• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Sure we were forced to pay insurance companies while they provide super basic insurance. It only cost us the civil rights voting act, the majority of state legislatures and governorships, and giving Mitch McConnell the keys to the kingdom for the foreseeable future but hey baby steps right?
Buddy you need to chill. I was trying to be optimistic and let it be known that we'll get there and you're just being a jerk now. Also if you think ACA is why trump got elected you're not quite the politically astute mind you may fancy yourself

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
My husband voted for Biden via Absentee Ballot. I am certain all of his family in the US voted for Biden as well. The reason is mostly that Sanders is selling too many pipe dreams and that Biden runs on a decent platform on most things. Also, if you gotta vote for an old man, it's better to vote for the old man who hasn't had a heart attack recently.

Biden literally promised to cure cancer during his term but expanding Medicare to everyone over a few years was a bridge too far.

Buddy you need to chill. I was trying to be optimistic and let it be known that we'll get there and you're just being a jerk now. Also if you think ACA is why trump got elected you're not quite the politically astute mind you may fancy yourself

My guy I didn't mention Trump in that response. I mentioned things that actually happened in response to the ACA.

That's the problem with Democrats. They play to not lose while Republicans play to win. Republicans will do anything to push their agenda while these Democrats will play smiley gladhands with Republicans in hopes they might get a scrap. Right now you have a guy who has basically said nothing will change and advancing healthcare and education is pie in the sky but somehow he's going to cure cancer in 4 years. How does this make any sense.

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit of a dick but I've seen this song and dance to many times before and I fully know how it ends. I just don't have faith in the Democratic establishment.

Last edited:

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
oRMrFkK.jpg

That says 2020.
It's a typo by MSNBC. The scorecard comes from here where it says 2030
centeractionfund.org

2020 Climate Scorecard

10 critical actions that the Democratic nominee for President can take immediately upon entering the White House without waiting on Congress to act.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (Until July): Racist commentary, second ban in this thread.
Can someone logically reconcile Biden's support from a majority of blacks and his tough on crime approach?

It makes no sense. "Please Joe, send me to prison for this weed I have so I can work a slave job while there and when I get out my voting rights are stripped and I don't have to vote for you no more - cuz I can't"

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
My husband voted for Biden via Absentee Ballot. I am certain all of his family in the US voted for Biden as well. The reason is mostly that Sanders is selling too many pipe dreams and that Biden runs on a decent platform on most things. Also, if you gotta vote for an old man, it's better to vote for the old man who hasn't had a heart attack recently.

Yes, better vote for the dude who had two brain aneurysms and is deteriorating before our very eyes.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Can someone logically reconcile Biden's support from a majority of blacks and his tough on crime approach?

It makes no sense. "Please Joe, send me to prison for this weed I have so I can work a slave job while there and when I get out my voting rights are stripped and I don't have to vote for you no more - cuz I can't"

Only nerds and wonks care about policy. Everyone else just votes on name ID and news coverage.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

What the hell is decent about a "return to normal" that wasn't good for a majority of people?

This rambling mess of a man is our savior, y'all. We have our Donald Trump in the form of another empty, vapid, brain paste wasteland of thought.

If you pray, you better do so three times a day now. Seems many people have strong nostalgia for a deporter in chief era because the con man in the White House is that bad. That's my only take on why so many people are rallying around one of the anchors of the Obama administration.

As for me, genuinely not shocked if Trump wins again. I've already normalized the possibility faster than in 2016, complete with the possibility he does it clean this time. We already have calls of impeaching Biden the second he wins, they've successfully propagandized their side that Biden did something wrong when they gave Trump immunity, and it's going to be up to us to hold Biden up as he stumbles about? We're going to be asked to juggle and defend damaged goods. Someone else is going to have to do it, because it won't be me.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People have different values and beliefs? They don't see things the same as you?

Try digging in the data and I'm sure you can find some stuff to help you!

