• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This Month's Elections are:

Alaska (April 4th) - Vote By Mail Only

All ballots due by the 10th, with results expected by April 11th.

Hawaii (April 4th) - Vote By Mail Only

Results expected by... seriously, May 22nd? What is this, California?

Wyoming Caucus (April 4th) - Vote By Mail Only

It's... not really a caucus anymore, huh? Well, c'est la vie. You need to have made a ballot request by the 31st of March, so I hope everyone in WY did. For everyone else, results are expected by the 17th.

Wisconsin (April 7th) - Legally Mandated On This Date

This is a Big Deal Election, with the fate of the State Supreme Court in the balance, but it's worth repeating: practice social distancing. If you can vote by mail, do so.

Puerto Rico (April 26th) - Probably Getting Moved Back or Canceled

Already got pushed back once, and it'll probably get moved again, assuming it hasn't already and I just missed it.

Ohio Primary (April 28th) - Mail In Only

Soooooo in a move that was technically illegal, but still probably a good idea, DeWine basically pressued the courts into letting him cancel in-person voting and move the date. We should have results... at some point. That said, there's reports of ballots not getting mailed out to all registered voters, so check your registration and see if you can get your hands on one.

And... that's it. Unsurprisingly, quite a bit got canceled this month, on account of quarantine (WASH YOUR HANDS).

Official Staff Communication
Discussion guidelines are the same as the last thread, with one addendum bolded below.

First and foremost: no hostility. No sniping, no trolling, no antagonizing. No assuming other people are being disingenuous. If you believe that these behaviors are on display, use the report button. Do not respond to them with your own hostility or try to clap back. Let the moderation team handle it, and please understand that not everything that bothers you is going to be actionable.

Second, no metacommentary. No unquoted "wow there's a lot of centrists/leftists/dirtbags in here" type posts. Certainly no quoted variant on that. The same applies for directly or indirectly calling out other communities. Again, if you have reason to believe that something untoward is happening, report it or PM a mod captain or I suppose myself. This can be difficult to discern without extensive experience in the topic, which not all mods have. Your reports on this are extremely valuable.

Third, try to avoid posting tweets without context or commentary. We would like to encourage people to actually engage with what they're posting, and zero-context tweets tend to be either due to posters rushing to be the first with news, or else trying to let Twitter users make their arguments for them. In either case, it clogs up the thread. This rule is less strictly enforced than the others with one notable excpetion: we're keeping a close eye out for anybody attempting to use people from underpriveleged groups as a bludgeon or shield. If a black user tells you that they took issue with something that you said, "but this black person on Twitter says it's okay" is not a valid response. That's dismissing racism (extrapolate out the terminology for people doing the same with LGBT issues, women's issues, etc.) and will be moderated as such.

Fourth, conspiracy theorizing is forbidden. To make it clear what this means, you can speak and speculate about bias, conflicts of interest, nepotism, all kinds of mundane ways that human nature can effect the process, but if you're alleging an actual organized conspiracy to rig or alter results, that's another matter.

You can make jokes, you can be enthusiastic about your candidate. Try to avoid putting down other peoples', as that kind of behavior tends to start fights, but we will not be moderating people simply for not liking something your favorite said or did. If you don't think they're being fair, you can of course try to address them without violating the above rules. If you do not believe you can address a post without breaking the rules, it's most likely time to use the report button or reach out to the team directly. I would also encourage everyone to make use of their ignore lists if it's become clear that a poster you dislike isn't crossing any lines. If other peoples' (non-hateful) political opinions bother you that much, it might be better to just stop seeing them.

In recent weeks we have seen a sharp rise in the use of 'dementia' as a denigrating term to attack politicians and public figures. It is fine to comment on a politician's presence of mind, it is not okay to arbitrarily assign a diagnosis. Using the word dementia as a pejorative, or even just casual misuse of the term, can have a profound impact on those living with dementia, and how they are viewed and treated in society. It can also influence how others think about dementia and increase the likelihood of a person with dementia experiencing stigma or discrimination.

As our site aims to be inclusive, we will be moderating this and other forms of ableist language much more harshly going forward.

We've introduced warnings into the ban escalation for this thread. The floor for a contextless tweet is a warning, to make sure nobody gets slapped with a week off for something normally never actioned. After that, and for more serious first offenses, you get a week off. Anybody who merits a second week off due to repeat offenses will instead be given a ban of 3 months or until July 22nd, 2020; whichever is longer. This will kick in on April 22! Or 21st, depending on the timezone of the staff member who banned you.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Geez, not exactly any barn burners this month aside maybe from Wisconsin.

Edit: And Ohio I guess from above but I completely gave up on keeping track after mailing my ballot in.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Oof..I didn't even realize Ohio went mail in only.. Been so focused on work and Covid-19.

I wonder if that's why I haven't gotten my absentee ballot yet. I mailed my request in two weeks ago when the primary was postponed. Maybe there's a backlog?

Edit: Just checked tracker and it has toda6y date for application, so hopefully they'll be mailing me a ballot soon.

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Oof..I didn't even realize Ohio went mail in only.. Been so focused on work and Covid-19.

I wonder if that's why I haven't gotten my absentee ballot yet. I mailed my request in two weeks ago when the primary was postponed. Maybe there's a backlog?

Edit: Just checked tracker and it has toda6y date for application, so hopefully they'll be mailing me a ballot soon.

My ballot has been waiting to be counted since the day before the primary was originally scheduled. I thought I was cutting it close, and then the same day DeWine postponed everything.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Alaska must have a closed primary because I don't see anything about it on the ballot I got in the mail today.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hopefully Biden's rape allegation makes it on TV, one day (preferably sooner than later). People deserve to know.. victims deserve to know their voice may be heard if they choose to speak out.

