• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
The results should really scare Bernie. It shows how bad polling is with black voters.

His coalition may not be as broad as he though.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
As incredibly incompetant as democratic leadership is, I don't think a brokered convention will happen.

If I'm wrong tho, and they give the nomination to anyone besides Bernie or Biden, Trump will be reelected. No question, no doubt. No one else in the race even has the beginning of a coalition.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I think that the current bernie support outpouring against Warren is a combination of her going against him in her last speech and the fact that her endgame plan is absolute nonsense but also an emotional reaction because of how the biden win could change the race

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
As incredibly incompetant as democratic leadership is, I don't think a brokered convention will happen.

If I'm wrong tho, and they give the nomination to anyone besides Bernie or Biden, Trump will be reelected. No question, no doubt. No one else in the race even has the beginning of a coalition.
I don't think Biden can survive the backlash if he is given the nom despite not having at least a plurality.

That sort of backlash would put "Bernie or Bust" to shame.

Dec 31, 2017
After Bernie I feel the best about Biden and Warren. The rest are all noise honestly .

Shit a Biden/Bernie ticket if they were both 5-10 years younger would have DESTROYED. I know Joe may not be as progressive as Bernie but he still seems to be a genuine candidate and he believes in the policies he's proposing. I don't think he's mentally not there, but I think he's just not as sharp as he once was. But once in a while you see that spark and passion in him. Bernie is always 100% on his message all the time and just seems more "with it" compared to Joe, even though he's older.

As for Warren, her policies are great, she would make a great President, but I don't know what her campaign has been doing recently. Just complete mismanagement at a grand level combined with sexism has led to this poor showing and it's a shame. But I'd still happily vote for her over the rest of the options. Buttigieg needs to find things he actually believes in and he would be a much better politician. Klobuchar is just here to pat herself on the back. Bloomberg needs to be taken down come convention time.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Bernie is the front runner. Why would she focus her energy on someone not the front runner?
Again, she has no shot at being the nominee. She's hasn't come close to winning a state, her numbers have tanked, and it looks like she won't even win her home state. Attacking the only other progressive in the race at this point is not a good look. Maybe this is one last play to get a boost on ST, but if she doesn't win anything and stays in the race to attack Bernie... Then yea, I dunno what she's thinking.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Right now:

-Warren is still my preferred candidate but I've basically accepted that, barring a miracle, its not going to be her

-I'm behind Bernie at this point, if only because his momentum does seem to be real and if he wins it, he wins it. I'd like to see what a Sanders presidency could do, but I am worried about performance in the general

-In November I've resigned myself to voting for Biden if I have to. I still think things he's said are really offputting and concerning, but if he wins I'm hoping he's toothless enough in practice that the rest of the party can just use his position in the white house to govern

-I have no real idea how I feel about Buttigieg. I don't like him, I'd vote for him but I wouldn't feel good about it. Right now that's not likely to be a problem.

-Fuck Bloomberg. If its Bloomberg I might honestly just vote for the downballot

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
The Warren hate here is just weird. I truly don't get it. If it comes to it and she's the nominee that is an immensely better outcome for Bernie supporters than ANY candidate left.

Just because Bernie is not everyone's #1 with a bullet doesn't mean Warren's supporters are in the wrong or Warren is out to get Bernie.

She has literally every right to stay in this race and I feel like if roles were reversed the vitriol would be reversed as well. The tribalism is just weird to me.

She wont be the nominee.
At this point, her sole purpose in this race is to lie about and weaken Bernie. That is pretty wild for someone who is just as progressive as Bernie, do not you think?

Aug 12, 2019
I don't get why people are going so crazy about this, Warren still thinks she can win via this strategy. If we go to a brokered convention then no candidate will have attained the majority of votes to win outright. In such a scenario, it's anybody's ballgame as to who can rally the delegates to their side. Warren likely sees in such a scenario that the delegates one coalesce around Biden because he failed to win outright and is thus seen as too weak and old to beat Trump. Thus, Warren can make her case for uniting everyone behind her as the party won't want to see Bernie win but can't piss off his base too much so Warren would be seen as a compromise. Or at the very least she can use her influence as clout to get herself a VP slot for whoever, Not Bernie, is trying to have the convention pick them. There's also the fact that Biden is an old dude so a 68' Convention scenario is likely in the back of her head.

You may not like it, but it's a path to victory and she's in this to win. This is politics. Warren staying in isn't theft to Bernie votes no more than Bernie staying in against Hillary was theft of her votes. It's Bernie's job to win those votes and if he can't win them from Warren then that's his fault. I say this as a Bernie-stan. Bernie needs to dominate Super Tuesday so we can stop such madness from happening.

