• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've said this before but if it's Biden he's got my vote.

That said, some of you leaning in hard at people who are clearly venting need to wind back the sanctimonious rhetoric and remember two things:

In voting for Biden WE are enabling a plutocratic duopoly that is rigged to rob us of choice. Yes, we're going to do it anyways because Trump is a fucking monster and four more years of this lunatic will probably collapse the republic entirely but we are still giving the oligarchy exactly what it wants.

In voting for Biden we are supporting a centrist asshole who will – among many other things – allow Israel to continue its war crimes largely unfettered and flex American muscle via drones and plenty of Muslim casualties.

What fucking sucks is that such blood is on our hands yet if we don't vote Biden, Trump's violence and injustice will be worse.

It's a sad thing to have to choose between a horrible person and a less horrible person knowing that either choice is going to lead to deaths, suffering and misery.

My advice – and feel free to ignore it – is to lay off the accusations and lectures and let people mourn. If Biden wins, I'm certain most of these same people will swallow the lump down and vote for him come November.

Because if I can vote for Hillary and Biden, anyone can.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden doesn't represent actual change for me or my family. Why would you think that he's owed my vote? I find this whole line of thought baffling. It's not my job to fall in line behind the Dem nominee. It's his job to sell himself and his policies to me.
It's definitely his job to do that I agree, but doesn't change my opinion that if you're not voting Biden in November it probably means you're fairly confident you can ride out 4 more years of Trump. A Trump presidency is literally a gun to the head for many vulnerable groups in this country, not so much others. Biden was like my 4th choice going into this race (After Warren, Castro, Harris) but here we are and it's not like I'm particularly excited by his candidacy but here we are.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we want to use that analogy Bernie is the one attempting a coup, and it's not going well.

I voted for Bernie, btw.

LOL that doesn't even make sense. Bernie wasn't able to convince the other supposed left candidate to fall in line behind him when almost the entire center lane fell into line behind his opponent.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as a bernie supporter...

Based on my understanding(correct me if I'm wrong), there has not been a major change in turnout of young people, independents, and traditional non-voters. I understand it's been decent all around, the reliable young voters that are showing up have favored bernie, those voters are very diverse...but these theoretical paradigm-shifting new young voters and non-voters are not showing up in new numbers.

So either this coalition of new passion among young people and non-voters doesn't exist, or they can't be bothered to actually show up at the polls. Either way, that means Bernie's probably not gonna win, and probably shouldn't win. Now, there's all kinds of reasons we can discuss and analyze about why young people aren't showing up and the various ways the system may disadvantage them, but regardless, the end result remains.

And if you're a passionate young Bernie supporter who didn't/won't show up at the polls, and tonight's trend continues in the upcoming races, you really, REALLY have no one to blame but yourself. Certainly not Elizabeth Warren.

Young people absolutely can, and still could, change the face of American politics. And I'm talking bigger picture stuff than rather Biden or Bernie is the 2020 dem nominee. But no amount of online passion, no amount of disillusionment, no amount of eagerness to fundamentally change the system matters, if ya'll won't show up. Or, you know, revolt, I guess, but if that's not scheduled for this month, young people who want major change need to be at the polls.

Oct 27, 2017
Biden is a distant maybe seventh place as far as my preferences go but I think you hardcore Bernie people should find a way to come around on it. If only because he won't be as big on caging people and appointing judges who will overturn Roe vs Wade. At least if you live in a state where your vote matters. We still have to live in this world. If you're in a super blue state, you can find a third party and throw in a protest vote.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Maybe, when you agree with Orb Lady, who agrees with Donald Trump, all three of you should reconsider that proposition.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if the numbers have changed, but Sanders not carrying a single county/district in Massachusetts -- one of the most progressive states in the country -- is significant. He had a rally in Boston this weekend that had tens of thousands of people. Warren carried her county immediately around Boston, and with good reason she lives there and she's been a very good senator for the state, but every other county in Massachusetts went for Biden, including Worcester County which has a the largest urban working class population in New England behind Boston.

We don't get the final breakdown until tomorrow, but that was the case a couple hours ago.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Ignoring the staff post with regards to metacommentary.
am i willing to believe that the DNC and more mainstream members organized ranks to unify behind biden over bernie?

yes, easily.
Stop, for once, can we say it was the candidate and not some conspiracy. I swear hardcore Bernie and Trump supporters have one thing in common, its never his fault, ever.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Texas rn

kc8R7fB.png

Its suddenly Biden 30% and Bernie 28.8% with 62.8% counted.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
And even if this were the case, how is Bernie not even more susceptible to this?

