• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Look I live in California which is the worst state in the country for poor people probably. Worst homeless rate in the country. I also believe California has the worst debt. California has been a dem state for what 30 years? Then I think what's the best state to live in financially. Texas comes straight to mind. Texas probably being the most republican.

Maybe someone could educate me as to why the most dem state is the worst off for the poorest people. That's a serious question btw.

I look at the poor situation here and think maybe the more government try's to help people the more it enables them. Maybe I'm totally wrong there idk.

I don't hate my union either. If I did wouldn't I have left? I did a non union apprenticeship. And then later joined the union. If I hated my union I wouldn't be in it.
Funny, I live in Houston, Texas for the moment. The poverty rate and the homeless situation is in no way defensible. By every metric it is worse here.

You talk about debt, I drive on crumbling infrastructure and across a vital interstate bridge every day for work that has been in emergency repair for 15 months out of the last two years. Just had a boil water alert due to a water line explosion that drowned part of the city. All in large part because the state government is too busy handing out subsidies to thriving businesses than investing back into their communities and infrastructure. Gun laws that help be amongst the leaders in the nation in gun deaths

Enviorenemtnal state laws catered to attract poisonous and near unaccountable businesses that are literally killing their inhabitants and paying nothing for the privilege. Either by the annual plant explosions due to decay and poor management, or the slow death of poorly regulated plants that pump toxic chemicals into the air. The cities these plants reside in are often dumps, because the people work there know not to live there and those that live there are essentially subsidizing the businesses on false promises that the crumbling cities prove the lies. With local papers so scared to report that there were deaths that went unreported recently because Exxon applied a heavy hand.

I see an oil and gas industry driven by turnarounds plagued with working standards almost fit for third world countries. 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week, 30 minute lunch breaks. 2 hour commutes, no job security because of right to work laws, little to no retirement funds, healthcare that is unusable because workers have to jump companies as projects close out and start over on deductibles. But there you are talking about the horrors of Democrats and massaging your union pension and healthcare that would be near impossible in Texas unless you found the rare liberal minded organization willing to sacrifice their cold selfish interests for yours.

Education that pushes the rich to expensive private schools to avoid underfunded public ones or flee to suburbs. Leaving middle class people like yourself scrambling to come up with tens of thousands of dollars a year on top of your taxes to access better schools and by extension support re-segregation efforts.

You can try and play the democratic city card but Texas Republicans make sure to punish those cities with state level laws bending them to their will.

....And as an aside, I would love for you to look into how the so called "free market" played out with Houston energy. That's a fun wake up call to the ugly side of unregulated capitalism. Most people paying more for energy because left to their devices companies created shell companies and colluded to create a near impossibly complex layer of confusion for consumers that locks people into time bomb contract and often gouges many customers with hidden fees unless you are an absolute savvy customer with the time to wade the complex legalese designed to trick you.

Last edited:

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The problem is that you are assuming that California's government is actually trying to help poor people (it's not). Most politician are corrupt and do the bidding for their rich donors. There has been studies shown that the rich get the policies that benefits them more often than ones that benefit the poor. The party these politicians are in don't make a difference. So the real problem is money in politics.
The only true difference I see is that democrats are better at social issues compared to republicans. But that's not enough to actually help people in poverty.

I mean, even putting that aside, the two biggest issues with California are - .

1.) Housing - which is being stopped from being built in middle class SFH zones by suburban NIMBY's
2.) Prop 13 - a right-wing backed proposal that makes it basically impossibly to fund social services correctly.

The other truth is, it's much better to be a poor person in California than basically 80% of the United States, even if it's still quite shitty.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
As a republican in the thread I appreciate those who have been cordial. I try to have an open mind btw.

Dems need to stay united. Back in 16 they where at each other's throats and they lost. Seams like it's happening again.
Question: are you planning on voting Trump in november? are there any candidates out of this field that you would consider voting for? any you would 100% swear off?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like this narrative to stop in here that Warren is only staying in the fight to cause trouble or be manipulative of the process.