If Warren gets the nomination without having won a single state, which is looking increasingly likely, then she's already lost no matter how someone tries to frame it. And that goes for any of the candidates trying to get the nomination from a brokered convention. If you haven't won a state or you have only won a single state to the other frontrunner's respective 10 or 20+ wins and you're woefully trailing in delegates, why would you ever be the candidate to try to walk out with that nomination? Like, that's not just going to cost a ton in the general, but you're also looking at destroying your own political career to walk out with the true nomination. A forced Vice Presidential pick? That's at least more reasonable, but saying that Bernie and Joe have a combined 60-70% of the vote, we're going to split the difference and pick a Warren, a Klobuchar, a Bloomberg, or a Buttigieg stands to just rip about the Democratic electorate and leave an extremely narrow margin of people while also committing the mistake of thinking people entirely vote along ideological lines and not for specific candidates quite frequently.

Like, your campaign is your campaign to run, but if you're not winning anything and playing for the contested convention, you're playing an extremely dangerous, and IMO, an extremely dumb game.

The thing is Biden looked more energized in his last two debates and I believe that had something to do with his bounce back as well. His speech yesterday was also pretty good.

Ehhh... not really? I don't see how you get that read on things, like, last night I'm willing to agree was at least the first time he acted like a candidate in a critically important race, but the idea of his debate performances being more energized doesn't really resonate. They were just improved because he went from catastrophically bad for several months in a row to just OK. Again, that's not making much of a case for him as the nominee. Like does one halfway decent speech and two not train wrecks of a debate really make a candidate that much more appealing or indicative of him as a leader when he's literally done fuck all for organization in the rest of the primary, and there are months demonstrating him failing to have any sort of energy or spark even when he was the pronounced frontrunner by all the media when this thing started?

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
The results should really scare Bernie. It shows how bad polling is with black voters.

Why do people keep acting like we didn't know Biden put everything he had in South Carolina? That it was his firewall and was expected to win it handily? These "Bernie should be scared/ His coalition isn't as broad as he thought" jabs seem a little early.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017

I know it's up to the States and not the party but I wish the more diverse States went first. Like, if we need it to be Biden, it is what it is, would have been nice of him to have a strong start instead of flailing at the beginning. I wish there was more flexibility and each party's more important States could go first, and we could revisit that order every couple of elections, instead of basically always following the same order.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
She wont be the nominee.
At this point, her sole purpose in this race is to lie about and weaken Bernie. That is pretty wild for someone who is just as progressive as Bernie, do not you think?
I don't know why people keep insisting this. Even if she can't win the nomination, the more delegates she earns the greater the impact she can have on the Democratic platform.

She has every right to continue the race, and her supporters deserve the right to cast their votes for her.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Why do people keep acting like we didn't know Biden put everything he had in South Carolina? That it was his firewall and was expected to win it handily? These "Bernie should be scared/ His coalition isn't as broad as he thought" jabs seem a little early.
And we just had a tweet yesterday showing that polling in SC typically drastically underrepresents how much the leader is going to win by.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
She wont be the nominee.
I do not think that because she doesn't have to throw her support behind Bernie or anyone else just because you or I may want her to. If she believes she is the best person for the job then so be it.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
In fairness, most people didn't think Bernie would be blown out in SC, not by the margin. Bernie is polling similar in Georgia. Biden is going to take the Deep South and likely Florida. I hope Bernie can make up in Texas, California and New England/rust belt. Warren is a spoiler and there's the real possibility Pete and Klobuchar will bail after Super Tuesday which will bolster Biden. If Bernie misses the nomination, you can thank desperate Liz "make ME vp " Warren.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I do not think that because she doesn't have to throw her support behind Bernie or anyone else just because you or I may want her to. If she believes she is the best person for the job then so be it.

At this point, I do not know any Sanders-supporter who expects Warren to support Bernie, it is very clear that she has no intention of doing so. To Matt: yeah, she can continue to run, and we are free to write observations about her actions. She is not pushing any policy at this point, because she has no path to the nomination. Yeah, if there is a brokered convention, she can have weight, sure, but at that point, if Bernie is the clear frontrunner and is denied of a nomination, pushing policy will be the least of the democratic party's worries.

In fairness, most people didn't think Bernie would be blown out in SC, not by the margin. Bernie is polling similar in Georgia. Biden is going to take the Deep South and likely Florida. I hope Bernie can make up in Texas, California and New England/rust belt. Warren is a spoiler and there's the real possibility Pete and Klobuchar will bail after Super Tuesday which will bolster Biden. If Bernie misses the nomination, you can thank desperate Liz "make ME vp " Warren.

