• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
this is probably the last hurrah to do anything about climate change too. and ye here we are, about to put in an inoffensive centrist. man liberals truly are gonna get us all killed.
Ah yes she's thrown all her previous policy positions to the wind and fully endorsed a centrist campaign!

Wait, no... that's not what happened at all, I'm sorry.
that would imply that she was a progressive before all of this. still baffled that so many lefties called her a progressive when she's nothing more than a bog standard technocrat. proud of it too. "a capitalist to my bones". imagine being exposed to the pit of fucking evil shit that is banking in america and thinking "gee, this capitalism thing, i vibe with it!"

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
it's funny how status quo loving dems always use to loftiest of language but when it comes to supporting some basic ass shit they run for the hills
People keep on acting like moderate or pragmatic democrats want the status quo...most don't...but they don't think you are going to be able to get progress without building broader support. Especially in an election year where a large number of Americans say they feel economically comfortable. Feel free to disagree with their assessment, but to say that because someone doesn't want Bernie they don't want progress or they want people to die or that they only care about corporate profit is simply not true...

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
The establishment has done everything possible these last few days to demoralize and stack the deck against us. This is the best they've got and if Bernie pulls it off today he will win.

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of people want M4A, while simultaneously the majority of people don't want to lose their own health plans. Do you see the problem here?

That's from loaded questions in polling. When you clarify that people would be able to keep their current doctor and hospital the support is back up to the same levels as the generic support for Medicare for All.

No one fucking loves their private health insurance. They like their doctor and want to be sure they can keep them.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
imma be honest for a second, bernie or biden passing the torch after one term might not be the worst thing in the world

we have to win obviously but those two are fucking old man. like OLD old. you think Biden's gonna have the stamina for 2024?
Yeah, it's likely Bernie would also be only a one term president as well.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It used to be "yes we can" but now it is totally "no we can't", with a mixture of "Pie in the sky!!!!".

And ironically, Biden ends every stump speech with basically WE ARE AMERICA! WE CAN DO ANYTHING WE SET OURSELFS TO!.

It's all a dog and pony show to keep the status quo. No help is coming and more people will suffer under the weight of debt and fear of getting sick.
More and more I see Joe Biden as John Kerry 2.0: a milquetoast, visionless, middle-of-the-road option chosen not because he inspires anyone or advocates for any particular policy, but because he's perceived to be the least-offensive alternative to the competition.

No one voted for Kerry because he was Kerry; they simply voted for him because he wasn't George W. Bush. Didn't work then, won't work now. I don't think I've lived through a presidential election where the candidate with the less enthusiastic base won.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The establishment has done everything possible these last few days to demoralize and stack the deck against us. This is the best they've got and if Bernie pulls it off today he will win.
Agreed. This is their last Hail Mary to try and push a non-Bernie candidate into a delegate plurality, and if Bernie pulls off a win he's in a strong position to obtain the nomination.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The general voting public gives no shits about the supreme court. That isn't a reason the average person is going to vote for your candidate.

You have to GIVE THEM A REASON through POLICY to get someone to vote. Not force people into submission.

Biden's main policy is goign to be TRUMP BAD, which everyone thinks. But they arn't going to get excited to vote for Biden.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
No no, you don't get to have it both ways. It can't both simultaneously Bernie's fault that he doesn't get enough votes to win (which, btw hasn't happened yet) and voter's fault Biden theoretically doesn't get the presidency. Pick one. Either the candidate is to blame or the voter is to blame. Don't try to switch blame.
Didn't blame any candidate..I said if Dems don't come out and support whoever the nominee is (Biden or Bernie) and decide to cry that their side didn't win..it's on the voters for fucking the courts because they couldn't see the forest for the trees...

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just dont get why lowering your expectations is a good thing

I guess people living thanks to good healthcare and not being in vast debt and saving the planet is just expecting to much from our government. Things are just to bad right now to really do anything, right?

We CAN find more money for the military. We CAN find bail outs for corporations. We CAN find money for not even half of a border fence. We CAN fund a Space Force.

What we CANT do is actually help people. We CANT help the poor, get better healthcare, better education, save the environment. CANT.

And apparently Americans are so broken and abused that they think that's okay. We will take our crumbs left to us by our betters.
Greatest country in the world, and we can only accept mediocrity. Heck, not even that compared to the rest of the developed world.

America, the home of lowered expectations, brought to you by the DNC. Please sir, can I have some more?

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
How, specifically, have "they" "stacked the deck?"

Let's not kid ourselves, "the establishment" meaning the DNC, would absolutely want Biden over Bernie and have likely be actively working behind the scenes to try and secure endorsements and money. That is what they are doing to "stack the deck"... I.E. what the DNC does every Primary with the candidate they want to win.

Anything more than this is bordering on conspiratorial thought.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The general voting public gives no shits about the supreme court. That isn't a reason the average person is going to vote for your candidate.

You have to GIVE THEM A REASON through POLICY to get someone to vote. Not force people into submission.
Exactly. That's the point of a primary - to see who can generate more support in the electorate. That's why the person with the most votes will win.

If Bernie can't clear Biden, he probably couldn't win the general. If Biden can't clear Bernie, he probably couldn't win the general.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Saying "we have to temper our expectations and be realistic" isn't going to excite anyone whatsoever and is literally the dumbest political strategy ever. You don't run on that shit in the general! You need to maximize turnout from your base not depress it!

