• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Your goal should be to get more people to vote, not to vote less. People like you and me aren't represented because too many people like you and me don't vote. That is the issue. We are outvoted. We are not courted because we aren't as reliable as those centrist and moderate voters we are trying to beat. So we lose over and over again.

Accept this. Swallow this. It doesn't matter how much you love Bernie Sanders or how popular he is with American Youth. It does not matter if he has activated a generation of young people in to believing what is politically possible. It only matters if they vote for him and people like him. You will not get your candidates elected if you don't vote. This means actually voting.

It also means holding the line against your opposition - which is Republicans - so that your lives and the lives of your peers are not destroyed in the meantime. You are not voting against moderate Democrats, you are voting against Republicans, so you should take some responsibility and stay part of the process because you will never, ever see the change we want to see if you don't actually participate. I promise you that. Every battle you cede to Republicans is ground you are losing that you may never get back in your lifetime.

You cannot make other young people vote. But you can show up. So show up.

Edit: You do not owe your vote to "the establishment." But you owe your vote to other people - the people you are trying to protect and see served. That is who you are voting for. If you would leave them in Trump's hands then you have forsaken them.

Should be stapled on the heads of every supporter of a progressive voter. Any person who has worked in or around a campaign at any level of government know just how unreliable and inconsistent the youth and progressive vote is.

It's simple mathematics.

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Your goal should be to get more people to vote, not to vote less. People like you and me aren't represented because too many people like you and me don't vote. That is the issue. We are outvoted. We are not courted because we aren't as reliable as those centrist and moderate voters we are trying to beat. So we lose over and over again.

Accept this. Swallow this. It doesn't matter how much you love Bernie Sanders or how popular he is with American Youth. It does not matter if he has activated a generation of young people in to believing what is politically possible. It only matters if they vote for him and people like him. You will not get your candidates elected if you don't vote. This means actually voting.

It also means holding the line against your opposition - which is Republicans - so that your lives and the lives of your peers are not destroyed in the meantime. You are not voting against moderate Democrats, you are voting against Republicans, so you should take some responsibility and stay part of the process because you will never, ever see the change we want to see if you don't actually participate. I promise you that. Every battle you cede to Republicans is ground you are losing that you may never get back in your lifetime.

You cannot make other young people vote. But you can show up. So show up.
Someone spray paint this on the wall.

I don't want Biden as president. It makes me angry that this shit is even happening. I'm enraged. It's foolish. It's short-sighted. It's a mistake. And yet ceding any of those battles to the GOP gives us what we have now - loaded courts that prevent any real balance of power. A congress that is a useless mess because McConnell is crouched on top of bills and cackling. Local governments that get shit-all done because people don't vote in down-ballot elections.

We have two options in this country: we can either surge into the streets en masse and demand something - which traditionally doesn't happen here at scale, because people who aren't continually oppressed in big material ways or who are utterly hopeless have too much to lose (so minoritized folks will, occasionally women, sometimes young people, but not many others), or we can vote. We gotta at least vote if we can't drag people into the streets.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
California and Texas should go first that way we can figure out who the front runner is from the jump and forego all this needless drama

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Voting a moderate in will do nothing to address the source of those concerns is the entire point.

But in a general election the alternative is to allow us to be further harmed. How much do you really care? Enough to take the basic step you intended to take anyway if your choice had been the candidate? Or is letting people suffer the cost of doing business because "well you should have picked my guy"?

Like why are people still acting like this is an abstract?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of poetic that months of calling people Rats, Snakes and god knows what else is now coming home to roost. These were all good candidates and decent human beings, and people who supported them aren't the devil. To beat Trump you need a coalition that includes the left and the centre, so I have no idea who ever thought it was a great idea to villify the centre left.
People who have no regard for POC, take corporate bribes, and tell Americans they don't want or need universal healthcare (because they're bribed by the insurance industries) are snakes, rats, and god-knows-what-else.

