• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Hillary endorses Biden, Bernie will probably have the biggest day of donations in all history lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The entire party is unifying against the one progressive candidate with a chance in favor of trying to get back to status quo that didn't work in the first place, it's pretty over
I mean did you expect Amy and Pete to endorse Sanders? The dude has spent the last 4 years rallying against the political establishment and running to the left of the party, of course the party establishment is going to prefer Biden lol

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
No matter who wins, I feel like the future of the Supreme Court should be the #1 messaging priority. It overcomes divisions within the party more than anything else, I think.

There are several huge cases that will be decided in June that could provide the opportunity to do that.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Friendly reminder that young people eventually grow older and stop being young people
We kinda have a ticking time bomb in climate change so I'm not even sure if young people will have the time to grow old lol
I wonder how many of the Hill Shills have moved over to this place and are staying quiet for the time being. It would be kinda neat to see the "Yass Queen" brigade out in force again.
They all kept quiet when she kept saying and doing incredibly stupid shit like defending her association Weinstein (???)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're insisting you know for sure how events that have not taken place will transpire.

That's not really anything I can argue against, because it's a fantasy state that exists only in your mind right now. The number of words you expend describing your prediction to us does not change that fact.

I think you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong, which would be awful. But we'll find out together.
But how is that different from what you are doing say it wont happen?

Were all just kind of speculating here at the end of the day.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean did you expect Amy and Pete to endorse Sanders? The dude has spent the last 4 years rallying against the political establishment and running to the left of the party, of course the party establishment is going to prefer Biden lol
oh it's entirely expected, but still disappointing to see how adverse the dem party is to progress.

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as though people are looking at who they are endorsing, and why, and determining that some factor other than sincere political conviction is at play!

Weird, that!
Nah, this ain't it.

People freaking out about the primary being rigged and the party stealing a nomination from Bernie if he has a delegate lead at the moment is quite ridiculous though.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pete's Marxist dad is probably drinking himself to second death with Gramsci in comrade heaven right now

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're insisting you know for sure how events that have not taken place will transpire.

That's not really anything I can argue against, because it's a fantasy state that exists only in your mind right now. The number of words you expend describing your prediction to us does not change that fact.

I think you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong, which would be awful. But we'll find out together.

You're confusing me for Kuwabara.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
But how is that different from what you are doing say it wont happen?

Were all just kind of speculating here at the end of the day.
I've said I don't think it will happen. I've also said I could be wrong.

Either way, I find it incredibly unproductive to spend time complaining about the future assured theft of an election when it hasn't even been won yet.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh it's entirely expected, but still disappointing to see how adverse the dem party is to progress.
I think this is the major issue people are having. None of this is terribly surprising but its one thing to have the idea as a pessimist and another watching it play out in real time.

I've said I don't think it will happen. I've also said I could be wrong.

Either way, I find it incredibly unproductive to spend time complaining about the future assured theft of an election when it hasn't even been won yet.
I think preparing ourselves for the possibility is important. I agree saying its going to happen as an absolute certainty is a bit too far. But there is good reason to discuss it right now, especially with the number of people coming out and organizing to stop Bernie the past few days.

W1SSY

Oct 28, 2017
Watching this again with all the news of tonight. Lots of doom and gloom in this thread but I just have to hope and believe that Bernie can still pull this off.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
My constructive rebuttal is that it shows poor faith or argumentative virtue to do the (effectively) historically revisionist thing and level or invert two people with very different records.

I inverted nothing. Biden was bigoted in his opinion on gay marriage until he wasn't, which was during a reelection campaign for vice President, an unprecedented political decision. I also acknowledged that Sanders voiced his support before Biden, but that does not necessarily place him into a position of moral superiority on the matter just by itself, at least politically speaking. That was the extent of my position.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
e5mgy1d5rpg41.jpg

Remember how we all joked...

Yeah, people came up with moderate voltron as a joke, not the end boss

Ironically we may not even get a brokered convention if Bloomberg drops out before the convention, not something I ever considered possible with the money he's spent, but its possible he gained faith in Biden and will divert his resources to him instead.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think the doom and gloom in this thread is a little over the top. I'm sure Warren will drop out after ST.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
Dem red wedding...

I still think Bernie is going to win the nomination. Cali and Texas are going to deliver.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
If you find yourself getting frustrated with the institutional Democratic party antics (and there is plenty to be frustrated about!), I recommend donating, signing up for phone/text banking, canvassing, or helping out the many groups that are aligned around the progressive issues you care about.

The anger is valid, and there's always the frustration of "why do we have to fight the supposed "left-wing" party so hard for basic needs??", but that anger can be harnessed. Obama said "Don't boo, vote!" when what he should actually have said is "boo, vote, donate, canvass, protest, strike!"

I've always felt that the primary would be Bernie's toughest race, because he has to hold back his criticisms of other candidates and not risk losing their supporters (and people still accuse him of being "too harsh" on the party, even though *gestures at Biden's entire policy history* there's a ton he could hit him on), but if he can get to the general election, he doesn't have to hold back against Trump, and he's far more likely to go the fuck in on him.

So yeah, as Bernie always says, Not Me (and clearly, not the Democratic Party power structure), but Us (regular ass people who are struggling and need major change).

