• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Checked 538 and they are giving Biden the win. Fuck this shit, is Warren really going to split the progressive vote for absolutely no reason?

In their delegate forecast Warren has less than the difference between Biden and Sanders. Bloomberg is taking more from Biden than Warren is from Sanders.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The difference is I'm friends with the Bernie supporters but could give a shit what Chris Matthews shills do on a daily basis. Bernie supporters are taking their friends who disagree with them on ANY level and making them out to be dumb heartless bastards. It hurts to be on the receiving end of that. More than the whole "haha bernie bros so bad" rabble
You mean, your Bernie supporter friends. Why should we care that you have a few friends who are assholes? Why should we care only about Bernie supporters being mean, as you paint them, rather than everyone else's supporters, or how it's always been?

Sure, it hurts to be on the receiving end of that, but you're framing it im a manner to attack all Bernie supporters as a way exclusive to them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is a presidential campaigning season, that's just how it is. There's plenty of mini Chris Mathews out there saying us Bernie supporters want to murder anyone with money, or worse. Some Clinton supporters latched onto the "Obama is not a citizen" during their primaries. Some in certain states flat out called him the n-word. It's always ugly, especially these days with social media being what it is.

That's actually really not "how it is." We're not even at the most contentious point in the race, we've only had 4 primary contests. Clinton / Sanders was bitter, but mostly towards the convention and not like this, and this vocal minority of Sanders supporters aren't just going after a guy like Bloomberg with attacks like this, but anybody who isn't Bernie Sanders... Progressive, moderate, minority, woman, gay, it doesn't matter who the candidate is, there is a vitriol reserved for them that I've only ever seen once in a primary -- the 2016 Republican primary and how Trump supporters went after the rest of the Republican field. This is now my ... lemme think ... sixth primary that I've followed really closely, maybe seventh if I include 1996 but I was just a dumb teenager then so, really six that I've been an adult paying attention to, and there's never been this sort of vitriol before.

It's not business as usual, it's very unusual. I think the biggest factor is the nature of the internet has turned us into beasts, but there's a vitriol from a vocal minority supporters of the Sanders campaign that isn't anything like Chris Matthews. But even beyond that, that's a false equivalency... Chris Matthews got fired (Well...... "Mutually came to terms to end our relationship" or however they put it), and I don't think anybody defended his bull shit. But, the really nasty attacks on Harris, O'Rourke, Warren, Buttigieg, obviously Biden, there are very few people among Sanders supporters who disavow those attacks, they seem to promote them, laugh along with them, and then when someone pushes back that they're wrong or overly nasty or whatever, they tend to play a "both sides are bad" game or argue that it's justified because "The DNC!!" or some other nonsense. When Buttigieg pulled out of the race the thread was packed with people calling him "a rat" which ... like ... dude that's so fucked up to dehumanize your political opponents, it's shit that happens in totalitarian dictatorships, and when someone protested saying like "Listen I don't agree with everything Buttigieg says, but c'mon this seems extreme..." people replied with "Wait you seriously trying to tone police on Pete Buttigieg!?" With the obvious implication here being that Pete Buttigieg -- liberal young politician who doesn't have particularly upsetting political ideals -- deserves to be dehumanized, like, dehumanizing him is just a normal thing to do. That's perverse. Like the mindset is so warped to think that is okay or that's the expected way to treat opponents running for president on your own ticket.

It's not how it is and it's not normal. It's abnormal.

now, I don't want to be unfair to Sanders -- hell I'm voting for the guy in 6mos if he's the nominee and I'm supporting him till the end in that case -- or even to Sanders supporters. I think it's an overly loud vocal minority, not the majority, and over-represented on the internet on Twitter, some Reddit sub communities, and communities like this one. But, when someone brings these things up and the "normal Sanders supporters" downplay them, or equivocate, or say "it's just an anecdote," or -- as is the case recently -- try to pretend like "people complaining about Bernie Bros are the real problem" they're trying to downplay the sort of vicious attacks from this small vocal minority, enabling it.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was never about propping up Trump. I cannot for the life of me see why you think that I think that the prospect of people perhaps trying to influence people to not vote for Biden in the GE would be done with the intention of propping up Trump and not out of their principle of not voting for Biden. It's completely irrational and I'm going to stop interacting with you on this now.

