• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
GCB is ~+8 right now
Biden is polling well above the required +2.5 to have a high chance of winning the EC vs the popular vote buffer.
Biden is maintaining the suburban swing we saw continue from 2016 -> 2018 -> 2020
Biden is the current candidate who is polling in relation to gaining a Democratic majority Senate

Anyone saying "Biden is four more years of Trump" are talking out of their ass.
Ehhh, months and months of Burisma and Hunter Biden leading every newscast is going to sink him.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I would like to point out and this is something that 538 noted, that the polls out today showing a sudden surge toward Biden are low quality, online only, high margin of error polls taken over a period of about 1 day. All of the movement towards Biden over the last 24 hours or so in the polls are based on results from one polling company using these low quality methods to get voter preference data. There just wasn't enough time between SC and Super Tuesday to conduct highly reliable polls, so we are left with mostly online polling data from little known pollsters.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
This is kind of out there. The primaries are place for us to vote for the candidate we think should be president. My choice is Warren. I will vote blue no matter what in November, but telling me who I vote for in the primaries is stupid. This is the time for me to express my choice in a candidate that I want. Warren is smart, has great policies that cover both progressive and moderate ideas, I think she can make a difference on policy in D.C., she is the youngest of all the candidates, and is a woman.

it's a primary. voting for who I think would make the best president.
Will support whoever wins the General. As they as they beat Trump, which is what the shared goal should still be. We can keep shifting left next time. If we lose, that 'next time' gets impossibly further away. Just think of what Trump will do to the courts. My god, let's still focused.

Let's go Warren!

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder for today:

Biden came in fourth in Iowa.

Biden came in fifth in New Hampshire.

Biden wasn't even close to beating Bernie in Nevada.

Biden has only one office in California compared to Sanders' 23.

Biden's presence in Super Tuesday states has been largely non-existent.

Anyone can answer a poll at home. To actually get out and vote is another matter entirely.

That's not incorrect but at the same time these polls are scientific and usually pretty close to what happens. Polling is typically conducted on likely voters, not just random people. Not to mention the people who vote in a primary are usually the most passionate and most informed parts of the electorate.

Regardless, it you're able to vote today you should and please vote for Bernie :P

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Politicians dropping out and endorsing a candidate that's more aligned with them. Never happened before, it's a ploy to stop Bernie.

I'm not really saying it's a ploy, but it's not a secret most of the democratic party doesn't like Bernie because of what he stands and strives for.

That's the way it was always going to go. They were moderates. It makes sense that when they dropped out they'd support the moderate.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess it was inevitable. I just didn't expect most of them doing this at the same to counter attack Bernie on Super Tuesday.

They might not love Biden, but they hate working people. It's all about priorities.

It's unfortunate that we have to deal with this in 2020.

welcome to every primary ever

:'(

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
This thought process honestly needs to stop. People act like the differences between some Democrats are as significant as the differences between the average Democrat and Republic. It's such horse shit.
Who are you to make this claim, exactly? That's just how it is. It's part of the problem of having such a big tent.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
"more aligned with them" doesn't explain Beto, who has publicly advocated against Biden.

Beto talked about telling his son he'd vote for Biden and his son saying then he should endorse him. Is he a liar? Did some shady figure at the DNC call him and forced him to endorse (even though most people really weren't even thinking about Beto at all at this juncture and it's unlikely his endorsement ends up meaning much)?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, is today more of a Return Trip or Funeralopolis kind of day re: which Electric Wizard song to play on infinite repeat as we watch the world end?
Please elaborate as to how my (eventual) vote for Biden equates to killing you?
A large number of people die every year from not having healthcare and Biden doesn't want to do a single fucking thing about it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

pvXyKKF.jpg

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, is today more of a Return Trip or Funeralopolis kind of day re: which Electric Wizard song to play on infinite repeat as we watch the world end?

A large number of people die every year from not having healthcare and Biden doesn't want to do a single fucking thing about it.

Why do you think Biden doesn't care about healthcare reform when he has openly talked about a public option from day one

Seems to be a very strange thing to say given... the very easily accessible information on candidates.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
At this point, people still voting for Warren are putting their own spite before the needs of the poor

Gonna just bunker down and be there for my friends in the future. American neolibs cannot be trusted and never should be, they have chosen barbarism

I voted for Warren in MA because I think she is the best presidential candidate. I think Bernard would also be a good president, but I prefer Warren, therefore I voted for her.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Don't dangle black voters around like they're some kind of weapon that removes any culpability of the institutions that work to stop progressive movements. People want a candidate that will beat Trump and the majority of information sources have been since the last election hammering how progressives are unelectable and moderate candidates are the key to winning. That constant disingenuous messaging resonates well with almost all groups of people over time.
I'm not dangling black voters here. I'm stating why Biden is in the position he's in now. Voters flailed around with other options than Bernie then S.C. came along and black voters overwhelmingly said "this one," and that was that.

They could have gone with someone else, and if they did the ball game would be completely different.

Oct 25, 2017

Biden and his supporters want me to drown in medical debt while the billionaires who he promised nothing will change for continue to go about killing poor people for fun. And he's ready to let the planet die.

For working class people, for trans people, and for people with chronic medical conditions, we need free universal health care now. It's literally a matter of life and death.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a controversial take to say that I don't think "Vote Blue No Matter Who" is a good foundation for an energized voting populace? At this point it feels more like the affirming the powerlessness of those feeling disillusioned with the process and abandoned by the Democratic party.

