• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For the sake of my sanity I can no longer pay attention to the presidential race. I hope Biden wins, but I can't watch this play out as I will have a heart attack.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think he could've, though. What's the DNC's motivation in completely reinventing itself for him? Why would the party bend over backwards to suit his ideology when it's SO different from their own?

Again, these kinds of changes require consensus and a coalition of power that he just...doesn't have.
As president he is the head of DNC so he would have say over who is on the dnc. And the dnc does go out recruiting for candidates so if you recruit progressives instead of moderates that would make a difference.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Mood:
images

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
They told me that my vote mattered and it was important to let the process play out, it was Democratic

519.jpg

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Random side note, but yeah it's a pretty close race. Kennedy is challenging Ed Markey in Massachusetts, but as far as I know it's a toss up at this point. Nobody really knows Kennedy's positions yet at least on national issues and how they separate from Markey who is a low-drama progressive... A guy who votes progressively but isn't known as a firebrand or someone who gets a lot of attention.

I'm naturally inclined to Markey in situations like this, but will take a look at Kennedy. They had one debate on WBUR or WGBH a couple weeks ago but... I wasn't hooked.

Watching Kennedy in the House, he was doing good work on opioid-related bills. But that's about all I know.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Bernie gets CA and TX, does he still have a chance?

This time, at least w/ CA and TX, proportional delegates are actually fucking Bernie. Right now, even if he wins Texas, the margin doesn't seem to be that big so he's not going to gain more than 10-20 delegates over Biden for it. In a winner take all scenario, that would be a whole different story. Same with California, he could win it but have enough dilution of the delegates that he doesn't end up taking a huge haul that he could get if it was winner take all.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
For people who don't get why I'm laughing my ass off at the Alabama Senate results-

Tubs is literally running on the platform of "I coached a 13-0 Auburn team that didn't get a fair shot at the national championship".

In Alabama, that gets you the Republican nomination for Senate.

God I wish Saban would run. He would get 90% of the vote, no lie.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't confuse our displeasure for Biden to mean that we'll vote for that orange idiot.

I'll vote for Biden in the GE, doesn't mean I'm gonna do it with a smile.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Folks need to realize that the "they", isn't some vague Democratic establishment. It's actual voters. Actual voters are choosing Biden in the states he's winning and at some point, you have to ask why Sanders was unable to reach those people.

The same is true in the states Sanders won.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
You always do the best choice. I 100% think Biden is better than Trump. But I think they are both emblematic of America's failures. The fact that Biden is what the dems think they can push against Trump is embarassing
It's disheartening but I really feel the next decade or so is gonna bring a bigger shift to the left and what people like Sanders, Warren, and AOC champion. We have to ride this mediocrity out. Biden sucks ass but he's still better than Republicans. He's not Bloomberg bad. Put that on a bumper sticker.

What is heartening is the turnout.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
this is dumb. CNN won't call Utah for Bernie. He's far and away the winner. And Texas has been 29/23 Bernie/Biden for like two hours. Just call it.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes. Biden is better than Sanders because it's not fun to hear about how shitty it is that 1% of people hold the majority of America's wealth.

Lets focus on what's fun to listen to instead of actual fucking issues.

Psst Biden spoke of the same exact wealth inequality.

But it's also possible to speak about other topics as well. Apparently something that Bernie isn't aware of?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's had a lifelong stuttering problem. I'm not going to go at him for that. I'll go at him for not putting five good plans together.

Him stuttering isn't related to his train of thought evaporating, time and time again, in front of a live camera. I think people can deduce the differences.

This is our savior, y'all. Maybe empires really do end in astounding fashion.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at the doom and gloom in this thread, then looking at the real world and seeing voters were enthusiastic to vote for Biden. He is winning new first time voters. Turnout is higher than 2008 and 2016. I think folks are living in a bubble. I didn't think this would happen either, yet here we are. If Biden is the nominee, I think he got this.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear we've got plenty of people in this forum who are enjoying Bernie's loss even if that means Biden – assuming the dusty old centrist can even win come November – will ensure plenty more poor people die from poor healthcare (or an utter lack of it) while the wealthy get wealthier on the backs of their serfs, paying stagnant wages and tossing down an occasional scrap. Perhaps we'll even get another nasty recession (there are certainly plenty of indicators to suggest one is coming) so that Joe and the rest of the centrist, corporate boot-licking Democrats can pass legislation allowing the middle and working classes to foot the next bailout so that Wall Street doesn't miss a step.

The thing is – for the true progressives amongst us – this was never just about Bernie. I would have celebrated a Warren victory with equal vigor and optimism but what we're caught in is a duopolistic, forced binary political system where both sides are being controlled by the wealthiest members of our society even when that control means the destruction of the planet, the sustained oppression of the lower classes, the continued criminalization of drug addicts to keep private prisons stocked, healthcare as a revenue stream and the blowing up of brown people overseas.

The only people who should be celebrating are the monumental, rapacious motherfuckers who are – this very moment – plotting strategies on how to raise premiums on your already overpriced healthcare, skirt if not override federal regulations so that they can keep fucking up your drinking water, and looking to put further restrictions on those crippling college loans you took out.

And to be clear if Biden is the nominee I'll vote for him but I'm also fully aware that all he is – all most of the Democratic Party is – is a slower-acting poison.

It ain't about just Sanders. He's obviously not the future of progressivism. The long time senator of turbo white Vermont was not speaking to any other demographic of America from any place that wasn't political ideology through the lens of classism.

That's why he's not a good leader - people only projected those qualities on to him. But he is the spark for the movement, and there is hope in grassroots coalition building, but it will not happen over night. This is generational work here.

Oct 25, 2017
I will rephrase that to pacs but i know pacs would pour money into a district supporting a moderate over a progressive and the progressive really has no chance since they don't have money like that. Most do the door to door thing or single contributions and hope to get some media attention but that is hard when you getting outspent 5 to 1

I mean yeah, Citizen's United sucks and should be repealed.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Biden the first president of the United States who has a hard time putting five words together at once what a time to be alive.

I assume you're just not counting Trump.

But have you forgotten George W Bush? "Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

Apparently idiots is what Americans prefer to vote in as president.

Status
Not open for further replies.