yeah it's not like you asked this word for word or anything

"Is it that they really don't want people voting Trump out if Sanders doesn't get the nom?"

and you can't for the life of you see how blunting a candidate's only competitor could be seen as propping the other candidate up? it's still a two party system unless I missed something

either way sorry if I was too harsh, your posts were really bad though

and again in the future to avoid back and forths like this maybe quote the select posters you have an issue with. to ask an open question like you did is to basically implicate the thread instead of the few posters you never actually talked to

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this place went from cautiously optimistic to clawing out each other's eyes in a flash didn't it

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
That's actually really not "how it is." We're not even at the most contentious point in the race, we've only had 4 primary contests. Clinton / Sanders was bitter, but mostly towards the convention and not like this, and this vocal minority of Sanders supporters aren't just going after a guy like Bloomberg with attacks like this, but anybody who isn't Bernie Sanders... Progressive, moderate, minority, woman, gay, it doesn't matter who the candidate is, there is a vitriol reserved for them that I've only ever seen once in a primary -- the 2016 Republican primary and how Trump supporters went after the rest of the Republican field. This is now my ... lemme think ... sixth primary that I've followed really closely, maybe seventh if I include 1996 but I was just a dumb teenager then so, really six that I've been an adult paying attention to, and there's never been this sort of vitriol before.

It's not business as usual, it's very unusual. I think the biggest factor is the nature of the internet has turned us into beasts, but there's a vitriol from a vocal minority supporters of the Sanders campaign that isn't anything like Chris Matthews. But even beyond that, that's a false equivalency... Chris Matthews got fired (Well...... "Mutually came to terms to end our relationship" or however they put it), and I don't think anybody defended his bull shit. But, the really nasty attacks on Harris, O'Rourke, Warren, Buttigieg, obviously Biden, there are very few people among Sanders supporters who disavow those attacks, they seem to promote them, laugh along with them, and then when someone pushes back that they're wrong or overly nasty or whatever, they tend to play a "both sides are bad" game or argue that it's justified because "The DNC!!" or some other nonsense. When Buttigieg pulled out of the race the thread was packed with people calling him "a rat" which ... like ... dude that's so fucked up to dehumanize your political opponents, it's shit that happens in totalitarian dictatorships, and when someone protested saying like "Listen I don't agree with everything Buttigieg says, but c'mon this seems extreme..." people replied with "Wait you seriously trying to tone police on Pete Buttigieg!?" With the obvious implication here being that Pete Buttigieg -- liberal young politician who doesn't have particularly upsetting political ideals -- deserves to be dehumanized, like, dehumanizing him is just a normal thing to do. That's perverse. Like the mindset is so warped to think that is okay or that's the expected way to treat opponents running for president on your own ticket.

It's not a normal thing for a decent human being to to do, but it's a normal thing to happen. It's vile, but pretending like this doesn't consistently happen is wrong. And saying this is something unique to Sanders supporters is an outright lie.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017

Agree with everything you said.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

now, I don't want to be unfair to Sanders -- hell I'm voting for the guy in 6mos if he's the nominee and I'm supporting him till the end in that case -- or even to Sanders supporters. I think it's an overly loud vocal minority, not the majority, and over-represented on the internet on Twitter, some Reddit sub communities, and communities like this one. But, when someone brings these things up and the "normal Sanders supporters" downplay them, or equivocate, or say "it's just an anecdote," or -- as is the case recently -- try to pretend like "people complaining about Bernie Bros are the real problem" they're trying to downplay the sort of vicious attacks from this small vocal minority, enabling it.
excellent post. you've articulated my feelings on the current political landscape better than I ever could have. It feels more toxic than ever and I fear it will only get worse :(

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
So we cannibalizing each other now? Come on.... we're better than this.

We'll regurgitate all this bile after the nominee becomes clear, there is a lot of pent up animosity from 2016 when the progressive wing felt betrayed and even some from 2018 where the moderates over-performed.

