• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
In a pleasant display that there's still progressivism outside of the election, AOC (a Bernie surrogate) just retweeted this news about Castro (a Warren surrogate) hosting a canvass for another candidate's election.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
That sounds like a problem unique to democrats, regardless of who wins.

GOP has set aside all their differences and fallen in line.
As the saying goes, "Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line." And it's not unique to the Dems - leftist parties and coalitions the world over are far more factional and less willing to work with one another than their right-wing counterparts are with each other.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling this "collusion" is like accusing people playing Risk of cheating because they made alliances. That's a legitimate and core element of the game.

Every candidate running would welcome the support of any candidate who dropped out.

This is a take I expect to continue to see right up to the convention, where Sanders will have the most votes and pledged delegates. And it's astonishingly dishonest.

But go ahead and "make your alliances" and see what happens!

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
Bernie's answer of what is he going to do when he can't pass the legislation he has promised always rubbed me the wrong way. Traveling to states and holding rallies is going to do fuck all. Trump has been doing rallies every month or so since his election and I can't think of one issue that has moved the needle on. Obama had probably the most legendary campaign I'll ever witness in 08 (he won fucking Indiana) and yet Scott Brown won the senate seat in Massachussets in 2010. So yeah I'm not buying that tactic at all.
Same tbh. Just makes me more apprehensive of Sanders' chances against Trump.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No system is perfect, but if you want to make the argument that 1.) swing voters in Connecticut are a better determinant of general election success in Ohio than Ohio, make the case.

2.) Dems are not winning by strategizing around flipping Republicans, so if your concern is independents than allow them into the process based on some criteria to avoid Republican sabotage. But knowing who is most enthusiastic about who in key states is a far more important data point than anything.

Either way, what I am not hearing is why the current situation is somehow optimal, or better than focusing on swing states first?
I never said the current system is great, but if we're replacing it we might as well replace it with a system that treats every voter the same, at least as much as possible. Your proposal does not.

Oct 27, 2017
Not when you're willingly not seeing them and low key hoping for it to happen
Basically. It makes plenty of sense that Pete is dropping out to bolster Biden

It makes sense Amy is staying in to deny Sanders a big win in MN, it's not like she thinks she's gonna be the nominee

Based on the responses in here it sounds like people are mad that Pete is actually validating the idea of dropping out in support of one of the frontrunners

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
He's been in California

on one hand it's annoying when candidates for president stop by 2.5 black churches in mississippi and alabama and then move on, but on the other hand i still maintain that it would be good, actually, for leftist candidates to work to build leftist movements in the rural south

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "brazen collusion" they're literally demanding from Warren as they decry it from ~*tHe MoDeRaTeS*~?

I dunno about Sanders but I personally couldn't give less of a shit what Warren does. She's being a petulant child and trying to get some scraps at a contested convention, and she has officially kicked the last of the goodwill she had with me off a cliff in that SC speech. Not that it matters since her remaining support is laughable.

Aug 12, 2019
I see we're in the "South Carolina voters aren't real progressives" state of erasure.

It shouldn't be controversial to point out that SC isn't nearly as representative as some people would have it be. When 74% of your vote is from people 45 and older, that is not indicative of how much of the rest of the country is going to vote. Nor were Iowa and New Hampshire good shows of the electorate because they skewed towards White voters. Even Nevada isn't a particularly representative state, though I would argue it has been the most diverse so far across multiple categories since it was the first one to really have a represent of Latino, African American, and White voters alongside considerably better age margins that South Carolina.

It's also totally fair to point out that because the SC electorate is so old, that yes, it skews considerably more conservative than much of the country.

Those are both fair assessments of SC as a state and maybe why it should have less weight attributed to it than other states. I argue very much the same of New Hampshire and Iowa. The early voting states are a mess TBH.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never said the current system is great, but if we're replacing it we might as well replace it with a system that treats every voter the same, at least as much as possible. Your proposal does not.
It's a system where every vote isn't treated the same so if your parameters are picking someone the party supports that you think can best win to pass your agenda, the process is going to need to best reflect a path to achieving that.

If we had a national popular vote determine our president I'd be all for it, but this shit is too serious to be waxing poetical about ideals in an unfair world IMO.

Not saying my back of the napkin idea is the best, but it seems pretty obvious that giving crucial states a stronger voice earlier in the process would go a long way to raise confidence that you have picked a sufficiently strong candidate for the general.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to win a majority of delegates to get the nomination. This will generally track with winning a majority of votes.

If your favorite candidate can't do that with their coalition, it's not the fault of everyone else that your favored candidate didn't win. That's on your candidate.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Turns out you can't run a unity banner without minorities.