Lets also not act like a 20% from Bernie in SC is a particularly bad outcome either. He kept the lead, albeit a small one.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
In fairness, most people didn't think Bernie would be blown out in SC, not by the margin. Bernie is polling similar in Georgia. Biden is going to take the Deep South and likely Florida. I hope he can make up in Texas, California and New England/rust belt. Warren is a spoiler and there's the real possibility Pete and Klobuchar will bail after Super Tuesday which will bolster Biden. If Bernie misses the nomination, you can thank desperate Liz "make ME vp " Warren.
If Bernie isn't the nominee, it's because not enough people voted for him.

He isn't owed anything, Warren has just as much right to compete as he does.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Man that result has gotten a lot of folks shook. Bernie supporters trying to browbeat Warren and her supporters into throwing in the towel right this second is such a weird look. I don't see any Biden supporters trying to push Bloomberg or other moderates into giving up like this.

It's as if this place forgot how toxic Bernie haters were just a few months ago and how they were asking Bernie to drop out of the race based on post debate pollings and nothing else.

We are saying if she wants to push the progressive agenda as much as possible after even Warren supporters here are stating she doesn't have a path to victory, then it would make sense for her to drop out and throw her support to the progressive candidate that happens to be the front runner.

Biden and Bloomberg are 2nd and 3rd and is in no way analogous.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any chance that the people upset at Warren for still running would be upset at Bernie if the situations were reversed?
I would be if Bernie were also doing this without winning any states and telegraphing that he's in this for himself. Bernie tried to get Warren to run for VP and it's documented that he wanted to basically make her the Dick Cheney of VP's as far as banking and the financial sector go. She would have likely been the second most powerful vice president in US history. In all this time even at their friendliest I've never seen such a feeling reciprocated from Warren which was fine by me. I'm also more sad than angry at Warren's current state of affairs. I'm not going to call for her to drop out, but watching her just makes me a little sad.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
And we just had a tweet yesterday showing that polling in SC typically drastically underrepresents how much the leader is going to win by.

Yeah, but he was still projected to win by potentially a lot. People were already warning that polls for SC always mess up the 65+ black vote so expect higher numbers. It's not that Biden flipped it around or anything. Bernie getting 20% is about what I expected even though I hoped it'd be a lot closer. People who are for Biden should be more concerned that he's put nothing into any ST states and will probably be riding only on this result. On top of that, there's no Rep Clyburn to save his ass in any other state on ST.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
They both think Blacks are inferior to Whites.
They both have white supremacist friends.
They both criminalize Blacks, Biden moreso.

This is a good starting point.
Good fucking grief.
How do you square believing that with Biden having the highest African American support by far?

The Warren hate here is just weird. I truly don't get it. If it comes to it and she's the nominee that is an immensely better outcome for Bernie supporters than ANY candidate left.

Just because Bernie is not everyone's #1 with a bullet doesn't mean Warren's supporters are in the wrong or Warren is out to get Bernie.

She has literally every right to stay in this race and I feel like if roles were reversed the vitriol would be reversed as well. The tribalism is just weird to me.
Tribalism is awful and I'm disgusted that it's taking over the left almost as much as it took over the right. This isn't sports.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
When is the next debate? Wonder if it will build or stifle the momentum for Sanders and/or Biden.

Also a factor against Biden at the moment as as much as Warren is playing spoiler for Sanders (seemingly) Bloomberg might be doing the same for Biden.

I forget how mentally draining this all is

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Good fucking grief.
How do you square believing that with Biden having the highest African American support by far?

Tribalism is awful and I'm disgusted that it's taking over the left almost as much as it took over the right. This isn't sports.

Bernie passed Biden in black voter support nationally.
Newsweek article
Senator Bernie Sanders has surpassed former Vice President Joe Biden in support from black voters, making him the most favorable candidate for that demographic, a new national poll shows.

The Hill/HarrisX survey has Sanders extending his lead in the 2020 Democratic presidential race after Tuesday night's debate—and with a 9-point advantage among black voters. Overall, Sanders saw a 6-point increase from last week's Hill/HarrisX poll, with 28 percent support among Democratic and Democratic-leaning independent voters. The poll was conducted between February 23 and 24 and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 points.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

It's moreso the glaring hypocrisy after a year of Warren folks insisting they were actually very similar candidates, that they're together in the fight against the moderates, that supporters of one should support the other, only for Warren to turn around in the wake of HORRIBLE early state performances and adopt basically the same "only I can fix things" savior complex Bernie has been accused of.

