• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
lol why did this thread jump 20+ pages in a few hours

have people already decided that biden will win? relax, a lot of the primary season is left. bernie is still polling really well. ar least wait until tomorrow's results before freaking out.

i think it'd be fair to go bernie or bust if bernie is screwed over at the convention, but definitely not if biden gets a legitimate plurality, which i don't think he will

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Or Amy and Pete just think Biden would be a better President.

For ten years I had a moderator tag next to my name in one of the largest gaming sites in my country. I always felt baffled by people not wanting to argue with me one-one-one in news threads because of that - now I sorta understand. This is the type of post that would get a lot of reaction out of me otherwise (I mean.... seriously, to look at a political process that is clearly about power struggles and just assume that these are honest-to-god, just saying what they believe actors, is pure naivite imho.), but I am afraid too to disagree too much :D

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
For ten years I had a moderator tag next to my name in one of the largest gaming sites in my country. I always felt baffled by people not wanting to argue with me one-one-one in news threads because of that - now I sorta understand. This is the type of post that would get a lot of reaction out of me otherwise (I mean.... seriously, to look at a political process that is clearly about power struggles and just assume that these are honest-to-god, just saying what they believe actors, is pure naivite imho.), but I am afraid too to disagree too much :D
Well it certainly makes things easier for yourself if everyone who disagrees with you is inherently corrupt and wrong. It's just not particularly honest.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, these GOP states shouldn't decide the nominee. We should depend on noted swing state California.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Then what are people freaking about in here?

All I've seen are Bernie folks insulting Biden, saying how hes weak and has no chance against Trump. If Bernie can't beat this dude then maybe Bernie was just a weak candidate.
People who are personally invested in an election tend to freak out whenever the momentum or news or whatever shifts against them.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like my post about Bernie dropping out just becomes more and more right and correct. This is enormously damaging if the Democrats head into a convention without a clear winner.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Or the climate. 👍 It's pretty interesting how no buster will say a word about it. Frankly, I have no clue where the hell Bernie-or-busters got their convictions from anyway. It sure as hell isn't empathy for the poor, those affected by Trump's harmful policies (oftentimes minorities) or inaction towards climate change, or anything else I could point my finger on really. I just suspect that no matter who wins, it won't affect them much, else they'd probably drop this ridiculous stance.

If you care about climate change, how can you consider not voting Democrats even for a second?

As one of those "often times minorities" that's poor, I'm not really enthused about the idea of voting for Biden. I'll still do it, but if the right could come up with anything approaching a moderate candidate (they can't), I'd just as soon not vote.

Biden is not the answer.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Well it certainly makes things easier for yourself if everyone who disagrees with you is inherently corrupt and wrong. It's just not particularly honest.

Yeah, that would be the case if there were not plenty of evidence from Pete Buttigeg's own words where he switched positions without much explanation. His comments regarding the firing of the police chief in Southbend does not inspire much confidence in his honesty, even if he states in a debate that he comes there with "much humility". The words that go against that is: "I do not need your vote", said to a black voter, months before. After incidents like those, assumption of honesty is not a gift easily given.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Obama ran as a post-partisan centrist with inspiring language. His proposals were very moderate

This is a little revisionist. Obama was considered to have the most progressive voting record among senators in 2007 in the run up to the 2008 election. The issues were very different in 2008 than they are in 2020. Obamacare might be considered moderate or even center-right today, but it wasn't in 2008. Withdrawal from Iraq is considered mainstream today, but it wasn't in 2008. Headlines ran at the time wondering if "The most liberal senator can unify the Democratic party."

Obama didn't run as a moderate, but he certainly ruled as a moderate (and pretty much had to with 6 years of an obstructionist Republican congress).

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Dems don't lose when they run left, or when they run to the center. Dems lose when they don't vote like republicans (voting for whoever the nominee ends up being).

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Establishment politicians being corrupt and/or selfish? In 2020? IN THE US?? Yeah, what a dishonest conspiratorial assumption to make.