It's the airing of grievances, but come November they'll still pull the handle if it's Biden or Bernie... unless you're thoughthaver.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
huh, you think people who can't afford healthcare and literally have to ration their medicine are privileged because they won't vote for a corporatist democrat who isn't going to do anything to help them?

uh, that is certainly an opinion I suppose.

a Biden presidency would be exactly the same thing as a Sanders one as far as healthcare goes regardless of what they say

they'll both pass what the senate lets them pass which will be a public option with a democratic senate and nothing with a republican one

M4A is flat out not happening,what's Sanders gonna do in a hypothetical world where he's president? threaten to primary Manchin in fucking West Virginia over it in 2024?

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In their delegate forecast Warren has less than the difference between Biden and Sanders. Bloomberg is taking more from Biden than Warren is from Sanders.

If you listen to their most recent podcast they also mention there aren't enough polls since South Carolina to really update the model in an accurate way. So there's not a solid prediction happening there.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The bad and dumb shit Biden said and did isn't going away, especailly when the rightwing machine start putting their work in on Biden.
True, but that doesn't excuse people not paying attention to sources. Like the "Biden wanted to build a wall" video. It just flat out wasn't what it was claimed to be.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you on plenty, especially the dehumanization of Pete. I wasn't all for him, but the way some people have treated him is gross. But I do think this type of nastiness has existed in past primaries. Bush/McCain in South Carolina?

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This thought process honestly needs to stop. People act like the differences between some Democrats are as significant as the differences between the average Democrat and Republic. It's such horse shit.

The difference between anti-capitalists and capitalists arguably is bigger than the difference between the left and right wings of capital.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ok so as a Bernie supporter who doesn't participate in toxic discourse (at least I hope I didn't) and never called anyone a rat or a snake, what are we supposed to do? It feels like our movement is getting narratively railroaded by the toxic online supporters.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy

100%.
That's why it's hard to post here, and hard to be on most social media platforms, it's like fired up Sanders supporters are living in a one dimensional fever dream with only their truth being valid.

there are bigger things at stake here in this primary,vote your heart but to drag down others is to intentionally splinter a voting bloc that needs to be united to win the bigger game. There's so much at stake with who controls the next 4 years of appointments, the court, climate, etc that it'd painful to see so many people try and deflate and dehumanize others. It's contributing to the symptoms, not the solutions.

I'm voting progressive in the primary, and democratic in the general. You can be a Sanders support and not tear others down. His ideas are infectious and we all should be inspiring others to adopt them, not shut people out of it. We don't know who the next Sanders will be but you'll kill
Him or her early and not even knowing it if you become a platform that's exclusive.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
It's not a normal thing for a decent human being to to do, but it's a normal thing to happen. It's vile, but pretending like this doesn't consistently happen is wrong. And saying this is something unique to Sanders supporters is an outright lie.

You're right, it's something that indecent human beings do. It also does come out of other campaigns as well, but in the Democratic primary, it's overwhelmingly coming out of a Sanders-supporting vocal, overly loud minority. But what's just as sad is that people like you who are rightly recognizing that this is an indecent thing that people are doing, can't be brought to criticize people do who it as long as it's in support of Sanders and attacking other candidate: You'll deflect, play both sides, say it's normal, say it's part of primary politics, act like "the real problem is people saying this is unique to Sanders," do all else, except for take people to task making those attacks.

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
We'll regurgitate all this bile after the nominee becomes clear, there is a lot of pent up animosity from 2016 when the progressive wing felt betrayed and even some from 2018 where the moderates over-performed.

It's the airing of grievances, but come November they'll still pull the handle if it's Biden or Bernie... unless you're thoughthaver.
tag me coward

Mylonite

May 15, 2019
I'm enjoying it, even sweeter when Biden wins.

I don't agree with him, but I also don't think treating this as a child's game is a fruitful approach either.

I'm not going to take any sort of joy from seeing other people's preferred candidates lose. That serves literally no purpose and amounts to just trolling.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing som3 insults to a gucking totalitarian dictatorship, jesus FUCKING Christ some of you...

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Did my civic duty and voted for The Klob ❤️
I hope my fellow Klobgoblins did the same!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Some perspective.

inb4 she has to say that but what she really means is...

Addendum: This is also important -

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
We should all settle down and wait for tonight's outcome. What are we trying to accomplish by being hostile to each other on this thread? It won't change the outcome at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.