It was always going to be Sanders vs Biden.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In what way is it dishonest?

And i'm voting for Sanders on Tuesday.

The party officials have a clear-cut agenda in terms of stopping a particular candidate, and the other candidates are explicitly saying out loud that they're operating in accordance with that agenda. The "alliance" that's being built is with the party elites, and voters are nothing more than chips in this scenario.

And that's great to hear.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
You need to win a majority of delegates to get the nomination. This will generally track with winning a majority of votes.

If your favorite candidate can't do that with their coalition, it's not the fault of everyone else that your favored candidate didn't win. That's on your candidate.
This is why I still have hope that Nevada is where the rest of the states really look like. CA and TX are gonna be blowouts.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a take I expect to continue to see right up to the convention, where Sanders will have the most votes and pledged delegates. And it's astonishingly dishonest.

But go ahead and "make your alliances" and see what happens!

Because that's how it works, why are you so shocked that a candidate who has openly attacked Sanders is suddenly not supporting Sanders when dropping out?

There isn't anything dishonest about what is being said, Sanders benefited from a splintered field which is rapidly consolidating.

Sanders needs to get fresh blood to start voting for him in primaries, the people he keeps saying are out there but aren't really showing up,
Or he needs to find ways to siphon votes from the people dropping out and become a good amount of peoples second choice, which from the state of things is not looking like a likely outcome.

Sanders isn't a unity candidate, he has a strong base but when challenged by a condensed field that base gets outnumbered.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest, I kinda wish AOC were pounding the Sanders drum harder lately. Watched the IG live stream she did last night which was just talking about, like...coronavirus. Which, eh

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's a system where every vote isn't treated the same so if your parameters are picking someone the party supports that you think can best win to pass your agenda, the process is going to need to best reflect a path to achieving that.

If we had a national popular vote determine our president I'd be all for it, but this shit is too serious to be waxing poetical about ideals in an unfair world IMO.

Not saying my back of the napkin idea is the best, but it seems pretty obvious that giving crucial states a stronger voice earlier in the process would go a long way to ensuring a stronger candidate for the general.
It seems obvious becaue it's an easy answer, not because it's the right one.

And again, the primary should not on an institutional level be geared around deciding who has the best chance of winning the general. It's to make sure the candidate with the most support within the Party becomes that parties' leader.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie's answer of what is he going to do when he can't pass the legislation he has promised always rubbed me the wrong way. Traveling to states and holding rallies is going to do fuck all. Trump has been doing rallies every month or so since his election and I can't think of one issue that has moved the needle on. Obama had probably the most legendary campaign I'll ever witness in 08 (he won fucking Indiana) and yet Scott Brown won the senate seat in Massachussets in 2010. So yeah I'm not buying that tactic at all.

FYI, Pete essentially said the same strategy when asked in an interview late January/ Early February.

If officials don't do what their constituents truly want, and if Bernie is able to get unions members to do a coordinated strike. I believe it would be possible to pass legislation.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
The "hey this is just how the game works" take on this brazen collusion among non-Sanders candidates is especially funny since it doesn't change the fact that he's going to get the most votes and have the most delegates. What the party chooses to do with that will determine whether they self-destruct or not.
This is such a silly take -- you're just jamming together a couple of pro-Sanders trains of thought without bothering to make sure they're consistent. I can kind of understand thinking that the politicking is icky. I can pretty well understand thinking that the nomination should just go to whoever has a plurality even if no one has a majority. It's ridiculous to think both. If all that matters is who gets the most delegates, regardless of whether there's a lot more vote-splitting going on among some factions of the party than others, then of course people are going to want to engage with each other outside of the actual elections in order to ensure that their faction isn't disadvantaged by vote-splitting.

"This is how the game works" because everyone knows that you're going to pitch a fit if Sanders has a plurality but doesn't get the nomination. It's your game.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The party officials have a clear-cut agenda in terms of stopping a particular candidate, and the other candidates are explicitly saying out loud that they're operating in accordance with that agenda. The "alliance" that's being built is with the party elites, and voters are nothing more than chips in this scenario.

There is nothing in the situation at all to support your point. Who are these "party officials", and what have they done here?

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You, uh, got some receipts on that clear cut agenda for stopping a particular candidate?

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Pete essentially said the same strategy when asked in an interview late January/ Early February.

If officials don't do what their constituents truly want, and if Bernie is able to get unions members to do a coordinated strike. I believe it would be possible to pass legislation.
It's a strategy we've never seen work, not in the modern era anyways, I can't speak to what happened in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.