• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
dang, is Obama really this opposed to Bernie winning the nomination? It makes me a bit sad

There is no love lost between the two. But Obama wouldn't subvert the will of the people if they overwhelmingly chose Bernie to be their nominee, and would indeed endorse him if he won. Probably would be extremely vocal about downballot campaigning though, that's his largest sticking point with Sanders.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It specifically says in that same article that Obama did not specifically tell Buttigieg to endorse Biden.
When the former President of the United States and most popular Democratic figure in living memory calls you up to discuss electoral strategy, he's not just making a suggestion.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
AOC is completely right (per usual).

Also, if (when?) Warren does release her delegates to Sanders, everyone launching those stupid snake emojis is going to start singing her praises, I'm sure.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Seeing moderate voltron coalesce isn't surprising but its still really shitty they really just want to tell us better things aren't possible.

Also fuck the war criminal Obama for walking in and getting Pete to organize against Bernie. Again entirely unsurprising given who he is but seriously way to be exactly the type of person many of us have said you were.

Oct 27, 2017
AOC is giving the answer she has to give. She can't say 'Warren drop out'. That doesn't mean Warren sticking around is a good idea for a potential progressive presidency, galaxy brain takes aside.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about done with this party. It's clear they're corporate centrists and see no room for actual progressive ideas.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
When the former President of the United States and most popular Democratic figure in living memory calls you up to discuss electoral strategy, he's not just making a suggestion.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but this situation is markedly different than the one I outlined in my post, and that person responded to.

But by all means, people will read into it what they will.

People in this thread should listen to AOC

Bernie himself would say this if asked, especially so early in the primary process.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Seeing moderate voltron coalesce isn't surprising but its still really shitty they really just want to tell us better things aren't possible.

Also fuck the war criminal Obama for walking in and getting Pete to organize against Bernie. Again entirely unsurprising given who he is but seriously way to be exactly the type of person many of us have said you were.

These posts are just blowing my mind. Obama and dems took severe political losses for passing Obamacare- without it, there is no discussion of medicare4all. The revisionist history that Obama/Biden are all of a sudden not real democrats is just astounding to me.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017

Reminds me of 2016 when I saw this in NJ.

SxREDFW.jpg

Guess they are back on the road trying to fix the mistakes of 16.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
These posts are just blowing my mind. Obama and dems took severe political losses for passing Obamacare- without it, there is no discussion of medicare4all. The revisionist history that Obama/Biden are all of a sudden not real democrats is just astounding to me.

i think a lot of folks's criticism of obama and biden is that they are real democrats

May 25, 2019
London

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people making such posts weren't paying attention to politics/old enough to care in 2010. This forum really shows its age sometimes.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
talk of earning warren's voters is a non sequitur response to whether or not warren herself should drop out
I don't follow.

Literally all of the candidates should have been, from Day One, crafting messages to attract voters whose first preference belonged to another candidate.

Warren can stay in as long as she wants; it doesn't affect this calculus at all. In the interim, Biden and Bernie should be courting Warren fans in remaining states.

She wants to catch lightning in a bottle and become the darkest horse ever to become president, or she wants to rack up leverage before pledging her delegates to someone else. That's how all primaries work. Indeed, the specific primary rules at play in this iteration were updated specifically to address Bernie's critiques about the last one.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did my part for Bernie today in California! Line was short, was out in about twenty minutes. The digital stuff is dumb, though. Even disregarding potential counting errors, the older woman after me stomped in like Y'ALL I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MACHINES WORK PLEASE HELP, which makes me think lines might be rough.

Oct 27, 2017
Did my part for Bernie today! Line was short, was out in about twenty minutes. The digital stuff is dumb, though. Even disregarding potential counting errors, the older woman after me stomped in like Y'ALL I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MACHINES WORK PLEASE HELP, which makes me think lines might be rough.
Where was this?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never said they weren't real democrats. In fact I would call them the paragon of the democratic party.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people making such posts weren't paying attention to politics/old enough to care in 2010. This forum really shows its age sometimes.
Really weird to be making these generalizations

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did my part for Bernie today in California! Line was short, was out in about twenty minutes. The digital stuff is dumb, though. Even disregarding potential counting errors, the older woman after me stomped in like Y'ALL I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MACHINES WORK PLEASE HELP, which makes me think lines might be rough.
Plus side is that none of those machines are hooked up to the internet at any point.