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Clinton clowned on Trump and it didn't make any difference. This also assumes that Trump will even agree to a debate, which he has implied he won't.

Joe Biden is popular with the Democratic base, the voters with a track-record of actually getting out and voting. There is no evidence thus far that Bernie has been successful in mobilizing the youth vote at the scale he needs to win the GE. To the contrary: in New Hampshire, exit polling indicated that the majority of first-time voters turned out for *Pete Buttigieg*.

That said, I'm still voting for Bernie and hoping he wins the primary. But this catastrophizing about Biden's supposed inability to beat Trump is overblown and very tiring.
This this this and this again. Bernie has consistently failed to prove that his "revolution" will turn out enough votes to offset the ones he will lose by just being him and when the media attacks are solely focused on him. Forgive me if I don't want to bet the next 4 years on the idea that Bernie Sanders will turn out more voters in a GE. I straight up don't believe it because one young voters are completely unreliable, they only show up for presidential contests and two Bernie hasn't shown me that he is turning out voters in historic numbers bar in caucuses which we all know have their problems. The fact that it's this close with Biden straight up tells me that he's not some legendary politician. This is against a very out of form Biden.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
nothing has really changed other then the window for a clean win is now descisively closed

Biden is surging at the right time but he was always gonna get an SC bump considering how much his strategy was staked on it

the cuba stuff might have swung a few points nationally but it's been a busy week

either the difference on the ground will show up or it wont

Oct 25, 2017

If the field shrinking is bad for Sanders, then he was never in good shape to begin with.

I don't believe it is bad for him, I think it's quite good. The benefits of a shrinking field plus the perception he will have as the reason they dropped out is far more valuable to him than these endorsements, which don't have much value because:

1) Endorsements like these don't really move the needle much, people make up their own minds
2) Klobuchar and Buttigieg weren't popular enough to find success which means they aren't going to be popular enough to move the needle.

Stop seeing this through a fatalistic, defeatist lens. This is what it looks like when your candidate is winning. It should feel like it's getting harder and as you get closer, your opposition should become more unified and solidified. That's how it works. It's up to Sanders and his ability to build a winning coalition. If he can't do it in the primary, then he can't do it in a general.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I inverted nothing. Biden was bigoted in his opinion on gay marriage until he wasn't, which was during a reelection campaign for vice President, an unprecedented political decision. I also acknowledged that Sanders voiced his support before Biden, but that does not necessarily place him into a position of moral superiority on the matter just by itself, at least politically speaking. That was the extent of my position.
Biden wasn't going out on a limb there. He was privately for gay marriage, but do you know what he told his gay friends about why he wouldn't go public with it? That the public wasn't there yet. When he changed his mind publicly, polling on gay marriage had already gone way up. He wasn't in the way, but he sure as hell wasn't a pioneer that put his career at risk for it.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is perfectly reasonable and appropriate to discuss and prepare for potential future scenarios, especially when you have stuff like the NYT article coming out where a large number of superdelegates made it very clear on the record that they will try to prevent Sanders from being the nominee even if he has a plurality at the convention

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think following this, Bernie needs to go back to hitting Joe hard on Social Security, which seems to be what dented him right before Iowa.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
again: Bernie always had to get past Glass Joe Biden before he could take on King Orange Hippo.

May 25, 2019
London
This this this and this again. Bernie has consistently failed to prove that his "revolution" will turn out enough votes to offset the ones he will lose by just being him and when the media attacks are solely focused on him. Forgive me if I don't want to bet the next 4 years on the idea that Bernie Sanders will turn out more voters in a GE. I straight up don't believe it because one young voters are completely unreliable, they only show up for presidential contests and two Bernie hasn't shown me that he is turning out voters in historic numbers bar in caucuses which we all know have their problems. The fact that it's this close with Biden straight up tells me that he's not some legendary politician. This is against a very out of form Biden.

I feel for the notifications you are going to get for people quoting this post, but you are right

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nah, this ain't it.

People freaking out about the primary being rigged and the party stealing a nomination from Bernie if he has a delegate lead at the moment is quite ridiculous though.

I don't think it's "rigged" in the sense of "fixed", I think it's "rigged" in that the worst elements and interests of the party have an outsized influence and ability to box out, delegitimize, and defang the actually good elements of the party. Whether they do that for reasons of selfish self-interest or misguided beliefs about what is or is not practicable is immaterial to the fact that they are the primary obstacles at this present moment to my civilization maybe having a chance to repair itself before things get catastrophically bad, and them being ripped out of the party down to the roots, or the party burning down and a new one being built from scratch like the Republicans in the 1850s, is my primary political concern right now.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Im saying that Democrats should try to win the election instead of trying the same thing every single time. I question the compitency that Dems have for gettign results if they think that Biden is the stronger candidate.
Democrats have won the popular vote in 6 out of the last 7 presidential elections.

In what fucking world is that not competency at getting results?

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
Sorry in advance for the attacks you're going to get for this comment.

Oct 25, 2017
Im saying that Democrats should try to win the election instead of trying the same thing every single time. I question the compitency that Dems have for gettign results if they think that Biden is the stronger candidate.

The thing they try ever single time is asking people to vote for the person they think should be the nominee. What should they do differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.