• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Just woke up and saw the results from SC. Totally expected (though a slightly wider margin ahead of Bernie than I anticipated), but how are folks in this thread feeling about Biden's chances following these results?

I think North Carolina is the only other Super Tuesday state he's leading in, but I'm wondering what effect, if any, these two states will have on his campaign

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, do you think that the majority of voters are sitting around waiting for who their representatives will endorse before committing to a single candidate? Biden won by this margin because of his overwhelming support from the African American community, Clyburns endorsement wasnt going to change this.
www.usatoday.com

How Rep. James Clyburn, a South Carolina icon, helped Biden score his big comeback

Exit polls showed nearly half of Democratic primary voters in South Carolina said James Clyburn’s endorsement was an important factor in their vote.

Exit polls indicated that nearly half – 47% – of Democratic primary voters in South Carolina said Clyburn's endorsement was an important factor in their vote. Moreover, 24% said it was the most important factor.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
At least I've never voted for someone who would kills a baby that's seconds away from delivery. Who care how much pain they can feel.

Hey as long as there feet don't touch US soil am I right?

So your defense for the poor policies of the Republican party on homelessness is Democrats kill babies seconds from delivery. An interesting strategy. Let's ask the leader of the Republican party how he feels about homelessness:

Tom Braden
I believe Kuwait a long. They're worried enough about Iran. So we don't have to take them on. I want to know one other thing about you. Why don't you build a low-cost housing?

Donald Trump
It's very difficult problem. It's the biggest problem. One of the biggest problems this country is going to face. If you look at the homeless situation all over the country, it's because of the fact that there is no housing. The federal government used to have programs a lot of programs they don't have any programs right now. And it is a major problem.

Pat Buchanan
Well, we do have program Donald.

Donald Trump
Well, you know, how small the programs are. I mean, if you look at the 1960s and the early 70s, you have massive programs for low moderate and middle income housing. Today you have virtually no programs. You have some minor program to senior citizen housing. You had an approval the other day of potential program. And it's just not enough.

Tom Braden
Why does Donald Trump steps in and say look, I want to show you how to build low-cost housing and a profit. And get the job done.

Donald Trump
Well, first of all you can't Tom build a low-cost housing and a profit and I wish you could. You can build an efficiently economically as long as you have assistance and help from the government. And I wish we could get that help from the government because it's desperately needed. When you look at the homeless, when you look at all the problems on the streets, a lot of that is directly related to a lack of housing.

factba.se

Transcript - Interview: Donald Trump on CNN's Crossfire with Tom Braden and Pat Buchanan - December 23, 1987 | Factba.se

Interview: Donald Trump on CNN's Crossfire with Tom Braden and Pat Buchanan - December 23, 1987

Donald Trump advocating for public housing programs and admitting why many builders don't pursue building them, because there isn't a profit. Hmm it seems like pure capitalism isn't the answer for the homelessness crisis in the United States. Now that Donald Trump is President, what has he done in regards to homelessness? Oh right, he nominated a fucking surgeon to be head of HUD because it has urban in the name of the department and the surgeon is black.

Then there's this:

On March 11, 2019, the Trump Administration released its Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Summary. The White House is proposing more than $9 billion in cuts to critical housing programs. The House of Representatives FY 2020 Spending Bill would increase the funding levels of those programs by more than $3 Billion.

Trump 2020 HUD Budget Cuts $10.25 Billion From Critical Housing Programs

On March 11, 2019, the Trump Administration released its Fiscal Year 2019 Budget Summary. The White House is proposing an $10.25 billion cut representing a massive 18.3% cut.

Hmm I wonder who's in charge of the House?

This is your party bro, you can whine about abortions all you want but you brought this up, you should own it.

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, do you think that the majority of voters are sitting around waiting for who their representatives will endorse before committing to a single candidate? Biden won by this margin because of his overwhelming support from the African American community, Clyburns endorsement wasnt going to change this.

Unless MSNBC's (from memory, could be CNN) exit poll is wrong, close to 50% said his endorsement influenced their vote.

Clyburn isn't hated in South Carolina so...

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every one of these dorks that pretends to be a moderate republican eventually starts spouting the Facebook Racist Uncle bullshit even Fox News would say "hey, maybe that's a bit over the top."

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, this is where we're at after South Carolina:
Xpp9aDQ.png

Biden is now ~5.8% ahead in the popular vote, but behind 6 delegates after South Carolina.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are there people who honestly think that at a hypothetical brokered convention the person with the most votes or delegates should automatically get the nomination?