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
this is what bothers me. People claim to care about poor people and the cost of insulin and the challenges marginalized people face and that's why you have to vote for my candidate. Oh, my candidate didn't get in? I'm staying home and letting Trump go on with his planned cuts to medicaid and medicare and continue to let those marginalized people be abused by Trump's policies. Don't weaponize vulnerable people if you don't actually care.
biden will absolutely make cuts to medicaid/medicare in the name of compromise and the moderates will cheer him on. after all, obama tried it and was only stopped because of the insanity of the tea party.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why are we applauding democracy and stating "if [x] candidate received more votes that means he was better than [y] candidate" when we know the election process isn't fair or indicative of the actual will of the people in this country? Come the GE there will be hundreds of thousands of people who will either be purged from voter databases or gerrymandered into meaningless districts.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of poetic that months of calling people Rats, Snakes and god knows what else is now coming home to roost. These were all good candidates and decent human beings, and people who supported them aren't the devil. To beat Trump you need a coalition that includes the left and the centre, so I have no idea who ever thought it was a great idea to villify the centre left.

Lol so true. Neolib! Shill! Republican in disguise! Blah blah blah blah.

This place is so freaking ridiculous at times with the takes I see here. Still think Sanders has it tomorrow though.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If you mean actual votes than Bernie is still projected to win, that's not what I'm worried about. This is all happening to make a brokered convention likelier so that joe can win on the second ballot.
Well, then let's see how the actual election goes before talking about it being stolen. Because so far this primary has gone exactly how primaries are supposed to go.

And Bernie is still in a strong position.

Uh no it doesn't. With both Warren and Biden in it's unlikely for Bernie to be able to reach the magic number of delegates.
The field is consolidating. That means it is more likely somebody wins a majority.

Lol, the moderates drop out & the other progressive stays in, almost like the DNC planned this all along.
The DNC wishes it was a fraction as powerful as some people think it is.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why are we applauding democracy and stating "if [x] candidate received more votes that means he was better than [y] candidate" when we know the election process isn't fair or indicative of the actual will of the people in this country? Come the GE there will be hundreds of thousands of people who will either be purged from voter databases or gerrymandered into meaningless districts.

Because this is the Primary thread.

VOTE.
No matter who.
Please.

I mean I'd prefer if you were an informed voter.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
So what are the chances Tulsi is in the next debate? I think she only needs 1 actual delegate now to qualify for the March 15 one? American Samoa gonna get Tulsi back on stage.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said I think it's stupid! I've also said I'd be shocked if she didn't drop out if she lost Mass. But it doesn't undo what she's done. Not to mention you had Bernie basically playing with the idea of superdelegates flipping with Jeff Weaver going around saying the supers should just support Bernie.

At the end of the day these candidates are people that don't want to give up without posting a score on the board and it's not easy for them to come around to the fact that they lost so some grasping is going to happen.

Actually, a brokered convention was likelier if Pete and Klobs stayed in for Super Tuesday if anything. Sooner things break down to two to three candidates, the less likely a brokered convention happens.
Yeah, you're right I suppose

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
VOTE.
No matter who.
Please.
I'm voting Bernie no matter whonie.

The DNC can fucking rot. If Biden (or heaven forbid, Bloomberg) is the nominee, I'm writing in Bernie. I was told to grin and bear it and vote Clinton in 2016, and I did. This year? Fuck that. The DNC can reap what it sowed.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The DNC couldn't get it's shit together for basic things and y'all think they are pulling strings.

More like two moderate candidates bailing and making their best deal while they still have cards to play. Come Wednesday both Pete and Amy would be obviously irrelevant.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I need to bow out of this and other political stuff until after Super Tuesday, it's accomplishing nothing but giving me anxiety and it's not like I can control any of it for the time being.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

Those districts were gerrymandered 10 years ago. They won't be changed again until after the election. Furthermore, gerrymandering only has a tangential (yet still real) effect on GE voting.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

The DNC can fucking rot. If Biden (or heaven forbid, Bloomberg) is the nominee, I'm writing in Bernie. I was told to grin and bear it and vote Clinton in 2016, and I did. This year? Fuck that. The DNC can reap what it sowed.

