality of losing a chamber and thus any progress.

I want Bernie's policies, but in reality, he wouldn't accomplish much before the first round of mid-terms.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
If this was the case what happened to Michael Bloomberg he had millions of TV ads and billions of dollars and ended up with just American Samoa. People are making excuses for Bernie Sanders shortcomings. He couldn't get African Americans or even the young people he so claimed he had. Facts are facts I'm not gonna argue when people are just refusing to look at the numbers.

Did you miss the part where Bloomberg is hovering double digits, even after the brutal takedown of the last debates?

Status
Not open for further replies.