If it's really close, that's absurd. The strongest ticket should get the nomination if there's no majority and a bunch of potential nominees are within a couple percent of each other.

Stop the derangement. If a candidate can't swing a majority (like Hillary did in 2016), or a VERY strong plurality lead, all bets are off.

If you have a slight delegate edge but somebody else chooses a running mate who made a really strong showing and you do not, go home. That is not rigging.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Bloomberg isn't the nominee, he isn't spending a dime
I don't think this is true. Bloomberg has a personal grudge against Trump, and since he's 78 he's thinking of how posterity will view him. It would be the feather in his cap if his money put Biden over the top and the whole conventional wisdom after the election recognized it.

Bloomberg is on tilt. His massive billionaire ego is at stake. He's Peter Thiel going after Gawker. He wants the win to satisfy a pure personal vendetta just so he'll know that deep down, he got him.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Are there people who honestly think that at a hypothetical brokered convention the person with the most votes or delegates should get the nomination?

If it's really close, that's absurd. The strongest ticket should get the nomination if there's no majority and a bunch of potential nominees are within a couple percent of each other.

Stop the derangement. If a candidate can't swing a majority (like Hillary did in 2016), or a VERY strong plurality lead, all bets are off.

If you have a slight delegate edge but somebody else chooses a running mate who made a really strong showing and you do not, go home. That is not rigging.
Who determines who has the stronger ticket?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Just woke up and saw the results from SC. Totally expected (though a slightly wider margin ahead of Bernie than I anticipated), but how are folks in this thread feeling about Biden's chances following these results?

I think North Carolina is the only other Super Tuesday state he's leading in, but I'm wondering what effect, if any, these two states will have on his campaign

The south and candidates dropping out will keep Biden viable and make this a two horse race heading into the convention.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly embarrassing how predictable people in this state are 🙄 I guess they like being pandered to.

Unless MSNBC's (from memory, could be CNN) exit poll is wrong, close to 50% said his endorsement influenced their vote.

Clyburn isn't hated in South Carolina so...

The Clyburn impact was huge 🙄

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have to ask does Clyburn mean anything outside of SC. Really hope his influence is contained.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
really I won't even be motivated to go to the polls if my favorite candidate doesn't support the live beheading of toddlers as they emerge from the womb

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User warned: violating the staff post in regards to metacommentary
Who determines who has the stronger ticket?

Subjective.

You know what else is subjective?

When Bernie was literally *crying* at the 2016 convention it's because he was hoping the superdelegates would anoint him and override Hillary's *majority* that she won in the primaries. He wanted the DNC to overturn the majority, not even a plurality, for him.

Because he thought he subjectively was better.

So if the Bernistas lose their shit over him not getting the nomination with a hypothetical thin plurality...Jesus, the fucking hypocrisy will be massive.

If they decide they'd rather see another Trump term than somebody else win the general, they deserve to be drowned in their own piss.

Discloser: I voted for Bernie in the 2016 Ohio primary and I'll never vote for him again...unless he's the candidate, and then I'll literally canvass for him in the general. Vote blue, no matter who.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I don't think this is true. Bloomberg has a personal grudge against Trump, and since he's 78 he's thinking of how posterity will view him. It would be the feather in his cap if his money put Biden over the top and the whole conventional wisdom after the election recognized it.

Bloomberg is on tilt. His massive billionaire ego is at stake. He's Peter Thiel going after Gawker. He wants the win to satisfy a pure personal vendetta just so he'll know that deep down, he got him.

Bloomberg isn't spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a grudge. If he hated Trump that much he never would have funded Republican Senators in 2018 to help the GOP keep the Senate. I mean he hates the guy but he helps him maintain the balance of power in the Senate so he can't be removed? Nah.

Bloomberg is spending money to help Bloomberg. His money is fool's gold.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Subjective.

When Bernie was literally *crying* at the 2016 convention it's because he was hoping the superdelegates would anoint him and override Hillary's *majority* that she won in the primaries. He wanted the DNC to overturn the majority, not even a plurality, for him.

So if the Bernistas lose their shit over him not getting the nomination with a hypothetical thin plurality...Jesus, the fucking hypocrisy will be massive.

If they decide they'd rather see another Trump term than somebody else win the general, they deserve to be drowned in their own piss.