For a moment it looked like we might have a collective realization at how hollow and cynical a catchphrase it was back when we were all panicking over Bloomberg, but then he got stomped and we were all spared that uncomfortable reflection.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you were driven by Warren's progressive policies, then Bernie is the only realistic choice right now to possibly win not only the nomination, but also in the GE (Warren strugggles to beat trump in the popular vote)

You can vote for whoever you want to, but I think it's poor political calculus to vote for Warren right now, if you believed in her policies and goals.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (1 month): racism
So you think black voters came out and voted for him in a massive wave because "he's the last candidate available who won't meaningfully try to change our nation's wealth inequality or interventionist foreign policy"?

Im not going to refute that he's run a shitty campaign but he's in the position he's in because of those voters.

I don't think black voters are beyond reproach for their ballot box behavior just because they're marginalized. Sorry, they're fucking up too.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think Biden doesn't care about healthcare reform when he has openly talked about a public option from day one
It's either an empty promise that he'll never even try to implement, or it'll be implemented so badly that he might as well not have tried.

But hey diabetics dying in droves because they can't afford insulin is none of Joe's concern.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hearts and minds change when people with money tell them how to change, sadly enough. If there was an actual progressive platform then these things would be different. I refuse to believe that America is somehow 20 years behind the rest of the world in terms of empathy.
I hate to break it to you, but Europe and the rest of the world aren't great on this either. Far right nationalist parties are rising worldwide and the Brexit campaign was one of the most xenophobic things imaginable, based entirely on "those evil eastern Europeans and non-white people are gonna come steal your job and ruin your country".

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've gotten a few text messages from campaigns/groups urging me to vote today. I already voted by absentee a month ago but now I'm getting anxiety my ballot was lost. I have zero logical reason to believe this so naturally it's all I can think about.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Is it a controversial take to say that I don't think "Vote Blue No Matter Who" is a good foundation for an energized voting populace? At this point it feels more like the affirming the powerlessness of those feeling disillusioned with the process and abandoned by the Democratic party.

For a moment it looked like we might have a collective realization at how hollow and cynical a catchphrase it was back when we were all panicking over Bloomberg, but then he got stomped and we were all spared the mercy of that uncomfortable reflection.

All polling shows Democrats hate Trump. That polling has been consistent, persistent, and clear since 2018. It has led to larger turnouts as well.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People told me that I was a necessary sacrifice because I had the gall to have a dying liver before their 10+ year plan called for it. So yeah, voting for someone who will not do anything about it would have killed me if complications arise and I run out of funds for it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

For a moment it looked like we might have a collective realization at how hollow and cynical a catchphrase it was back when we were all panicking over Bloomberg, but then he got stomped and we were all spared the mercy of that uncomfortable reflection.

I think it's an acknowledgement of how polarized we are and the tribalism that runs rampant in modern elections.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
The thought that the senator from MBNA would prioritize left-leaning issues on finance and healthcare reform would be hilarious if it wasn't so willfully naive.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten a few text messages from campaigns/groups urging me to vote today. I already voted by absentee a month ago but now I'm getting anxiety my ballot was lost. I have zero logical reason to believe this so naturally it's all I can think about.

You mean this ballot right here? <pats stack of staff ballots>

Isn't there some way you can check online?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think black voters are beyond reproach for their ballot box behavior just because they're marginalized. Sorry, they're fucking up too.
I kinda think that's a fucked up thing to say but judgement isn't really the conversation. I was responding to someone talking about why Biden is in the spot he's in and I said it's because of the black vote in SC being so heavily lopsided to him.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

This happens all the time. They don't check to see if you've already voted (doubt that info is public yet) and their info is usually from campaign data and your prior voter record.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The issue is that the entire reason Dems are in such a good position is because Trump is absolutely loathed in ways quite abnormal to a presidential incumbent. The economy has been doing well but even that hasn't been able to help his approvals, rather, it's kept the bottom from falling out of them.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I think Bernie is running an amazing campaign - Iowa was evidence of that.

I think the depressing truth may be that the majority of voting America just doesn't want change.

Yep, we might be two or three cycles away from people wanting change. As long as boomers are still the largest voting bloc, its almost an impossible task.

Hold up, you got some facts to back that up?

Cnn exit polls.
65+ turnout was 19% in 2016, 27% this time.

18-29 was at 11% this time, and was a bit higher in 2016.

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
To me it seems like the majority of Democratic voters didn't learn from the last election. The more "it's my candidate or nothing" attitude and Trump will win again.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's either an empty promise that he'll never even try to implement, or it'll be implemented so badly that he might as well not have tried.

But hey diabetics dying in droves because they can't afford insulin is none of Joe's concern.

So you really don't think Biden want's to implement a public option, which is what the ACA was supposed to have if Lieberman wasn't in office and threatened a filibuster?

Again, none of this is remotely an attempt at some type of honest conversation. Has Biden dismissed the cost of insulin? Is that something I missed?

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Because it's 100% correct. Please explain to me how the difference between Bernie and Biden is as significant as the difference between the average Democrat and average Republic.
There is a much bigger gulf between progressives and the centrists of the Democratic party than the centrists and, say, the Obama to Trump swing voters.

So you really don't think Biden want's to implement a public option, which is what the ACA was supposed to have if Lieberman wasn't in office and threatened a filibuster?

Again, none of this is remotely an attempt at some type of honest conversation. Has Biden dismissed the cost of insulin? Is that something I missed?
It's one thing to say something on the campaign trail. Going by Biden's record I have no faith that it will be a priority.

Oct 27, 2017
To me it seems like the majority of Democratic voters didn't learn from the last election. The more "it's my candidate or nothing" attitude and Trump will win again.
Thankfully nothing lasts for more than a few days anymore. Super Tuesday, what everyone is feeling right now, and this entire thread is going to feel like ancient history in a week.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017

Nothing wrong with falling in love with a candidate during the primary; just don't carry that mentality during the GE to the point where you won't vote or protest vote to give Trump a 2nd term.

Status
Not open for further replies.