Biden was literally carried by the press. He spent almost nothing. It's hard to know where Sanders stands if he is given similar press and not constantly painted as a crazy person by his own side. So it's a difficult hypothetical.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Bernie should stay in until the convention. Any kind of progress depends on him extracting the absolute maximum concessions from Biden and that is going to be a hard one.
If you're all going to keep lobbing grenades and attacking the Dems more than the GOP and Trump you can keep your "progress"

Deleted member 9197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That said, some of you leaning in hard at people who are clearly venting need to wind back the sanctimonious rhetoric and remember two things:

In voting for Biden WE are enabling a plutocratic duopoly that is rigged to rob us of choice. Yes, we're going to do it anyways because Trump is a fucking monster and four more years of this lunatic will probably collapse the republic entirely but we are still giving the oligarchy exactly what it wants.

In voting for Biden we are supporting a centrist asshole who will – among many other things – allow Israel to continue its war crimes largely unfettered and flex American muscle via drones and plenty of Muslim casualties.

What fucking sucks is that such blood is on our hands yet if we don't vote Biden, Trump's violence and injustice will be worse.

It's a sad thing to have to choose between a horrible person and a less horrible person knowing that either choice is going to lead to deaths, suffering and misery.

My advice – and feel free to ignore it – is to lay off the accusations and lectures and let people mourn. If Biden wins, I'm certain most of these same people will swallow the lump down and vote for him come November.

THANK YOU

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like Biden much. He's an absolutely terrible campaigner, and I don't have a lot of confidence in him beating Trump.

But holy shit I will vote for him in November against Trump and be proud to do it.

Hopefully Obama makes himself the face of Biden's campaign, that might give him an edge. And Biden can just kind of hide in the shadows until the election and we all remember "oh yeah, we're voting for Biden and not Obama."

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if the numbers have changed, but Sanders not carrying a single county/district in Massachusetts -- one of the most progressive states in the country -- is significant. He had a rally in Boston this weekend that had tens of thousands of people. Warren carried her county immediately around Boston, and with good reason she lives there and she's been a very good senator for the state, but every other county in Massachusetts went for Biden, including Worcester County which has a the largest urban working class population in New England behind Boston.

We don't get the final breakdown until tomorrow, but that was the case a couple hours ago.

I honestly think at this point most of Warren's supporters would break towards Biden and not Bernie. Or at least a pretty large chunk of them.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden was literally carried by the press. He spent almost nothing. It's hard to know where Sanders stands if he is giving similar press and not constantly painted as a crazy person by his own side. So it's a difficult hypothetical.

What are you talking about? Biden coverage was very negative between Iowa and SC. That was SATURDAY. Bernie had that entire time being the front runner.

This make no sense at all.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Good post. Too bad people making condescending posts and being fucking jerks won't listen.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
I am very sad and very disappointed in my fellow people. I'll vote for whoever I have to in the general, but it's still a real a bummer to see Bernie's lack of success today. I thought we might finally be there (even though I knew we probably weren't).

Can I just say fuck our two party system in the first place that has evolved to always bring it down to Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich? If you want to vote outside the mainstream, especially in national elections, you're viewed as a bad guy by the very people you are most likely to agree with (and probably rightfully so - anyone is better than Trump, full stop). But that's not right man.

Eugh. Yucky feelings.

Anyway, eye on the prize everybody, whoever it is we gotta get Trump out, everyone is 100% right about that.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly was Biden's message that was much more relatable than Bernie's?

Just curious.
It wasn't. I don't even know his message. I just believe he can consolidate the Democratic base and left leaning independents better than Sanders. When it no longer looked like Warren could win I only cared about removing Trump from office.

Oct 28, 2018
This election season is going to be a never ending number of Biden gaffes, him forgetting where he is, the people around him, etc. He's going to look and be portrayed as an old feeble man in the same way he was exposed during the Democratic debates. As soon as the spotlight is on him he's going to crumble.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I do think Biden had potential to win in 2016. Coming off the Obama era. In retrospect, Obama asking him not to run so Clinton could have it is rough.

Oct 27, 2017
I just LOVE the selfish attitude from Bernie supporters who ostensibly care about the civil rights of the people in this country....saying that they will forsake EVERYONE in the country by abstaining from voting. Real mature.
What's sad is that there's been the fearmongering of the DNC stealing this primary from Bernie at the convention and that being the big boogeyman... this, what's happening all across the country tonight, is a result of numerous coalitions coalescing around Biden and Bernie's coalitions not showing up for him. And instead of respecting democracy and people's votes, what we're seeing instead is a lot of selfishness and privilege from people who really don't give a fuck about those they proclaim to give a fuck about if they're willing to abstain from voting and help get Trump re-elected in the general election.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
The media was all in for Biden which is why he won so much without spending almost anything. That is all gone when he faces Trump. Trump will get the press and Biden will finally start getting attacked. I think it's going to be a circus and Trump is the most alluring clown. I think Biden loses very badly.

Biden has been pronounced dead by the media for weeks. He's had no money and was outspent by Bernie by over 2:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.