• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
burnie has 2 core issues. 1 he is toxic to the professional class(aka suberbs, which by the way are just white but very diverse), and second not being willing to comprimse means he is bad at colaition building. he has no shot at winning if he cant fix those 2 things.
Bro you could at least spell his name correctly if you're gonna try being a political analyst and speculate on his chances. btw is that a typo in your username??

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
This is why I believe the DNC is trying to prevent a brokered convention right now, at least in part: to prevent an even worse backlash from young voters.
I think they're hoping the dropouts endorsing Biden put him over, but if Sanders still comes out of this with a significant lead I can't imagine they give Biden the win. Like I know a lot of establishment people probably don't give a shit if Sanders beats Trump. But they do care that they can continue getting paid, and there's no money where there's no party. They need a Biden delegate win or they're going to give it to Sanders.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
When did any of this happen this week with Amy and Pete dropping out, though? You do realize only 4 states out of 50 have held their primaries so far.

Either Biden made backroom deals, or the party did, or Amy and Pete's big donors told them point blank the gravy train was stopping, or something along those lines. Even if they did it fully spontaneously, that is them using the positions of power and influence they have obtained to try to line the party up behind the guy who challenges absolutely nothing major in the status quo! The guy with a pretty bad record of reactionary legislation and whose brain is currently the consistency of oatmeal! To the extent that the Dems present themselves as a party of meritocratic openness, it utterly undermines their credibility and message and broadcasts loud and clear where their real allegiances are.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I got it. Imo this encourages tribalism to an extreme. I do see where you're coming from and I understand but giving in to hostage takers sets a corossive precedent. I am extremely harsh on and against moderates /centrists refusing to vote for Sanders in a general as well.
I feel moderates are far more likely to fall in line. So im not sure that precedent will matter much if Trump wins. Theres a reason vote blue no matter who is mostly a moderate motto. They dont need nearly as much convincing. Im responding to you but im really just kind of talking to everyone but thanks for putting in your two cents.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Either Biden made backroom deals, or the party did, or Amy and Pete's big donors told them point blank the gravy train was stopping, or something along those lines. Even if they did it fully spontaneously, that is them using the positions of power and influence they have obtained to try to line the party up behind the guy who challenges absolutely nothing major in the status quo! The guy with a pretty bad record of reactionary legislation and whose brain is currently the consistency of oatmeal! To the extent that the Dems present themselves as a party of meritocratic openness, it utterly undermines their credibility and message and broadcasts loud and clear where their real allegiances are.
Or Amy and Pete just think Biden would be a better President.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
since people are going to succumb to their overzealous energy and act like insane in-the-moment assholes, I hate that they're doubling down on the "BERNIE OR BUST" mindset( that many will embarrassingly step back from after the primary if Bernie loses). why can't they just channel that energy into a enthusiastic delusional that bernie is going to win every single state and earn every delegate, or something else?

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Which moderate Democrat has won since 2000? Obama doesn't count, he ran on a progressive message based on change and hope

Obama was the more moderate candidate of the two moderate candidates in the primary.

The man may have said hope and change a lot, but what exactly about his policy was progressive? He is NO more progressive than Buttigieg is against the field today.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when there was a sentiment that Era was anti-Bernie and then there was that poll that showed that he was actually the most popular candidate by far?

Just search "fuck Pete", "fuck Bloomberg", "fuck Warren" and fuck Bernie/fuck Sanders" and compare the results for a quick and easy test.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Remember when there was a sentiment that Era was anti-Bernie and then there was that poll that showed that he was actually the most popular candidate by far?
That was due to Bernie supporters keeping quiet because of the anti-Bernie supporters. It's obvious if poliera is the main thread for political discourse. Brainchild literally left the thread because people ganged up on him for being pro-Bernie.