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden said last night that he was going to cure cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer's.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So there's still a lot of counting to be done right? the full delegate count for the most populous states aren't known yet? seems premature to declare a winner or loser. or maybe i'm just in denial

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

boof

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you americans never fail to disappoint. how can you possibly be voting for the status quo? what the hell?!

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh Biden...really america. And I'm really disappointed with my fellow black women/men moderate voters in the south.

"As long as we move away from Trump, we can go back to 2008" mindset is blown away. I don't want to go back to 2008. We should be trying to push forward and doing better. We are taking a step back with 2020 in terms of progressive policies.

This is how the Republicans end up with a supermajority by 2024. Biden may get both the Senate and Congress for 2020 just to get rid of Trump, but now you depress Progressive voters who see that nothing has changed since 2008 and will just not vote at all. 2022 is when Republicans can regain the senate/House again.

By 2024, we're going to not have enough voters for the presidential campaign again and end up letting the Republicans win again. I am truly a believer that Bloomberg may try to run on the Republican side and actually win at that point. That's when s*** is going to hit the fan, especially for minorities.

If we don't get enough progressive senators or house representatives by 2022 or the DNC establishment starts pushing out any progressive reps/senators, I think we might have to start a 3rd party grassroots party and let the moderate voters have the DNC establishment for themselves.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There's a number of posts in this thread that are really getting close to a line when discussing why and who black voters are supporting. I'd suggest maybe rewording some of these as they are coming across as extremely patronising or insulting at best.

Oct 27, 2017
It's always bad. Even when its good it usually is offset by other groups ALSO going up at the same time. There's a lot of factors that go into it - less reliable transportation, schedulies, more likely to have moved, etc. etc. The single biggest factor in "voter vs nonvoter" is actually homeownership, which of course is mostly not younger people.
This is really interesting. Once you own a home you feel like you have more skin in the game?

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I fail to see how it was anything but. Care to clarify?

I'm the opposite, I don't see at all how this campaign would appeal to you if you're moderate or even centre-left. If you honestly believe that a public option is the best step forward, or that billionaires should be taxed a bit more but aren't evil, how has this campaign appealed to you? Or even if you don't really have strong policy thoughts at all, then how did this campaign appeal to you? It made a great case for progressive policies and demonised other policies.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What an unbelievable night for Biden, I thought best case scenario was Biden being less than 100 delegates down and it looks like hie's gonna finish with +80 delegates which is insane. For him to be single digits behind in California is nuts

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well one thing that it showed was that people want a revolution that includes Medicare for all but they want trump out first and that's good for AOC. The progressive movement will win next time, it's the future of the democrat party.

but not this time as the people chose somebody that they believe will take Trump out, but people do want that change.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an unbelievable night for Biden, I thought best case scenario was Biden being less than 100 delegates down and it looks like he's gonna finish with +80 delegates which is insane

East coast really outperformed. I was shocked at the numbers he was running up in Virginia and NC. Bodes pretty well for the general election I think, if Biden is the nominee.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So the electorate doesn't want Bernie? Cool. I just wish they instead chose someone who is capable on any level of beating Donald Trump. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Biden wins in November, but I'm no longer paying attention to this shit-show, I'm fully preparing for 4 more years of Trump, and I am currently too embarrassed to call myself a democrat.
Hurts to say, but how does Bernie beat Trump if he can't turn out the vote against Biden?

I'm bummed too man

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
you americans never fail to disappoint. how can you possibly be voting for the status quo? what the hell?!

Americans are fucking stupid and like suffering that is familiar when compared to the unknown.

Much better to have a guy from an era where American normalized school shootings and has been wrong about nearly every critical issue that's been part of the problem over the last four decades because...well, he worked with that black guy who had charm to pivot away from propaganda with Flint as he bombed children in the Middle East, I guess.

