• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think the best way to figure out where Butt's supporters go is the pool they come from, cause he wasn't the candidates who had their supporters switch second choice, they just switched as he rose.

Or maybe look at where his supporters went in second choice in Iowa, since that's his demos nationally.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Pete dropping out now is like Gilgamesh disappearing after you get him to half health.

He'll be back in the sequel with even more annoying mechanics.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Literally a few posts above yours

There are many people making this argument. You can disagree that it's the case, but you can't just snark 'oh boy those Bernie bros love to self-victimize for no reason'
There is nothing about my post that is self victimization, I'm saying what their strategy is. You're the one who is choosing to interpret it that way.
Like do you also consider us pointing out voter suppression done by Republicans as 'those damn libs just love to be victims'?

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing about my post that is self victimization, I'm saying what their strategy is. You're the one who is choosing to interpret it that way.
Like do you also consider us pointing out voter suppression done by Republicans as 'those damn libs just love to be victims'?
What? I wasn't criticizing your post at all

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
So you're ok with a second trump term if you don't get your first choice. Got it.
nah, biden is almost definitely narrowly losing to trump. in 2016, he would have handily defeated him. in 2020 with his decline? lol no. maybe if the left-wing energy bernie created rallies around him but what is there to rally around? just a name and feel-good statements about bipartisanship.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How a state votes in the primary has little to do with how it votes in the general. Letting swing state Democrats pick the nominee doesn't mean that nominee will perform well in those given states, as primary voters are already exceedingly likely to support their parties' candidate in the general, no matter who it is.

And again, swing state Democrats don't deserve more control over the party than Red state Democrats. They are all equally members of the party, or at least supporters.
It means you have an idea of what candidate drives enthusiasm amongst the party in key states with a clearer eye. It's no guarantee, but if the argument that Iowa, California, and South Carolina will be better barometers of what can help Democrats win in Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin, then, you know, holding primaries in those states earlier, make the case.

As to your second point, it makes no sense. As is, those swing states have less say than red states like Iowa and South Caroline due to how the process is scheduled and structured. The system is already imbalanced, it just makes no sense to imbalance it the way we currently do.

It's outdated and the fact no one seems capable of making the case for why if you were designing it from the ground up with an eye on winning today you would pick this same arrangement is telling.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nah, biden is almost definitely narrowly losing to trump. in 2016, he would have handily defeated him. in 2020 with his decline? lol no. maybe if the left-wing energy bernie created rallies around him but what is there to rally around? just a name and feel-good statements about bipartisanship.
That energy hasn't been translating into increased votes. Good Bernie areas from 2016 aren't showing upticks in turnout in the primaries/caucuses. The areas that ARE ticking up are the red/purple->blue transition areas, and those voters haven't been benefitting Sanders. The whole thesis is that new/lapsed voters will turn out for Sanders, but through both primary elections so far, we're just now seeing it happen.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It means you have an idea of what candidate drives enthusiasm amongst the party in key states with a clearer eye. It's no guarantee, but if the argument that Iowa, California, and South Carolina will be a better barometers of what can help Democrats win in Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin, then, you know, holding primaries in those states earlier, make the case.

As to your second point, it makes no sense. As is those swing states have less say than red states like Iowa and South Caroline due to how the process is scheduled and structured. The system is already imbalanced, it just makes no sense to imbalance it the way we currently do.

It's outdated and the fact no one seems capable of making the case for why if you were designing it for the he ground up with an eye on winning you would pick this same arrangement is telling.
The point of the primary isn't to win the general above all, the point is for the members of a party to choose who they want to represent them. How they expect that person to perform in the general is a part of that consideration, but it's not the only element.

Otherwise, if the goal is just to pick the nominee with the best chance of winning the general, there are certainly more efficient and likely accurate ways to do so without all the hard work and acrimony of a primary.

And again, If you vote in a party primary you are very very likely to vote in the general for that parties' nominee. Those are not the voters whose enthusiasm you generally need to worry about on Election Day.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a big Pete fan, but if he gets on the ticket as VP I'd be very interested to see how a debate between Mike Pence and a gay mayor from Indiana will play out.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Have we had any post SC polling? The results there plus Steyer and Buttigieg out should make the race more interesting. Biden will get a boost especially in Southern states, but how much of a boost?

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The point of the primary isn't to win the general above all, the point is for the members of a party to choose who they want to represent them. How they expect that person to perform in the general is a part of that consideration, but it's not the only element.

Otherwise, if the goal is just to pick the nominee with the best chance of winning the general, there are certainly more efficient and likely accurate ways to do so without all the hard work and acrimony of a primary.
None of that is compromised by making the process more aligned with winning on today's map.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I mean should she not? Their platforms are very similar
Seems like there is too much bad blood between them.
Besides she didn't endorse him in 2016 either, so it's not like she has a history of endorsing him.
At this point there's a greater chance of Tulsi dropping out and endorsing Bernie than Warren doing it.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Have we had any post SC polling? The results there plus Steyer and Buttigieg out should make the race more interesting. Biden will get a boost especially in Southern states, but how much of a boost?

Tonight we will get Emerson for California. Reminder that Emerson is currently the BEST POLLSTER now that DFP flopped.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
None of that is compromised by making the process more aligned with winning on today's map.

How does that look though? Only taking into account swing states? Or somehow giving them more weight? Despite all the trouble it causes, I do like that everyone gets a voice to pick the candidate they want to represent them as president, no matter the state they live in.

Aug 12, 2019
"Early Voting is Bad" (outside the final few days before an election) was my position and this cycle has only dug me harder into it. Absentee is a different thing and just fine.

God forbid people want to vote early so as to avoid personal headaches or they just can't make a vote because of personal circumstances/arrangements that day.

In no world should we be railing against something that incentivizes more turnout when our nationwide turnout is already considerably lower than it needs to be.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
"Early Voting is Bad" (outside the final few days before an election) was my position and this cycle has only dug me harder into it. Absentee is a different thing and just fine.
idk what my opinion of it is. I'm all for everything that makes more people have an easier time voting but it does seem shitty to lock people to a decision regardless of what changes before election day

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Pete just answered the call of duty.

The snake knows his only political future is by latching onto the corporatist wing and weaseling into an administration in some capacity that is supported by the same interests.

He knows there is no future for his career if Sanders is the nominee after he sold out his soul to chase the wine cave money from the corporatist wing of the party.

Frustrating thing is, if he had just stuck to his principles from a year ago, he would have been well positioned for either wing of the party to win.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
idk what my opinion of it is. I'm all for everything that makes more people have an easier time voting but it does seem shitty to lock people to a decision regardless of what changes before election day

I mean people are willingly doing it themselves, they decided to go vote for someone early.

I don't really think its a problem but I think having ranked choice voting would just fix that problem anyway and we should have it too. If your candidate drops out just bump everyone else on your list up a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.