There are a lot of Warren backers. We want her to continue, and we want her to win. That's why she's staying in. Because she persists. It's dismissive of her and the people that back her to suggest otherwise.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Who would be a ideal VP choice for Sanders/Biden to beat Trump/Pence?
For Biden: Sanders. Only because it'll kill whatever dems-hate-Sanders-part-2 nonsense Trump and Putin have lined up. Two old guys isn't the best strategy, but it's decent for the more immediate mission of defeating Donald Trump. Also Trump and Pence don't want Sanders sticking around with dem ticket media attention.

For Sanders: Warren. Even after all this. I remain convinced that he's not going after her because he still wants to be able to have that potential card to play. Lucky for her Sanders would be able to undo a lot (all?) of this self-inflicted damage she's done.
Is Warren waiting to get embarrassed in her own state before she drops out?
Honestly? Probably. I could actually see her drop if she loses her own state. Whatever strategy she thinks she has, even if it's strictly to hurt Bernie, goes up in smoke if Sanders beats her in her state.
If Warren wants to 'help' she shouldn't be aiming for playing kingmaker at the convention, it should be when people are actually voting so it looks, you know, not shady.
I think she thinks she's going to be the kingmaker. I think she's going to be really disappointed if she sticks around and all the moderates pick one person and her choice doesn't really matter.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like "my guess is that they like (candidate) and want them to be president" is basically my catchphrase at this point, i really should have shot for something a bit more pithy....

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay so I can see Biden winning SC helping him with NC, but I do not think it will help him in Texas of CA. What do others think?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm? Sanders established a precedent to stay in the race long after it's possible to win it and I don't see why other candidates shouldn't be allowed to do that in 2020.
She's allowed, as long as people keep sending her money to burn, she's staying in.

Whether or not that's a good move politically, who knows? Maybe she'll come back in 4 years as a frontrunner like bernie did. Completing the Sanders style homage.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
I'd like this narrative to stop in here that Warren is only staying in the fight to cause trouble or be manipulative of the process.

There are a lot of Warren backers. We want her to continue, and we want her to win. That's why she's staying in. Because she persists. It's dismissive of her and the people that back her to suggest otherwise.
What states do you think she is going to win?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Look I live in California which is the worst state in the country for poor people probably. Worst homeless rate in the country. I also believe California has the worst debt. California has been a dem state for what 30 years? Then I think what's the best state to live in financially. Texas comes straight to mind. Texas probably being the most republican.

Maybe someone could educate me as to why the most dem state is the worst off for the poorest people. That's a serious question btw.

I look at the poor situation here and think maybe the more government try's to help people the more it enables them. Maybe I'm totally wrong there idk.

I don't hate my union either. If I did wouldn't I have left? I did a non union apprenticeship. And then later joined the union. If I hated my union I wouldn't be in it.

California is the most populated state in the country, why wouldn't it have the worst debt? Using counting stats for this instead of debt as a share of personal income % is pretty silly man. You should look at this statistic which will show Republican states like Mississippi in the mix.

Also I'm not sure how you're judging 'most dem states' but places like Massachusetts certainly would be up there anyway.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
OK, I have to ask this, because I've been curious for a while. Those of you in this thread quoting Marx (whom I've read, although it's also been a while; but I also have a MSc in economic policy and a couple of law degrees, which are proxy enough to avoid historical idiocy): what is your end-state?

I know that samoyed and I touched on this in a thread a long, long time ago, but I was remiss in following up.

Is this more about correcting the imbalance of political power but still adhering to the U.S.' constitutional republic system? I can visualize a social democratic republic here.

Or maybe I'm just taking the references and memes the wrong way entirely.

Oct 27, 2017

Yah because Warren is a pure angel with nothing but the greatest intentions and not, you know, a politician

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

California is the most populous state in the union. Naturally they're going to have more homeless. Both Texas and California's major metro areas are primarily governed by democratic administrations yet one has fewer homeless. Citing people in need as an example of poor governing isn't that simple and you need to dig down further to find the root cause. NIMBYism is a huge one in California and has driven people to the streets far more than some singular democratic government. Texas is blessed with a huge amount of wealth through energy and banking and ten million less residents. So ultimately if you want to know why things are the way they are you should do the research and not fall back on "well there are poor people here so it must be jerry browns doing"

I'm not being glib either, I'm simply trying to explain the problems are more complex than you seem to grasp

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

JFC NO

No.