I'm having a really fucking hard time seeing how the DNC has screwed over Bernie this cycle... This *is* the process.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Doubtful. That was part of bargaining with a potential GOP. That ship has sailed.
I mean, Biden endorsed a republican candidate (Fred Upton) as recently as 2018 in Michigan, which almost cost a democratic seat.

Why do we even think Biden in power would even solve any of the major problems ? Medicare, student debts ? Hell, I am persuaded climate change is gonna be pushed under the rug. I honestly don't know why people think Biden will even try that hard to do much during his presidency

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

And what precisely has the DNC sowed? How has the DNC affected this race in any way, shape or form thus far?

Nov 5, 2017
With both Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropping out and endorsing former VP, Biden, I think it will be impossible for Bernie to seal the nomination...we will end up going to a contested convention and the superdelegates will end up choosing Biden as the Democratic nominee...

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary

So because a small percentage of a niche online forum and a VERY small percentage of a toxic environment (Twitter) used snake and rat emojis, suddenly healthcare is no longer a human right. Gotcha.

I think I need to bow out of this and other political stuff until after Super Tuesday, it's accomplishing nothing but giving me anxiety and it's not like I can control any of it for the time being.

I feel ya. This is more stressful to just follow than it has any right to be. We are living in weird times.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

For sure. Don't let this affect your wellbeing. The storm will be waiting when you're feeling better.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet money on a Biden presidency being a metric shitton better than a Trump presidency.

www.politico.com

Where Joe Biden stands on the biggest 2020 issues

Our policy team breaks down all of the presidential candidate’s proposals on the biggest issues driving the 2020 race.

If we got everything that Biden supports then I think we'll be far better off.

Because with Trump you can kiss all of that good bye.

He's not Sanders. We all know he's not Sanders. But holy shit why wouldn't people vote for him over Trump?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
With both Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropping out and endorsing former VP, Biden, I think it will be impossible for Bernie to seal the nomination...we will end up going to a contested convention and the superdelegates will end up choosing Biden as the Democratic nominee...

If anything Bernie may be better off going up against just Biden because then he doesn't have to fend off attacks from four directions. I think he will fancy his chances in a smaller field because polling shows he is more likable.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
it's still the primary, are we not supposed to discuss candidate weaknesses or is that only for Bernie

Oh yes, Bernie weaknesses are the topic of the day here in ResetERA. Sure.

But I'm not talking about that, and you know it. I'm saying this is still a race and less has changed than recent news might make it seem. Conjuring up scenarios where Biden is already president and somehow is being worse or equal to Trump based on very little evidence isn't really helpful.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Sanders needs a blow out Tuesday, hope these drop outs don't hand Biden Texas. If Biden picks Warren as VP, I'll just vote in the congressional races, I'm not giving that Judas a damn thing.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I think the DNC sincerely wishes it had the power y'all think it does. Because Tom Perez does not exactly strike me as someone capable of orchestrating a gift exchange at a Christmas party, let alone smoke-filled backroom deals to Popeishly nominate candidates.

here's the thing

No candidate is owed a damned thing. No one is "blocking" Bernie. It's incumbent upon his campaign to attempt to capture voters who may have Liz (and Pete or Amy) as their first choices.

Successfully crafting a message to capture those voters is how primaries are done.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Bernie pulls this off. But if there's one thing Bloomberg somehow achieved, he's made me more ok with Biden than before he was in. I can vote for Biden and know it'll be the best choice in the long run, but if it went to be Bloomberg vs Trump, I don't know what I'd do.

I'm in IL and March 17 can't get here soon enough!

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Sanders needs a blow out Tuesday, hope these drop outs don't hand Biden Texas. If Biden picks Warren as VP, I'll just vote in the congressional races, I'm not giving that Judas a damn thing.
Again...seriously...does the future of the Supreme Court not mean anything to people here? RBG is highly unlikely to live forever (I mean she just may)...she's leaves and Trump gets to replace her...kiss a lot of shit goodbye...

Status
Not open for further replies.