I was laughed at and called a conspiracy theorist for saying that Warren clearly does not like Bernie and has bought into the narrative that he is a do-nothing, mediocre white guy sucking all the oxygen away from her, an accomplished and effectual woman, but I cannot think of another explanation for why she wouldn't put her weight behind the likeliest torch-bearer for her supposedly progressive ideals. Either she doesn't actually care about the ideals and was just running in the Left-ish lane to try and snooker progressive voters, or she's a bit of a narcissist and thinks she's the only possible vehicle for those ideals seeing fruition. Either way, that's not a very admirable suite of traits for an ostensibly Left-wing politician.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What are the stats for Bernie chances for Super Tuesday? He's in need of a win after SC man. I don't want a brokered convention

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
When is the next debate. Wonder if it will build or stifle the momentum for Sanders and/or Biden.

Also a factor against Biden at the moment as as much as Warren is playing spoiler for Sanders (seemingly) Bloomberg might be doing the same for Biden.

I forget how mentally draining this all is

Next debate is March 15th. Super Tuesday is so close there probably won't be any other momentum builder between now and then.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
It's as if this place forgot how toxic Bernie haters were just a few months ago and how they were asking Bernie to drop out of the race based on post debate pollings and nothing else.

We are saying if she wants to push the progressive agenda as much as possible after even Warren supporters here are stating she doesn't have a path to victory, then it would make sense for her to drop out and throw her support to the progressive candidate that happens to be the front runner.

Biden and Bloomberg are 2nd and 3rd and is in no way analogous.

You know how else she can push a progressive agenda? By staying in the race.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so it might be Old Man Joe. I'd vote for him. Wanna know who won't? Scorned Bernie supporters if the DNC goes the route of denying him the nomination via a brokered convention. Because of this, I almost wish Joe would win the delegate count and therefore the sting would lessen for Sanders supporters. We need every blue vote!

dots

Oct 27, 2017
It's moreso the glaring hypocrisy after a year of Warren folks insisting they were actually very similar candidates, that they're together in the fight against the moderates, that supporters of one should support the other, only for Warren to turn around in the wake of HORRIBLE early state performances and adopt basically the same "only I can fix things" savior complex Bernie has been accused of.

I was laughed at and called a conspiracy theorist for saying that Warren clearly does not like Bernie and has bought into the narrative that he is a do-nothing, mediocre white guy sucking all the oxygen away from her, an accomplished and effectual woman, but I cannot think of another explanation for why she wouldn't put her weight behind the likeliest torch-bearer for her supposedly progressive ideals. Either she doesn't actually care about the ideals and was just running in the Left-ish lane to try and snooker progressive voters, or she's a bit of a narcissist and thinks she's the only possible vehicle for those ideals seeing fruition. Either way, that's not a very admirable suite of traits for an ostensibly Left-wing politician.
Maybe she thinks he is a bad general election candidate. Which isn't a crazy take.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Right now:

-Warren is still my preferred candidate but I've basically accepted that, barring a miracle, its not going to be her

-I'm behind Bernie at this point, if only because his momentum does seem to be real and if he wins it, he wins it. I'd like to see what a Sanders presidency could do, but I am worried about performance in the general

-In November I've resigned myself to voting for Biden if I have to. I still think things he's said are really offputting and concerning, but if he wins I'm hoping he's toothless enough in practice that the rest of the party can just use his position in the white house to govern

-I have no real idea how I feel about Buttigieg. I don't like him, I'd vote for him but I wouldn't feel good about it. Right now that's not likely to be a problem.

-Fuck Bloomberg. If its Bloomberg I might honestly just vote for the downballot

Are you me?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
What are the stats for Bernie chances for Super Tuesday? He's in need of a win after SC man. I don't want a brokered convention

He's leading in Texas polls by a few points, but is expecting a blowout in CA, which hopefully doesn't change over the next 2 days. If those numbers hold, SC will be a blip immediately forgotten.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said that, I said polling with black voters isn't good, and that Bernie's support in that group isn't as good as polls are showing. As evidenced by him getting blown out yesterday.

I think this was more of a South Carolina specific thing, since apparently there's a constant underpolling problem there. But again, we know that the polls showed the race tightening until about a week before the vote, and at that point Biden's numbers started skyrocketing. Likely a combo of moderate undecideds flocking to him to stop Bernie after Nevada + the Clyburn endorsement.

Status
Not open for further replies.