• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even understand what her argument is here.
Then you are part of the problem. /s

Seriously though, imagine being this rich person with a lot of influence attacking a local store with 6k followers on social media for...selling sugar-free stuff for vegans, celiacs and people with diabetes? I don't have those health issues and I'd gladly buy something at their business if that's the case.

I can see some deranged fans taking time to shit on that store just because Demi said so or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel as though there's a common thread in this kind of criticism/activism/whatever you want to call it. I'm having a terrible time putting it into words, but it feels like often times people have such an insular view of a particular issue that anything that is even remotely related to the issue is perceived as a personal attack. Reminiscent of old tumblr maybe where support of certain (good!) causes was often used as an excuse to be venomous to others. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a better read on it?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah that was just stupid, the doubling down because she didn't consider some people have to eat sugar free even moreso.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather food items have correct labels rather than being a mystery, Demi.

You know, just for the sake of making it easier for people to know what they're eating.

Sugar. Gluten. Meat. Soy. Dairy. Nuts. Whatever.

The more labels the better to help people make informed choices and, potentially, avoid dangerous reactions.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I feel as though there's a common thread in this kind of criticism/activism/whatever you want to call it. I'm having a terrible time putting it into words, but it feels like often times people have such an insular view of a particular issue that anything that is even remotely related to the issue is perceived as a personal attack. Reminiscent of old tumblr maybe where support of certain (good!) causes was often used as an excuse to be venomous to others. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a better read on it?
Honestly sounds like here a lot of the time!

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Is this one of those times where your life is so privileged and nice that you invent problems out of nothing?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean. Isn't sugar-free really important to diabetics.

Sure. And people who don't want to become diabetic, or just people who want to try to eat a bit healthier, but still eat a cookie or two once in a while...you know...normal people. The whole point of this is just how completely disconnected Demi and her ilk, are from just normal people who don't have personal trainers and dieticians and are maybe struggling with obesity and overeating like most Americans are. Demi should donate a large chunk of money to this small business and publicly apologize. There is no chance for this small cookie shop to even have a chance of being successful in taking legal action against her, but, she should just be the bigger person and try to help them out of this mess she's created for them.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then you are part of the problem. /s

Seriously though, imagine being this rich person with a lot of influence attacking a local store with 6k followers on social media for...selling sugar-free stuff for vegans, celiacs and people with diabetes? I don't have those health issues and I'd gladly buy something at their business if that's the case.

I can see some deranged fans taking time to shit on that store just because Demi said so or something.
And frankly, who cares why they're selling sugar free stuff? They owe her no explanation. They don't need to explain that it's for vegans or people with celiacs or people with diabetes. It's for anyone that wants it, period. Having sugar free options is not shaming anyone or being insensitive to triggering people.

What a silly thing to be upset about.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Demi Lovato up to her old shit, I see. Remember when she tried to call out Taylor Swift for donating money to Kesha for her ongoing trial against Dr. Luke instead of... tweeting about it? Yeah, sounds about Demi.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's kind of wild that Lovato seems to have learned zero lessons about how abusive and harmful her fanbase is capable of being, especially after some of the stuff that went down following her overdose. There's an entire segment in her recent documentary about a friend of hers that was falsely blamed for the incident - and how the online backlash completely ruined her career.

Then after her album got a bad review from some publication, fans spread a fake tweet where the reviewer was "cheering" over her near-death experience.

Stan culture is wildly destructive, and any star that intentionally sicks their followers on somebody else for something as beingn as sugar free yogurt is undeserving of fame - plain and simple.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

I read her post, I read Big Chill's response, and I read all the era posts explaining it. But I still don't get it

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
tenor.gif

I read her post, I read Big Chill's response, and I read all the era posts explaining it. But I still don't get it

I THINK she's saying that offering sugar-free cookies makes people think they'd be OK to eat them vs regular cookies...?

But that's kind of the point...

EDIT: Yeah Im pretty sure that's what she means

"harmful messaging from brands or [companies] that perpetuate a society that not only enables but praises disordered eating."

She seems to think that calling them sugar-free is misleading and attempting to trick people into eating them?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She might have the right intentions somewhere deep down inside but this just comes off as some rich person disconnected from reality just acting like a dickhead because the world didn't warp itself to fit her tunnel vision. Eating disorders are terrible and should be taken seriously but this ain't it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well at least it seems like the shop in positive social media interactions (being serious):

Login • Instagram

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Went up to nearly 10k followers and the comments on their recent posts are showing support.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is something for her to take up with her therapist. Her eating disorder sounds like it really did a number on her mental health (unsurprisingly).

Needs to think more about how she uses social media though. Like a lot of others she just broadcasts complaints to the entire internet, but negative effects will be amplified a million fold when you're a super-celebrity.

