• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm dissapointed just as much as everyone else as a Bernie supporter, but now is the time we to unite together to defeat Trump and if the people decided it was Biden to take that task then so be it.

4 more years of Trump unchecked will completely destroy our generation.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just tired of establishment candidates that have zero intent on actually implementing robust social programs. I don't want to settle for a status-quo moderate just cause the bar has been pushed stupendously low.
Sure agreed that's why I support Bernie but I'm not going to not vote if he isn't the nominee. Things might be catastrophic long term of Trump wins again.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Anecodtally, I have a story that makes Biden look like a decent bet in the national election.

I walked into my polling station and the only guy there was throwing a fit about how he would have to register as a Democrat to vote in the primary. Caused a scene, wanted to be labelled as an independent but vote in dem primary. He said several times that he is a Republican but cant vote for Trump, but he doesnt want to "get registered" as someone with the DFL. He said that Biden is the only one to beat Trump.

The ladies working just kept reiterating that he has to pick a side to vote in the primary. General election has independents, but this primary did not. Dude was not happy.

Eventually it was obvious he bit the bullet and went for the DFL, and presumably for the centrist candidate Biden.

I voted for Bernie. I'm not confident about his chances here in Minnesota, with Amy's endorsement of Biden, but we will see what happens.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Guys, it's going to be between Biden and Bernie, and it's going to be a battle of attrition. Put those 2 together on a debate stage and see how well Biden does.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the margins here?
Where are you seeing the results for Harris County though? Everywhere I look is just the initial results, and it's virtually a tie. Judging by the fact that Travis and Tarrant have Bernie pretty far ahead, I'm pretty hopeful that the same happens here.
M5mk3pG.png

That aint a good luck guys.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Do you understand that even if Bernie wins the nomination and the presidency that these things won't magically come into existence? That Bernie has indicated no actual feasible plan to get any of this through the Senate? That he is still not publically for the eradication of the filibuster? How does any of that get done?

If we question all candidates along these lines, we won't get anywhere. Regardless, the member you're quoting spoke of Intent.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
People saying "Well MORE PEOPLE just wanted Biden!" are ignoring the obvious ploy that was the last-second drop outs and endorsements by Buttigieg and Klobuchar. They were turned into sacrificial lambs at the behest of the DNC because they saw Biden win one state and saw they had one chance to stop Sanders. Buttigieg was ahead of Biden in multiple states and he just up and dropped out like that? It's more than coincidental.

The DNC wants Sanders stopped, plain and simple, and they're willing to sacrifice generations of goodwill and elections if it means stopping the party from going further left. They'd rather see Trump in office than Bernie. They make more money that way.

Yep. You nailed it. And this anti-Sanders coalescing is why I changed my mind on "Vote Blue No Matter Who" this election. I'm not voting for Biden in November. I'm in Mississippi, so I can feel free to vote my conscience. If I was in a swing state, I'd grin and bear it for Biden like I did with Clinton, but I don't have to make that shitty choice here and I won't. I'll vote blue for the rest of the ticket.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I agree with this in a sense. The Moderate Democrats banded together with Biden while the only 2 progressives are still in it and the weaker of the 2 (Warren) is taking momentum away. The DNC through the media really did all they could to blunt Sanders imo
There are two progressives in the race and two moderates.

I really don't understand how that equals everyone unfairly ganging up on Bernie.

Oct 27, 2017
The narrative that is now seemingly getting pushed around that Sanders ran a lazy campaign is kind of strange. What other campaign put out more of an on-the-ground grassroots initiative? Especially compared to Biden's tired-ass campaign.

Bernie needs to drop out and endorse Biden.

I kind of almost admire the outright enthusiasm for Biden. Like, I'm sure a bunch are happy about this, but at least you're outwardly enthusiastic. If you're not trolling, that is.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Bernie took Colorado, is projected to win Texas, and will likely win California. What's with all the doom and gloom here?
Bernie is underperforming in every state and Biden is over performing. That indicates it's possible Bernie underperforms in TX and CA leaving him either tied with Biden or possibly even trailing Biden in delegates. CA was supposed to result in him leaving the night with a 200+ delegate lead. That looks increasingly unlikely.

May 26, 2018
what's selfish is throwing away any chance for progress and hope for actually improving the country so you can try to elect another centrist

There is still a slow path to progress if Biden becomes president. It may be long and frustrating, but the environment will still at least exist for people to try.

If Trump gets a second term, the floor will become lava across every American territory. Intimately. The lava will flow down the streets and cross your threshold to personally burn you alive.

I'm not an American, but I am very much a Sanders supporter (and would very happily vote for Warren if she became the candidate). Biden is way down on my list of people I would like to support. Here's my attempt to sell you on Joe Biden anyways.

Let's assume that the bare minimum President Biden gives the United States is a rollback of the most egregious Republican policies of the last few years: no more kids in cages, lifting the immigration bans, maybe beginning to restore the bureaucracy that got hollowed out (like the State Department). Pretend he does absolutely nothing else during that time, enacts no policies of his own, doesn't try to push a single thing beyond what already exists. Short of a major accident, health issue or assassination, Joe Biden will be President for the next four years, and even if he does die in that time, the Presidency will be in the hands of a Democrat.