Oct 27, 2017

We gotta win because we have too. Let's do this for the people who need it the most.

As a side note, look at when Liz announced her 'Medicare for all' plan:
bbVLlm8.jpg

www.bloomberg.com

Warren Maps 3-Year Timeline Toward Medicare for All; Stocks Rise

Elizabeth Warren said Friday her Medicare-for-All plan would be implemented over three years, a major concession to the difficulty of fundamentally changing the way Americans get health care. Managed-care and hospital stocks moved higher on the news.

Oct 28, 2017
Establishment politicians being corrupt and/or selfish? In 2020? IN THE US?? Yeah, what a dishonest conspiratorial assumption to make.

lol Biden's record as a senator and VP laid alongside the timeline of Hunter's employment history is like proof of corruption. At best it was nepotism, at worst it was a sort of quid pro quo arrangement.

The funny thing is that out of all the things Democrats could have impeached Trump for, it's for the exact sort of thing the Democrats have done. They have no real moral ground here, which is why a lot of their accusations thrown at the Republicans aren't that effective.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, that would be the case if there were not plenty of evidence from Pete Buttigeg's own words where he switched positions without much explanation. His comments regarding the firing of the police chief in Southbend does not inspire much confidence in his honesty, even if he states in a debate that he comes there with "much humility". The words that go against that is: "I do not need your vote", said to a black voter, months before. After incidents like those, assumption of honesty is not a gift easily given.
Candidates have the right to drop out of the primary and endorse whoever they want for any reason.

I really don't understand the thought process where Amy and Pete are corrupt monsters for dropping out and endorsing the person most ideologically similar to them, but at the same time Warren is a corrupt monster for NOT dropping out and endorsing the person most ideologically similar to her.

Bernie winning the election, even if that's what I would prefer, is not the "right" outcome here. The person with the most votes, whoever that is, should be the nominee, and nothing in the past few days has really thrown that off course.

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward in 2021 to hearing about how we have Trump for another 4 years because of the Bernie Bros and all that mad shit they talked about Biden. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
This is a little revisionist. Obama was considered to have the most progressive voting record among senators in 2007 in the run up to the 2008 election. The issues were very different in 2008 than they are in 2020. Obamacare might be considered moderate or even center-right today, but it wasn't in 2008. Withdrawal from Iraq is considered mainstream today, but it wasn't in 2008. Headlines ran at the time wondering if "The most liberal senator can unify the Democratic party."

Obama didn't run as a moderate, but he certainly ruled as a moderate (and pretty much had to with 6 years of an obstructionist Republican congress).
Pretty good view on it. I think most and I guess I include myself in that regard when talking in this thread about Obama we frame his platform through the 2020 looking glass.
At that point in time his policies were considered very progressive, but don't seem as such in today's politics.
We wouldn't be talking about universal healthcare today had he not sacrificed his entire political capital in the healthcare debate.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, it's almost like there was a decades long project of purging leftists from the party, which is why every leftist in politics is either Bernie's age or in their 30s like Carter or AOC.

Yeah those people are still very much alive and they all vote, in the last primary they were 71% of the electorate. Till that's solved I'm not particularly swayed by 'unelectable' charges from the left

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
Then what are people freaking about in here?

All I've seen are Bernie folks insulting Biden, saying how hes weak and has no chance against Trump. If Bernie can't beat this dude then maybe Bernie was just a weak candidate.
I think it comes down to the fact that no one in the dem primary has attacked Biden for being basically senile. Thats going to something that trump isn't going to shy away from, it'll be brutal.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward in 2021 to hearing about how we have Trump for another 4 years because of the Bernie Bros and all that mad shit they talked about Biden. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
I can't wait until a letter about opening an investigation into Burisma drops the week before election day. lol

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
don't pretend you weren't badmouthing bernie sanders supporters now that he's trendy again.