Oct 26, 2017
What a weird thing to get hung up on. There's lots of reasons to want to promote sugar free things and not all of them are weight related.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
She might have the right intentions somewhere deep down inside but this just comes off as some rich person disconnected from reality just acting like a dickhead because the world didn't warp itself to fit her tunnel vision.
Well yeah, imagine being around people who can't tell you: "Shut up, you're wrong", because they would lose their jobs. That's how I imagine most celebrities daily life, living around employees and not actual people who can point out that you're acting like an asshole for no reason.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't calling something "sugar free" better than calling something "diet"? Maybe " no sugar" is better?

She didn't exactly offer an alternative other than pointing out it's for diabetics, but is that any better for people who might be suffering from it to be called out?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
We need less sugar in our foods, not more.

Sugarfree isn't supposed to mean you can eat as much as you want. If people think that, I feel like that's their own fault.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Her walkback was basically an attempt to still shame the store, just in a different way. I really hate it when people can't just fucking apologize like a normal human being.

DIABETIC-FRIENDLY SUGAR-FREE FROYO
DO YOU HAVE DIABETES
THIS PRODUCT IS FOR YOU

Now I'm picturing all sorts of embarrassing signs instead of just "sugar free"

FOOD FOR DIABETICS ONLY

NORMAL YOGURT LINE TO RIGHT, "SPECIAL" YOGURT TO LEFT

PLEASE YELL FOR A STAFF MEMBER IF YOU HAVE SPECIAL DIETARY NEEDS

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

My take on it is that she seems to think that labeling things as "diet" or "sugar free" only serves to reinforce "LA diet culture" which puts unhealthy expectations on people regarding their bodies as opposed to emphasizing health. When it was brought to her attention that "hey, the reason we label stuff as sugar free is because we have customers who have diabetes or celiacs who might need that" her response was "Well call it Diabetic Yogurt instead of Sugar Free yogurt", because apparently people would prefer to call attention to their health issues every time they go out to have yogurt or a cookie.

Its an absolutely ridiculous, out of touch and over the top reaction. In a bit of fairness, she has very openly struggled with eating disorders, so that is obviously going to impact her perspective on this, but even still, if you really think its a problem, why not try and reach out to the owners of the place privately instead of turning it into a huge attention getting social media moment?

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Sure. And people who don't want to become diabetic, or just people who want to try to eat a bit healthier, but still eat a cookie or two once in a while...you know...normal people. The whole point of this is just how completely disconnected Demi and her ilk, are from just normal people who don't have personal trainers and dieticians and are maybe struggling with obesity and overeating like most Americans are. Demi should donate a large chunk of money to this small business and publicly apologize. There is no chance for this small cookie shop to even have a chance of being successful in taking legal action against her, but, she should just be the bigger person and try to help them out of this mess she's created for them.

Oh of course, most my snacks are sugar free because Id rather not have sugar or calories I don't need. I was being facetious because like this is the dumbest fucking celebrity cause I've heard of

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In the words of NeoGAF ten years ago: Fuck Demi.

How disconnected do you have to do to think that food options at a freaking frozen yogurt shop get to be run as some litmus test for your own sensibilities? And then to take issue with the healthy ones?! C'mon.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
She might have the right intentions somewhere deep down inside but this just comes off as some rich person disconnected from reality just acting like a dickhead because the world didn't warp itself to fit her tunnel vision. Eating disorders are terrible and should be taken seriously but this ain't it.

She would rather put diabetic people on blast than deal with the reality that what she enjoyed might be considered 'unhealthy'.

There was no right intention in this. She wanted to have her cake and eat it too. Eating disorders are a legit thing, but trying to hold others accountable for having a personal guilt trip is some wild shit.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
So places shouldn't offer sugar free deserts because people have eating disorders?

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This post is wild in a lot of ways already mentioned. Also though, I think its super important to highlight the fact that dieting does not automatically mean an eating disorder, plenty of people are eating healthier foods to achieve or maintain a healthy body weight, not because they have body issues and are starving themselves. Terrible post form her here.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think she's saying that sugar-free or diet options front and center promotes "LA diet culture"' - that is, losing weight is the biggest thing, make sure you're skinny etc.

She argues they need to label those things as needed for people with diabetes, vegan diets, celiac disease, etc.

It's really aggressive and weird, and I'm honestly confused why she thought this would be a good look (or her publicist not stopping her etc)
My guess would be they're front and center because they're top sellers. Being in LA, it's probably what a lot of people look for.

The thing about this whole thing that's really weird to me is that she has issues and she's well aware of it, but she doesn't seem to get that this reaction is due to her issues.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She seems to think that calling them sugar-free is misleading and attempting to trick people into eating them?

but it is.

here in mexico the goverment mandated some label seals that say if the product has "Excessive sugar" "excessive fat" and stuff like that

AND EVERY FUCKING "healthy" option, has those seals.

even "low sugar" shit has "Excessive sugar" labels

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
While I understand that she has struggled with a severe eating disorder, I think turning "sugar-free" into "diabetic" for things like treats can make people with diabetes feel othered. Also, frozen yogurt itself can be seen as the diet version of ice cream. Not a fan of her using "culture vulture" as she did either.