In this scenario, Joe Biden is still giving you the gift of time.

Two years of Obama-era immigration policy, while certainly not perfect and definitely not a deportation-free policy, means two years to prepare for the possibility of it happening again, to build organizations and communities better able to protect against its people being stolen by ICE and imprisoned for no good reason. Two years of building up the country's civil service again can mean two years of reinforcing something we now know can be lost so easily due to neglect or passive malignancy. Two years of protection for the Affordable Care Act means two more years that Americans will have slightly less shitty healthcare than they could've had under Trump. That's thousands of people that get to be alive. Two years of a Biden administration directing Supreme Court appointees... well, maybe they'll all be Merrick Garland'd, but at least we know what that looks like, and at minimum we won't be filling those lifetime appointments with right-leaning justices in the meantime.

Even if you assume that after two years Biden's administration will be so weak that Democrats lose the House and Senate and then the Presidency in 2024, Biden will have given you time that you do not currently have. Four more years of Trump guarantees that he will move forward on his agenda, emboldened by a renewed mandate and either unshackled because he no longer has to worry about re-election due to term limits, or unshackled because he no longer has to worry about term limits. And yes, this is partially a "he's not Trump" argument. But let's be clear about what that means. It's not "well we got essentially the same guy except he doesn't spray tan himself." There is a meaningful difference. More importantly, it means the activist communities that have formed around people like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren can continue gathering resources and planning for the future. Building coalitions, pushing downballot races further left, keeping Medicare For All and corporate malfeasance in the spotlight--all these things are easier to do when you're not simultaneously busy trying to fight the existential threat that is the current administration.

The biggest mistake we made as a society in 2008 is that we thought the job was done once Obama won. We were wrong. Some people, who have suffered longer and harder than most of us, knew this implicitly and tried to make us see the error of our ways. The job is never done, victory is never complete. Even if it accomplishes absolutely nothing else of value, a Biden administration buys you time, and that can be the most valuable commodity of all.

This is a fucking great post and deserves to be stapled to the top of EVERY page of EVERY political thread on this site. Maybe across every left-leaning site on the internet. It's the raw, undistilled sauce of the matter.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol they're already screeching at people who won't vote for biden if he wins the nom

Anyone with sense would be screeching at you to vote for a literal pile of shit given the alternative. And it only has to be done because Bernie Stans on this site are so forward about their great desire to take their ball and go home if they don't get everything exactly their way. Do you really think there's some huge contingent on ERA who actually think Biden is the best person running? Almost nobody here thinks that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dissapointed just as much as everyone else as a Bernie supporter, but now is the time we to unite together to defeat Trump and if the people decided it was Biden to take that task then so be it.

4 more years of Trump unchecked will completely destroy our generation.
Not giving up hope yet, but I will come home for Biden if it happens. Shit isn't worth it.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Those of you saying you won't vote for Biden in the general aren't really allies or progressives I'd argue.

You're just tribalists.

This this THIS. So much this.

Progressives don't pout and whine and then bow out of the process when they don't get their way. They keep fighting, and sometimes that means swallowing your pride and voting for the candidate that wasn't your first choice. That's how we remove this orange fuckstain from office, not by throwing a hissy fit and staying home.

Terra

May 15, 2019
My friend just sent me a text that he slipped and fractured his back and he had to take an ambulance ride to the hospital. This as joe "I guess I'll slightly fix Obamacare" Biden makes a charge. Everything tonight makes me want to die

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beg you guys thinking of not voting in november to reconsider.

If trump wins hes just going to place his daughter on the ballot in 2024 and more racist criminals in the government. Pence is still gonna pence. Lets like... not make that a thing.

Bernie said he will support whoever wins no matter what, thats what i intend to do.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Or, you know, you could learn to read.

Oh nice, now we're getting to the insults.

What you are asking for is literally stacking the deck. Split the majority moderate vote so the minority progressive wins. That's what you are saying they should have done, and are claiming it's a conspiracy that they didn't.

I can read just fine, thanks.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's not the kids fault. It's Bernies fault for hedging on a voting bloc that never shows up.

Again, this isn't about Bernie specifically. I personally feel that there is nothing that Bernie could have done to increase the youth vote considerably. I'm merely trying to call out people blaming young people themselves as if they're some lazy hypocritical hive-mind.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Turnout in virginia is DOUBLE from where it was in 4 years ago.

People fucking turned out to vote for Biden.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Never Republican, but thinking either independent or green party, whatever you can say I'm throwing my vote away, just tired of the Democrats giving us lame ducks. Like I said I will vote blue this coming election but done with the democratic party.

I registered Independent, but I've only voted for Democrats anyway. I doubt any Republican will be coming along and taking my vote.

I was done with both parties and turned independent when I found out how politics really works. The only reason I'm an independent is that I had to register as something so that I could vote. That should tell you how fucked up the system is right there.

Is that a thing for all states? I've never heard of that before.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm for Bernie but I ain't gonna be mad if he doesn't win. I'll support whoever... except Bloomberg... fuck that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.