It's only now in the general forum that Bernie supports are showing up in big numbers. However, I would say that many Bernie supporters did persist with poliera so that it's far more balanced these last few months compared to say a year ago.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just search "fuck Pete", "fuck Bloomberg", "fuck Warren" and fuck Bernie/fuck Sanders" and compare the results for a quick and easy test.

This wouldn't work because you'd also have to search "Rat" for Pete and the snake emoji for Warren despite guidelines telling people not to put down others' candidates.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hope this thread doesn't self destruct after making this comparison (or do I????) but the anti-Bernie segment reminds me of the anti-TLJ segment in that they're always over represented in the shouting matches but the polls done on here paint the true picture

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie should have embraced the Democratic Party instead of still hailing as an Independent.

Why? He has nothing to gain from it except when he's run for president.

He clearly doesn't need them to win and they wouldn't support his agenda anyway. The only reason he needs them for president is that no one has ever won running as an independent.

Plus it's not like they hate him. They're absolutely willing to use him as their poster boy as he's one of the most popular national level politicians.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
i mean a mushy middle type voter who swings back and forth voting for the candidate they feel most closely represents them isn't the same kind of "hostage taking" as a left wing person who sits out because the most left nominee isn't left enough for their tastes, indirectly helping the most right wing candidate

seems like the mushy middle type of voter who can't decide in a hypothetical battle between Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders should get more criticized for hostage taking than the left-wing voters do. At least the left-wing voter (usually, since people are weird) has an actual moral and policy-based reason to sit out. The mushy middle person is just kind of...there? "Eh, no one is guaranteed health care vs. guaranteed free at the point of service health care, not really sure which one works for me"

But what instead happens is that the mushy middle's supposed "policy" preferences (these are never actually elaborated on btw, since "moderate" is often a media creation that doesn't correspond to any polling or issue data) get taken completely seriously. Which relates to the fact that any sort of moral dimension to policy platforms gets stripped out when it comes to national political discussion, and just gets turned into a sanitized "left/moderate/right" discussion.

So that's why there will be a million questions about the costs and drawbacks of Medicare for All, but the costs and very real drawbacks of the public option always get ignored and never brought up.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Turns out this gif was misused all along.

Moderates today:

cHUsero.gif

Joe Biden is Goku.

Biden convincing Centrist Dems to drop out

giphy.gif

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Why? He has nothing to gain from it except when he's run for president.

He clearly doesn't need them to win and then wouldn't support his agenda anyway. The only reason he needs them for president is that no one has ever won running as an independent.

Plus it's not like they hate him. They're absolutely willing to use him as their poster boy as he's one of the most popular national level politicians.
apparently, he needs Super Delegates LOL

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
The squad took blue seats. They did not flip red ones.
I'm not sure you understand what "flip" means in this scenario

Your right. My head's still spinning from reading that article and wondering how the moderates can keep making the same mistake decade after decade.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this thread doesn't self destruct after making this comparison (or do I????) but the anti-Bernie segment reminds me of the anti-TLJ segment in that they're always over represented in the shouting matches but the polls done on here paint the true picture

Don't get me wrong. The vocal minority that was against Bernie were really annoying about it.

Edit: Er, in other words I agree with you.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
In his first campaign he was against gay marriage, people seem to have bought the image of him the GOP sold as a some kind of radical progressive.
He was also for increasing military spending, tax cuts, and didn't have a single payer healthcare proposal (which Hillary attacked him over repeatedly)

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
In his first campaign he was against gay marriage, people seem to have bought the image of him the GOP sold as a some kind of radical progressive.
Yup.
He was a centrist with a mix of social and economic progressive ideas, and the man could move mountains with his rhetoric and how he inspired. He was also a symbol of racial equality that ended up pushing him over the finish line.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We gotta win because we have too. Let's do this for the people who need it the most.

Sorry man, centrist unity, preemptive compromise on healthcare, civility and condemning rat/snake emoji on Twitter are more important than human lives and saving the planet.

Centrism to own the poor and minorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.