Guessing Cali, they're partially digital depending on location this year.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Edited, in California. It used to be a simple paper ballot thingy with an ink pen dabber. Nice and simple. Now it's a digital thing, and even though the interface was well designed and snappy, it's still...digital.

Edit: I should clarify there is still a paper trail, it prints out your ballot.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
I don't follow.

Literally all of the candidates should have been, from Day One, crafting messages to attract voters whose first preference belonged to another candidate.

Warren can stay in as long as she wants; it doesn't affect this calculus at all. In the interim, Biden and Bernie should be courting Warren fans in remaining states.

She wants to catch lightning in a bottle and become the darkest horse ever to become president, or she wants to rack up leverage before pledging her delegates to someone else. That's how all primaries work. Indeed, the specific primary rules at play in this iteration were updated specifically to address Bernie's critiques about the last one.
its difficult to take much of this post seriously when you manage to type warren staying in 'doesn't affect the calculus at all'. an incredibly daring statement that i am unable to read without going apeshit

So they aren't votes to be earned, but demanded of?

Of course it is part of that fact, quit pretending you are owed her support and her votes.
i cant even imagine what you're talking about. if warren dropped out now, mathematically about half of her support (probably more now in the absense of pete and amy) goes to sanders. i'm not talking about rhetoric or who "deserves" votes i dont give a fuck about that. its just a reality that her presence in the race makes a biden nomination more likely. unless you're willing to engage with that statistical fact then i dont know what to say to you

Last edited:

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
dang, is Obama really this opposed to Bernie winning the nomination? It makes me a bit sad
We have know this since last year. Obama specifically talked with all the candidates, and specifically pushed for 2 (black) candidates that were very decisively moderate.
People close to him referred to a close meeting, where he said (paraphrasing) that: A Bernie or Warren Presidency, would mean a direct rejection to his legacy.

Not only that, we know that both distanced themselves during Obama's last administration, given Obama's "realism" approach to all his main decisions.

Yes we (may-be) can (try). But only if it's not too inconvenient.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Actually tomorrow's outcome depends on Warren to Bernie and Bloomberg to Biden tactical voting. The media is framing this as a B/B showdown so some people might think twice before casting their vote.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
In November it seem that Obama was interested in stopping Bernie. Things line up if it's true. I googled "Obama stop Bernie at all costs" because I couldn't remember the quote or accurate info on it, I picked TheHill's link because it was near the top and I doubt they are controversial or bad to link.

thehill.com

Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sanders: report

President Obama privately said he would speak up to stop Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) from becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, Politico reported Tuesday.The former president reportedly sai…

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019

This is what it is at the end of the day. You vote for saving tens of thousands of lives annually (and lowering the suffering of millions), or you vote for the guy whose entire pitch is nothing changes AND we have to work with the biggest cause in the rise of hate crimes (the GOP).

I'm over arguing about the small shit. Everyone's so wrapped up in Twitter and what Warren should do and it's pointless. Everyone's lives improve and they live longer or everyone's lives stay the same and maybe if you're trans like me someone murders you because the president wants to play ball with bigots.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I never said they weren't real democrats. In fact I would call them the paragon of the democratic party.

So what's the logic here..it sounds like you do not align with the democratic party..and you're mad that the current standard bearer of the democratic party might not be a huge supporter of a candidate who..does not call himself a democrat?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beto's endorsing Biden tonight. Hopefully this isn't a Clyburn situation.
On the one hand Beto was stupid popular in Texas after his Senate run. On the other, he burned more moderate bridges by going full gun buy back gun ban. On yet another hand, Texas dem primary voters are not the type to mind that as much as the Texas general electorate.

Status
Not open for further replies.