Discloser: I voted for Bernie in the 2016 Ohio primary and I'll never vote for him again...unless he's the candidate, and then I'll literally canvass for him in the general. Vote blue, no matter who.
Ok so "subjective" and then venting about Bernie + shitty fans doesn't really answer my question.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

Bernie had endorsed Hillary weeks before the convention and then gave her a rousing endorsement speech at the convention.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subjective.

This is so disingenuous

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Subjective.

This is very subjective yes, in that it objectively did not happen lol.

Bernie released his delegates to Clinton for the convention in exchange for rule changes at the DNC.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
So did Warren fucking with Bernie lead to her downfall or did she cause that through other means?
The Bernie thing was minor, she and her staff have made terrible decisions consistently over months. She's been consistently outrun by a dude with an unpronounceable name with no actual resume among her own strongest demos lol

She's great for many reasons but she's turned out to be a pretty terrible politician.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
What the blimmin' hell are you talking about?

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sanders pulled the entire party to the left when he stayed until the convention. Warren can stay in the race as long as she wants (superpac money will be a nice help to keep going forward) but I don't really see what she's accomplishing.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sanders pulled the entire party to the left when he stayed until the convention. Warren can stay in the race as long as she wants (superpac money will be a nice help to keep going forward) but I don't really see what she's accomplishing.

keeping delegates from Bernie so he doesn't get the required majority to win the nom

Oct 25, 2017
People do realize that the higher tax is only for the amount they make above the cut right ? at least that's how it is here. So with the millionaire thing, you'd still get taxed the lower amount for the first million, and then higher above that. That means you still get the majority of the first million.

Also, it'd be great if the OP was updated with results for each state. As a non american, it can be difficult to find out the results at times.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
People do realize that the higher tax is only for the amount they make above the cut right ? at least that's how it is here. So with the millionaire thing, you'd still get taxed the lower amount for the first million, and then higher above that. That means you still get the majority of the first million.

Also, it'd be great if the OP was updated with results for each state. As a non american, it can be difficult to find out the results at times.

That's how taxes work here too, but shockingly a lot of people don't seem to understand that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Subjective.

So you're just carrying a chip on your shoulder over 2016? Good to know.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. People really don't understand how a marginal tax rate works.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
So you're just carrying a chip on your shoulder over 2016? Good to know.
A lot of the anti-Bernie people are legit carrying around irrational anger from 2016, whether they admit it or not. It's bizarre too because it was Hillary and her campaign that ultimately failed us. Got to love how they choose to ignore how hard Bernie campaigned for her.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
A lot of the anti-Bernie people are legit carrying around irrational anger from 2016, whether they admit it or not.
It's the only thing that explains why people are that anti-Bernie despite his policy positions reflecting his talking points, which is something they champion on this forum 100% in other threads. We legit have people cheering for Biden despite Bernie being flat out more in line with their views. They just make excuses as to why they don't want Bernie like "but his agenda won't pass."

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The last time a candidate wasn't chosen in the 1st round was 1952. In all likelihood, none of the candidates, the DNC, and the major political figures in the Party would actually let the convention go to a situation where the 1st vote wasn't conclusive.

If it shapes up to be a brokered convention, the backdoor dealing would probably begin their end run after Super Tuesday and finish before the start of the convention.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

In case it wasn't clear- Warren's campaign knows they can't win enough primary votes, and so does her SuperPac. Billionaires are now backing Warren specifically to siphon votes to "slow Bernie's momentum". The Warren campaign is now admitting it.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
I find it interesting that our 'friend' the Republican said we think 70% of American people are 'evil'. It also happens to be roughly the percentage of people who are 'in the moment'(sensor) as opposed to abstract thinkers/dreamers, according to Myers-Briggs theory. Today's society has made causing suffering to other people (I would call that evil) a very abstracted affair. Responsibility for suffering is split among many, and is very indirect. Would republicans intentionally cause suffering to their neighbours? No, I don't think they would But we don't live in enclosed communities anymore, and your vote can hurt many in more a way that's very hard to wrap your head around.

Note: I'm not claiming people who are not abstract thinkers are evil, I'm not claiming anyone is evil. What I'm saying is that our society, especially American society, is set up poorly to prevent people from inadvertently causing harm to others.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's how taxes work here too, but shockingly a lot of people don't seem to understand that.
To be fair I don't remember that being taught once in school and like yeah sure it makes common sense and you can always look it up but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.