I talked to my parents and they had no idea, despite lots of credible sources reporting on it online.

I guess that's what it's gunna take for the word to get out.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I've been watching videos of Biden and he actually does appear to going senile. I thought it was just a Republican talking point but the way he just seems to drift off reminds me of my Grandpa when he started to lose his marbles. This is really not good. Trump is going to get 4 more years.

less

Oct 25, 2017

Turbo bad numbers for Bernie in this poll especially when compared to Biden. Well, the Dem primary is all but over so it doesn't really matter much but throw it on the pile.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Until July 22): Second Violation of the Primary OT Staff Post Regarding Trolling
He's down 33% in new poll. So yea probably.

Link
holy crap lmao

Assuming this bears out on election day, how is this helping progressives? How does getting beaten 65-32 by an allegedly dementia-riddled rapist who's been hiding in his bunker for the past few weeks help advance his policy goals and his "movement"? It's embarrassing.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
holy crap lmao

Assuming this bears out on election day, how is this helping progressives? How does getting beaten 65-32 by an allegedly dementia-riddled rapist who's been hiding in his bunker for the past few weeks help advance his policy goals and his "movement"? It's embarrassing.

yea it isn't. He loses leverage everytime he gets blown out. He isn't helping anyone at this point.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Delaying the primary isn't the answer.. Moving to all mail-in is the answer.
It would be a great policy, to be sure, though it wouldn't turn Bernie's fortunes around.

Delaying the Wisconsin primary is also the right move, so naturally the Wisconsin GOP opposes it because their mission in life is to be as pointlessly evil and petulant as possible.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a great policy, to be sure, though it wouldn't turn Bernie's fortunes around.

Delaying the Wisconsin primary is also the right move, so naturally the Wisconsin GOP opposes it because their mission in life is to be as pointlessly evil and petulant as possible.

Someone posted the motive before. Something about the GOP securing a state supreme court pick?

Oct 27, 2017
The polling in a hypothetical general election match-up with Trump for Bernie is pretty harrowing. Combine that with his inability to effectively turn out voters and those demographics which are reliable left leaning constituencies -- it's not an encouraging look. Not only would he be in tough to beat Trump but he would likely have no chance of flipping the Senate and could conceivably cost us the House.

Thankfully the policies are mostly popular across ideological lines. Generally speaking. If we can ever put forth an effective messenger who can unite instead of divide, this country will actually see the leftward shift it needs to enact.

Oct 27, 2017
Left leaning independents. Moderates and progressives. Younger voters who feel disillusioned by the political process. Those who welcome progressive policies but feel like they're being demonized as the establishment.

Bernie Sanders isn't an effective messenger because he's needlessly divisive and not trusted by a lot of people who are wholly supportive of the policies in his platform but not the man himself.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Left leaning independents. Moderates and progressives. Younger voters who feel disillusioned by the political process. Those who welcome progressive policies but feel like they're being demonized as the establishment.

Bernie Sanders isn't an effective messenger because he's needlessly divisive and not trusted by a lot of people who are wholly supportive of the policies in his platform but not the man himself.
The highlighted is the most telling part of your sentence, it's incredibly obvious that the establishment refers to elites and the normal people who believe themselves to be targeted by that rhetoric were told that they were by pundits who's job it is protect power and bad faith actors who are doing the actual dividing. There is no truce to be made with people who moneyed interest in opposing your policies even if they have a D next to their name.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
In lieu of Wisconsin... Arizona, Michigan and Pennsylvania also does it. Mark Kelly is very favorable and if the primary is any indication, turnout could be massive in AZ come November.

VP Whitmer would guarantee Michigan, and Biden will carry PA. This is some encouraging news.

Plus I still think Biden's got a decent shot at Florida.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
frankly I don't think Biden needs Whitmer to win Michigan. The primary results make it pretty clear Michigan just hated Hillary.

I don't either, but after 2016 I would not leave anything to chance. Plus Whitmer continues to impress. Ideally I'd like her to be in the spotlight a bit longer before getting shoved into a possible presidency, but... <shrug>

less

Oct 25, 2017
Biden taking WI would be the end of Presidential election for sure. I don't see us not getting enough states to win if we are winning WI.

The House will be safe so no real worries there. We are just left with the Senate which was always going to be tough but with Biden is doable if things go our way.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

More like those who want to think of themselves as eminently ethical and progressive minded people, but are not actually willing to compromise on many aspects of their privilidge to make genuine change for the less privilidged a reality.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The highlighted is the most telling part of your sentence, it's incredibly obvious that the establishment refers to elites and the normal people who believe themselves to be targeted by that rhetoric were told that they were by pundits who's job it is protect power and bad faith actors who are doing the actual dividing. There is no truce to be made with people who moneyed interest in opposing your policies even if they have a D next to their name.

I mean, in 2016, activist groups like Planned Parenthood were getting called "establishment" derisively, and I know a few folks who weren't exactly thrilled to be targeted by that. No media made them feel that way. Quotes from his campaign did:

"It's understandable and consistent with the establishment organizations voting for the establishment candidate, but it's an endorsement that cannot possibly be based on the facts and the record."

People that volunteer and donate to orgs like that (the above comment was about Planned Parenthood and the Human Rights Campaign) aren't going to read a quote like that and think "this dude likes me."

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
what kinda of response is that...just reeks of "fuck you". Sure say it to a union i guess but....isn't there a better way of being disappointed then smearing?