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Its because of the Pete and Amy dropouts, it's running on the theory that the vote is consolidated. We'll see how it turns out after today. I really hope Nate's theories and model is wrong. It's going to be a tough uphill if it isnt.

except Pete and Amy didn't get near viability recently, so it can't change THAT much. Plus as most say here, the second choices were pretty even across the board.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because for a good bit of people, that second choice also dropped out.

Also people were hoping more for Biden to be unviable in the first place. A 4 man race guarantees otherwise.

I think the biggest 2nd choice candidates are still on the ballot. Bernie, Warren, and Biden.

I think a lot of Pete and Klob supporters did not have Biden as their second or even third choice, lots of them would prefer Bernie or Warren.

I do not think their supports are going to consolidate to Biden like Nate thinks.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. That's the point of a primary - to see who can generate more support in the electorate. That's why the person with the most votes will win.

If Bernie can't clear Biden, he probably couldn't win the general. If Biden can't clear Bernie, he probably couldn't win the general.

But superdelegates don't represent the electorate and that's Biden only hope of beating Bernie.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Let's not kid ourselves, "the establishment" meaning the DNC, would absolutely want Biden over Bernie and have likely be actively working behind the scenes to try and secure endorsements and money. That is what they are doing to "stack the deck"... I.E. what the DNC does every Primary with the candidate they want to win.

This isn't even a 16 scenario where there were valid complaints about the process being unfair towards Bernie.

This is just candidates getting out of the race and endorsing who they want to be president. Theres nothing nefarious about that, its normal politics.

Bernie said it himself, whoever has more delegates should be the nominee. Let the voters decide who they want.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
How, specifically, have "they" "stacked the deck?"

Because Bernie's only path forward was a divided moderate faction I guess?

If he can't win 1v1 against a moderate in the primary then I don't know why he should be the candidate? I want Bernie to win as much as the next person here but he needs prove his theory that he can convince the youths and other non voters to actually vote.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lost both my grandparents because the medical system is fucking trash. My wife and I had to fight for 5 years to get a proper diagnosis for her and because of it I'm still buried under mountains of medical debt, that was WITH good health insurance. Everyone has a story to tell about how Insurance or Hospitals have fucked them or their family... but those personal stories aren't going to convince a union Steel Worker in Ohio to trust Bernie.

I was specifically talking about people telling me to my face that I deserved to die if I couldn't afford my liver transplant. It brought me so low that I was suicidal. So no, I will not shut up about people wanting people to die because I have personally experienced it and was nearly broken mentally and emotionally by it.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

Endorsements are "stacking the deck" now? Is everyone supposed to just keep their mouth shut about their preferences until the primary is over?

It's obvious that mainstream Dems would prefer Biden, but I have not yet seen one shred of evidence for any sort of nefarious conspiracy against Bernie. He will either have wide enough appeal to get more votes or he won't.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

If he can't win 1v1 against a moderate in the primary then I don't know why he should be the candidate?

Do the parties have different realities? Because Trump was about 30% for most of the primaries in 2016. And yet he's now President. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep on acting like moderate or pragmatic democrats want the status quo...most don't...but they don't think you are going to be able to get progress without building broader support. Especially in an election year where a large number of Americans say they feel economically comfortable. Feel free to disagree with their assessment, but to say that because someone doesn't want Bernie they don't want progress or they want people to die or that they only care about corporate profit is simply not true...

I'd be curious what you're basing this on because it seems flimsy as hell

I tend to believe people when they show you who they are, not come up with some weird conspiracy that they secretly support whatever I need them to support so I can counter points on an internet forum with no actual evidence

"sure, they're fighting against M4A now but trust me, they don't support the status quo they just support it right now for reasons"

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017

If he can't win 1v1 against a moderate in the primary then I don't know why he should be the candidate? I want Bernie to win as much as the next person here but he needs prove his theory that he can convince the youths and other non voters to actually vote.

This is kinda where I am on this. If his only chance was through a splintered Moderate vote, then that doesn't inspire much confidence.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Endorsements are "stacking the deck" now? Is everyone supposed to just keep their mouth shut about their preferences until the primary is over?

It's obvious that mainstream Dems would prefer Biden, but I have not yet seen one shred of evidence for any sort of nefarious conspiracy against Bernie. He will either have wide enough appeal to get more votes or he won't.

I'm just putting what's happening in the context of the anxiety in this thread. Normal electoral politics are anathema to the revolution some people want.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

Because right after Biden's big win, two major players dropped out and rushed to endorse him, tied in with a massive media blitz about Biden's comeback(which we all expected). The DNC(and more importantly, the big money bankrolling them) are panicking, and this is their trump card.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
But superdelegates don't represent the electorate and that's Biden only hope of beating Bernie.

nope. Keep in mind pledged delegates tend to vote for the candidate endorsed by who they were pledged to. So far, aside from Steyer, all the dropouts during the primary have endorsed Biden.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Biden's main policy is goign to be TRUMP BAD, which everyone thinks. But they arn't going to get excited to vote for Biden.

Republicans have been going "vote Trump" to fill the Supreme Court to block any Democrat policies and push Republican policies. A huge part of rolling back Abortion is based on the courts, as well as guns.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

absolutely, this is it. they stacked the deck against obama too back in 08 and that primary went on till the bitter end. but ultimately, he prevailed. it won't be easy for bernie too, and it all depends on the voters, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.