• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Speaking only for myself, as a long-time anticapitalist, I just don't think Bernie can pull off even a shred of what he wants to accomplish. Why support him? Why throw my vote in a hole for another lame-duck that'll just get steamrolled by a hostile Congress?

It's clear my first choice (Warren) isn't getting the nom and may not even make it to my state primary, so at this point the only thing that matters to me is destroying Trump and crushing him to dust. I don't care how we accomplish that.

I can respect that. I think the right Democratic candidate would be able to flip the senate and enact Bernie's agenda. But unfortunately for us, the right candidate isn't a man.

So it's down to Bernie and Biden to flip the Senate with the power of their strongest demographics.

If it's between the youth vote or the African American vote, it's hard to put faith in the former.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Pains me to say this, but Liz needs to drop out. Unless she some how pulls an inside straight and gets second place in CA(99.9999999% impossible), she is fucking toast. :/
Even somebody as boring as John Kasich won his home state in 2016. I don't know what she's doing.
I know he was governor, so it's not 100% the same, but it still looks fucking awful.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm delusional but I don't understand how a platform of

Medical Insurance for all
Reduced or free college
15 dollar minimum wage
Free Child care
Actually taxing the 1%

Is apparently a platform that doesn't """resonate"""" with voters. Can someone explain to me why this isn't popular amongst all Democrats ????
People in America hiiiiiighly value their liberties. Sanders represents the expansion of government and the loss of control for individuals. There's also a lot of people who didn't care for how unrealistic his full platform was.

Some of this is basic, universal human psychology:
Humans heavily overvalue potential loss over new benefits.
There is a portion of the population who are psychologically wired to accept and drive for rapid change, at the expense of details or repercussions. There is another portion that need carefully laid out plans to accept change. Neither side is wrong, yet these groups often clash with each other. A candidate generally needs to understand and bridge both these groups to be successful.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
By and large, debates don't really matter. Hillary Clinton destroyed Trump in all three debates by every public polling metric, she got slight bumps to the polls for 3-5 days following each debate, and then they evened back out into entrenched positions.

I mean, look at this primary race. Almost nobody thought Biden won any debate, and look at Super Tuesday and the last few days. Biden was dead in the water after the last debate. Debates are great at writing narratives and article headlines, they're really not great at predicting winners.

And this is assuming Trump will even debate. He might not, he's signalled he won't. My bet is that he'll hem and haw about no debates and finally agree to one.

I agree.

Based on how Biden is performing tonight Trump is mega fucked.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ugh....is Biden's campaign seriously going to be, "America is already great, nothing needs to fundamentally change except for Trump's admin!" ?

Well, I guess that'll help rich folks sleep comfortably.
returning to the status quo is all a *huge* amount of people want

this is pure speculation but i think it you asked an average biden supporter if they would go back to george w bush instead of trump the majority would say yes because it was normal and comfortable

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Buttigieg is out entirely because of Biden. Why are we blaming online leftists?

That meme is actually being used by leftist online to brag about their supposed power. And it's being showed here to argue they shot themselves in the foot by being that sanguine against the candidates.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I would say it's already over when Biden and the media think that you can be polite and not say bad things, Trump is going to win every time if you want to fight with a hand tied to your back.

That is just daydreaming.
I really can't stress enough that, from a purely data-driven view, today is the best evidence we have that we are beating Trump in November.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Still him being that close behind is still good for delegate counts. He's only been blown out in AL and VA, right?
Va. for sure since they are 100% reporting, Alabama probably will overtake as the biggest blowout

Bernie is in the mid 20's most other places Biden is projected (besides Minn)

julian

Oct 27, 2017
To be blunt, anyone who thinks picking Biden will destroy our chance to win in November is either not looking at or not appreciating the turnout and demographics Biden has achieved tonight.

Like, today is just about the best evidence possible that Biden will beat Trump.
I think Biden would fare worse than Bernie, but this does make me feel better. Enough people just want Trump out, so here's hoping they tune out all the bullshit and keep their eye on the prize. The one good thing about yesterday was the clear desire to focus on utter destruction in the electorate. Here's hoping they keep it up in the general, and if Biden gets the nomination, here's hoping Bernie, Warren and Bloomberg join in the march to routing the Republicans.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Biden isn't running as a status quo candidate. Removing Trump from office is indeed the biggest issue of his campaign, but that's not some insignificant thing (and with overall perceptions of the economy positive,* Trump's weaknesses are his corruption and general awfulness).

* If that changes, then Trump is really screwed and would lose to basically anybody.
If you're just removing him but not repealing or significantly changing the things he's already done, then you're running for the status quo.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
You people losing your minds tonight about Biden need to get the fuck over it come november. In no universe is it worth it to not vote for whoever is the Democrat on the ballot. Fucking seriously, the last 3 years have been a nightmare so don't sit there and act like it's fine to just not vote because your ideal candidate isnt on there. It will only get worse if Trump gets a 2nd term.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in America hiiiiiighly value their liberties. Sanders represents the expansion of government and the loss of control for individuals. There's also a lot of people who didn't care for how unrealistic his full platform was.

Some of this is basic, universal human psychology:
Humans heavily overvalue potential loss over new benefits.
There is a portion of the population who are psychologically wired to accept and drive for rapid change, at the expense of details or repercussions. There is another portion that need carefully laid out plans to accept change. Neither side is wrong, yet these groups often clash with each other. A candidate generally needs to understand and bridge both these groups to be successful.
One side is absolutely wrong since they are directly contributing to the suffering of millions and inevitable death of the planet.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about?

His base is incredibly diverse. Also, even if I conceded your point that Bernie isn't a good leader, what does that have to do with anything? Are you really trying to posit that Biden is a better leader?

Seriously?

The point is that Bernie's brand of progressivism is insufficient and myopic. It's better than the status quo, which is enough for me to support his Presidential aspirations if indeed he won the nomination. But the reason he keeps getting dogwalked in these races is because there is not a large enough coalition built to be sustainable nationwide.

But maybe it's just a coincidence that the only statea Bernie has won so far other than Nevada have been the whitest states in America. (Probably doesn't help that they're also among the first to vote, too.)

The college educated and the youth are the backbone of the current progressive movement. There is opportunity to grow those blocs into consistent and lifelong voters, but there needs to be a message beyond classism to capture other demographics. Because you need them to win general elections.

Only way to make progressivism viable for the country is to make it become the moderate view, and that requires entrenched progressive Congress seats, governors, and local coalitions.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No. In fact, I would argue that there is no upper limit with which you can overestimate your opponent. Always assume their best, and always bring your A game to it.

No, for sure, the candidates need to over-prepare. But people debating the issues like us can be more realistic. Trump got destroyed in 2016, though I think that Clinton is a very effective debater. It just didn't matter.

Debates are one of those things people pretend matter, but they really don't. Clinton decisively won every debate against Trump in 2016, all of the opinion polls agreed, but she lost the election. Today is a great example. Does anybody here think that Biden performed well in any Democratic debate? Of course not, he didn't, and yet he's over-performing tonight.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
returning to the status quo is all a *huge* amount of people want

this is pure speculation but i think it you asked an average biden supporter if they would go back to george w bush instead of trump the majority would say yes because it was normal and comfortable

I think a lot of people are just tired of talking about politics and want it to go back to something boring and sane.

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, Bernie leading with 55% of the Latino vote in California according to CNN's poll

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Unless first wave of exits are well off, looks like Sanders will carry California. But Biden is viable and will get votes. Warren might as well.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Since y'all love exit polls: Bernie wins 55% of the hispanic vote according to the CNN exit poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.