For sure. Some of them have been pretty shitty and I've called them out. They give Sanders a bad name.

Edit: Actually shitty isn't even fair. Some of them weren't holding him to the same level of accountability that they were other candidates, and I repeatedly tried to point that out.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
lol Biden's record as a senator and VP laid alongside the timeline of Hunter's employment history is like proof of corruption. At best it was nepotism, at worst it was a sort of quid pro quo arrangement.

It is important to understand the language when the left talks about corruption and when centrists talk about corruption.
To the left, accepting donor money and allowing the lobbyists to push for bills that damage the environment, increases goverment-funded corporate subsidies IS corruption. (I agree with this definition,needless to say). There was no law being broken, only morals where you get elected to represent the will of the people, but then you get inserted into a structure where there is a constant need for funding to survive (i.e. get reelected), and that changes a politician's priorities quick.

Now, contrast that to AOC. Her hands are not tied. She is going against these causes hard (though even she needed to compromise here and there,especially against Pelosi) because she did not get elected on the back of corporate lobbyists maxing out, but on the people's donations and help. That is the fundamental difference.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, it's almost like there was a decades long project of purging leftists from the party, which is why every leftist in politics is either Bernie's age or in their 30s like Carter or AOC.

it seems like The Leftists could have simply formed their own party, supported by the large swathes of regular folks who don't vote for democrats because the democrats aren't left enough for them?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean you're assuming a whole bunch of shit happened and not the easiest explanation of all. Klobuchar is a moderate/centrist, Pete is a moderate/centrist, them endorsing the moderate/centrist over the progressive is hardly a shock.

Matt isn't using his moderator tag to get away with disingenous shitposting or anything, get over yourself.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
joebiden.com

Plan to Protect and Build on Obamacare | Joe Biden

Joe Biden will protect and build on Obamacare by giving Americans more choice, reducing health care costs, and making the system less complex to navigate.

I. GIVE EVERY AMERICAN ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE HEALTH INSURANCE

IV. ENSURE HEALTH CARE IS A RIGHT FOR ALL, NOT A PRIVILEGE FOR JUST A FEW

He'll also build on the Affordable Care Act with a plan to insure more than an estimated 97% of Americans

??? That quote, and all of the other details described on the page seems to fall far short of "a right for all", lol.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
seems like the mushy middle type of voter who can't decide in a hypothetical battle between Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders should get more criticized for hostage taking than the left-wing voters do. At least the left-wing voter (usually, since people are weird) has an actual moral and policy-based reason to sit out. The mushy middle person is just kind of...there? "Eh, no one is guaranteed health care vs. guaranteed free at the point of service health care, not really sure which one works for me"

But what instead happens is that the mushy middle's supposed "policy" preferences (these are never actually elaborated on btw, since "moderate" is often a media creation that doesn't correspond to any polling or issue data) get taken completely seriously. Which relates to the fact that any sort of moral dimension to policy platforms gets stripped out when it comes to national political discussion, and just gets turned into a sanitized "left/moderate/right" discussion.

So that's why there will be a million questions about the costs and drawbacks of Medicare for All, but the costs and very real drawbacks of the public option always get ignored and never brought up.
someone who's torn between trump and bernie obviously sucks ass, lol. just saying there's a difference between some person choosing to vote in a way that helps the candidate who is the closest to what they want on whatever issue is most salient to them vs choosing to vote in a way that helps the candidate who is the furthest from what they want, so i don't think it's surprising that the latter group gets more shit for hostage-taking

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I mean you're assuming a whole bunch of shit happened and not the easiest explanation of all. Klobuchar is a moderate/centrist, Pete is a moderate/centrist, them endorsing the moderate/centrist over the progressive is hardly a shock.

Matt isn't using his moderator tag to get away with disingenous shitposting or anything, get over yourself.

I was not even implying that. I was literally just sharing my anecdotal experience regarding this. If I thought that, I would not have posted with my explicit critique of that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.