I bet people really are dumb enough to think that by using Obama nostalgia to get rid of Trump that it will be the end. In fact, even if Biden wins, somehow, all we've done is create the body politic for a better, more cunning, Trump-like neonationalist. We've actually made the situation worse if he's the nominee in a long-term sense, whether or not he even wins. We're treating the symptoms of Trump as just a localized disease, and this goes right back into Biden's most consistent line of "bringing things back to normal." Yeah, a period of Sandy Hook was normal. The start of GoFundMe was normal. The rise of homeless children was normal.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm crestfallen at the thought of Biden being the nominee. I am sceptical that he'll hold up under sustained attack, but even if he does beat Trump then I don't see much in him that will address America's most urgent issues. Stopping Trump is the most important thing at this moment, yes, but Biden is running on such a hollow platform that I'm surprised so many people are eating it up.

It turns out that the people don't really want progressive change, and the people will get what they vote for. Tragically, that's their loss.

I live in the UK. This is a strong case of deja vu for me.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well one thing that it showed was that people want a revolution that includes Medicare for all but they want trump out first and that's good for AOC. The progressive movement will win next time, it's the future of the democrat party.

but not this time as the people chose somebody that they believe will take Trump out, but people do want that change.
Hard to say this will be the case if conservative dems can turn out new voters like Biden has. The future of the dem party is as likely to be Buttigieg at this point.

Oct 27, 2017

This sounds like the opinion of someone who wasn't living through drug epidemics of the 80-90's and misunderstands what the immediate fears of communities of color--particularly urban CoC--were faced with, and what kind of draconic answers they were willing to accept to stop the crime and violence that permeated everyday life

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
Americans are fucking stupid and like suffering that is familiar when compared to the unknown.

Much better to have a guy from an era where American normalized school shootings and has been wrong about nearly every critical issue that's been part of the problem over the last four decades because...well, he worked with that black guy who had charm to pivot away from propaganda with Flint as he bombed children in the Middle East, I guess.

I bet people really are dumb enough to think that by using Obama nostalgia to get rid of Trump that it will be the end. In fact, even if Biden wins, somehow, all we've done is create the body politic for a better, more cunning, Trump-like neonationalist. We've actually made the situation worse if he's the nominee in a long-term sense, whether or not he even wins. We're treating the symptoms of Trump as just a localized disease, and this goes right back into Biden's most consistent like of "bringing things back to normal." Yeah, a period of Sandy Hook was normal. The start of GoFundMe was normal. The rise of homeless children was normal.

Well put.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm crestfallen at the thought of Biden being the nominee. I am sceptical that he'll hold up under sustained attack, but even if he does beat Trump then I don't see much in him that will address America's most urgent issues. Stopping Trump is the most important thing, yes, but Biden is running on such a hollow platform that I'm surprised so many people are eating it up.

It turns out that the people don't really want progressive change, and the people will get what they vote for. Tragically, that's their loss.

I live in the UK. This is a strong case of deja vu for me.

I'm a Bernie guy, but if Biden can get Democrats to keep the House and win back the Senate, more progress will be made than with a Sanders presidency without the House and/or Senate. The concern is that Bernie is too risky for the House and Senate race, and it's not unfounded.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
so i'm reading that after today warren has fewer delegates than both pete and bloomer who dropped out before her and joined in after her, respectively

that is really quite bad

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say this will be the case if conservative dems can turn out new voters like Biden has. The future of the dem party is as likely to be Buttigieg at this point.
No today voters were asked on exit polls on these topics and agreed that that they want Medicare for all and that the economy needed a major overhaul, but wanted someone who could beat trump

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine voting for this chump.

That doesn't tell the whole story. Biden's climate plan draws plenty from the Green New Deal and its overall goal (100% clean energy and net zero emissions no later than 2050) is in line with IPCC recommendations. It's not the best, but it goes way above anything there's been in the past and countless orders of magnitude better than what's in place at the moment.

It's a simple fact that anyone who is aware of the respective platforms and, regardless of the Democratic nominee, votes in a way likely to keep Trump in power has a desperate, insatiable lust for the rapid acceleration of climate change.

Status
Not open for further replies.