• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
ok if anyone wants spoilers here you go
  • sleepy joe is going to be relentlessly brutalized from now till november
  • his debate with trump will be considered the first nationally televised case of mutual elder abuse
  • trump mops the floor with joe "Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids" biden
You're completely omitting Hunter and Ukraine which is the main point Trump will drive on.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever the next social democrat star is going to be needs to be way more inclusive and way less aggressive than Bernie and his team. Medicare 4 all and other progressive ideas are clearly very popular, I just don't think Bernie is the right person to be leading the charge as he's clearly incredibly off-putting to older voters and black voters.

If Sanders loses the primary I'm convinced the progressive wing needs to just wait for the boomers to die off. Biden is not the future of the party and everyone knows it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie couldn't convince AA voters to vote for him. This is something they've had years to prepare for. This loss is on his campaign. Can't really blame voters here. I am really disappointed by the results so far :/
Yup. One of the biggest issues with his previous campaign and not enough progress was made there.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I can only hope that Bloomberg's hatred of Trump causes him to throw that money Biden's way if/when he becomes the nominee.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and also has seemingly made the exact same campaigning mistakes in 2020....

This is what gets me.

WHAT EXACTLY DID BERNIE AND HIS STAFFERS LEARN IN 2016? WHY ARE THEY DOING THE SAME SHIT AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS?

Sorry for the all caps but it just boggles the mind that they seemed to learn nothing from 2016? Did they just think the Trump hate would be enough to push them over? Where they really that shortsighted and naive?

Bernie did fix his biggest problem. He brought in more diversity to the campaign and the ground game was strong.

IMO the problem isn't with the campaign. The simple fact is the young voters that he tried to court did not turn out.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I think the story of the night is Bernie made a huge strategic mistake and should have been camping out in black communities since 2016. Biden isn't great on minority issues, but being Obama's guy gives him a pass with Black voters.

You can't lose 66% of the black vote and be the Dem nominee.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I get Trump not wanting to debate Bernie, but I don't see why he'd refuse one against Biden. Even 2020 Trump could rinse Grandpa Simpson in a debate.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
All the "Biden will lose to Trump" fear-mongering needs to stop. There are a shitload of variables that are different this time.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting how effective Biden's campaign will be against Trump. Hopefully he somehow gets better at it - mainly talking about how he's a gaffe machine. Really wanted Bernie to win, but yeah, the writing is on the wall.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the establishment realizes they also need the youth vote to turn out in November.

I do want to wait until everything comes in, but based on what we see so far the youth vote isn't turning out for him in the primaries. Hell he's doing worse in his own state overall compared to 2016.

At some point you gotta look at that and ask why.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Not as much as they need the non-white and suburbanite vote. It worked for them in 2018 when young voters were predictably mia.
More younger voters came out then older voters actually...

www.pewresearch.org

Gen Z, Millennials and Gen X outvoted older generations in 2018 midterms

Midterm voter turnout reached a modern high in 2018, and Generation Z, Millennials and Generation X accounted for a narrow majority of those voters

So yes, they need the youth vote.

Deleted member 10224

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump/Biden debates are going to be insane. Biden is going to try to out alpha Trump on the debate stage and probably embarrass himself. I wouldn't be shocked if Biden did one of those "friendly face slaps" on Trump lol

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Didn't happen in 2016 either. Just like with Corbyn, the "WE WILL TURN OUT NEW/LAPSED VOTERS" thesis... is just wish fulfillment/projection.

That plus it's just unlikely to be caused by yet another old white dude. Young people want to be inspired, they want change. Expecting an 70+ year old white man to inspire them to come out in droves is unrealistic.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie did fix his biggest problem. He brought in more diversity to the campaign and the ground game was strong.

IMO the problem isn't with the campaign. The simple fact is the young voters that he tried to court did not turn out.

Then the problem is with his campaign. And getting curbstomped by Biden with regards to black voters in the south, JUST LIKE last time tells me that no, he fixed fuck all with his campaign...

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Disappointed in NC. But this is democracy so... Oh fucking well.

But while we're at it, I will list the things that a Biden presidency will assure we do NOT get.

no medicare for all
no marijuana legalization
no college debt forgiveness programs
no green new deal
nothing will change for the rich (his words paraphrased, not mine.)
the military industrial complex will remain the monster that it is

So, there. But if I'm trying to be optimistic...

No more Trump (maybe)
we'll be able to protect the supreme court for 4 more years
we'll be able to have more time to flip the senate and the rest blue
we'll have to try for a progressive candidate again another time.

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is gonna get stomped in the general unless the economy collapses (which to be fair, may very well happen).

He basically tripped over to the nomination with the Democratic establishment and media playing all the dirty tricks they can to help him.

The dirty trick of totally writing him off after the first two races? Spamming coverage of Pete, Bloomberg, and Amy? Like, what dirty tricks are you referring to, specifically?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm a conservative Trump voter.

I will say this, Bernie would more than likely beat Trump. He represents a style of change that energizes the youth vote. If Bernie were to get the ticket, you'd probably see record youth vote, but from the looks of things, Bernie more than likely is losing to Biden. Biden will more than likely lose huge to Trump.
This isn't panning out. Biden appears to be getting 2018 midterm voters, which carried Dems to the House. If he gets that type of activity, he likely wins.

Bernie has failed to significantly expand his base and drive the youth vote. They're too unreliable to count on. Dems rode the suburbs to victory in 2018, not the youth vote. Now of course the suburb vote could just as easily break for Trump. But he's never done especially well there and many people there just hate him. Biden will also need to keep or at least improve the minority vote too, which will be a challenge.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
AOC knows the formula.

Lol AOC is just as angry and polarizing as Bernie.

I know no one here wants to believe it but hate him or not Pete is the solution to convincing moderates to go progressive. It's not as exciting as going all the way with the Bern, but progress is not always through the exciting solution.

Biden loves Pete. If he defeats Trump I'm hoping he can convince him into progressive solutions involving Healthcare and Climate

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I think she's running for president.

While I admire her dedication to her campaign, there is essentially no path to victory for her. After SC it was clear that this is the Biden v Bernie show. The moderates saw this and dropped out to endorse Biden. Warren didn't do the same to endorse Bernie.

This is negatively affecting the candidate who will carry out policy that closely overlaps with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.