I spent my whole life in Texas, it's one of the WORST states to be poor in, and it can be an expensive state to live in. You HAVE to own a car, you have to pay more for healthcare, you have no union and only $7.50 minimum wage, almost no social services for poor families. Just no. And we also have a ton of homeless people but the weather in Texas will kill you outside in a year.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Since when does the public debt of a nation-state have any direct correlation to the number in your bank account?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Here's something I struggled with when I voted on Friday, I looked up the ballot early and did research on every race that was there. You know how hard it is to find out what the Democratic candidates for NC Treasurer stand for? It's almost impossible, I could find almost nothing about any of them. The only reason one of the judges was in the news was because there was a controversy.

Is this just a function of less local newspapers or is this how it always is? It was super frustrating and I ended up not voting in two of the races because I could find out nothing about them.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
What ever it takes to make sure Bernie loses to maintain the status quo it seems. Though I'd would be halarious to see Warren be able to stay in the race being funded by a rich ex-republican.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[
Thanks for the response! I guess my question is while a president does have a lot of exposure to the public, ALL of the things you are talking about needs to be passed by Congress. If Congress was progressive enough to want those things, barring a presidential veto (against Congress) the policies would be enacted. Do you believe Bernie Sanders could actually get something like that passed (this is assuming Dems have both houses... otherwise :( )? Like I just heard Biden today saying "we'll make community colleges free". While that's obviously not the full "public colleges are free", isn't that a start in the right direction? Would you not think the next logical step would be going towards Bernie's plan? I could definitely Bernie doing well on fighting white supremacy. That's where you really need a no nonsense attitude.

Do you mind giving me a source on the 120 bil? That sounds pretty reasonable, but I generally get the impression that Sanders likes to be pretty optimistic with these estimates and nothing EVER goes according to plan.

I agree that everyone should have healthcare and the stories I read about it are pretty terrible. I feel like largely the Dem debate is about HOW to go about it and what would be the best approach. Obama did spend plenty of years trying to improve the healthcare system with the ACA, so I'm not sure where the "Biden will do none of these things". I totally get if you don't think ACA improvements will be enough, but it's still trying to accomplish the same goal maybe more incrementally. It's just that as with anything, trying to redo it all over again is hard to do right. M4A sounds like a cool idea, but if it's done poorly, it could end up being a different type of disaster. Jon Oliver also mentioned the ~1.8M people currently in that current industry and where do they go under a M4A plan (I'm not sure if Bernie has given a solution to this, but if not it's pretty important). Basically people need to be super meticulous with any plan and think through all the options. Even with all that effort, things can go awry. A more incremental plan can have less risks in that regard. The fact that I can't see any prior work for Bernie makes me skeptical that he'll have all the pieces to do something like this well. Just my 2 cents. I'll obviously vote for him if he's the nominee, because I do like his end goals.

I don't think M4A would pass, but I think it's an important to help drive Americans more to the left on healthcare. I would be satisfied with a public option in the mean time. I think if given no other option, Bernie would compromise there rather than sticking with status quo.

Having trouble finding any actual studies on the cost, this article links to DoE data and its the same number Bernie gives out, which is $79 billion, not $120 billion. I used $120b because I'm pretty sure that was a high estimate from some think tank, but can't remember which. Most seems to quote around $70-80 billion.

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

California is not the worst state to be poor in by pretty much any metric. That would be places like Mississippi or Florida.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Imagine working with the Obama administration
to being begged by Sanders to run
to being the plans candidate
to backing up Sanders in the early debates
to attacking Sanders for a thing that your own people claim wasn't said
to being left out in the cold by everyone for your own actions
to taking super pac money after fighting against super pacs three weeks ago
to staying in the race just to hurt the one person who has spent this entire primary cycle avoiding you and looking into giving you unprecedented power in their administration.

Imagine being that person.
My opinion of her has dropped majorly in the past months, this year has not been good for Warren

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Clyburn, can anyone tell me why he's so important vs any old random local/state politician endorsing someone?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yah because Warren is a pure angel with nothing but the greatest intentions and not, you know, a politician

Where is this coming from? I don't understand the hostility. Sanders and Biden have been in the politics game for decades. Warren has only been a Senator since 2013, with no prior political experience, but she does have experience getting shit done. Of course she is being strategic, but there's a difference between that and being underhanded.

Status
Not open for further replies.